Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Needful Things *possible spoilers*

She gave me a pen. Ves'Ka Gan is on a distinguished road Ves'Ka Gan's Avatar

My Mood
    Sneaky
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Needful Things *possible spoilers*

I didn't see a thread dedicated to this book so I thought I'd start one. I just finished the book and I am anxious to talk about it. (I was talking about it to my boyfriend who has neither read that book or any of the other Castle Rock stories!)

So...what did you think? I have to admit when I realized the subtitle to the hardcover was "The Last Castle Rock Novel" I was really disappointed. I feel like I've known the Sherriff and his deputies out at Castle Rock my whole life and I hate to think they won't be dropping in on anymore stories.

I was kind of excited to get a more full version of what happened to Thad Beaumont, though, as in (I think) Bag Of Bones it is casually mentioned that he killed himself, but in describing Alan Pangborn's general attitude and life they give more of the story and I was glad for it.

Annnnyway. I'll probably be back in here to wax on about this book, but I'll give everyone else a chance, too.
    YOU MUST CHILL. I HAVE HIDDEN YOUR KEYS.

Au Naturale theBeamisHome is on a distinguished road theBeamisHome's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

glad i looked for this topic instead of going and starting one myself. i really want to talk about it too... i'm watching the movie right now... don't know what to say yet tho.. does no one like this one?

Human kind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. That is alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange. In those days, we really believed that to be the world's one and only truth.

Traveler Harley2280 is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

How close to the book is the movie?

shrewd and knavish sprite flaggwalkstheline will become famous soon enough flaggwalkstheline's Avatar

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

i havent seen the movie but the book is one of my favorites, the fight seen between nettie and wilma with the meat cleaver and the hammer is one of the freakiest seens Ive ever read
    if the worlds gonna end then let's get it over with, i got shit to do

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

I didn't care for the movie (I almost never do) but I love the book and rank it high in my list of King's work.

Traveler Patrick19 is on a distinguished road Patrick19's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I just finished this a couple of weeks ago, and I have to say that of all the SK books I've read, I think I had the most trouble with this one. For me, it was way too slow building up to the Nettie/Wilma brawl and I thought things were really going to get going after that. Instead, it slowed back down for another 100 pages and then finally picked up until the end.
    Now, I don't really mind a slow build. I think my biggest beef with the book is the way that it ends (if you haven't read the whole book, don't read any further...)

The face-off with Alan and Gaunt at the end seemed to go a little too far. I understand that we have to suspend disbelief for a story like this (magical items, etc - I can buy all that). But the thing with Alan's magic tricks suddenly having this power over Gaunt. Specifically the paper flowers - he whips them out and suddenly there's this white light that repels Gaunt. Nothing in the book really set that up and I'm not sure if I can swallow that one. Anyone else feel the same?

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I got to reread it - at the moment I think that whatever power Alan had over Gaunt came from the same source as in most other cases of King's good guys prevailing over bad guys - namely, the ability to stand and be true (see It or Black House, among others, let alone Callahan's first vs. Callahan's last stand) rather than any kind of superpower, thus all additional objects are mere props devoided of all meaning or power of their own.

I have some problems with the ending, though, and it is the desperate cornyness of its imagery (horses, frying carriage, all that Hollywoodish stuff). Absolutely loved the rest, though, could only wish all buildups were slower so I could savor every little detail...

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Goldmember Melike will become famous soon enough Melike's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    I got to reread it - at the moment I think that whatever power Alan had over Gaunt came from the same source as in most other cases of King's good guys prevailing over bad guys - namely, the ability to stand and be true (see It or Black House, among others, let alone Callahan's first vs. Callahan's last stand) rather than any kind of superpower, thus all additional objects are mere props devoided of all meaning or power of their own.

I have some problems with the ending, though, and it is the desperate cornyness of its imagery (horses, frying carriage, all that Hollywoodish stuff). Absolutely loved the rest, though, could only wish all buildups were slower so I could savor every little detail...
    This is the explanation in my mind. And I think it really makes sense. Jean, especially Callahan and skölpadda is a great example for this.

I understand why many people doesn't like this scene, but I have to admit that I like it so much that I have a plan to paint that scene for years. *I still need time * I don't see it Hollywoodish stuff. I have an image looks like something between surreal/Dali and nighmarish/Henry Fuseli scenes.

The biggest reason for me to love this book is Gaunt which is another adorable villain ran out of King's brain gyruses.

Gunslinger Apprentice AcidBumbler is on a distinguished road AcidBumbler's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I loved Needful Things! Especially Gaunt; King's villains are always interesting. The idea of the shop was, I think, what ultimately sold the book to me, as I have a weird liking for stuff like that. Haha. Eh.. who knows why?

The face-off between Nettie and Wilma was definitely one of my favourite book scenes ever. I have to admit that I honestly didn't expect Nettie to hit back when I first started reading it. I thought she'd end up killing herself or something.

The bit with the giant spider in the necklace made me want to throw up, though... I don't know what I expected to come out, but it wasn't that. Ugh. And when Polly (I did remember her name, right? I can be shoddy with names xD) bit its leg off... AGH

Also, I found King's portrayal of the gossip-loving small-town women really amusing.

Gunslinger Apprentice theyspunaweb is on a distinguished road theyspunaweb's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Excited to read this book sometime soon.
    "The wise are not wise because they make no mistakes. They are wise because they correct their mistakes as soon as they recognize them."
    -Orson Scott Card

Gunslinger Apprentice EvaH will become famous soon enough EvaH's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

I found a box with a bunch of my old books today. I was so happy Needful Things was in there, I've been wanting to re-read that one. I read it years ago so I don't remember much of the details, it will be like reading it for the first time again. I remember enjoying it and that Gaunt reminded me of my High School History teacher at the time. Creepy dude.

Citizen of Gilead sleeplessdwarf is on a distinguished road sleeplessdwarf's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I read it when I was 16 I think. I went on a trip with my girlfriend and soon to be inlaws at that time. I loved the book. The trip was 8 hours one way so I gave the gf about 1 hr attention and then the rest to reading. I think it was my 4th King novel so all his work was like gold to me then.

Traveler soapmaker19 is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick19 View Post
    The face-off with Alan and Gaunt at the end seemed to go a little too far. I understand that we have to suspend disbelief for a story like this (magical items, etc - I can buy all that). But the thing with Alan's magic tricks suddenly having this power over Gaunt. Specifically the paper flowers - he whips them out and suddenly there's this white light that repels Gaunt. Nothing in the book really set that up and I'm not sure if I can swallow that one. Anyone else feel the same?
    I guess I always thought that it was a typical good vs. evil thing, and the magic tricks having something to do with Alan and his dead son's shared love of magic tricks/joke shop gag items. At least it was more original than if white light from his sheriff's badge repelled Gaunt.

Gunslinger Apprentice pinkymcfatfat is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

I don't think that the thing in Polly's necklace was a spider. My own theory is that it's a grand father flea. Hence it's weird ability to heal.

As for Gaunt himself, he's in all probabilty a 'long-timer' and a 'bumhug'. In his showdown with Gaunt, the fact that he was a 'bumhug' who only could work magic through Glamour was his downfall. Gaunt knew his own magic was fake, Alan believed his was real.

Did anyone else notice in DT7 that a new shop had opened up called 'Answered Prayers'? I think Gaunt was on the move again.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I never thought of it before a conversation yesterday, but I think Polly's necklace was a nod to Rosemary's Baby.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I did noice that when I read it pinky,but I had forgotten. Thanks for reminding me.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

Gunslinger Apprentice JameseyLefebure is on a distinguished road JameseyLefebure's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I really enjoyed Needlful Things and the bit with the necklace gave me nightmares for about a week afterwards - properly freaked me out!!!

I remember enjoying the movie, the way I enjoy any stephen king adaptation - I sit throught, let it finish, then rip it to shred

Jamesey
    xxx

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Default What would be your Needful Thing?

As I was travelling by bus on my way to work I was reading Needful Things. It's interesting to see how maniac people can get about simple objects which are special for them. For me it's quite easy to sympathise I can be quite crazy about things... a book, a guitar, a gadget.
    So as I was travelling an interesting question popped into my mind: What would be my needful thing? How would Leland Gaunt try to trap my soul?
    I don't know the answer yet but I keep thinking.

But what about you? What would be your needful thing?

Roland would have understood.

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I love your questions Letti, infact I would love to be a passenger in your imagination for a day

I'm not sure what my needful thing would be - all the objects in the story were just little nicnacs that people wanted but didn't need, so if we're talking about that sort of thing I'd say mine would probably be a fancy china teacup...I'm really particular about drinking my tea out of certain mugs or cups.

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

A top of the line camera.
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Gunslinger Apprentice Cujo56 is on a distinguished road Cujo56's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Interesting question. I went into an antique shop named "Needful Things Antiques" about 20 miles from where I live and couldn't find a damn thing that I wanted.

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

I think I have found mine.
    A drawing of my favourite poet/artist, Nagy László.
    For example this one:

Having it on my own wall... :sigh:
    But I guess he could make me quite crazy with some Michael Whelan drawings, too.

Roland would have understood.

Vagrant Dead Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking

very interesting question.

Mayhap something to do with the post office (my Dad was a mailman) or something that would remind me of my Mom. Or a Rose for my daughter Rosemary.
    Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think.

Gunslinger Apprentice Dagavidiab is on a distinguished road Dagavidiab's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

My ipod!

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh, I get very excited about things, but in truth in my world they are still just things no matter how wonderful...no matter how much I might treasure them. I have lost EVERYTHING I own so many times that if it really comes down to it I'm fine with nothing. Besides I wouldn't play nasty little tricks on people for new things. That's bad karma.
    Spoiler:
    I'd do it for fun though.
    The people I care about are my needful thing.

Spoiler:
    Damn, that's sappy... but true nevertheless.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast