Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: DT7 The Dark Tower Q and A

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by candy View Post
    i felt that Roland should have reached the tower alone, not with patrick who had only come into the story, 100 pages or so ago.
    That's what actually made the story ring so painfully true to me. He had lost everyone he'd just learned - the hard way - to love; and he reached his ultimate goal with someone whose life he had managed to save, but who he didn't care a fuck about, nor who could care a fuck about the Tower.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

That's very poignant Jean, an important point.

The answer is within

all matter is energy, all energy is GOD

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by obscurejude View Post
    Although you knew it was coming, which death was the most difficult for you?
    Sheemie.
    At the time, I was most moved by the death of Oy, but over the long run I've found that it is the fate of Sheemie which most troubles me.
    "And, even if wars didn't keep coming like glaciers, there would still be plain old death."
    --Kurt Vonnegut,
    Slaughterhouse-Five
    or
    The Children's Crusade

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

aw bless you path, and i tend to agree. probabley because after all you had learnt about him, his death ended up being an aside 'oh by the way sheemie died while you were away'

thats why it troubles me anyway, that he and his sacrifices have so easily been brushed to one side

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

exactly

I am so sad when I think of this that I almost never do.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gunslinger Apprentice AcidBumbler is on a distinguished road AcidBumbler's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

What was your favorite part of this book?
    Hmm... that's quite difficult.
    I think it was probably... the first time Mordred changed - it did actually surprise me.

What was your least favorite part of this book?
    Mrs. Rassenbaum or whatever she was called. I found her a bit annoying.

Hmm... it could be Eddie's because I didn't expect it at all.
    And I didn't know it was coming, actually - I was still open to the idea that he might let at least one of the Ka-tet accompany Roland to the Tower.
    But then again, Jake's and Oy's were horrible - I love that billy-bumbler ¬_¬

Did you like Patrick Danville and his role in the tale?
    Yeah, I liked the way he hooted as communication, haha.
    And as for his power... I loved that. Really awesome.

What were your thoughts when we finally encountered the Crimson King?
    Made me laugh that he looked like Santa.
    Classic.
    I expected the weird scaly CK that was in another book (Insomnia?), so I was actually surprised that he looked human.

Which of the Founding Fathers is your favorite, Moses Carver, John Cullum or Aaron Deepneau?
    Moses. Found him funny and liked his personality.
    Especially the thumping the floor with his cane; reminded me of a character out of a video game I liked.

Did you like Whelan's visual of the Dark Tower? If not, then why?
    I loved his drawings - they're beautiful and it was almost exactly as I imagined it.
    Liked the drawing of Oy, although I'd imagined him as being a bit more rounded for some reason o.O

Bing! Were you a fan of Joe Collins' stand up routine?
    No. He did my head in.
    Although I liked the originality of death by laughter.
    If you love me, then love me - Susan Delgado

The world eventually sends out a mean-ass Patrol Boy to slow your progress and show you who's boss - Stephen King

Will always love Paul Aaron Mills; He is the Roland to my Susan

Gunslinger Apprentice AcidBumbler is on a distinguished road AcidBumbler's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

EDIT: Oy's death was actually the worst now I think of it, because of the way it was done... he died protecting Roland, and it was a much slower and more painful death than Jake's or Eddie's (but possibly not than Sheemie's). I hated it when he got impaled :'(
    If you love me, then love me - Susan Delgado

The world eventually sends out a mean-ass Patrol Boy to slow your progress and show you who's boss - Stephen King

Will always love Paul Aaron Mills; He is the Roland to my Susan

Traveler Timebomber is on a distinguished road

When Mordred first transformed into the spider and killed Mia while breast-feeding. Scariest thing I ever read/imagined.

I didn't like the whole 'harry potter' sneetch thing. But I took care of that by imagining a more complex Phantasm type device, even multiple types that attack you in different ways. Some with spinning blades, some that fire shrapnel, explosive, and even some that extend and impale.

Eddie's was, mainly because I honestly didn't see it coming.

Yes, I really liked his character, however I wanted to know his backstory, and considering everyone else died with Roland, I was kind of hoping that one of the Crimson's Kings sneetches killed Patrick, but also ripped the drawing in half, tearing his own legs or arms off . That would have been crazy.

The way I visualized the Crimson King was actually extremely scary. I noticed alot of people saying they were dissapointed in the way he looked, resembling santa claus, however I took that as inspiration for my vision of him... I basically imagined this demonic skeletal sauramon in a red layered cloak, but with some asian influences. Like a father christmas vampire lord.
    I also invisioned him still choking up the blood from the spoon in his stomach, having it spill out his mouth as he screams to Roland.
    And of course, I imagined the sneetches to be more dynamic variety then just some harry potter rip off.

Which of the Founding Fathers is your favorite, Moses Carver, John Cullum or Aaron Deepneau?

I really like John Cullum, mainly because he was more involved into the stoy.

Oh yeah without a doubt. Best illustrations in the novels.

I was a fan of the concept, but I really didn't laugh out loud at his jokes. In other words, he was no Eddie Murphy.

Traveler yesterday's_eyes is on a distinguished road yesterday's_eyes's Avatar

Hmmm...this is tough. Jake and Callahan in the Dixie Pig/Roland and Susannah's encounter with Dandelo

The fact that Mordred was forgotten for what seems like the majority of the book. Such a good build up at the end of Song of Susannah and the beginning of this one. Then after the first few hundred pages he's pretty much gone until the very end of the book. Didn't like that much. Although I did like the final battle between him, Roland, and Oy.

Probably Eddie's or Jake's.

Yes I did.

Hmm I thought that the Crimson King turned out pretty interesting. Not at all what I thought he would be like, but interesting nontheless. I enjoyed his encounter with Roland.

Which of the Founding Fathers is your favorite, Moses Carver, John Cullum or No question, Cullum.

Yep.

Nope not really. But I thought that Dandelo was pretty awesome and so was the idea of dying from laughter. I loved this part of the book.

Along the Path of the Beam Rambo, John J is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

When the ka-tet was reunited. Right up until they'd gotten through the door I was convinced one of them was going to die before they were all reunited. Thanks in part to some excellent red-herring foreshadowing by King.

After Jake and Eddie had died and it was just Roland, Susannah and Oy, Susannah seemed to completely turn on Roland. Understandably I guess, but the breakdown in their relationship wasn't enjoyable. Although on a re-read, it didn't seem so bad.

I read a review on aintitcool (a non-spoiler review supposedly) and the guy spoiled the fact that members of the ka-tet died. That said, the most difficult for me was Jake's. Mainly because Roland couldn't be at his side. Christ, I hated King at that moment.

I'd read Insomnia and was expecting PD at some point. But his role and character wasn't what I was expecting.

EEEEEEE!!! Heh. I remember thinking to myself 'what a bumhug'. Then I burst out laughing. I realised thats exactly what Eddie and Jake would have said - and thats what the CK was all along. Just another bumhug.

John Cullum.

Yes indeed!

Not my kind of comedy i'm afraid. Even less so because I was mentally screaming at Roland 'Jesus Christ, you're a goddam gunslinger!'

Traveler alice_in_chainz is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by sinstar View Post

Hmm. Although in some ways I HATED it, the ending was amazing.

I didn't like the whole white lands crap. too long.

Eddie's without a doubt. I KNEW it had to be Eddie ( i thought he would be the only death ) , because he was the odd one out. Susannah was a woman, Jake was a child, Oy was an animal, and Roland was a man. I had no doubt that Roland would live, so I knew that Eddie would probably die. I LOVED Eddie.

But Oy also made me tear up. I thought afterwards that perhaps Roland would rule the tower with Oy at his side, and when Susannah asked Oy to come with her and Oy said "Olan", I actually believed he would stay till the end.

LOVED it. Didn't see it coming at all.

I thought he was perfect, almost too insane maybe though.

Cullum. He reminded me of a character in The Stand. Can't remember which though.

Amazing.

Not at all

Tom Cullen is it???

Citizen of Gilead stone, rose, unfound door is on a distinguished road stone, rose, unfound door's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

The coda that I found perfectly fit in with the whole story.

The attack on Algul Siento, especially the beginning. I thought it showed so much decay I felt disgusted.

Oy's because I felt it wasn't right. He was a symbol of devotion and I truly believe that justice always wins, no matter how irrealistic this may sound to you

I had trouble with the character. He is shown as a failure in every way but he is still a very talented artist. I thought it wasn't fair that he ended up in such a place and in such a state. I was expecting him to have a bigger role and not be such a dumb character that only comes in the story as an afterthought the way he did. I thought he'd take part in the journey from an earlier point in the story. It feels as though Ka had decided on every step Roland took and I don't believe in fate so I thought it a bit lame on SK's part to give such a big role to a character we have only seen for a few seconds in Insomnia at the very end.

I thought he was lame. He could have been such an interesting character and Insomnia and Black House had made me imagine such a powerful mind and such amazing skills it was no wonder I was so disappointed in the character.

Aaron Deepneau.

I did.

No.

Here are my answers. I hope they make sense to you

John F. Kennedy Malice is on a distinguished road Malice's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

It was my fav DT book, and I loved it all the way through. I'd say the end. Not because I was waiting for it so bad but because it was not what I had thought was coming at all. The last line floored me.

Joe Collins standup.

Eddies, he was my fav character. When he died I honeslty felt as though I'd lost a family member.

Yes, and after reading insomina I thought he would have a minor role in the end. But I like where King took it.

I was expecting Roland to be facing a battle akin to Jerhico Hill. The first I read the book I was furious. The second time through I grew to accept it and kind of dug it. Roland has been down that path many times, whos to say he never had a battle at the tower like...maybe the Crimson King knew where it was going but wanted to try an kill Roland just for fun.

John Cullum

Yes, it is the only one out of any of the books I can 100% agree with. Plus I only like the art work in the tower books by Whelan's. The ones in the Wastelands where pretty cool, but I'd like to think if they re-released the whole series with Whelan doing painting for every book...we'd be suprised.

That idiot made Roland about die from laughter and he rarely even smiled at Eddie's jokes. *Spoiler* And to think the guy killed a super computer with a dead baby joke!

Super Saiyan Mark is on a distinguished road Mark's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Roland reaching The Tower

Flagg's death

Jake's.

Hated it. He shouldn't have been included, or at least, died. Quickly.

I liked his small role. I wish Roland had bested him though.

Aaron Deepneau

I loved it

No, and I wish it had just been a house with that Robot there, no Patrick, No Joe.
    2:45 am- 11th February 2008- I Finished The Dark Tower

Gunslinger Apprentice velcro_fly is on a distinguished road velcro_fly's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

The showdown in the Dixie Pig.

The final battle against the Crimson King was so lame, almost like SK ran out of ideas and just gave up.

Jake. Roland tried so hard to save him, but in the end he lost him. Again.

No. It just felt wrong to me.

LAME!

John Cullum

Totally.

Not Really.
    “There are no men like me. There's only me”- The Kingslayer

Traveler horseshoe is on a distinguished road

journey through the train-station and the assault at the breakers.

Happy ending for Suze, Eddie, Jake, Oy in a boring world, and Suze b*tching around to leave Roland.
    Also Mordred being nothing but an obsolete gross daddy-complex baby.

Eddie's death was a joke. King screwed up again!
    Also of course Jakes death really sucked. SK did not deserve to be rescued for writing Bk 6+7.

I dont remember this name, sorry.

geez, what a boring finale. King screwed it.

None of them.

Sure, Whelan is the best!

No, he annoyed me right from the start.
    Also, he talked a bit disrespectful of George Carlin.
    Always trust your gut feeling! I'd have kept my hand near my gun with this guy around.

Gunslinger Apprentice Walkingman79 is on a distinguished road Walkingman79's Avatar

My Mood
    Mellow
    Country
    Country Flag

The moment Roland and Sheemie were reunited/finding out more details about Sheemie.

The entire exchange between Roland and the CK outside the tower I don't know it just doesn't sit well with me as the "constant reader".It felt cheap.

My buddy Eddie.Eddie and I could have a good time together.I can relate to him.

I loved him at first but he should have gone through that door with Susannah.

I don't have the energy to articulate how disappointed I was with the Crimson King in TDT.

John Cullum.He was a good guy.

He is a great artist and I am not but the picture I had in my head was better in my opinion.(I wish you see it)Stephen King paints some pretty good pictures in my imagination.

Not from a comedy standpoint but I realized what was happening in the scene pretty early in meeting Joe Collins so I really enjoyed that part of the book.It reminded me earily of a scene from IT way before the hints that are given.

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

It reminded me earily of a scene from IT way before the hints that are given.
    Without spoiling much of IT... was it the bit with Bevvie and the 'old lady'? That creeped me out. It was also one of the (to be fair many) scenes in the TV version that really worked.

Gunslinger Apprentice Delacroix is on a distinguished road Delacroix's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The whole part just before and after Le Casse Roi Russe. I pictured the town and the Castle very well, it was also the part where I liked Mordred the most.

Roland vs Mordred

Althought Jake is the character I was the most attached to, Eddie's death was described in a much better way. The awaiting part, Susannah, Roland and Jake being ready to say Eddie a last goodbye was really heartbreaking.

I like Patrick Danville a lot, but I think his role was too much of a Deus Ex Machina. It seems SK had the idea a bit late and decided to implement it in the story all the same. It seems weird. Plus it's a coward way to deal with the Crimson King, just erasing him from a paperboard.

"He's ridiculous". I pictured a much sacrier and much stronger creature... But maybe taht's just me

I didn't care much for those characters

Well, I guess you're not asking about the one where a tiny Roland is walking on the road toward a HUGE Dark Tower emerging from the clouds. I love this one.

I don't like the others, because they're "too much". I picture the Dark Tower as a very sober monument, I don't like all the turrets he added at the top of the Tower one one of his picture.
    On the image with Roland standing at the foot of the Tower, I think Whelan doesn't abide by the description of SK. The windows are too narrow, I don't like the abutments. I'm not a huge fan of the texture of the Tower either.

The whole idea was really nice, and I really really enjoyed how things got strange, little by little. At some point I felt real discomfort, which is great!
    It was quite refreshing, along with the monster under Castle Discordia. Finally some though guys on Roland's way! I'd just have liked it more if there hasn't been any SK intervention. Deus ex machina is everywhere already, no need to add more, even if this one is obviously stated...

I althought thought Mordred would show up...
    -What do we usually do about bad things that aren't of our concern?
    -Well...we laught about it.
    -Then, my friend, once you're in the grave death might be a lot more fun than what we expect.

Gunslinger Apprentice Delacroix is on a distinguished road Delacroix's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

EEEEEEE!!! Heh. I remember thinking to myself 'what a bumhug'. Then I burst out laughing. I realised thats exactly what Eddie and Jake would have said - and thats what the CK was all along. Just another bumhug.
    One of the thing that desapointed me about the DT, is that it's filled with humbugs... Why do Stephen King has such problems with climaxes?
    -What do we usually do about bad things that aren't of our concern?
    -Well...we laught about it.
    -Then, my friend, once you're in the grave death might be a lot more fun than what we expect.

Traveler johnnyonthespot1 is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

I enjoyed the Blue Heaven portion immensely, although my "favorite" moment was when Oy died. It was such a noble sacrifice to make, especially when he could have gone through the door with Susannah instead.

The confrontation with the Crimson King. I had heard offhand comments from acquaintances that the ending of the series was disappointing, but I just couldn't believe it was going to be this terrible.

Eddie's. It had the most foreshadowing, he was the first one to go, and it seemed to have the biggest emotional impact on the ka-tet. Oy's death was a close second.

A tongueless young man imprisoned in a basement? Creepy but cool.
    Erasing Susannah's sore? Strange but cool.
    Drawing the door for Susannah to leave? Totally cool.
    Erasing the Crimson King from existence? So not cool. He shows up in the last 100 pages or so of a 3000+ page epic and does away with the most evil creature in all existence with an eraser? The worst moment of the entire series for me. Ugh.

Complete and utter disappointment. I didn't like the sneetches when they showed up in Wolves of the Calla in the first place, and he went out like a complete and total wimp. It wasn't even really Roland who killed him. Lame.

We never learned much about him, but Moses Carver was an interesting character. The fact that he was still around and still dedicated to the cause when the other two were gone was cool, because he had never even met Roland.

The illustrations throughout the entire volume were amazing! I especially like the depiction of the infant Mordred strangling the rat at the beginning of part I.

There were a couple of lines in there that made me chuckle, but overall, not really a big fan.

Traveler kerzol is on a distinguished road kerzol's Avatar

My Mood
    Mellow
    Country
    Country Flag

i'm not going to be original here, the moment Roland shouts all the names, and Suze when she saw Eddie and Jake
    When Suze enters the door, and threw Roland's gun into the trashcan WTF?! I'm very sentimental and i would keep the gun just for the memories. And the fact (i'm not sure but in translation to Polish you could thinkt that Susannah completely forgets the whole journey after a while and that really depressed me.) I was so pissed about it i literally shouted and the book - "HOW COULD YOU?!"
    all the deaths hit me, but Oys death the least.. i knew he would die also after jake died.
    Well he kind of annoyed me, when he went to sleep imo Oys death is partialy his fault
    That's it?! a simple fu would sufice
    Def. Cullum
    dunno
    ha. ha.

Traveler NickP will become famous soon enough

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

When Roland was walking towards the Tower, shouting the names of all his friends who had died.

When the CK was killed off so easily.

Callahan and Eddie were tough, but for me it's a tie between Jake and Oy.

No. Interesting idea, but way too convenient. This was about the only problem I had with the book.

Just as nuts as they made him sound.

John Cullum. Not even close.

Yes.

It was decent.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2