Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

Thread: Um... Just Supposing

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Default Um... Just Supposing

Just supposing someone ( ) took an image and had it made into a bookmark at one of those online places, would that person get in trouble for taking an image they didn't originate.... like if they took something, oh say, from a great MW litho and put it on the bookmark.... they have no plans to sell it or anything.... are we talking jail time?

Just wondering.
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

The image is copyrighted, so its illegal to copy etc. No one would bother if its just for yourself. If you tried to sell or distribute it, you would be in trouble.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Its a very fine line to be sure. I do believe it comes down to weather or not you plan to sell the image.

While it is a technical breech of copyright laws, not profiting from it really comes down to advertisement
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Any time you take a copyrighted image without permission, you are opening yourself up to trouble. It's just dependent on whether the original artist a) finds out about it and b) wants to do anything about it.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

My Mood
    Gay

Oh no... please don't open any mail from Pennsylvania...

Actually, I did make them for myself. It just didn't occur to me what I'd done until I got them home and was like - oh cool.... OH CRAP !

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Chances are, nothing will happen. I mean, I have a ton of copyrighted art in Towerpedia, which I have credited to the artist, but one of them could still tell us not to use it on the site, and we would have to comply.

Of course, eventually I'd like to have all user-generated art in there, so my problem should solve itself.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

My Mood
    Gay

Honestly, my intention ( perhaps already done... doh ! ) was to have them made and give them away to DT fans.... It was pretty much after the fact that it occurred to me that my favorite image(s) aren't exactly mine at all.

Hope I didn't offend anyone. And I hope I don't end up in prison.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Daghain View Post

Chances are, nothing will happen. I mean, I have a ton of copyrighted art in Towerpedia, which I have credited to the artist, but one of them could still tell us not to use it on the site, and we would have to comply.

Of course, eventually I'd like to have all user-generated art in there, so my problem should solve itself.
    We have permission from the Whelans

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, that's one down anyway.

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I think Jae Lee has at least been notified about the comic art as well.

That's short of consent but its something.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, at least no one has sent us a nastygram yet.

My Mood
    Gay

Great. I'll go to prison alone.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by turtlex View Post
    Great. I'll go to prison alone.

No, you can't do that!!!!

They don't get internet in prison.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Vagrant Dead Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking

I was wondering where that came from!

Thanks!!!
    Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think.

My Mood
    Gay

Quote Originally Posted by Nerak View Post
    I was wondering where that came from!

Thanks!!!
    You're welcome ...

Was supposed to be an anonymous surprise, but then I started to think about it and don't want folks to get upset with someone and take aim at someone who didn't do it.

I stand guilty as charged.

No harm intended. All respects to MW. I own two of his lithos myself.

Should have thought more about it before I did it.

Doh!

Banned The Lady of Shadows is on a distinguished road

you know this is an interesting question from a legal perspective. because the images are out there on the internet. and while they are still copyrighted, they are out there. for anyone to get and use. it's a bit of a sticky wicket.

i wonder if the issue would come down to using them for profit or not?

and don't worry turtlex, i spent two and a half years in law school and know some excellent copyright attorneys. i've got your back!

and thanks - really. it's absolutely beautiful!

My Mood
    Gay

turtlesong - thanks! might need your services if someone complains!

To All - i used the image with the utmost respect. I love MW. Like I said, I have two lithos myself.

No plan to ever sell. They are gifts and I trust no one I gift them to will sell them either.

Alex - Check your PM !

Banned The Lady of Shadows is on a distinguished road

i figure our defense will be it wasn't even your idea. it came to you in a dream - it was born of the prim, and the turtle sang to you and you were forced to comply lest the scream of the bear shatter your mind.

how's that sound?

My Mood
    Gay

the turtle sang to me !
    I love that !!!!!!