Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Closed Thread
Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Top 5 (non DT) SK books

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by weezy View Post
    Pet Sematary-the first SK book I ever read.
    Second for me, but really what got me hooked on him. What a novel!

ladysai: I think that there are many things which appeal to boys in Firestarter.

Weedeater ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai's Avatar

I'm certain that Firestarter appeals to boys...
    I was thinking that it seemed to be a girl thing to have Firestarter in the 'top 5 list'.
    I would think King's books have a pretty universal appeal, really.

Along the Path of the Beam GirlGoneNineteen is on a distinguished road GirlGoneNineteen's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

In no particular order:
    • The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon
    • The Stand
    • Insomnia
    • Misery
    • The Regulators
    So much you did and so much more you would have done, aye, and all without a check or qualm, and so will the world end, I think, a victim of love rather than hate. For love's ever been the more destructive weapon, sure.

Eyes Like Silver Dollars Tvmorbid is on a distinguished road Tvmorbid's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

In rough order:
    • IT
    • Insomnia
    • Dreamcatcher
    • The Tommy Knockers
    • Desperation

BEEP BEEP Richie! They ALL float down here. When you're down here with us, you'll float too!

Citizen of Gilead Darkmaniscoming is on a distinguished road Darkmaniscoming's Avatar

Default the classics of course

IT
    DEAD ZONE
    NIGHT SHIFT
    CUJO
    FIRESTARTER
    PET SEMETARY
    DARK HALF
    THE STAND
    MISERY

Not sure if I followed the rules but.....

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Rules are made to be broken. This is what I posted over a year ago, and still my opinion:

(my actual favorite is The Waste Lands, for the record)
    1 It
    2 Desperation
    (viewed as a whole, DT series would go in right here)
    3 The Stand (complete)
    4 Black House
    5 Bag of Bones
    6 Hearts in Atlantis
    7 Pet Semetary
    8 Misery
    9 Thinner
    10 Different Seasons
    11 The Shining
    12 'Salem's Lot (complete)
    13 Needful Things

However, it works for those interested in the topic, because you can see my top five from the numbering. Could you do that, or maybe just pick out just five from that post, and post again? Not a big deal, I'm just asking.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    1 It
    2 Desperation
    (viewed as a whole, DT series would go in right here)
    3 The Stand (complete)
    4 Black House
    these are bears' top four... starting at positon 5, radical differences rear their furry heads...

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Their heads are slimy!
    Out of curiosity, would you and I have the same top five if TDT were permitted?
    Quote Originally Posted by ladysai View Post
    I was thinking that it seemed to be a girl thing to have Firestarter in the 'top 5 list'.
    If you say something like that, of course I'll try to understand it, and start by asking "Why?"
    You should know that about me.
    It is just this type of assertion that really drives me crazy.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Their heads are slimy!
    Nothing that is in any way related to bears is slimy. Everything is furry.

Out of curiosity, would you and I have the same top five if TDT were permitted?
    If we take TDT as a whole, as you suggested, I think I might include it... only I wouldn't like to, not really, because as a whole it kinda stands alone, apart from anything else, it looms so big on my horizon that it, as it were, defies all lists. Talking about separate books, I don't think I would include any, not even Wolves; my fifth would remain Duma Key.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Their heads are slimy!
    Nothing that is in any way related to bears is slimy. Everything is furry.
    All things serve the beam.

Weedeater ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai's Avatar

If you say something like that, of course I'll try to understand it, and start by asking "Why?"
    You should know that about me.
    It is just this type of assertion that really drives me crazy.
    Why to which?

Why would Firestarter appeal to boys?
    Because I believe SK's books have a pretty universal appeal.

Why would I think that Firestarter being in the top 5 list would be a girl thing?
    Because I haven't seen many guys with Firestarter in their top 5 list. (as posted in this thread!)

Make sense?
    (maybe?)

The Thermals cody44 is on a distinguished road cody44's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Well, I haven't read all of his books yet. So far I'd have to say

The Stand
    Duma Key
    Salem's Lot
    The Shining

That is all I have read by King besides most of the SS collections and DT Series. I have a long adventure ahead of me after the Dark Tower. I'm thinking of starting with Hearts in Atlantis.

I regret leaving my soul
    I forgot I needed it, to feel
    maybe when I die
    I'll just grab it real quick

Kvothe The Bloodless SigTauGimp is on a distinguished road SigTauGimp's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

hhmm...this will require some thinking...

Ok, here are my Top 5(no particular order):

Black House
    It
    Everything's Eventual (I know, not a full novel, but without a doubt my fav. short story)
    Storm Of The Century (Screenplay, but bloody brilliant.)
    The Talisman

Whew...that took me forever to decide...and I'll probably change my decision in like a week anyway.

Elodin: "Tombs is for feckless twits who can't chew their own food. My boy's a Re'lar! He has the feck of twenty men!"

Kvothe: “Books are a poor substitute for female companionship, but they are easier to find.”

Simmon: ”It’s just ointment in case you get burned...but if you mix it with piss, it turns into candy.” Sim’s expression was deadpan. “Delicious candy.”

Were you there to see the Bear?
    YouTube

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by cody44 View Post
    I'm thinking of starting with Hearts in Atlantis.
    Good thinking.

Why would I think that Firestarter being in the top 5 list would be a girl thing?
    Because I haven't seen many guys with Firestarter in their top 5 list. (as posted in this thread!)
    1. Why did you notice? What made you focus on gender in the first place?
    2. (My real question) If it is really true that males don't pick it as often, then why is that?
    [EDIT]We may not be able to answer this, and it's probably off-topic anyway, but that is how my mind works.[/EDIT]

That's true, but only because "pretty universal" is an oxymoron.
    I think we could be more specific about the appeal for average boys, if we cared to; for example, Andy McGee and John Rainbird.
    However, the thing is that I myself liked Firestarter more when I was a boy than I do now.
    Last edited by pathoftheturtle; 08-01-2009 at 06:25 AM. Reason: not out to monopolize

Gunslinger Apprentice F1racefan is on a distinguished road F1racefan's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

For me it would be:

The Stand
    Talisman
    Black House
    Pet Sematary
    Salem's Lot

1. Why did you notice? What made you focus on gender in the first place?
    2. (My real question) If it is really true that males don't pick it as often, then why is that?
    [EDIT]We may not be able to answer this, and it's probably off-topic anyway, but that is how my mind works.[/EDIT]

That's true, but only because "pretty universal" is an oxymoron.
    I think we could be more specific about the appeal for average boys, if we cared to; for example, Andy McGee and John Rainbird.
    However, the thing is that I myself liked Firestarter more when I was a boy than I do now.[/QUOTE]

1. Please see my post as quoted above: I mostly saw girls with Firestarter in their top 5 and thought 'maybe it's a girl thing'.
    No other gender thoughts went into that.
    2. Good question! Perhaps the story may be more appealing to girls as it's main character is a girl? Doesn't seem to be the case with Carrie, but who knows? (not I!)

I can relate to the idea that the book has more appeal to a younger reader; since it's main focus is Charlie's search for who (/what) she is and what her place may be in the world. That kind of story generally appeals to young minds who are on similar quests.
    Maybe, as adults, we believe the quest is over, or at least so far in progress that the beginning holds no charm and gets that 'been there, done that' boredom feel to it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    eh...
    dunno why this posted without the quote tags from path's post...

who's been feeding the gremlins after midnight, dammit?!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Last edited by ladysai; 08-01-2009 at 12:24 PM. Reason: boggarts

Gunslinger Apprentice EvaH will become famous soon enough EvaH's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

The Stand
    Hearts in Atlantis
    The Talisman
    Black House
    Salem's Lot

The Stand is easily at the top of my list. But there are so many books I like that could have taken the other 4 spots.

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

I can relate to the idea that the book has more appeal to a younger reader; since it's main focus is Charlie's search for who (/what) she is and what her place may be in the world. That kind of story generally appeals to young minds who are on similar quests.
    Maybe, as adults, we believe the quest is over, or at least so far in progress that the beginning holds no charm and gets that 'been there, done that' boredom feel to it.
    Well, give me a little credit; my #1 is It.
    Perhaps the story may be more appealing to girls as it's main character is a girl? Doesn't seem to be the case with Carrie, but who knows? (not I!)
    Nor I. Not really. To me, the main focus of Firestarter, and what does make it very good, always seemed to be evil in government. Could this be because I failed to fully identify with Charlie? I'm not sure. Certainly there are some female characters with which I have, and I do have some books that I still treasure for helping me develop, books I recommend to my kids. I think I'll try re-reading it soon. Thanks for your insights.

Well, give me a little credit; my #1 is It.
    Ha! I never denied you a bit of credit, and your #1 pick being IT gives you mucho credit for good taste.

Nor I. Not really. To me, the main focus of Firestarter, and what does make it very good, always seemed to be evil in government. Could this be because I failed to fully identify with Charlie? I'm not sure. Certainly there are some female characters with which I have, and I do have some books that I still treasure for helping me develop, books I recommend to my kids. I think I'll try re-reading it soon. Thanks for your insights.
    The focus is mainly on the big bad government guys. And Charlie wasn't too hard for anyone (or guys, specifically) to identify with.
    Meh, not really insights, just opinions...and they're a dime a dozen. But, you're welcome all the same.

Traveler Corwin is on a distinguished road Corwin's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

1. The Stand - I've read it more than any other SK book.
    2. The Shining
    3. Desperation
    4. Christine
    5. The Green Mile

If the DT series was included, It would come in at #2, or #1.5 thereabouts.

Traveler twinsmom is on a distinguished road

I haven't read all of SK's books (or all of the DT series, either, for that matter), but here are my top 5 so far:

The Long Walk (I love this one! I've read it more than any other)
    The Stand (also read it many times! scary every time & I pick up new things I missed each time I re-read it)
    The Mist (I know it's not a complete novel... but still one of my faves I like to re-read... very scary!)
    The Running Man
    The Shining

Now, I've never read It- and it seems to be a fave of everybody's, so I'll have to add that to my reading list. I also liked Cell really well- just very readable. Duma Key was pretty good too. I tried Lisey's Story, just wasn't able to get into it.

Gunslinger Apprentice JQ The Gunslinger is on a distinguished road JQ The Gunslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Drop all books and run to IT. Are you still reading this post??? RUN!!

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

YEAH...THAT!
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Along the Path of the Beam rico567 is on a distinguished road

Since DT is out:

1. The Stand

2. The Stand

3. The Stand

4. The Stand

5. The Stand

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

But what did you think of The Stand?
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Closed Thread
Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast