Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: The Most Difficult Riddle I've Ever Faced

Gunslinger Apprentice BeDaN is on a distinguished road BeDaN's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Say

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Adumbros View Post
    clue time, riddleslingers:

It does indeed end in g-r-y, and the letters are indeed in that exact order.

This statement could mean "ggry" or "gryy"

Just a thought.
    Don't think it could mean "gryy" as he said it ends with "gry"

Ok...ggry could still stand.
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Banned The Lady of Shadows is on a distinguished road

okay, if we go with that then the only other word is aggry as in aggry bead. but that's not the answer because the riddle says the answer is in the riddle and it's something we use everyday. i don't know about you, but i don't use aggry beads everyday and i certainly didn't see any reference to them in the riddle.

either it's been posed inaccurately, or the answer has already been given.

it's either three, language, or "in the riddle" based on how the riddle is posed at this time.

there are so f'n many forms of this riddle (i've heard three other than this one) that it's almost impossible to solve. the answer to one i heard was "what" but that's not how this one is worded.

Gunslinger Apprentice NemelChelovek is on a distinguished road NemelChelovek's Avatar

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking, too. This seems like the sort of puzzle that when the answer is finally given, it'll turn out to be something that required an incredible amount of lateral thinking, and instead of saying "How could I not have seen that?" everyone's just kind of going to go "...what?"

No offense intended to Adumbros, of course.

well, i'm done. my brain is just too tired and screwed up at this point. and it seems, to me, unsolvable. i leave it to you my good sirs and madames.

but i am prepared to come back and bang my head against the wall, with force and for a long period of time, if it turns out to be something so simple that even a child could have seen it!

Beauty Effulgent KaLikeAWheel is on a distinguished road KaLikeAWheel's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Adumbros View Post

There are three words in the English language that end in the letters 'gry'. The first two are angry and hungry. The third is something that you use every day. The answer is in "the rid"dle.

Is the answer "third?"

Donna

"What can I tell you, baby? I've always been bad."--Spike

Fuck Adumbros is on a distinguished road Adumbros's Avatar

My Mood
    Brooding

OK sorry for the sunday layover folks...and sadly, no one seems to have come really close yet. i fear giving more clues, 'cause i loathe those fools who practically give an answer away; it defeats the purpose. but i suppose i shall proffer just ONE more:

OK...you already know the word must end in -gry. yes, ONLY those three letters, and only in that order. it IS a trick question, in a manner of speaking. you DO use it every day, if you aren't mute; it is a way any average american or brit expresses him/herself in a certain situation thus given to speak. it is NOT a trick in the sense of it being something absurd such as a number or a word actually quoted in the riddle, although i would assume the correct letters are there in some sequence as they're all fairly common letters; however this is irrelevant. this is really all the more information i'm willing to purvey.

As for those wondering, it amazes even ME that my version is not apparently well-known. this wording is EXACTLY how i received it in freshman year, and the answer is surprisingly unique in relation to the various forms of this riddle.

My Mood
    Brooding

to really fuck with you, i should tell you that the answer actually contains none of those three letters at all, and yet, ends in them. let's see what literary genius hits the jackpot.

John F. Kennedy BlainetheMono is on a distinguished road BlainetheMono's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

wow... I am totally stumped. I hope someone answers correctly before I leave work today or this may keep me awake tonight. seriously

My Mood
    Brooding

lmao sorry. honestly, it took me almost three years to get the answer when it was posed to me. i was sitting, staring at it on a piece of paper, trying to figure out some form of bullshit or buggery that was eluding my grasp, and all of a sudden a certain thought related to the riddle popped into my head and i told my mom what it was, then a light bulb went off and i was like, "holy shit! THAT'S the answer!!"

Beauty Effulgent KaLikeAWheel is on a distinguished road KaLikeAWheel's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

And it's not "Language"??

"What can I tell you, baby? I've always been bad."--Spike

Country
    Country Flag

"MOUTH" All the letters are within G and Y in the English alphabet, so the word does end IN -gry. We use it everyday. Thats the best I can come up with so if it's not that, I am totally stumped.

My Mood
    Brooding

dear lord. this is misfiring more than i thought. i honestly figured someone would have copped it by now.

Traveler man-n-black is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

every

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

:hopes: dude that would be an awesome first post!!
    Welcome man-in-black.

The answer is within

all matter is energy, all energy is GOD

Demon of the Prim Maturins_Daughter is on a distinguished road Maturins_Daughter's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Adumbros
    dear lord. this is misfiring more than i thought. i honestly figured someone would have copped it by now.
    and
    honestly, it took me almost three years to get the answer when it was posed to me.
    So why would you think it would be solved in just a couple of days here? Just curious...

Country
    Country Flag

We're all gonna shit ourselves when the answer is revealed.

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

I already did!

But it had nothing to do with this riddle.

Gunslinger Apprentice NemelChelovek is on a distinguished road NemelChelovek's Avatar

Has anyone else noticed that this riddle isn't actually asking anything? There's no question anywhere; it just states several facts and then says "the answer is in the riddle." So unless the answer is literally the phrase "in the riddle," which we know it isn't, I'm not really sure what it is we're supposed to be "answering."

I'm not a fan of this variation on the old "gry" theme, personally, though I don't blame you Adumbros; I blame whoever told it to you originally. I have the feeling that the answer's going to end up requiring several leaps of logic, and that our reaction when we hear the answer will be "How were we ever supposed to get THAT?", which is something you never want the person being asked to think after a riddle's answer is revealed. It's just a hunch, and once again, no fault of yours Adumbros. Next time you see the man/woman who told this one to you, just give him/her a stern scolding and tell 'em it's compliments of NemelChelovek.

Now watch as the answer makes tons of logical sense and I'm forced to admit what an ass I've made of myself.

i don't know about the rest of you but i vote the answer be revealed. even if behind a spoiler tag. that way those of us who want to know can know and those who still want to work on it can still work on it.

all in favor?

Country
    Country Flag

Agree'd

Gunslinger Apprentice leaveittobeezer is on a distinguished road leaveittobeezer's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by turtlesong View Post

all in favor?
    aye
    "The Man in Black fled across the desert, and June Carter followed"

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

How long has it been up?

Just checked, A bit over a week.

I'll leave it to the Mod and/or riddlemaster at this point. Now maybe if a second week goes by...

I recall one that went near a month at .net

The one about being in jail with an irregular shapped bottle and to cannot be released untill you have it exactly half full or half empty. That was put up three times. The second time it went a month. The third time it was less than a week. I suspect someone remembered the answer.

I'm pulling a "China" on you all and am abstaining from the vote for now. If Adumbros wishes to reveal it before another week then that's Adumbros' call. I will change my vote in a week though.

My Mood
    Brooding

Quote Originally Posted by Maturins_Daughter View Post
    and
    honestly, it took me almost three years to get the answer when it was posed to me.
    So why would you think it would be solved in just a couple of days here? Just curious...
    because i was a mild-mannered highschooler at the time and most of us on here now are full-blown adults; thereby making it easier to believe that we would be able to think cross-laterally. hell, if someone asked me this question now, i would probably get it in a couple days, even not knowing the answer.

i honestly believe that a lot of people will smakc themselves when the answer is revealed; tho i do believe quite a few will feel equally cheated. i find the answer quite amusing.

i will leave this up for debate until a mod/fac/whatever forces my hand. i do not like to leave a good riddle unsolved, no matter how long it takes.

My Mood
    Brooding

just to clarify:

aggry, a glass bead found buried in the earth in Ghana.
    puggry, a light scarf wound around a hat or helmet to protect the head from the sun, and
    meagry, of meager appearance.

these are certified by the Oxford. makes you wonder where the hell the question came from, doesn't it?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast