Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: DT7 The Dark Tower Q and A

Banned obscurejude is on a distinguished road

Default DT7 The Dark Tower Q and A

Thanks Maerlyn for asking me to do this.

What was your favorite part of this book?

What was your least favorite part of this book?

Although you knew it was coming, which death was the most difficult for you?

Did you like Patrick Danville and his role in the tale?

What were your thoughts when we finally encountered the Crimson King?

Which of the Founding Fathers is your favorite, Moses Carver, John Cullum or Aaron Deepneau?

Did you like Whelan's visual of the Dark Tower? If not, then why?

Bing! Were you a fan of Joe Collins' stand up routine?

I feel like the epilogue and the ending have been exhausted elsewhere, so I hope these questions will do.

Oh yeah, and fuck Greta Shaw.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Callahan's Last Stand

the description of the cold. It is obviously borrowed, and totally unconvincing.

Eddie's.

Absolutely.

It was scarier than I had expected.

Which of the Founding Fathers is your favorite, Moses Carver, John Cullum or Aaron Deepneau?

Aaron, with John as close second.

Yes, a lot.

I don't think I have an answer to that

obscure: it's Aaron Deepneau, not Ed (Ed is in Insomnia); I fixed it in your post

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

The showdown at the Dixie Pig, including and especially Jake's stand in the kitchen.

Not sure I had one. I enjoyed the whole book.

Eddie's because it was the first.

Mostly.

I was fairly disappointed. While I understand that he was in a weakened state, I thought the "battle" between he and Roland was exceptionally anti-climatic and basically equated to Roland taking target practice. Weakened or not, I expected the final battle to be more than skeet shooting for sneetches.

Cullum. We know the most about what he did.

Absolutely. Sometimes I think Whelan sees the Tower more clearly than King does.

Not even a little. I hate hacky stand-up and Collins epitomized that.

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'll go with Jean on this I think, Calahan's confrontation with the vampires was great. I enjoyed catching up with Ted again though.

The part when Roland and Suze traveled through Empathica dragged a bit for me. (Part of me wants to include Walter's fate here, but actually it was well written and fearsome, I'd just rather it hadn't happened that soon and he's had a confrontation with Roland.)

On an emotional level, probably Eddie's, although Oy's was hard hitting too.

I have mixed feelings, but overall yes. I kinda wish the rest of Roland's ka-tet had had a bigger role in the destruction of the King though, rather than pulling this guy out of nowhere, but I liked the character, and his ability was interesting.

I wish he'd been more powerful or that we at least had an explanation as to why this creature who can kill with his mind, literally, was relying on sneetches. I've read plenty of theories and written some myself, but I think King should have made it clearer.

Can I like them all? They're all such different characters but great.
    If I have to pick one I'll go with Moses. From the little we saw of him he seemed a warm but amusing and quirky character.

The building itself or all the pictures? Overall yes, I think he did a great job on the artwork. I'm not keen on the brickwork Tower we saw at the end, although the picture is lovely. The depiction of the Tower with it's brickwork didn't gel with Tower's description, and it's organic nature.

Not really, although I did like the character. I wish he'd been used by Walter though, or had turned out to be Water himself in another guise. This looks like a great place for the dark man's last trap for Roland before his ultimate demise and would have had a certain symmetry rather than killing him off so early. In my version Walter would be left wounded by Roland and then he'd have to confront the starving Mordred. The scene with Mordred could then play out as it did, except for Walter being taken so easy being due to his weakened state.
    Last edited by Brainslinger; 08-22-2008 at 08:30 AM. Reason: A spelling mistake and rubbish phrasing.

Gunslinger Apprentice JQ The Gunslinger is on a distinguished road JQ The Gunslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I loved Sheemies dream, the way he describes it. Wow some amazing writing right there.

What was your least favorite part of this book?Roland and Suze in the cold got really old. Hah that rhymed.

Although you knew it was coming, which death was the most difficult for you?Eddie. Just couldnt believe all the jokes and humor were gone in one pistol shot.

Did you like Patrick Danville and his role in the tale?Yes but I wish he could of talked.

What were your thoughts when we finally encountered the Crimson King?I was expecting so much more. Hes been brought up to be these huge force in the books leading up to this point and hes takin out in only about 30 pages :/

Which of the Founding Fathers is your favorite, Moses Carver, John Cullum or Aaron Deepneau?John Cullum.

Not sure what Whelan is, must not remember taht part.

Bing! Were you a fan of Joe Collins' stand up routine?Nah hes not such a good jokester

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by JQ The Gunslinger View Post
    Whelan's visual of the Dark Tower? If not, then why?[/B]
    Not sure what Whelan is, must not remember taht part.
    JQ, Michael Whelan is the artist who did all the illustrations for DT-7 (as well as The Gunslinger).

Gunslinger Apprentice JQ The Gunslinger is on a distinguished road JQ The Gunslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Oh well i got the paperback novels for every DT book so i wasnt interested in the artwork.

Banned obscurejude is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    obscure: it's Aaron Deepneau, not Ed (Ed is in Insomnia); I fixed it in your post
    Thanks. even I make mistakes.

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

When Roland stood before the Tower crying out the names of the fallen. It was very powerful.

Flagg's death...pfft!

Jake's - no contest.

Yes, I like Patrick immensely. I wasn't too keen on the whole concept of his drawing and erasing stuff, because there was so much more he could have done...drawn himself a tongue for one! It seemed too convienient, too hurried as a plot device.

What were your thoughts when we finally encountered the Crimson King? Pretty disappointed. Again, as with Flagg - I know a valid argument can be made towards the writing reflecting the decline/folly of these characters - but so much of DT7 seemed so rushed to me, like King was working to a deadline and was tying up loose ends without too much thought.
    That said, I love this book - but it held as many disappointments as treats for me.

Not sure, either Deepneau or Cullum - I didn't know Pop Mose well enough.

Yes! My favourite DT artist.

Yes, it really confused me at first - very well done I thought.

Oh yeah, and fuck Greta Shaw
    And her mother too!

Kingslayer John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

i am loving this thread, and everyone's answers are great. It's amazing to see how our opinions differ.

Susan going thru her door.

Oy's death

Oy's. He died in a truly noble fashion, and I salute him.

It was ok.

"what a puss"

John, with Moses a close second.

Yes.

Nah, most of the jokes were corny.
    "So many vows. They make you swear and swear. Defend the King, obey the King, obey your father, protect the innocent, defend the weak. But what if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another."

Gunslinger Apprentice Tony_A is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Dixie Pig

THat it had to end

Eddie's. I felt pain at all the deaths, but at least Jake and Oy died protecting Roland. Oy's was probably the most touching for me, although I did feel some pain for Roland that Jake died while he was dealing with King and Smith.

Not really.

How did he keep control this long to go out like this?

Cullum

Yep.

Not at all. It didn't strike me funny.

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

This book is so close to me that I can't answet the questions yet. Whenever I come in I realise I am not ready.
    Sooner or later I will.

Roland would have understood.

The White! MonteGss is on a distinguished road MonteGss's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The absolute excitement I felt as I opened it up and read it for the first time! Having the tet reunited together early on in the novel was also excellent.

Hmmm, not sure. I liked this one a lot. Flagg got what he deserved so I didn't cry over that scene.

Eddie's because it happened first. That was the first big cry and though I cried for the others...Eddie's hurt me most.

Yeah, Patrick as The Artist was pretty cool.

"Kill him! Kill him!"

I like Cullum best. He just seemed to fit in with Roland and Eddie so well and I liked him immediately.

Fuck yeah!

Yeah, it was alright. It wasn't like a high point of the novel or anything but it was entertaining.

Oh yeah, and fuck Greta Shaw.

You people...

Hannibal CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I enjoyed much of the Blue Heaven section with seeing familar faces such as Dinky and Ted, as well as interesting new characters such as Finli and Pimli. It was at this point more than anything else in the book that I really felt that King was at the top of his game.

That's hard. Flagg's death, obviously. The worst thing in the book, and in the entire series. At that point my belief that King was infallible came to a screeching halt. God, I could go on for days about how shitty that was.

Jake's, by far. I was a mess.

Not particularly. I wasn't crazy how Insomnia's continuity was intentionally jettisoned by the author, and I thought his role in erasing the Crimson King was a deus ex machina. Just because King admitted it doesn't make it any better in my eyes.

The first time I read it I was like "This is it?" and I found the "EEEEE!"s to be ridicilous. The second time I read it I enjoyed it a little more but mainly because I blocked out all other incarnations of the Crimson King from my head.

John Cullum.

Yes, I did.

It was alright.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

The White! MonteGss is on a distinguished road MonteGss's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by CyberGhostface View Post

That's hard. Flagg's death, obviously. The worst thing in the book, and in the entire series.

I never would have guessed that Cyber.

Gunslinger Apprentice theyspunaweb is on a distinguished road theyspunaweb's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Probably Oy. He was just so loyal the whole time.
    And the fact that SK brought everyone (excluding Roland) back together in another When and world somewhere. I guess they all probably got brought back together eventually when the quest was started again however.

Libbo or whatever that damn horses name was! It sounded really gross, I could imagine it the whole time, even though it never posed a real threat to the our main characters I didn't like the sound of it at all. And I hated Mia.

I think Eddie's and Jake's were a tie even though I feel like I cared more for Jake's character.

I did. I didn't think I would because of the foreshadowing. I thought I wouldn't like him at all - since he put Roland trapped on top of the tower with the Crimson King. But that's not Patrick's fault...it's Roland's fault that he's trapped searching for the tower. Patrick's role was short but he was nice. He did seem sort of like an easy way out for Roland though, to get up to the top of the tower and defeat the Crimson King, and we don't even know how he came to be in the basement of Joe Collin's house.

Lame. Like a little Toad. Sure he went "crazy" but his role lasted....7 pages? and all he did was scream EEEEEEEEE! I need to read more S.K. books to get a better idea about this guy though.

Cullum.

Yeah, sure helped my visions. I know we all have our own ideas, but I guess what I mean to say is, I liked his better than what I was picturing.

No! ug so lame. Can't believe Roland was laughing even if it was some kind of a magic vampire thing. - you're a gunslinger!

John F. Kennedy sinstar is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Hmm. Although in some ways I HATED it, the ending was amazing.

I didn't like the whole white lands crap. too long.

Eddie's without a doubt. I KNEW it had to be Eddie ( i thought he would be the only death ) , because he was the odd one out. Susannah was a woman, Jake was a child, Oy was an animal, and Roland was a man. I had no doubt that Roland would live, so I knew that Eddie would probably die. I LOVED Eddie.

But Oy also made me tear up. I thought afterwards that perhaps Roland would rule the tower with Oy at his side, and when Susannah asked Oy to come with her and Oy said "Olan", I actually believed he would stay till the end.

LOVED it. Didn't see it coming at all.

I thought he was perfect, almost too insane maybe though.

Cullum. He reminded me of a character in The Stand. Can't remember which though.

Amazing.

Not at all

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by sinstar
    Cullum. He reminded me of a character in The Stand. Can't remember which though.
    An older 'yankier' (I've invented a new word, hee hee.) Stu maybe? (I think his name was Stu, anyway. I tend to be forgettful of names, although not in the DT cycle.

Stand Spoilers-
    Spoiler:
    The everyman type who was one of the people who encountered the first victim of the superflu... and surprised (that's strange when you think about it isn't it? Didn't occur to me so much at the time.) Frannie's lad. (That sounds funny.)

John F. Kennedy sinstar is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Yeaah Stu a little bit. There was one other though. Maybe Ralph.

Traveler RiseofDespair is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

I really don't know

Probably each death...

Jake, because people have survived being hit by cars before, why couldn't he?

I think it was interesting, and he reminded me of Sheemie in a way

Nuttier than a nutcase

Aaron seems more like me...

It was pretty good... any visual is nice to me, I don't have the best imagination...

Some of it made me smile...

The White Guy Chap is on a distinguished road Chap's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Probably the one page where Roland opens his own door.

Flaggs death... talk about anti-climax

Jakes
    no, Eddies!
    No Oy!
    Agh, I can't decide

Yes

speaking of anti-climax...

Cullum

Not sure I have that in my book

Not the jokes, but this part of the book was very well written.

to summarize: King is a master storyteller, but he could have found better ways to destroy the two main villains.
    Never always bring a knife eraser to a gunfight.
    Some are born to sweet delight,

some are born to the endless night.

John F. Kennedy K.J.J. is on a distinguished road K.J.J.'s Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

It would have to be the end of the "Crimson King" Chapter where Roland is walking towards the Tower at Sundown screaming the names of his fallen and forgotten comrades as he does so. It had be in tears of excitement. That one moment of finally reaching the tower and the thrill of it was worth reading the entire series, no matter what the ramifications of reaching the top level were. We were warned the real ending wouldn't be happy weren't we? But like the humans we are, we had to read on and find out the truth.

The part where Oy died. I was pouring my eyes in in tears. It was the saddest moment of the entire series for me. But it seemed right in another way to. He saved "Olan."

HOWEVER now that I think about it Flagg's death. He wasn't mean to die at the hands of Mordred! He was meant to climb the Tower! That's all he wanted...I was very upset, but I have accepted the fact that the man got was he deserved, but still. It runs in second

As I mentioned, the Billy-Bumbler Oy

It was a very interesting one at that, and I thought it was a great conclusion, however I'm a bit upset it wasn't Roland's Guns that ended the Crimson King's life, therefore having no final battle.

Wow! What a build up, and I wasn't disappointed, he was truly an evil character worthy of my respect. Not so much as Randall Flagg, but close to it. I could see the man standing there who caused so much destruction to the Universe/s, and he got what was coming to him!

Deepneau, definatly. Why? I don't know, he was just the most sensible one in my eyes, and gave Tower/Tower a good thrashing with words.

He is gotta be the best damn artist I have ever see. His artworks were absolutely brilliant, and they make Book I and VII have so much more depth.

Ahaha, that had me in tears, it was great! He would have killed me laughing, evil, evil clown!

Gunslinger Apprentice Django is on a distinguished road Django's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The coda.

Probably the Crimson King.

Surprisingly, Jake's.

No.

Father Christmas gets the Duma Key eraser routine? Crap.

Cullum.

I did.

That guy stole all that shit.

shrewd and knavish sprite flaggwalkstheline will become famous soon enough flaggwalkstheline's Avatar

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

Ted Brautigan and everything having to do with him

flaggs death

flagg

yes but I want to know what happened in between insomnia and dt7 with him
    figures a douchebag like him wouldnt be as powerful as he likes to pretend

deepneau

YES!

hell yeah, he was funny
    if the worlds gonna end then let's get it over with, i got shit to do

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

the part at devar toi, when they all have the feeling that its all ending, where they are sat around the fire in the cave (i've forgotten the phrase used - cry pardon)

All of these HUGE villians from all of the Dt series and also other linked books such as the stand and insomnia turning out to be really weak flimsy characters. it hurt me as a constant reader to have all that i read in the past turned out to be lies

although i did not know it was coming it would be Jake's - more for Oys reaction then anything else. although all the deaths of the ka tet surprised me.

yes and No. i liked the character and the fact it moved on from insomnia. BUT.... i felt that Roland should have reached the tower alone, not with patrick who had only come into the story, 100 pages or so ago.

what a load of rubbish, a fat man in a red cloak - off his rocker throwin sneetches. most disappointing because of the build up in all the other books. it felt rushed and as though king did not know where to go with him, would have prefered less of the white cold place and more time devoted to the battle with the Crimson King

Cullum, followed by carver

I did.

no, understood that we needed him but cant say i liked that part of the book.[/QUOTE]

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast