Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Which one do you Prefer?

Voters
132. You may not vote on this poll
  • Desperation

89 67.42%
  • The Regulators

43 32.58%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Desperation Vs The Regulators

Gunslinger Apprentice Baradin is on a distinguished road Baradin's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool

Default Desperation Vs The Regulators

Ok here's the poll. So which was the one you liked better. Also let us know which one you read first as that seems to be the deciding factor for a great many people.

I started with Regulators then read Desperation, but I really like Desperation and not so much the Regulators. Good stories both, but Desperation was just so much more.. fluid. It had a better groove.
    "And within it, a stairway, perhaps rising to the Godhead itself. Would you dare climb to the top, gunslinger? Could it be that somewhere above all of endless reality, there exists a room?...

You dare not."

Mi him en tow
    Mi tow can de lach.

Gunslinger Apprentice Chassit is on a distinguished road Chassit's Avatar

I too read Desperation first and found it to be the better of the two.

XIX
    "See the TURTLE of enormous girth,
    On his shell he holds the earth.
    If you want to run and play,
    Come along the BEAM today."

NFA JJG 42-95

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Desperation. Hands down. No comparison.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I read Desperation first and enjoyed it. A short time later I started The Regulators and read about 1/10th of it and hated it. I put the book down and picked it up >5 years later. I then read it and although I finished it and it was interesting, I still thought Desperation was better.

Gunslinger Apprentice towerguard is on a distinguished road towerguard's Avatar

Desperation is my fav. King book of all time. Alot my friends who read King say it's their favorite too. Maybe it's a location thing.
    I think we ought to read only the kind of books that wound and stab us. If the book we are reading doesn't wake us up with a blow on the head, what are we reading it for? - Franz Kafka

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I haven't read the Regulators, but I really didn't like Desperation at all. I didn't think it was badly written or without good characters, I just find alot of books from that particular era of King's writing, too bleak.

Demon of the Prim Ruki is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

i liked the regulators more. i thought it was weirder and more fucked up. maybe it has something to do with reading it first.

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Are they interlinked? Would I like Regulators even if I didn't like Desperation?

Gunslinger Apprentice Chassit is on a distinguished road Chassit's Avatar

They are indeed linked. Hard to say as far as your second question goes because they are different stories (mostly).

XIX
    "See the TURTLE of enormous girth,
    On his shell he holds the earth.
    If you want to run and play,
    Come along the BEAM today."

NFA JJG 42-95

Gunslinger Apprentice Old Man Splitfoot is on a distinguished road

I read the Regulators first, and at the time of my first reading, it was the one I liked more. But a couple years later, I found the two of them in HC for really cheap, and reread them, and now I like Desperation more. Desperation has actually become one of my favorite King novels.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Darkthoughts View Post
    Are they interlinked? Would I like Regulators even if I didn't like Desperation?
    Here is a brief description and then a link to a site that has done a very nice comparison.
    BE WARNED!
    The site does list characters that live in one book and die in the other.

Desperation vs. The Regulators!
    Desperation and The Regulators was published simultaneously, and both novels really center around a new personification of evil that goes by the name of Tak. But Tak isn´t the only 'thing' the two books has in common.
    One of the major points of interest between these two books, is King´s use of the characters in each novel.
    Here is a little collection I have found...
    http://users.cybercity.dk/~nmb21186/desreg.htm

Mother of Dragons Erin will become famous soon enough Erin will become famous soon enough Erin's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm the second vote for The Regulators. I read it when I was maybe 14 or so and loved loved loved it. I read Desperation about a year later and for some reason I can't remember much of it. I need to do a re-read. Who knows, I may change my mind.
    I am Daenerys Stormborn and I will take what is mine. With fire and blood.

Regulators was good, even though it took two pages to describe the summer at the start lol... but Desperation is an amazing book, they don't even compare really.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

The Regulators has nothing on Desperation.

Gunslinger Apprentice VolsToTheWall is on a distinguished road VolsToTheWall's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I read The Regulators before I read Desperation. I liked both books, but I enjoyed Desperation much more.

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

I read The Regulators first, and I like a lot of stuff about it more. I like the cartoon characters coming to life and such, and I think I like it better, but as much as I like it, on all honesty, Desperation is probably the better story overall because you find out more about Tak in it.
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for the link RF!! I'll buy Regulators when I get paid this week and then maybe re-read Desperation.

Hiiiiiiii. Spencer will become famous soon enough Spencer's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Here's how big the gap is for me.

1. Desperation is my favorite non Dark Tower King book.

2. I'd be willing to say that The Regulators is my least favorite Bachman book

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Rorschach View Post
    1. Desperation is my favorite non Dark Tower King book.

Peaches Telynn will become famous soon enough Telynn will become famous soon enough Telynn's Avatar

I liked them both, but Desperation was a better book, in my opinion. That is why I would tell someone to read The Regulators first. I think if I had read them the other way around, I don't think I would have liked The Regulators as much.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

What did you all like so much about Desperation? (Those of you counting it as a favourite).

Peaches Telynn will become famous soon enough Telynn will become famous soon enough Telynn's Avatar

I thought the story was deeper. More to it.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Darkthoughts View Post
    What did you all like so much about Desperation? (Those of you counting it as a favourite).
    One word: TAK!!

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

... Yeah, that was cool - I preferred the story once it moved out of the police station and into the mine stuff. Did you think Tak was IT? I maybe getting confused, its a while since I read it, but I seem to recall thinking that.

Demon of the Prim Ruki is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

that crossed my mind while i was reading the regulators, but it didn't feel right so i never put much thought into it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast