Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 155 of 262 FirstFirst ... 55 105 145 153 154 155 156 157 165 205 255 ... LastLast
Results 3,851 to 3,875 of 6527

Thread: Stephen King Proofs

Goldmember Lot guy is a splendid one to behold Lot guy is a splendid one to behold Lot guy is a splendid one to behold Lot guy is a splendid one to behold Lot guy is a splendid one to behold Lot guy is a splendid one to behold Lot guy is a splendid one to behold

Very Nice, I love the case!!!!

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Wow!
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Servant of Gan George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Hi. I just came across this post and I wanted to let you know that Michael's copy is not unique. My set was printed by Hodder in 3 batches. The first batch, "One Past Midnight" contained "The Langoliers" and was printed on May 10, 1990. The second batch, "Two Past Midnight", contained "Secret Window, Secret Garden" and "The Library Policeman" and was printed on May 15, 1990. Batch three, "Four Past Midnight", contained "The Sun Dog" and was printed on May 16, 1990. The three batches were then combined by Gaby Naher (Press Officer for Hodder & Stoughton) and distributed to a few reviewers. My copy was sent to George Beahm on June 25, 1990 and after he received it on July 2, he in turn sold it to Barry Levin on July 5. The original fax from Gaby indicated the number of proofs that were being printed, but I have no further details as to whether or not they were. I have never been able to confirm the batch dates other collector's copies were printed on, to give a better picture of the printing schedule of this proof. Perhaps they could shed some light.
    I just thought you would like to know. Take care. Gerald
    Gerald, you must have seen my post from the other day (which I just updated with my info from four years ago that you just reposted which I couldn't find ... glad you did!). You should post all of your info and photos to the Four Past Midnight Proofs/ARCs page!
    WANT LIST: Any SK #186; Dark Man Unbound 1st Proof; FDNS Unbound 1st Proof; FDNS Black Tape Spine Proof; FDNS Unbound Color Proof

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm open to suggestions on if and how to add these to the listing at the beginning of this thread.

John

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for posting this Gerald. You certainly have some unique items.

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    I'm open to suggestions on if and how to add these to the listing at the beginning of this thread.

John
    John, I'd say to definitely include it in the list for completeness. Since it clearly exists, and it's an uncorrected proof.

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by neo_trinity View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by George at C-Springs View Post
    Received this wonderful post on SK Collector from Michael at Fine Edition Books in the UK (they also have two pristine copies of Twice the Power for sale, if you're looking to add a copy to your collection):

[I]The collectors of Stephen King proofs in general and TWICE THE POWER in particular may be interested to know that Hodder printed the sheets and (blue wrappers) for a solo proof of the UK hardcover edition of FOUR PAST MIDNIGHT, but abandoned the project in favour of the TWICE THE POWER omnibus. To the best of my knowledge, only one flat, mint set of the unbound sheets of the solo FOUR PAST MIDNIGHT proof survives, complete with an immaculate, flat blue wrapper.

TWICE THE POWER was not inexpensive to manufacture and is, therefore, in correspondingly short supply. A dozen battered copies were given to booksellers at the 1991 UK Fantasy Con in London - which is almost certainly the portal through which they escaped into the wicked world of the collector - but pristine copies are and always were in very short supply.
    The FOUR PAST MIDNIGHT solo proof sheets are almost certainly unique.

Thanks for the great information Michael. Anyone know anything about the flat, unbound sheets set he talks about? And it would be great to be able to tie anyone's copies directly to the 1991 UK Fantasy Con; perhaps an insert from the event, or something along those lines. If anyone has more info on the items mentioned, please let us know.

George
    Hi. I just came across this post and I wanted to let you know that Michael's copy is not unique. My set was printed by Hodder in 3 batches. The first batch, "One Past Midnight" contained "The Langoliers" and was printed on May 10, 1990. The second batch, "Two Past Midnight", contained "Secret Window, Secret Garden" and "The Library Policeman" and was printed on May 15, 1990. Batch three, "Four Past Midnight", contained "The Sun Dog" and was printed on May 16, 1990. The three batches were then combined by Gaby Naher (Press Officer for Hodder & Stoughton) and distributed to a few reviewers. My copy was sent to George Beahm on June 25, 1990 and after he received it on July 2, he in turn sold it to Barry Levin on July 5. The original fax from Gaby indicated the number of proofs that were being printed, but I have no further details as to whether or not they were. I have never been able to confirm the batch dates other collector's copies were printed on, to give a better picture of the printing schedule of this proof. Perhaps they could shed some light.

Very interesting, Gerald. I have a copy of the unbound sheets that comprise the solo Four Past Midnight proof by Hodder & Stoughton that is different from yours. I wonder if mine is similar to Michael's and you have an earlier state of the proof? My copy is the entire book rather than three separate parts.

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Gerald,
    With a similar appearance to the photos of the proof you posted here is a UK proof of Needful Things. Have you (or anyone else) ever seen one of these?

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

US unbound proof set of Four Past Midnight added to listing. Also added the UK Needful Things in the comb binding.

John

Gunslinger Apprentice neo_trinity is a splendid one to behold neo_trinity is a splendid one to behold neo_trinity is a splendid one to behold neo_trinity is a splendid one to behold neo_trinity is a splendid one to behold neo_trinity is a splendid one to behold neo_trinity's Avatar

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post

Very interesting, Gerald. I have a copy of the unbound sheets that comprise the solo Four Past Midnight proof by Hodder & Stoughton that is different from yours. I wonder if mine is similar to Michael's and you have an earlier state of the proof? My copy is the entire book rather than three separate parts.

