Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What Happened? Justifying the Fates of Characters...*spoilers

Traveler lovemachine46147 is on a distinguished road

Awesome! I can't believe I missed that. Thanks, I'm so happy

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

For my part I am happy that Susannah didn't find Oy over there. Perfect happy ending doesn't seem real at all.

Roland would have understood.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Too good to be true?

That's deep.

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

no, i agree with letti. it felt rushed!
    'oh look here comes a dog with gold rimmed eyes'
    obviously not Oy, just a dog that has a small likeness to him

i felt that with the sacrifice Oy made, i was happy that he met the real Jake at the clearing at the end of the path, that to me was the happy ending, i pictured Oy, Jake and Eddie together at the end.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

So who is disagreeing? I'm just not sure if I see the point.

It's easy to imagine that "the clearing at the end of the path" is a perfect happy ending, as long as we don't know much about it. Could it be that spiritual happiness is directly opposed to scientific comprehension? Does heaven have to be separate from real life?

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

sorry path, i thought you were disagreeing with letti. my fault for mis-interpreting

in regards to your post, i would not say that death (the clearing) is the perfect happy ending. However, from a purely personal point of view, i would have prefered this ending to the one in the book

Gunslinger Apprentice AcidBumbler is on a distinguished road AcidBumbler's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I adored Oy.
    King said they just might have found a dog whose barks sound eerily like human speech and which has an exceptionally long neck, etc.
    Something like that.
    If you love me, then love me - Susan Delgado

The world eventually sends out a mean-ass Patrol Boy to slow your progress and show you who's boss - Stephen King

Will always love Paul Aaron Mills; He is the Roland to my Susan

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by candy View Post
    no, i agree with letti. it felt rushed!
    'oh look here comes a dog with gold rimmed eyes'
    obviously not Oy, just a dog that has a small likeness to him
    the more I read those discussions, the more I feel that it was all intended - the end being rushed, the dissatisfaction of big part of readers, the vagueness of the outcome for those four... like, you know, we had only our own conscience to deal with it and nothing but our hearts to tell us where the truth lay. It's another of Sai King's visions, and I am very grateful to him that he didn't ruin it by dotting all the i's, which he is otherwise rather prone to doing.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

It's just frustrating when there are no real answers.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

There are real answers, only King doesn't know them. He showed what he knew, the rest is up to us; it's the way of any true mystic, as opposed to seller of quack remedies.

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

That's right, Jean. I'm sorry; I was still talking about the clearing.

When we have the real answers, contentment might no longer seem unrealistic.

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    It's just frustrating when there are no real answers.
    For me it's super exciting. Real mind-candy. It's not frustrating at all. (for me)

Roland would have understood.

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

"Where ignorance is bliss, 'tis folly to be wise."

John F. Kennedy Twilights Fire is on a distinguished road Twilights Fire's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I found this whole "Susannah found placeholder Eddie, Jake and Oy" a bit dissapointing... I just would like to imagine she really did get together with Eddie, Jake and Oy at the end of the clearing... (Although I don't believe in an afterlife)

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Twilights Fire View Post
    I found this whole "Susannah found placeholder Eddie, Jake and Oy" a bit dissapointing... I just would like to imagine she really did get together with Eddie, Jake and Oy at the end of the clearing... (Although I don't believe in an afterlife)

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

I don't get it.
    How can people get together when they do not exist?

Country
    Country Flag

what do you call "exist"? (and "people", for that matter, too)

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Do you always answer a question with a question?

What I want to know is what is called "really getting together", and what the difference from what happened in DT7 is supposed to be.

Country
    Country Flag

I see now. I suppose the answer is "none", because in both cases we have to do with different beings than what they were during the quest, and that is one of the (many) reasons why I don't object to the way it was presented in DT7. By the way, it may also be interpreted as Susannah dying in todash behind the door and actually going to the Clearing, since what happens in the Clearing is not for us to know yet.

Do I?

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    I see now. I suppose the answer is "none", because in both cases we have to do with different beings than what they were during the quest, and that is one of the (many) reasons why I don't object to the way it was presented in DT7. By the way, it may also be interpreted as Susannah dying in todash behind the door and actually going to the Clearing, since what happens in the Clearing is not for us to know yet.
    Do I?
    oooo interesting! mm i shall ponder on this awhile

John F. Kennedy Twilights Fire is on a distinguished road Twilights Fire's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Was that a joke at my expense ;-)

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

not at all, i actually agree with you if you look further up the thread you will see that i mentioned it earlier.

Country
    Country Flag

not at all, i actually agree with you if you look further up the thread you will see that i mentioned it earlier.
    Wohoo to our agreement!

Traveler Russ is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

King says they will find a dog with a long neck that's bark sometimes sounds like speech.

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

I suggest that What happened to Oy? be merged with this thread.

The title could be something like "Justifying the Fates of Characters."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2