Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Whose death was the hardest on you?

Voters
226. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jake Chambers

60 26.55%
  • Eddie Dean

78 34.51%
  • Oy

57 25.22%
  • Sheemi Ruiz

1 0.44%
  • Susan Delgado

20 8.85%
  • Gabriel Deschain

0 0%
  • Randall Flagg

6 2.65%
  • Father Callahan

4 1.77%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 ... LastLast

Thread: Have you cried during the quest? ***END OF SERIES Spoilers***

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

I couldn't make an order in this case. Oy and Roland were suffering very very hard at that time and later as well. I think Roland's sorrow was very deep because of love. He loved that boy from the bottom of his heart. He loved him as much as he was able to love.

Roland would have understood.

Breaker Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    I couldn't make an order in this case. Oy and Roland were suffering very very hard at that time and later as well. I think Roland's sorrow was very deep because of love. He loved that boy from the bottom of his heart. He loved him as much as he was able to love.
    Agreed, it showed how much he cared by the first tears he shed since the death of his first love. I feel that even though both suffer much, Oy's was deeper due to the fact that he must continue on with Roland when he clearly didn't want to. Roland would have went on anyways, but with Jake always within his heart. I'd also like to think that the lady that they met kept her word and planted a rose at his grave site.

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

i agree letti, there was much more to roland's sorrow over jake than his sense of blame. roland loved jake as if he were his son and grieved his loss the same way he would have that of a son. roland and oy at the gravesite is the part of the book that tore out my heart.

Breaker Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    i agree letti, there was much more to roland's sorrow over jake than his sense of blame. roland loved jake as if he were his son and grieved his loss the same way he would have that of a son. roland and oy at the gravesite is the part of the book that tore out my heart.
    But, you couldn't say that Roland would have stayed and died at the grave site, where Oy would have. Not that I hold it against him, I understand the obsession was part of it, and also that you must move on.

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Roland went on because he wanted to give Jake's death a meaning. I don't say he would have spent his whole life at that grave but... I am sure he would have spent there weeks or more.
    Roland was not allowed to stay and die at Jake's grave and not just because of his damn Tower but because of Jake as well.

Roland would have understood.

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    Roland went on because he wanted to give Jake's death a meaning. I don't say he would have spent his whole life at that grave but... I am sure he would have spent there weeks or more.
    Roland was not allowed to stay and die at Jake's grave and not just because of his damn Tower but because of Jake as well.
    I totally agree, it was his way of honoring his dead. If he were to totally give up, Jake would have died in vain and they never should have even come to save King. He need to reach the Tower just to call out his name and forever give him a place of meaning in death.

Quote Originally Posted by Storyslinger View Post
    But, you couldn't say that Roland would have stayed and died at the grave site, where Oy would have. Not that I hold it against him, I understand the obsession was part of it, and also that you must move on.
    you also couldn't say Jake was Roland's master, whereas you could about Oy. Jake can't command Roland but he could command Oy and Oy honored Jake by honoring his wishes. As complex as Oy's emotions are, it's hard to make direct comparisons equating them with Roland's human emotions. humans don't lay down and die for anyone.

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Storyslinger View Post
    you also couldn't say Jake was Roland's master, whereas you could about Oy. Jake can't command Roland but he could command Oy and Oy honored Jake by honoring his wishes. As complex as Oy's emotions are, it's hard to make direct comparisons equating them with Roland's human emotions. humans don't lay down and die for anyone.
    I completely agree. Read the post above this.

Gunslinger Apprentice aurora is on a distinguished road aurora's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Roland actually stated that he loved Jake even more then Susan Delgado, he actually wept at his grave not once more a couple of times. Jakes love for Roland was so strong that he knowing ahead of time what needed to be done still sacrificed himself to save Roland and even while dieing asked his dearest friend and closest companion, Oy (even though he called Roland Father) to protect Roland from Mordred knowing full well what would happen.

Then theres Oy. My gosh who doesn't love Oy and how could you not?!? I could write a ton on Oy but will refrain. The one and only thing I ask is did Oy really leave Jakes grave due to Jakes request or was Oy really part of the ka-tet in its fullest sense? And if Oy was ka-tet with the other 4 would he nt love Roland as much as the others? Would he not also call Roland Father? Would Oy not have the same desire to see the Dark Tower himself? Would he not do all he could to help Roland reach the Tower and shout Oy's name there too? This is not many question but one and is answered by did Oy leave Jakes grave because of Jakes request or because he too was ka-tet with Roland and called him Dinh? I say ka-tet and Roland never fully appreciated this till his, Oy's, sacrifice.

Quote Originally Posted by aurora View Post
    Roland actually stated that he loved Jake even more then Susan Delgado, he actually wept at his grave not once more a couple of times. Jakes love for Roland was so strong that he knowing ahead of time what needed to be done still sacrificed himself to save Roland and even while dieing asked his dearest friend and closest companion, Oy (even though he called Roland Father) to protect Roland from Mordred knowing full well what would happen.

Then theres Oy. My gosh who doesn't love Oy and how could you not?!? I could write a ton on Oy but will refrain. The one and only thing I ask is did Oy really leave Jakes grave due to Jakes request or was Oy really part of the ka-tet in its fullest sense? And if Oy was ka-tet with the other 4 would he nt love Roland as much as the others? Would he not also call Roland Father? Would Oy not have the same desire to see the Dark Tower himself? Would he not do all he could to help Roland reach the Tower and shout Oy's name there too? This is not many question but one and is answered by did Oy leave Jakes grave because of Jakes request or because he too was ka-tet with Roland and called him Dinh? I say ka-tet and Roland never fully appreciated this till his, Oy's, sacrifice.
    aurora, well said, though i do think roland realized oy's place in the tet prior to his final stand. "oy, eld, thankee" is my fav scene of the series, but i think it shows that at least as far back as the calla roland knew oy was part of the tet. also at steke-tete roland shares water with all of them including oy when he feels ka-shume. then there's the vision the grapefruit gave him, if he remembers it all. and yes, i agree that oy went with roland for more than one reason. he felt ka-tet with roland as much as the rest of them did.

Goldmember Míchéal is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Susan....i'm in love with her...

Goldmember Míchéal is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

ok can someone sort that out for me please... i apologise... i was having trouble posting for a few minutes there

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by gunslinger1987 View Post
    ok can someone sort that out for me please... i apologise... i was having trouble posting for a few minutes there
    You can delete them yourself if you go under the edit button, otherwise, just leave them.

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

I couldn't type in the Reply field for awhile and had to close the window and open up a new one before I could. It was weird.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Kingslayer John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

i voted Oy. everyone els ekind of had a choice in their deaths, they were going towards a goal. Oy was just a loyal pet, who although he didn't want to, left Jake's side to follow Roland, to protect him to the end. Which he did.
    "So many vows. They make you swear and swear. Defend the King, obey the King, obey your father, protect the innocent, defend the weak. But what if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another."

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I always saw Oy more a samurai than a loyal pet, so for me, he had a choice in his death, too, dying a perfectly samurai death.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i agree jean. oy was much more than a pet. he was a gunslinger without any guns, and one that saved roland's life at that. oy went with roland bc he was ka-tet with roland. it was a conscious choice. he also chose to fight mordred when he could have tried to run away. mordred was after roland not oy so oy could conceivably have gotten the hell out of there, but instead he chose to face his doom.

Banned obscurejude is on a distinguished road

I agree with Jayson and Jean, but I do want to say that there is something particularly endearing about a loyal pet so I see where John is coming from.

I'm the only one that has voted for the pere so far.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by obscurejude View Post
    I agree with Jayson and Jean, but I do want to say that there is something particularly endearing about a loyal pet so I see where John is coming from.
    yes... and no. Death of a good beloved loyal pet in a novel is something so obviously tear-jerking that I don't think King would ever go along that path.
    Quote Originally Posted by obscurejude View Post
    I'm the only one that has voted for the pere so far.
    his death was - for me - the most majestic, magnificent, luminous, superb scene of the whole novel; I could never say it was "hard" on me, especially not "the hardest" - it was the very top of everything.

The reason that it was so hard for me is that I just wanted more of him in the series. He may be my favorite character. I re-read DT 7 recently and I cried right before they stormed the dixie pig and then a few pages later when he died. It was very emotional for me. I like the way you describe it Jean. It was those things for me as well.

I wouldn't have been moved by just any loyal pet dying nor was I suggesting that was what King was going for. I was just trying to lend a little support John's way.

Country
    Country Flag

both points well taken!

i cried for the Pere as well, i just ultimately cried for jake, oy and eddie more. i knew them better. i did find the pere's redemption and final stand very well written. he died serving the White, which is all he ever really wanted to be doing.

Traveler Oy-Midworld is on a distinguished road Oy-Midworld's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

This ones a tough one. I would really have to say Oy, like some people already said he didn't have much of a choice. He was just being a loyal pet. Jake is a close second though, both were very heartbreaking.

Gunslinger Apprentice aurora is on a distinguished road aurora's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

He was just being a loyal pet.
    This is where I have to say Oy was as much a pet to Jake as Jake was a pet to Roland. Nay, I say Oy was truly sentient, he showed, intelligent choice and expression on several occasions. Not picking a fight just stating my opinion and welcome Oy-midworld!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 ... LastLast