Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: HOW TO: Store/Pack Your Books for a Cross-Country Move

Gunslinger Apprentice inertia1215 is on a distinguished road inertia1215's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default HOW TO: Store/Pack Your Books for a Cross-Country Move

Hey guys I need a little advice, I am going to be moving over 1000 miles away in a few months and have been thinking about moving my collection.

What is the best way to do this?? ie.. best type of container? I have seen a few plastic trunk style containers that are lined with what I think looked like a cheap pine plywood, but would this help humidity levels??

I am kinda at a loss and don't know how long they will be boxed up, we are going with one of those PODS so we can pack gradually, and unfortunately with a large and very heavy collection it is likley they will be packed earlier in the process, therefore they might sit for a while.

Also how should the books be put in a container? stacked flat??

Thanks so much in advance for any advice, I know i'm kinda new here but have been lurking like crazy, and have been soaking up info like a sponge!!

Thanks again, sorry for my crazy ranting. It happens.

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

As a veteran of many local moves, I'd say if you can be sure the Pod is going to be dry, and have a quick printer nearby (Kinko's, for example) see if they will give you their empty 8 1/2 x 11 paper boxes. They are perfect for books and stack well. If you're concerned about moisture, then plastic may be the way to go.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Hey inertia1215, I moved this to Collecting Tutorials so you'd get some better advice.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Gunslinger Apprentice inertia1215 is on a distinguished road inertia1215's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks!! I'll check out a local Kinkos!

Anyone know where I could get wooden luggage style trunks fairly cheap? I'm on a pretty tight budget moving is expensive

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by inertia1215 View Post
    Thanks!! I'll check out a local Kinkos!

Anyone know where I could get wooden luggage style trunks fairly cheap? I'm on a pretty tight budget moving is expensive
    wooden luggage style trunks

Any reason to buy wood? If you're looking to save money, and you only need them for the move itself, I would think sturdy cardboard boxes would be fine.

Glad to hear you came out of lurkdom, keep on posting.

p.s. I'm going to slightly re-title the thread to keep with the theme.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for the advice Patrick. I'll probably just go with a good strong cardboard.

The only reason I was considering wood, is that I live in a very humid area and thought that might help control moisture with the books? Or is that something I even have to worry about?
    In a book,in a box,high upon a shelf
    In a locked a guarded vault
    Are things I keep only for myself
    Its your fate,but its not your fault

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I wouldn't worry about short term high humidity. Moisture yes, humidity no.
    I would also suggest you pack the boxes lightly. Having just helped someone move 100+ boxes of books, I witnessed others dropping, sliding, tossing boxes that were packed too heavily. Try not to have any boxes weigh more than 35 lbs.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I agree with RF completely on that last point. I have helped so many people move where they just packed boxes until they were full, without a thought as to the weight.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks so much for the advice guys, I feel much more confident about my books arriving in my new home safely.
    In a book,in a box,high upon a shelf
    In a locked a guarded vault
    Are things I keep only for myself
    Its your fate,but its not your fault

She gave me a pen. Ves'Ka Gan is on a distinguished road Ves'Ka Gan's Avatar

My Mood
    Sneaky
    Country
    Country Flag

I am about to make a similar move--but I wanted to add a few months ago I had to put A LOT of books into storage, and I used the plastic rubbermaid style containers that have the clips on the side to ensure they are closed. You can find them on sale at Wal-Mart or target (maybe funky colors) but they are sturdy and stackable, and easy to carry when all packed up. Plus any moisture/humidity is safely away from my books.

Of course in the last few months I've ended up with a lot more books, so I'll probably be buying one or two more of those boxes, but I love them! I pack all sorts of things in them.
    YOU MUST CHILL. I HAVE HIDDEN YOUR KEYS.

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Any tips from folks who have moved overseas? I am thinking that plastic containers are a must plus bubble-wrap and filler(s). Any thoughts on the subject will be appreciated.

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

It is official that I will be packing up my books. If anyone has any ideas how to safely package my book collection in an efficient and cost effective way the advise will be greatly appreciated. I do not think I want the movers to pack these up.

Gunslinger Apprentice neosatus will become famous soon enough neosatus will become famous soon enough neosatus's Avatar

You can get 12X12 boxes at Walmart for about 60 cents each. I use these to ship books Wolrdwide and I've never had a damaged book complaint.

Bubblewrap each book individually with 3 layers of bubblewrap for smaller books, 4 layers for larger books, 5-6 layers for very large books (i.e. traycased S/Ls or Lettereds) and boxed sets.
    Tape them up nice and tight so the bubblewrap is as rigid as possible.
    Then place books in the middle area of the box all the way to the top, leaving half an inch to an inch.
    Use packing peanuts to fill the box up and pack them nice and tight as you're distributing them throughout the empty space of the box.
    Tape the box up with 3 strips of tape per open side, ideally using a bone folder or similar tool to securely bond the tape to the box. (Using Heavy Duty 3M shipping tape is best)

If you do ^that you can throw the box across the room multiple times and the books will be fine.

Total cost per box? (8-12 books)

~.60 for the box
    ~$3-4 for bubble wrap, peanuts, tape.

And a good bone folder (optional) is about $20.

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for the reply. I am going to shop for packaging this weekend.

Servant of Gan Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Does anyone know who sells bubble wrap book bags, preferably in bulk (and reasonable cost)? I guess I'm not searching right...

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker View Post
    Does anyone know who sells bubble wrap book bags, preferably in bulk (and reasonable cost)? I guess I'm not searching right...

http://www.uline.com/Grp_135/Bubble-Bags

http://www.ebay.com/itm/25-12x15-5-C...-/161173201961

http://www.papermart.com/self-sealin...g-bags/id=4472

Staples sells six packs of bags if someone needs just a few.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Servant of Gan Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

That is perfect! Thanks so much.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I may be on the move soon-ish, for the first time in over 15 years, and I have amassed quite a bit of books, movies, and CDs in that time. It won't be too far away. What would some who have had to move their libraries (even though mine's not as large as most) suggest I do? Some tips?

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Solid Plastic bins, Bubble Wrap, cardboard (to house special editions), and tape. I moved 5 times (2 of these were overseas) in five years and there were very few issues. All books were bubbled wrapped, or bubble bagged, with stiff cardboard protecting between layers, and special books were bubble wrapped and then sandwiched with cardboard to protect the books corners. Any gaps in the bin were filled solid with peanuts or other packing material. I had two casualties with over 300 books. I'm sure there was some added stress to spines in the larger editions but overall this format worked well.

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    I may be on the move soon-ish, for the first time in over 15 years, and I have amassed quite a bit of books, movies, and CDs in that time. It won't be too far away. What would some who have had to move their libraries (even though mine's not as large as most) suggest I do? Some tips?

+ Reply to Thread