Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Eddie's Age - Which One Is It?

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

i also picked up on this, but as mentioned above i put this down to the breakin of the beams and tme being in flux. i just thought SK was super clever, and i prefer to go on thinking this

Banned obscurejude is on a distinguished road

Super clever, but inevitably human, even on paper. He's not really a ves ka.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by candy View Post
    i also picked up on this, but as mentioned above i put this down to the breakin of the beams and tme being in flux.
    That's part of what I've always thought, and am going to keep thinking. This, and the fact that the existence in the universe - let alone multiverse - is paradoxical and self-contradictory, seldom consistent and often making no sense. The saga is only a true reflection of that.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by candy View Post
    i also picked up on this, but as mentioned above i put this down to the breakin of the beams and tme being in flux.
    That's part of what I've always thought, and am going to keep thinking. This, and the fact that the existence in the universe - let alone multiverse - is paradoxical and self-contradictory, seldom consistent and often making no sense. The saga is only a true reflection of that.
    Convenient.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

No, not really. The Dark Tower is unique in this sense. If anyone else tries to do the same, he would have to prove his choice of means by the equal magnitude of what he endeavors to create, or else it will look ridiculous. I believe the means sai King used perfectly suit his purpose, and the result is convincing as it is. Look at most (if not all) artificially constructed universes that suit the logic of three-dimensional continuity: they all feel dead, and the Dark Tower multiverse feels alive, like the world around us that we perceive by many more means than merely cartesian; I am sure not in spite of, but largely thanks to the so-called "errors"

(It feels that way to bears, anyway.)

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No, not really. The Dark Tower is unique in this sense. If anyone else tries to do the same, he would have to prove his choice of means by the equal magnitude of what he endeavors to create.
    If there weren't errors in non DT books as well, your point would have more gravitas. King is notorious for having his books very slightly edited, mostly to just appease the publishing houses. I think its cool, but I also think that's the real reason that things like the disparity between Eddie's ages transpires.

Don't blame me for bringing reality into the fiction. King started it, when he inserted "real" books, characters, and himself. That's when the whole "this is the multiverse" excuse lost its appeal. Its just a personal opinion, and I admit its subjective.

Traveler RBoz3 is on a distinguished road RBoz3's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

No, not really. The Dark Tower is unique in this sense. If anyone else tries to do the same, he would have to prove his choice of means by the equal magnitude of what he endeavors to create, or else it will look ridiculous. I believe the means sai King used perfectly suit his purpose, and the result is convincing as it is. Look at most (if not all) artificially constructed universes that suit the logic of three-dimensional continuity: they all feel dead, and the Dark Tower multiverse feels alive, like the world around us that we perceive by many more means than merely cartesian; I am sure not in spite of, but largely thanks to the so-called "errors"

Absolutely. The reason this feels so "convincing" is because it is a part of an already constructed universe... Ours. We are able to make the relation because the story pulls us in through NYC, through Topeka, Kansas, through SK himself being a part of it. These correlations create the need to feel related to it. Eddie's age change, in my humble opinion, is able to be adjusted by different factors. Time is a face on the water. Between being in NY, being pulled through his door, being forced into a WORLD not his own, I can understand how this mistake could easily be Eddie's. There have most certainly been times in my life where I felt I could have been older / younger than I am, and with a lot on my plate, if asked, could have told you that was the case.

As closely as I feel to Eddie being in my second read-through, minus the drug addictions , I can understand how this age difference could be his fault.

I hope none of you ever visit a publishing house, meet an editor in real life, or god forbid see a printing press. It reminds me of homestead baptists who defend the King James Version of the Bible to the death.

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by RBoz3 View Post
    Absolutely. The reason this feels so "convincing" is because it is a part of an already constructed universe... Ours. We are able to make the relation because the story pulls us in through NYC, through Topeka, Kansas, through SK himself being a part of it. These correlations create the need to feel related to it. Eddie's age change, in my humble opinion, is able to be adjusted by different factors. Time is a face on the water. Between being in NY, being pulled through his door, being forced into a WORLD not his own, I can understand how this mistake could easily be Eddie's. There have most certainly been times in my life where I felt I could have been older / younger than I am, and with a lot on my plate, if asked, could have told you that was the case.

As closely as I feel to Eddie being in my second read-through, minus the drug addictions , I can understand how this age difference could be his fault.
    Where that totally falls apart for me is that the error doesn't occur with Eddie stating his age differently twice. It's not in dialogue but in narrative descriptions where Eddie's age is given differently. It certainly has nothing to do with Eddie.

As much as we'd like to "believe" in Roland's world, there comes a time in discussions to acknowledge that it's a work of fiction and its internal mistakes are not the fault of crumbling fictional beams or the moving on of a world that doesn't actually exist. Perhaps it's not as fun to view it this way, but the fact is King made a mistake and the editor didn't catch it.

Gunslinger Apprentice EdwardDean1999 is on a distinguished road EdwardDean1999's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by obscurejude View Post

I do absolve King, though, in the name of father, son, and holy spirit.
    HA!

Do You Folks Like Coffee?
    Real Coffee,
    From the Hills Of Colombia?

The Duncan Hills awake you
    from a thousand deaths.
    A cup of blackened blood.
    (Die, Die)
    You're dying for a cup.

Gunslinger Apprentice EdwardDean1999 is on a distinguished road EdwardDean1999's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by obscurejude View Post
    I hope none of you ever visit a publishing house, meet an editor in real life, or god forbid see a printing press. It reminds me of homestead baptists who defend the King James Version of the Bible to the death.
    And that was funny too!

Do You Folks Like Coffee?
    Real Coffee,
    From the Hills Of Colombia?

The Duncan Hills awake you
    from a thousand deaths.
    A cup of blackened blood.
    (Die, Die)
    You're dying for a cup.

Gunslinger Apprentice ClicheGuevara is on a distinguished road ClicheGuevara's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

You know, I didn't even think about his age until I read this thread. . Guess I'm not all that observant. . in my head I always thought he was about 25, 26.

Along the Path of the Beam Matt of Gilead is on a distinguished road

Bears have a strange view of things, in my opinion. I believe that King's multiverse feels alive because he is a damn good author. However, his distaste for editing means that his editors don't catch every mistake.
    "The ability to get back up after a defeat is far more admirable than the ability to never lose." -Narumi Kiyotaka

John F. Kennedy Silvermoth is on a distinguished road Silvermoth's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I always pictured him as a 21 year old probably because of his immaturity

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RBoz3 View Post

Where that totally falls apart for me is that the error doesn't occur with Eddie stating his age differently twice. It's not in dialogue but in narrative descriptions where Eddie's age is given differently. It certainly has nothing to do with Eddie.

As much as we'd like to "believe" in Roland's world, there comes a time in discussions to acknowledge that it's a work of fiction and its internal mistakes are not the fault of crumbling fictional beams or the moving on of a world that doesn't actually exist. Perhaps it's not as fun to view it this way, but the fact is King made a mistake and the editor didn't catch it.

By the way, Eddie is "Old enough to know better!!" lol lol lol

I just crack myself up!!! lol lol

All do respect...Give me a break, he fucked up! Doesn't ruin the overall story. it's a relatively minor glitch. It happens, move on IMHO

Also, Obscure? Loved that King James comment!! lol lol
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Traveler trig_troll is on a distinguished road

I can't believe that the age thing caught you up but no one noticed Eddie and Henry's dead sister! I don't have the boks in front of me but I'm almost positive that In "Drawing" her name was Selina, in "Wastelands" its "Gloria". Especially considering that Eddie came from the KEYSTONE world!

The BB game in '77 bothered me too. He said it was before Henry went to Vietnam. Vietnam was over by '77.

That being said they are SK's books and authors can write anything they want to.
    Especially brilliant ones that might be a little jacked up.

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, the first is certainly an error. (Just substitute Selina for Gloria when you read it. Or vice versa. For some reason Gloria seems more... Eddiesian to me...)

I'm sure the Vietnam date was an error too, but in hindsight I'd say that's one of the differences from Eddie's world. Oh, and Eddie doesn't come from the keystone world! I don't think any of the ka-tet do.

shrewd and knavish sprite flaggwalkstheline will become famous soon enough flaggwalkstheline's Avatar

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

I think inconsistencies such as eddies age can be blamed on stephen king, you know the fictional one who was posessed by gan and such
    if the worlds gonna end then let's get it over with, i got shit to do

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

or maybe different Eddies?
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Citizen of Gilead Roland of Gilead 33 will become famous soon enough Roland of Gilead 33's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

good point, different Eddie's. my guess is that both the publisher & "SK" just completly forgot about the names when it comes to 'Eddie's Sister i mean, actually i always forget he even has a sister! cause it's mentioned so briefly that it's NOT even funny. NOT that i expect an entire chapter about it i don't. but i'm just saying i always forget he even had a sister!

anyways, my guess is his age is 23 like "SK" said in 'The Waste Lands" i forget how old he was suppose to be in 'DT2" though, one question though, does any of the characters age while on the quest? we know 'Roland" i think does after meeting Walter in the 1st book.

in that world before he meets up with walter it makes me wonder on how much 'Roland" slept well that walter my guess made him sleep.. i wonder if the war was still going on in "LUD" ? hot & heavy with "David Quick" at the helm perhaps? or maybe even before him?

Traveler Bama71 is on a distinguished road Bama71's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

I've noticed the continuity errors dealing with Eddie and Susannah's ages myself. King also writes that Detta Walker would dance with the white boys 'to ofay party music like Double Shot of My Baby's Love', a song which was not released until 1966 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Swingin%27_Medallions), making her 2 years older than stated. It's always bothered me that these mistakes were left in, while The Gunslinger was updated to fix mistakes. But I agree that over 30 years it would be hard to keep it all together. Maybe someday things will be cleaned up. I've heard that he may revise and update the whole cycle. We'll see.
    Last edited by Bama71; 07-19-2011 at 12:30 PM. Reason: spelling

Traveler SDZald will become famous soon enough SDZald will become famous soon enough

Country
    Country Flag

King is such a good story teller that when I read his books I can be really drawn into the story, it is like I am in the story, the real world vanish and I become part of his created world.

Let's take the DT VII, Roland only has one of his guns after Suze goes through the door to meet up with Eddie and Jake and "live happily ever after." Yet when Roland is hiding behind the ruins as the King tosses Snitches (sp) he thinks he can handle them as long as the King tosses no more then 12 Snitches, since he only has one "six shooter" and really only one good hand shouldn't he be worried about the King tossing more then 6?

YES I know this is so minor a point that it is laughable and affects the story in NO way. Yet it yanks me out of Roland's world, it is like someone jarring me out of a very vivid daydream.

Don't ask me why my brain works the way it does, I mean I am so engrossed in the story how the heck can such a trivial fact jar me out of it? But it does and it distracts from my pleasure of reading such a fine story. Considering there are many such instances of this happening throughout the series it is bothersome to me.

I put most of the blame on the editor, it is their JOB to make sure things like that get cleaned up and they did a very poor job of it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2