Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Love for Song

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Gee...Ummmm I'm the one who started the freakin' thread, I don't count as a "real Song lover"?

"It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by All_Hail_The_Crimson_King View Post
    Gee...Ummmm I'm the one who started the freakin' thread, I don't count as a "real Song lover"?

You do.
    You do.

I love it too but it's not my absolute favourite.

Roland would have understood.

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I hoped to get more posts here. *sigh* I was sooo happy when I noticed it even if it's a coincidence.

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Its not mine either. Like I said DT7 is. But so many list it as their least favorite of the series so I wanted a thread celebrating it.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by All_Hail_The_Crimson_King View Post
    Its not mine either. Like I said DT7 is. But so many list it as their least favorite of the series so I wanted a thread celebrating it.
    It's an amazing thread, Matthew.

You're being romantic, and silly and it probably is just a coincidence....and I love it. Its a very cute idea, like you're very cute.

Quote Originally Posted by John_and_Yoko View Post
    So much background, and in so little a space--more than makes up for there only being twenty-four hours of action happening....
    Very intense...hard to believe hunh?

Country
    Country Flag

You are my hero. Thank you.

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I liked the segments of the book surrounding Susannah and Mia. Loved learning more about the whole mythology of that world, and tying a few strings as to the origin of Mordred.

I also thought the character of Mia was interesting. I.e. she is a surprising 3 dimensional person, considering that she is a demon. (I.e. I tend to think of demons as evil, and just evil.) You could argue that was Susannah's influences on her, but even in the early days she showed signs of a less selfish side. Particularly the story of the baby she loved so much. She could probably have killed the parents and taken the baby for herself, but she put aside her own selfish interests for another being.

(Ok this is a bit off thread, but bear with me.) I wonder how that part of her personality, that of 'the mother', was installed in her? Was it just an anomaly? Was it something the other more powerful evil entities of the prim installed in her from the start believing she would be the surrogate mother of the creature who would destroy the tower? (I'm not convinced of that one but anyway.) Or was it something the order, Gan/the Tower placed in her?

Ok, no one has to reply to that here, as I know it's off thread. Just writing my thoughts as they occur.(I might create another thread on that subject, do you reckon that'd be interesting?)

Anyhow, back to thread- I also liked the Callahan/Jake segment of this book. I wasn't so keen on Jake turning into a little punk-ass with the driver though (I just can't stand rude people, albeit the driver was partly to blame.) The rest of it though, their appointment at the dixie pig, and the whole black 13 bit was really interesting. I really like the Callahan character too, and I think he really shone in that segment.

I remember some while back on DT.net, someone who didn't like Callahan much remembered Jake being the one who dealt with B13's mesmerizing influence in the hotel. I think that was fake selective memory myself. If you read it, it was Callahan who took control of that situation, fighting the urges placed on him by the Black with his belief in the White/God. I'm not belittling Jake, he was strong in other ways and in other areas. He was the one who took charge when gunslinging was involved, but credit where it's due, Callahan did the business where supernatural was involved, both Black 13, and the vampires later.

In some ways I think it was a shame more of the book wasn't devoted to Jake and Callahan's adventure, but I understand King writes what he see, and that might have involved a lot of filler.

Those are not the only parts of SOS I liked, but they really stand out.

Oh yeah, I agree, Harrigan was GREAT character.

Quote Originally Posted by Brainslinger View Post
    I liked the segments of the book surrounding Susannah and Mia. Loved learning more about the whole mythology of that world, and tying a few strings as to the origin of Mordred.
    Hell yeah, some of my favorite parts there too.

I also thought the character of Mia was interesting. I.e. she is a surprising 3 dimensional person, considering that she is a demon. (I.e. I tend to think of demons as evil, and just evil.) You could argue that was Susannah's influences on her, but even in the early days she showed signs of a less selfish side. Particularly the story of the baby she loved so much. She could probably have killed the parents and taken the baby for herself, but she put aside her own selfish interests for another being.
    Well "just evil" is very black and white and thats pretty rare in King's books which is nice. I'm not surprised by her having those feelings. I love the character of Mia. An intriguing, sad character indeed.

Anyhow, back to thread- I also liked the Callahan/Jake segment of this book. I wasn't so keen on Jake turning into a little punk-ass with the driver though (I just can't stand rude people, albeit the driver was partly to blame.) The rest of it though, their appointment at the dixie pig, and the whole black 13 bit was really interesting. I really like the Callahan character too, and I think he really shone in that segment.
    I don't view Jake's reaction as "punk-ass" but as full of piss and vinegar like a gunslinger, which he is. This also is one of my favorite parts of this book.

I remember some while back on DT.net, someone who didn't like Callahan much remembered Jake being the one who dealt with B13's mesmerizing influence in the hotel. I think that was fake selective memory myself. If you read it, it was Callahan who took control of that situation, fighting the urges placed on him by the Black with his belief in the White/God. I'm not belittling Jake, he was strong in other ways and in other areas. He was the one who took charge when gunslinging was involved, but credit where it's due, Callahan did the business where supernatural was involved, both Black 13, and the vampires later.
    Yeah, I don't agree with whomever that was, and I seem to remember that post or thread. That scene was ALL Callahan...and one of my favorites too. Especially Black 13's description of what it wanted Callahan to do.

Oh yeah, I agree, Harrigan was GREAT character.

Country
    Country Flag

My favourite part is when Rokand, Rosalita, Jake, Callahan and Eddie are playing some card game after the Beamquake.

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

That's an original one Letti! (Not meant in a negative way, original = good.)
    What was it you like, particularly? The companionship? The whole atmosphere, after the quake etc? I actually quite like the companionable bits actually. Excitement is good, but the whole group thing just has a great atmosphere. It's also when you learn more too (story progression etc), what with munching the cud etc.

I don't view Jake's reaction as "punk-ass" but as full of piss and vinegar like a gunslinger, which he is. This also is one of my favorite parts of this book.
    Yeah but gunslingers are supposed to be controlled aren't they? Not whipping out their gun at unarmed people and having a tantrum. For the very reason that they're killers with untrustworthy fingers, they have to be controlled.

He would still be considered an apprentice gunslinger, and as Roland says they're known to be fractious and quick to bite. You don't go almost running over Jake's pet billy-bumbler and expect to walk away without your undies filled up with shit.

Country
    Country Flag

That's an original one Letti! (Not meant in a negative way, original = good.)
    What was it you like, particularly? The companionship?
    Just imagine. They have just had a new beamquake. The worlds are just about to break down to fall into todash and what do they do? They play with cards. It's very human-like. Really. They need to feel each other and they try to turn off their mind.

And at that part you can find one of my forever favourte quote:

He (Jake) looked at Roland and sent a thought, as clearly as he could: Roland, help us.
    And one came back, filling his mind with cold comfort (ah, but comfort served cold was better than no comfort at all): If I can.

M.I.A. Unfound One is on a distinguished road Unfound One's Avatar

Oh Letti, I love that quote.

Country
    Country Flag

I think in that 3 words you can find Roland so much.

Citizen of Gilead Empath of the White is on a distinguished road Empath of the White's Avatar

I'd have to say the last response, and the final verse at the end of the Writer's Coda. Talk about a cliffhanger. It really pumped me up for the last book.

Traveler Indigo_Seven is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Default .

When Eddie has to confront Tower, and he lets out his rage and his own personal demons.

Gunslinger Apprentice ArtherEld is on a distinguished road ArtherEld's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

When they meet Stephen King.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ArtherEld View Post
    When they meet Stephen King.
    I love that part, too but first I was so confused that I couldn't enjoy it.

Gunslinger Apprentice Tony_A is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

In no particular order:

Meeting with King
    Getting the deed to the lot
    Susannah using the skolpadda
    Jake and Callahan before entering Dixie Pig
    Jake flipping out when they first entered NY and meeting Fr. Harrigan (who looks like Henchick)
    Andolini getting bested again

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I did love to see Andolini getting his from Eddie in the past, it was a really cool moment.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Country
    Country Flag

I loved to get know Mia's past. I found it really interesting and everything seemed so logical.

Palaver Castle Chef mia/susannah is on a distinguished road mia/susannah's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    I loved to get know Mia's past. I found it really interesting and everything seemed so logical.
    I agree, Mia is one of the characters in the book that totally fascinates me

Along the Path of the Beam Babymordred121 is on a distinguished road Babymordred121's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

It's sort of a little scene, but my favorite part of the book is the conversation via phone between Richard P. Sayer and Mia/Susannah. Sayer delivers the verbal equivalent of a bitch-slap every single time he speaks. For some reason, the concept of a villain whose name sounds like something off a business card just seems kick-ass to me, especially when he's the freakiest and most manipulative character in the whole book.
    He isn't just Sayer. He's not Richard Sayer. He's not even Richard Patrick Sayer. He's Richard P. Sayer, with a middle initial of P.
    Only REAL men keep a middle initial of P. Men who know they're cool and don't even have to try at it.
    "I serve only one masta: DAAKNESS" - Peter Boil, Swashbuckler

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 LastLast