Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Love for Song

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brainslinger View Post
    I loved Song of Susannah. It was an interesting change of pace after the rest period of the previous book (which I liked too, but in a different way.) Only think I wasn't really keen on was how the whole wind of ka thing send various folks to different time zones. I like how the Manni were utilized in opening the door, I just thought sending the characters to their various times could have been done better, since the wind/door thing never happened before. I didn't actually dislike the scene, it just seemed a bit too convenient. (For the plot, it was most inconvenient for the charcters.)

It had a comic moment though with Oy shooting past Eddies head 'barking like a..." Sorry I don't use that language, but it's funny.

As for the rest of the book, a great fast pace read. I like Susannah as a character, and it was interesting that she became so central since most of the time we see things from the point of view of either Eddie or Jake before then.

One critcism that used to be on DT.net was that they disliked the way SoS ended on a cliffhanger. I never really had a problem with that though since it wasn't as if we had to wait long for DT7. Unlike those poor folk who had to wait ages for the resolution of the riddling contest on Blaine at the end of the Waste Lands. I was somewhat fortunate as I started reading the DT books in the time period between the publishing of Wizard and Glass and Wolves of the Calla. I still had quite a wait, but not as long as some.
    Because something never happened before that makes it too convenient? How is that?
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by All_Hail_The_Crimson_King View Post
    Because something never happened before that makes it too convenient? How is that?
    I agree there were loads of examples of ka being used as a major plot manipulator (i.e. unlikely threads coming together etc. I won't say 'coincidence' -whoops just dids- since ka rule it out.). However using a huge wind as a plot device just felt like it was taking things too far to me. I guess what I'm saying is, the characters could have been sent to their destinations in a more subtle way. I.e. unlikely things happening in the world around,i.e. finding the right object at the right time, meeting a helpful friend is ok but sudden blasts of wind etc just taking you places... I just wasn't so keen on that.

DT7 spoiler-

Spoiler:
    I felt the same way in the last book when Roland and Eddie got caught up in the beam... you know the bit when they levitated in the car and were whisked away to see Susannah and Callahan? I won't go into that here though as I'm drifting off topic, but I'd be willing to discuss that in the DT7 forum if you like.

Overall my reaction to SoS is positive though, as I stated above. (Not meant in a moody tone.)

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

I am so happy that I can say that I was interested in everything that had ever happened in DT series. Really.
    I am a junkie.

Anyway I didn't like the pictures in this book. They were not so unbearable but... not my cup of tea at all.

Roland would have understood.

M.I.A. Unfound One is on a distinguished road Unfound One's Avatar

i'm with you here letti,
    i suppose sos was getting darker, but the pictures were just creepy.

The White! MonteGss is on a distinguished road MonteGss's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    They were not so unbearable but... not my cup of tea at all.
    Not mine either.

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

The artwork in SOS rules, just like the rest of the book.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

I agree there were loads of examples of ka being used as a major plot manipulator (i.e. unlikely threads coming together etc. I won't say 'coincidence' -whoops just dids- since ka rule it out.). However using a huge wind as a plot device just felt like it was taking things too far to me. I guess what I'm saying is, the characters could have been sent to their destinations in a more subtle way. I.e. unlikely things happening in the world around,i.e. finding the right object at the right time, meeting a helpful friend is ok but sudden blasts of wind etc just taking you places... I just wasn't so keen on that.
    The circumstances involving the opening of the Unfound Door, was different than anything they had dealt with before. This was a door that had already shut and the Manni were using magic to force open, so of course something different would happen. I look at it as the Manni whipped up a tornado of power by what they were doing and Roland's ka-tet got caught up in it. Makes sense.

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The circumstances involving the opening of the Unfound Door, was different than anything they had dealt with before. This was a door that had already shut and the Manni were using magic to force open, so of course something different would happen. I look at it as the Manni whipped up a tornado of power by what they were doing and Roland's ka-tet got caught up in it. Makes sense.
    That does make sense actually. The Manni did state that each party should be ready to run through the door when it opens though.... but I alway remember Henchick (or whatever his name is) smiling in a secretive way as if he knew something he wasn't telling. At the time I wondered if this was a forewarning that he would betray them (which he didn't, at least not in the way I thought), but now I wonder if he knew about the wind, or at least something unexpected might happen...

I'm not saying he knew who would be blown where though. Just that their plans would likely go awry. This is an old guy with an active experience of seeking out the doors after all.

Still not keen on the wind as a plot device, but it makes more sense at least.

but I alway remember Henchick (or whatever his name is)
    "Or whatever his name is" yeah, right. Like you didn't know it off the top of your head.

Citizen of Gilead Ka-tet is on a distinguished road Ka-tet's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I dont hate this book, in fact i loved this book.

Its just my least favorite of the serise
    If you love me, then love me-Susan of mejis
    See the turtle, aint he keen? All things serve the fucking beam-Eddie of NewYork
    You burn prettily-Corwin of Amber

Country
    Country Flag

"Or whatever his name is" yeah, right. Like you didn't know it off the top of your head.
    Heh.
    I'm not usually that good at remembering the names of characters. (Except the main ones.) Honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Ka-tet View Post
    I dont hate this book, in fact i loved this book.

Its just my least favorite of the serise
    Ka-tet, could you head over to the thread about why its your least favorite in the series and tell me why? Its just something that interests me because its so common that it is for most folk.

Breaker Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

After my recent finising of this book, one of the reasons tha makes this such a great book is all the time that you spend inside Mia/Sus's head. I also deeply enjoyed the emotional moment at the end with the guitar player.

Gunslinger Apprentice what is on a distinguished road what's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Just finished Song, and I have to say this book was great! I think what was so entertaining for me was bringing King into the story. It kills me though.. I'm not ready for the journey to end...

Quote Originally Posted by what View Post
    Just finished Song, and I have to say this book was great! I think what was so entertaining for me was bringing King into the story. It kills me though.. I'm not ready for the journey to end...
    Awesome! What do you think about the very ending? With the headline about Stephen King dying? Talk about a wicked cliff-hanger!

Country
    Country Flag

YES! I'm actually headed home for lunch to start on book VII... I'm probably wrong on this but i thought i remember King actually being reported as dead after the accident... thats what my mom said anyways, she lived in the area during that time.

Yeah, I think in some papers he was...this is so cool to get this from a perspective of someone first reading the series

Just imagine if you got to the end and couldn't go home and start on The Dark Tower? The torture...

Country
    Country Flag

Thankfully I came after the long wait between books... I would have lost my mind waiting for the conclusion to the riddling contest!

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Can't wait to hear what you think about the end what
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by what View Post
    Thankfully I came after the long wait between books... I would have lost my mind waiting for the conclusion to the riddling contest!
    i pretty much did.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Can't wait to hear what you think about the end what

Same here!

Silverloch John_and_Yoko will become famous soon enough John_and_Yoko's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic

Poor, poor Song of Susannah! I love this book and it is in my favorites in the series just below Wolves and I felt that it needed it's own fan thread! Come and give this book the love that it deserves!
    I loved it too, MORE than Wolves of the Calla!

Honestly, the last "favorite" volume I had was The Waste Lands, but once I started Wizard and Glass it was hard to choose....

But now Song of Susannah is my favorite! So much background, both of the Dark Tower mythology and the origin of the story in Stephen King's mind--and all in such a short volume (I started it the day before yesterday)!

I do, of course, realize the possibility that I'll like the final volume even more, but for now anyway, Volume VI is my favorite Dark Tower volume!

Silverloch John_and_Yoko will become famous soon enough John_and_Yoko's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic

I liked the palaver moments--between Susannah and Mia, and between Roland, Eddie, and Stephen King.

So much background, and in so little a space--more than makes up for there only being twenty-four hours of action happening....

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

We have a real Song-lover here at last.

Roland would have understood.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast