Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 159 of 262 FirstFirst ... 59 109 149 157 158 159 160 161 169 209 259 ... LastLast
Results 3,951 to 3,975 of 6527

Thread: Stephen King Proofs

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, Gerald, for the photos. I have never seen a Carrie proof before either.

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Very nice! And you have two of most of those?

The CARRIE proof was signed exactly 41 years ago !
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
    ------------------------------------------------

Gunslinger Apprentice neo_trinity is a splendid one to behold neo_trinity is a splendid one to behold neo_trinity is a splendid one to behold neo_trinity is a splendid one to behold neo_trinity is a splendid one to behold neo_trinity is a splendid one to behold neo_trinity's Avatar

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by herbertwest View Post
    Very nice! And you have two of most of those?

The CARRIE proof was signed exactly 41 years ago !
    I am glad you like. Yes, I picked today (the 41st anniversary) to share with you all something that many have been asking for years to see.

It's possible, but I don't believe that there has ever been a more prolific writer that has been continuously publishing for over 40+ years. Not as successful, anyways. While reading the stories of how poorly the attendees were treated in Florida the past couple of days, I remembered that this April will mark the 41st year that Stephen has been doing public signings. It's an amazing accomplishment.

Gunslinger Apprentice neo_trinity is a splendid one to behold neo_trinity is a splendid one to behold neo_trinity is a splendid one to behold neo_trinity is a splendid one to behold neo_trinity is a splendid one to behold neo_trinity is a splendid one to behold neo_trinity's Avatar

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post
    You're welcome. I have a quick question. By any chance, does your "Night Shift", or any other copy, contain a publicity sheet that has been either loosely inserted, or stapled inside on the title page? The reason I ask is that your copies appear to not have the glue residues that would accompany the salesman review sheets on the cover. Mine do, but also my Night Shift has a second publicity sheet inside that appears to once have been stapled on the cover (one copy has two staple holes in the top). It leads me to believe that this sheet, which contains a brief bio, pricing points, ISBN, LC and story descriptions, was once on the cover, but was later substituted inside.

As none of my copies contains the review sheet on the cover, I cannot compare it to that text to see how it differs.

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Gerald, if you don't mind sharing, what can you tell us about the history of the Carrie proof. I mean, the story behind you acquiring it. When it comes to rare items like this, it's interesting to learn of the journey that a book has taken and how it has ended up with the current owner. The stories behind the books are quite exciting to hear about.

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by neo_trinity View Post

You're welcome. I have a quick question. By any chance, does your "Night Shift", or any other copy, contain a publicity sheet that has been either loosely inserted, or stapled inside on the title page? The reason I ask is that your copies appear to not have the glue residues that would accompany the salesman review sheets on the cover. Mine do, but also my Night Shift has a second publicity sheet inside that appears to once have been stapled on the cover (one copy has two staple holes in the top). It leads me to believe that this sheet, which contains a brief bio, pricing points, ISBN, LC and story descriptions, was once on the cover, but was later substituted inside.
    My copy of Night Shift has a publicity sheet laid in that seems to have been once glued to the front cover of a proof. I'm not sure where it came from because my copy has no evidence of any glue residue. It was there when I bought it from Chris Cavalier. No staple holes that I can see in any of my Doubleday proofs.

Here is one of my favorite proofs. The first Shadows anthology from 1978 printing King's story "Nona" for, I think, the first time. It is no less rare, but not nearly as expensive, as the King novels from the same period. I pulled it out today because it is from the same era as the King novels and shows Doubleday's practice of pasting and in this case also stapling the review sheet to the front cover. In this case it was important that it did not come loose as the front cover of the proof was completely blank.

BTW, I can't believe that "stapling" is the correct spelling. I tried a few different spellings before the spell checker would accept it.

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by biomieg View Post
    Well I'm really just reiterating what I have read on the forum but as far as anyone knows there is no Carrie proof state (oblong or not), only the ARC. Rumours about a proof state and a different ARC state have been circulating for a long time though.

Bob (carlosdetweiller) has a picture somewhere (probably in this thread) with the proofs of the other early Doubleday books and three of them (NIGHT SHIFT, THE SHINING and THE STAND) are oblong shaped. This is probably why a putative CARRIE proof state is also thought to be in a similar format.
    In honor of the 41st Anniversary of my earliest Stephen King signature, I would like to share with you all, my “Doubleday Nine”.

While I have been reluctant in the past to share publicly my collection, the last few months with my son have forced me to re-evaluate my decisions. He is 14 months old now and while I am trying my best to teach him about sharing with others, I would be hypocritical in my part, if I don’t do the same.

In the words of a great story teller from Middle Earth, “Nine for Mortal Men, doomed to die.”

I hope you enjoy.
    Gerald

Thank you for sharing, Gerald. This has to be the ultimate King collectible.

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

My copy of Night Shift has a publicity sheet laid in that seems to have been once glued to the front cover of a proof. I'm not sure where it came from because my copy has no evidence of any glue residue. It was there when I bought it from Chris Cavalier. No staple holes that I can see in any of my Doubleday proofs.

Thank you Bob, my sheet is different than a review sheet. It looks like something the sales agent would quote to prospective book buyers to make them more familiar with Stephen's works in case they were unfamiliar.

On your sheet it says "A BRIEF DESCRIPTION: inside" I suppose this is what they are referring to. Thank you for your sheet. I had not seen one before.

I think all this goes to show that these were made for a specific purpose and not necessarily designed with collectors in mind.

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

I agree Bob. Before the advent of the Internet, the only way you would ever know about a book prior to publication was to own a bookstore and be told about it from your local Doubleday rep when he came calling.

As to the eventual fate of these proof copies, I guess when the book was published, these would be either discarded as they were merely tools of their trade, or put in a box at home with the eventual hope that they will read them one day. They may still exist, but if they haven't been looked after, their condition would show it, as the paper quality was inferior.

Jascar of the Wylde EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

As none of my copies contains the review sheet on the cover, I cannot compare it to that text to see how it differs.
    First off.. Thanks for sharing these pics. I made me feel a little better about my Shining Proof as it has the same glue residue smear on the front like yours. I recall seeing one previously that was a clean cover. My Shining proof has the sheet which had been on the front as well as a separate folded typed 8 1/2 x 11 sheet titled SALES REPRESENTATIVE REPORT ON MATERIAL READ.

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by EXPLORER View Post

First off.. Thanks for sharing these pics. I made me feel a little better about my Shining Proof as it has the same glue residue smear on the front like yours. I recall seeing one previously that was a clean cover. My Shining proof has the sheet which had been on the front as well as a separate folded typed 8 1/2 x 11 sheet titled SALES REPRESENTATIVE REPORT ON MATERIAL READ.
    You shouldn't feel bad if you have one. These are like hen's teeth. The glue residue just means that it was a sales agent copy that was out in the field and the tattered sheet would have torn off years ago. The glue would have crystallized after about 5 years, and most would have rubbed off by simply swiping your hands repeatedly over the cover.

The clean covers just mean that they were internal Doubleday copies that were not sent outside the building. Not all Crane's were for reps's. Some were for marketing, printing and editorial departments. These didn't have review sheets as they were not needed.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Gerald, I just want to thank you again for your invaluable insights and great pics of some of the rarest proofs.

John

Citizen of Gilead sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold

Country
    Country Flag

Great collection Gerald, thanks for sharing!

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

"One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Manni Folken The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Amazing stuff, Gerald. Thanks for posting.

Citizen of Gilead sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Br!an View Post
    Brian, your message box is full! -K

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

[QUOTE=neo_trinity;898836]
    I'd be interested seeing the table of contents for this proof. The promo copy says "The more than 25 stories..." but Night Shift was published with only 20 stories. We know from Bill Thompson's letter to SK that there were other tales under consideration that Thompson advised against. "The Man Who Would Not Shake Hands" is NOT in Night Shift -- it was in Skeleton Crew.

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post

I'd be interested seeing the table of contents for this proof. The promo copy says "The more than 25 stories..." but Night Shift was published with only 20 stories. We know from Bill Thompson's letter to SK that there were other tales under consideration that Thompson advised against. "The Man Who Would Not Shake Hands" is NOT in Night Shift -- it was in Skeleton Crew.
    It is the same as the finished book. 20 stories plus the introduction and foreword.

Goldmember Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

I wondered the same thing. Are the missing 5 in the proof?

"I got the answer, Bob is on here early with his cup of coffee"

Mulleins
    I'm the caretaker of Room 217..............I've always been the caretaker of Room 217

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

Thanks, Bob. I discussed the five extra stories under consideration at Stephen King Revisited. King also wanted to include some poems, but Thompson discouraged him from doing so.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Citizen of Gilead jcmanske is just really nice jcmanske is just really nice jcmanske is just really nice jcmanske is just really nice jcmanske is just really nice jcmanske's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default The Dark Man Advance Review Copies (Complete set)

Thanks to James of New Zealand for selling me the Orange ARC (which arrived today) enabling me to complete my set:

Demon of the Prim goheat will become famous soon enough goheat will become famous soon enough goheat's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jcmanske View Post
    Thanks to James of New Zealand for selling me the Orange ARC (which arrived today) enabling me to complete my set:
    Excellent, congratulations!
    "God punishes us for what we cannot imagine." - Stephen King, Duma Key

+ Reply to Thread
Page 159 of 262 FirstFirst ... 59 109 149 157 158 159 160 161 169 209 259 ... LastLast