Hi Bob, I have seen your copy before. Mine is different in that it has a heavy blue stock page (same as UK Needful Things) sans illustrated cover art page. Each batch section has an accompanying blue stock page to indicate that they were printed over the course of a week. Also, all the fonts are not finalized yet. They just appear as "Four Past Midnight a/w" and "Stephen King a/w". I recall a UK book dealer offering to sell one many years ago, but his asking price was extremely high. I am not sure if you purchased his, but it was the same cover page as yours.

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Gerald, I mistook your copy for a US one and put it in the US section of the listing. I've since corrected it.

John

Gunslinger Apprentice neo_trinity is a splendid one to behold neo_trinity is a splendid one to behold neo_trinity is a splendid one to behold neo_trinity is a splendid one to behold neo_trinity is a splendid one to behold neo_trinity is a splendid one to behold neo_trinity's Avatar

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by George at C-Springs View Post
    Gerald, you must have seen my post from the other day (which I just updated with my info from four years ago that you just reposted which I couldn't find ... glad you did!). You should post all of your info and photos to the Four Past Midnight Proofs/ARCs page!
    Hi George,
    I did not see your post from 1/19. I just saw it now. No, I regularly read older posts and I just came across your discussion about Twice the Power and then I saw Michael's comment about his being the only unique copy. I knew that Bob also had a copy, as I read that years ago. I just wanted to let people know that there was another. I don't know how to add information to the page you mentioned.

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

Gerald, I mistook your copy for a US one and put it in the US section of the listing. I've since corrected it.

John
    Hi John,
    I didn't even know where you were talking about. I do now. Yes it is a UK copy. Thank you for that. Gerald

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

Gerald,
    With a similar appearance to the photos of the proof you posted here is a UK proof of Needful Things. Have you (or anyone else) ever seen one of these?

Hi Bob,
    Yes that is a similar format. Hodder used Rowland almost exclusively in the late 80s, early 90s for their internal proof copies. My Needful Things is not spiral bound like yours. It is the same as Four Past Midnight. Was yours from a reviewer / sales rep? If so, it would make sense for them to bind it to make it easier to read / show. Very nice find. I rarely see these surface.

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

John
    Hi John,
    I didn't even know where you were talking about. I do now. Yes it is a UK copy. Thank you for that. Gerald
    I've been trying to list all known US and UK proofs of King's works in the listing in the first post of this thread, along with a very short description. If you know of any that I don't have listed, please let me know.

John

Hi Bob,
    Yes that is a similar format. Hodder used Rowland almost exclusively in the late 80s, early 90s for their internal proof copies. My Needful Things is not spiral bound like yours. It is the same as Four Past Midnight. Was yours from a reviewer / sales rep? If so, it would make sense for them to bind it to make it easier to read / show. Very nice find. I rarely see these surface.
    You are right! The seller from whom I bought the Needful Things told me he got it from a publisher's rep in South Africa.

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

Hi Bob,
    You are right! The seller from whom I bought the Needful Things told me he got it from a publisher's rep in South Africa.
    That makes sense. I have found many rare items in Johannesburg over the years. I know that Bloomsbury and Hodder both spend serious advertising pounds to push their respective authors wares there, as it is a lucrative market for English books.

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Hi Bob,
    That makes sense. I have found many rare items in Johannesburg over the years. I know that Bloomsbury and Hodder both spend serious advertising pounds to push their respective authors wares there, as it is a lucrative market for English books.
    This is crazy.. Before I read where Bob's copy originated from, I was thinking that these could have come from South Africa. I used to own a specialist bookstore in Johannesburg in the late 80s and early 90s, and I had accounts with the local agents for the big UK publishers. Of course, one was Hodder. I would often get proofs from the sales rep.

Anyway, I was thinking earlier after seeing these proofs that I don't know how I could have missed getting one. I had a really good relationship with the local sales rep at the time for Hodder and he'd get me all the proofs. I can only imagine that these being in limited supply that they went to the larger chain bookstores, and not a small independent like myself.

This all brings back some great memories of that time...

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Rabbit Trick View Post
    Not the best condition, but it's quite rare...

Skeleton Crew

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stephen-Ki...item418e49cd61

Who won it?

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Rabbit Trick View Post
    Not the best condition, but it's quite rare...

Skeleton Crew

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stephen-Ki...item418e49cd61

Who won it?
    It wasn't me, I promise! It was a good price though.

Servant of Gan Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57's Avatar

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

I won it. Pretty happy!!

I was surprised it sold for as much as it did. I haven't been keeping up with prices close enough, I guess.

Goldmember Lot guy is a splendid one to behold Lot guy is a splendid one to behold Lot guy is a splendid one to behold Lot guy is a splendid one to behold Lot guy is a splendid one to behold Lot guy is a splendid one to behold Lot guy is a splendid one to behold

Nice Mike!!!!

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Congratulations, Mike!

John

Manni Folken The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Congrats, Mike. Nice one!

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Congratulations! Even though you outbid me!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 155 of 262 FirstFirst ... 55 105 145 153 154 155 156 157 165 205 255 ... LastLast