Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: What would Roland's salvation be?

The White! MonteGss is on a distinguished road MonteGss's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default What will Roland see...? (end of series is discussed)

What will Roland see through the final door at the top of the Tower once his loop is completed?
    I am assuming here that the loop will end someday. You may not agree but use your imaginations!

I've thought about this since I first read the final pages of DT7. I know people have touched on this in other threads but, as I said, I want to hear your thoughts on what his final door will show?

A clearing? His ka-tet? A large-breasted, older Susan?
    What can be a suitable and memorable end for Roland?

Tell me, I beg.
    Last edited by MonteGss; 01-31-2008 at 03:23 AM.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Clearing. What he will actually see when he dies (and that's what he will do behind the last door, just as what he saw in the first room were his birththings) is a mystery, of course, but in the terms he is habitual to, yes, it's the clearing at the end of the path.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I agree with Jean. And I also think all the friends he calls to will call back to him. And they'll all be together again.

But I like happy endings like that.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Citizen of Gilead She-Oy is on a distinguished road She-Oy's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

He'll see a clearing. But I'm not sure what he sees is as important as what he feels or experiences. Maybe a clearing is just that....nothing. A clean slate.
    It's peanut butter jelly time!

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

The clearing in the form of a nice, big, comfy bed.

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

And Darkthoughts waiting for him in said, nice, big, comfy bed with nothing on but an inviting smile...
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Stop reading my mind like that!!...

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

It just comes naturally to me, you know that.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Sleep Controller ZoNeSeeK is on a distinguished road ZoNeSeeK's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Roland will see my hand

giving him a firm slap in the face
    "You can lead a whore to culture but you can't make her think." - Duma Key
    zoneseek@thedarktower.com

Demon of the Prim Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Clearing. What he will actually see when he dies (and that's what he will do behind the last door, just as what he saw in the first room were his birththings) is a mystery, of course, but in the terms he is habitual to, yes, it's the clearing at the end of the path.
    I agree, it's his death. He will have finally completed his mission for Ka, and he is done.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ZoNeSeeK View Post
    Roland will see my hand

giving him a firm slap in the face

I heart you.

Sleep Controller ZoNeSeeK is on a distinguished road ZoNeSeeK's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Why do you think the Tower requires him to have the Horn of Eld? Does it form some sort of key, along with him and his guns? Is it something the Tower needs to correct the imbalance caused by the Crimson King?
    "You can lead a whore to culture but you can't make her think." - Duma Key
    zoneseek@thedarktower.com

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Perhaps it stands as symbol of his change, his progress, if you will.

The White! MonteGss is on a distinguished road MonteGss's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Daghain View Post
    I also think all the friends he calls to will call back to him. And they'll all be together again.
    I like this idea. Whoever he calls to while walking towards the Tower will meet him.

Awoken Enigma Sai_Rhavan is on a distinguished road Sai_Rhavan's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Assuming that what he sees is too wonderful to imagine, It'd be hilarious if this time he reaches the correct door, opens it, and dies of shock.
    That'd be the biggest rip-off to the fans, though... fingers crossed!

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

yes lovely, all together

Quote Originally Posted by MonteGss View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Daghain View Post
    I also think all the friends he calls to will call back to him. And they'll all be together again.
    I like this idea. Whoever he calls to while walking towards the Tower will meet him.

The answer is within

all matter is energy, all energy is GOD

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ZoNeSeeK View Post

Why do you think the Tower requires him to have the Horn of Eld?
    I posted this somewhere else, but I can't recall where...

You know when you finally beat a video game and they give you some useless shit for beating it, which is silly because you've beaten it already? THAT'S the HORN.
    Buddy, you think you look strong? You’re wearing a cape.

Gunslinger Apprentice sai delgado is on a distinguished road sai delgado's Avatar

My Mood
    Confused
    Country
    Country Flag

when he finally opens the door at the top of the tower...
    a happy ending would be great
    but i don't think that is King's style, I mean that is after all why the ending of the dark tower was as it was
    i really dont know
    'He bowed low, right down to the ground, in front of the man sitting there motionless, whose smile reminded him of everything that he had ever loved in his life, of everything that had ever been of value and holy in his life.' Herman Hesse

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Okay... here's my two ideas...

He will see either a.) Stephen King

or b.) a rose he must tend to....

At least that was my original idea of how the book would end... now, who knows?

Breaker Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

I feel that he will be reunited with all the lost members of his past in the clearing

Gunslinger Apprentice sai delgado is on a distinguished road sai delgado's Avatar

My Mood
    Confused
    Country
    Country Flag

I think he would probably die, after all those loops he must be quite old, so death would probably be a blessing. But maybe he will end up in a world like the one susannah went to, with all of his loved ones together again.

Or maaaaybe he will enter a dark and scary place in the gap between worlds to the sound of dudachuck? dudachee? and the last cries of roland will be NOOOO
    'He bowed low, right down to the ground, in front of the man sitting there motionless, whose smile reminded him of everything that he had ever loved in his life, of everything that had ever been of value and holy in his life.' Herman Hesse

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I did think...along time ago...that Mother Abagail was going to be the Tower, or at the top of it. Can't remember now why I thought that?

I thought though (and still think) that ultimately Roland will find his death there eventually, but it will be a sweet release.

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Personally, I don't think Roland will ever "complete the loop." I like the idea of Roland as a mythological figure and in a lot of mythology the circle never ends, death and rebirth keep going around and around. Ka won't end, and neither will Roland's travels. Now, if I had to choose what I would want for an ending for Roland if his travels ever did end, it'd be to be reunited with Susan.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes, I've been thinking more and more this past year that he represents the struggle between good and evil and that maybe Roland's loop is eternal - but the there's always the question of the horn...

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by Darkthoughts View Post
    ... but the there's always the question of the horn...
    Good point Darkthoughts. I see it like this... what we don't know is this, when we first met Roland, we don't know how many times he has already done the loop. It is possible that he has already done this many times, each time making a "mistake" like dropping the horn that needs to be rectified the next time around. Let's assume that he remembers the horn on his next circuit, does he do everything else "correctly?" My personal thought is that each time around it is Roland's ka to "forget" something that he would need to complete the quest, forcing him to eternally repeat the cycle. Roland is an agent of the Tower's ka, and so long as the Tower stands, Roland goes around again.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast