Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Bad spellers of the world.. Untie!!

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

yes, but not very widely

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

friends, this conversation getting increasingly interesting, I have moved the last two posts to where they belong

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Taken in Northwestern Tenn.

All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Country
    Country Flag

thank you so much for posting it, Jon, you can't even imagine!!!

my friend Helen Finkelstein, with her friend Stephen, are making a site dedicated to how people vandalize English, and they collect all kinds of illustrative material! I hope you won't mind if they use this one? did you take it yourself?

I will post my own photos soon, in both Bad Spellers and Eat, Shoot and Leaves. PLEASE MY FRIENDS:

if you see a mistake in a sign, whenever possible take a picture and post it! (if you don't mind my friends' using it, of course. I'll give you the link when the site is ready) Let's at least try to make the world a better-spelling-and-grammar place!

P.S. I have copied this post to ESaL, too

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes I took that picture, between fits of laughter, and any friend of yours may use it.
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Daghain View Post
    I'm one of those people who was born just naturally knowing how to spell.
    If only I could be one of those... really. I fight with spelling so often (both in Hungarian and English) because I think it's really important.
    Google is my big friend.
    www.dictionary.com is good for spelling too. If you get close enough to the word you want, it will ask you if you meant the correct one.

A life-saver!

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

I found these online...

Buddy, you think you look strong? You’re wearing a cape.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Hahahaah!

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Country
    Country Flag

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

At our workplace there is a sign that says "Childrens Books"

It could be children's books but children is already plural...

Oh but as for a tough word why the hell is colonel spelled that way? Nobody who doesn't have that word in their language is going to know how to spell it because it doesn't sound like it's spelled at all!

Country
    Country Flag

because it is French

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by LadyHitchhiker View Post
    Oh but as for a tough word why the hell is colonel spelled that way? Nobody who doesn't have that word in their language is going to know how to spell it because it doesn't sound like it's spelled at all!
    Well, according to its wikipedia article...

In modern English, the word colonel is pronounced similarly to kernel (of grain) as a result of entering the language from Middle French in two competing forms, dissimilated coronel and colonel. The more conservative spelling colonel was favored in written use and eventually became the standard spelling even as it lost out in pronunciation to coronel.

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

do they pronounce it "kernel" though?

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by LadyHitchhiker View Post
    do they pronounce it "kernel" though?
    who, the French? they pronounce it ko-lo-nel, the last syllable stressed, "l" always soft, "o" unknown to Americans.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Americans pronounce it kernel.

Mother of Dragons Erin will become famous soon enough Erin will become famous soon enough Erin's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

So, how sad is it that I just realized i've been spelling "separate" as "seperate" for years now.

I bet i've been driving you guys nuts this whole time.
    I am Daenerys Stormborn and I will take what is mine. With fire and blood.

Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    So, how sad is it that I just realized i've been spelling "separate" as "seperate" for years now.

I bet i've been driving you guys nuts this whole time.
    Yes, but I'd only correct you if you did it in this thread.

Mother of Dragons Erin will become famous soon enough Erin will become famous soon enough Erin's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

thanks.

Well, at least now I know how it's properly spelled.
    I am Daenerys Stormborn and I will take what is mine. With fire and blood.

So now you have something to post in the "learn something new everyday" thread

Au Naturale theBeamisHome is on a distinguished road theBeamisHome's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

how often do you transpose the t and e in quiet? ending up with quite instead... i think i just observed this somewhere....

Human kind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. That is alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange. In those days, we really believed that to be the world's one and only truth.

Psychopath William50 is on a distinguished road William50's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by theBeamisHome View Post
    how often do you transpose the t and e in quiet? ending up with quite instead... i think i just observed this somewhere....
    I have never even seen that before. If somebody ever tells you that you spelled something wrong, just say it was a typo so you don't look stupid.
    I have no faith in human perfectability. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active - not more happy - nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. - Edgar Allan Poe

Bunch together a group of people deliberately chosen for strong religious feelings, and you have a practical guarantee of dark morbidities expressed in crime, perversion, and insanity. - H.P. Lovecraft

Country
    Country Flag

and, William... while we are at it... it's Edgar Allan Poe... I would be so grateful if you correct it in your signature, it has been bothering me for weeks!

(and your profile too, ok? )

Psychopath William50 is on a distinguished road William50's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I knew it!!!!!!! I was spelling it that way but my stupid dad told me it was Allen instead of Allan. Thank you!
    I have no faith in human perfectability. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active - not more happy - nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. - Edgar Allan Poe

Bunch together a group of people deliberately chosen for strong religious feelings, and you have a practical guarantee of dark morbidities expressed in crime, perversion, and insanity. - H.P. Lovecraft

Country
    Country Flag

The Decoy Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

Quote Originally Posted by William50 View Post
    I knew it!!!!!!! I was spelling it that way but my stupid dad told me it was Allen instead of Allan. Thank you!
    You should have just said it was a typo.
    A true firewasp ninja would never wear such a ridiculous sweater.

There's logic in nonsense.

Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast