Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: The Talisman / Black House

Ubersnob Frunobulax is on a distinguished road Frunobulax's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Black House definitely brings in more of the mythos than The Talisman, though.
    My favorite bands can kick your favorite bands' asses.

The horizon is right and motionless like the EKG of a dying woman.

Mother of Dragons Erin will become famous soon enough Erin will become famous soon enough Erin's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I loved The Talisman.

The Black House, however, I have not read. Well, I take that back. I've read about the first few chapters, but then was forced by schoolwork to put it down for awhile and never picked it back up. It's on my reading list for the summer. The Black House, Eyes of the Dragon and Lisey's Story are the only King books i've never read.
    I am Daenerys Stormborn and I will take what is mine. With fire and blood.

Sleep Controller ZoNeSeeK is on a distinguished road ZoNeSeeK's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

They are all fantastic books, Erin.
    "You can lead a whore to culture but you can't make her think." - Duma Key
    zoneseek@thedarktower.com

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    I loved The Talisman.

The Black House, however, I have not read. Well, I take that back. I've read about the first few chapters, but then was forced by schoolwork to put it down for awhile and never picked it back up. It's on my reading list for the summer. The Black House, Eyes of the Dragon and Lisey's Story are the only King books i've never read.
    I still can't believe you haven't read Eys of the Dragon. It makes me cry a little on the inside.
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Erin, you have a cool summer ahead - those are three of my favourites

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Same here--you will zoom through Eyes, its a really fun read.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Along the Path of the Beam MaraJShakespeare is on a distinguished road MaraJShakespeare's Avatar

Default Can't Wait For Book Three!

I loved The Talisman from the beginning; Black House, I had to read again in order to really appreciate it. Last year, I picked up the Grant Talisman/Black House set, which is the best presentation of both of them; rereading them that way was a true pleasure. They really are beautifully put-together books, as are all of the Grant editions I've encountered. I hope King and Straub do wind up writing a third book in the series. Not only is three one of the most powerful of sacred numbers (the supernal triad of holy Kabbalah, etc.), the story remains unfinished.
    Spoiler:
    I don't know what, if any, Dark Tower connections there would be, as Jack Sawyer's path does not cross Roland's in any visible way in the last volumes of that series. Perhaps something he did, or will do, did have some further effect upon Roland's quest, but it would seem difficult to me to keep up suspense in such a situation, as we know what befalls Roland once he gets there. I don't know; King and Straub are quite clever; perhaps a third volume in The Talisman series would involve Roland's implied next go-round. With Jack injured and perhaps permanently stuck in the other world- or can he travel to 'other worlds than these?'- anything can happen, after all. . .
    We place no reliance
    Upon virgin or pigeon;
    Our method is science,
    Our aim is religion!

-Motto of Aleister Crowley

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

The Talisman is such a good book(one of my favorites actually)
    Black House... I wasnt so crazy about it on my first go round
    but feel better about it after having read it again.
    I eagerly await the third book.

The answer is within

all matter is energy, all energy is GOD

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

I liked The Talisman quite a bit, but Black House with all its deep and important Dark Tower connections and real horror feel to it and I am a big Lord Malshun fan..just makes it one of my favorite non-Dark Tower books.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Yes. It's mostly the use of the present tense. Rather annoying.
    This was what took me a bit to get into Black House. Once I got used to it, it smoothed it out for me.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm rereading Black House - and even though I always list it as one of my favourite books, and Henry Leyden as one of my favourite characters (as well as ole Travellin' Jack of course) I had forgotten exactly how much I loved it. I would totally recommend a reread to anyone who struggled with it first time around - its a very gratifying read.

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I need to do that. I LOVED The Talisman, but wasn't too keen on Black House. I read it a LONG time ago, though, so I think I need to reread and see if I still feel that way.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Country
    Country Flag

The third book will be set primarily in the Territories - I am really looking forward to this one, as its related in location to midworld in a way. There will be plenty of references I think .. who knows, it could all be happening when Roland reaches the tower.

Remember, Susannah saw the
    Spoiler:
    lights of the Big Combination in DT7? That indicates that the events of black house havent happened yet but are probably about to.
    I wonder if the tower will play a part in the 3rd book. I hope so.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh man, me too.

I really loved these two books. Jack is one of those characters that feels like family the moment you meet him.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Breaker Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, thats the feeling I got from him too

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ZoNeSeeK View Post
    Remember, Susannah saw the
    Spoiler:
    lights of the Big Combination in DT7? That indicates that the events of black house havent happened yet but are probably about to.
    I wonder if the tower will play a part in the 3rd book. I hope so.
    Zone, can you come in the Black House discussion thread in Tower connections and reference (chpt, pg no. etc) that quote for me?...I'm trying to work out the timeline and CK and I figured it as slightly different to what your reference would make it.

Country
    Country Flag

Hrm .. ill have to look through the book to find it. Do you have a copy of Bev Vincent's The Road to the Dark Tower? The reference is quoted in there in respect to the timeline, if someone has it on hand and can have a look for me (Daghain?) - my copy is at home.

Its something along the lines of
    Spoiler:
    how she saw a large, red glow on the horizon and wondered about (something like) what kind of machnery or place could be responsible for it .. or something like that. This happens quite a bit before Dandelo I am thinking, perhaps from the castle where her and Mia go to discuss? Its oly alluded to - the Big Combination isn't actually mentioned directly but it seems to fit with the scenes from the end of Black House.
    Ill try and remember to look for the reference when I get home if noone can find it before then.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I'll try and check in a bit. I need dinner first! Plus, the book is buried on my desk somewhere - I REALLY need to straighten out my office.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

The Decoy Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

I loved the Talisman, and loved Blackhouse almost as much. The beginning of Blackhouse was really hard for me to get into for some reason.
    A true firewasp ninja would never wear such a ridiculous sweater.

There's logic in nonsense.

Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ZoNeSeeK View Post
    Hrm .. ill have to look through the book to find it. Do you have a copy of Bev Vincent's The Road to the Dark Tower?
    No, but I've bought the complete Concordance - it should be arriving soon...theres a postal strike here though so I may be waiting some time

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Bev's book is not bad, but it's got a limited number of topics in it. The Concordance is definitely worth it, IMHO.

They're apples and muffin-balls. The Road to the Dark Tower is Mr. Vincent's examination of the series book by book and the Concordance is the Dark Tower encyclopedia. I'm guessing Ms. Furth will be doing an update on the Concordance considering it is now not complete.

Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, Road is like a long analytical essay exploring the series, it shouldn't be compared to Concordance as a reference book. I really enjoyed Road, I liked the way it flowed and its a really good book to re-read and get all of the series factoids in your head again without rereading the whole series.

Traveler April'sFool is on a distinguished road

If I may, The Talisman and Black House are two of the greatest non-Tower books King has written. I absolutely adore both Wolf and Henry, and of course Jack is awesome at any age. I personally loved the style of Black House, it's so different and captivating...

Spoiler:
    One thing I'm pissed about, though, is that my dad (who turned me onto the books, so I guess I can't complain too much) told me that Wolf and Henry died before I got that far. Thanks a lot, Daddy Dearest.

Not only you may but you're encouraged. If you didn't I would be upset. I loved the style of Black House too just took me the first two chapters to get used to.
    Oh and sorry about what happened, I don't know what he was thinking, if he even was thinking, to tell you about that before you read the books.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast