Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 304 of 1298 FirstFirst ... 204 254 294 302 303 304 305 306 314 354 404 804 ... LastLast
Results 7,576 to 7,600 of 32427

Thread: Your New Pride and Joy!

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I think that book was a case of Constant Readers collectivelly jumping the gun (myself included). Here's a new, unknown author with a book backed by a ridicilous hype machine. How many of us would be truly interested in a book if it wasn't backed by SK and CD? They sold the entire printing in a day or. How many established authors on CD could do the same? I'm sure Stephen King could. Anyone else?

For the record, I haven't read the book yet but I'm sure I'll like it.

Gunslinger Apprentice Lenny is on a distinguished road Lenny's Avatar

Don't know but these padded walls are NICE.
    My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post

I thought THE PASSAGE was just OK. It was a great read but I can't see myself ever reading it again. I'm actually wondering if I'm going to keep all these proofs, ARCs, signed copies, etc.
    Well I love this book
    If you do decide to sell your proofs please let me know. I have a couple of ARCs and signed copies already.
    Need first editions of:
    1.Carrie
    2.Salem's Lot
    3.The Shining
    4.Night Shift
    5.THE PASSAGE uncorrected proof

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post

For the record, I haven't read the book yet but I'm sure I'll like it.
    I'm sure you will like it. I liked it quite a bit, heartily recommended it to my wife and she also liked it. Some parts, I thought, were brilliant. But after a couple of weeks when I reflect back on the book do I think it was as good as the hype machine made it out to be? For me, no. And the ending wasn't to my liking either.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I rated The Passage as a B or B+. I hate to judge the first third of a trilogy, however. Too much depends on the consequent volumes. I was also turned off by the amount of hype. I avoided getting any of the proofs, etc. I did get a discounted signed first, though.

As I said elsewhere, I just hope I'm still around when part three is published. I'm not getting any younger here.

John

Gunslinger Apprentice Cloysterpete is on a distinguished road Cloysterpete's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I have a UK trade of The Passage, though I won't bother reading it till the other two come out.

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post

As I said elsewhere, I just hope I'm still around when part three is published. I'm not getting any younger here.
    I suspect I will still be around when part three is published. But I give myself only a 50-50 chance on making it until the Cemetery Dance limited edition of part three is published.

Citizen of Gilead shnnrc01 is on a distinguished road

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

youre a funny guy bob!

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by Calla_Wolf View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lophophoras View Post
    I thought Stinger was okay. That was the first McCammon book that I ever read. After reading it I went on a binge reading all of his stuff. I loved Swan Song.
    With all respect to McCammon, Swan Song was a pale shadow of the Stand. And, as much as I love Steve King, The Stand is now (IMO) a poor relation of Cronin's "The Passage"

Pleeeeeease don' hate me folks
    I disagree vehemently and angrily! haha...

Seriously, though, I just finished the Passage today and had read the original 1978 Stand not too long ago.

The Stand -1978- is tight, concise, on point, with specific characters that are easy to follow while being equally compelling with motivations a reader can grasp and understand.

Passage - good entertainment, ambitious though derivative, takes a few new spins but reads a little like what it is - fiction from an MFA graduate who's been through one too many workshops. The characters jumble together and the narrative needed some aggressive editing. And Auntie and Lacey are two stereotyped black characters almost to the point of parody. There were PAGES that I skimmed over because I was bored and confused, and I never did that with the original Stand. Plenty of good parts, though, and Cronin does capture the whole epic scope pretty well.

I liked it, but IMO it was still pop entertainment and not much more. It's been a long time since I read Swan Song, which I remember as being very Stand-ish, and I might read it again to see how it measures up.

Now...The Stand - 1990? Overwritten and ego-driven. SK probably inspired George Lucas to re-edit Star Wars - and I don't mean that in a good way!

But, I'm glad to have a signed 1/1 edition of the Passage, and glad I at least know what all the fuss is about!

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Pamphlet from Cronin signing:

UK signed

Signed in Berkeley yesterday:

Whelan doodle:

Firestarter S/L extra dj's:

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

Good signatures! Very clear!

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Very nice, Jerome.

I love the "no bad dreams" personalization!

Congrats.
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by turtlex View Post
    Very nice, Jerome.

I love the "no bad dreams" personalization!

Congrats.
    Thanks.
    It was interesting. I was first in line for him to sign and I overhead him say to the bookstore person and his publisher handler 'no lines unless it's personalized'. I asked what he meant and he said that he would not inscribe any lines from the book unless the inscription was personalized. He went on to say that book buyers in the Uk had requested some exorbitant amount of books with a line from the book, and then flatsigned.
    I don't see why he would care-every book sold makes him money, and the resell only helps future sales, but alas, he's the millionaire and I'm just a guy buying a book.

Servant of Gan Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57's Avatar

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

Mine was signed "To Mike" Dated and "ALL EYES!"-(a part from he book).
    I read it and liked it. Hope parts 2 and 3 are good also.....

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Very nice! Congratulations!!!
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny View Post

I thought THE PASSAGE was just OK. It was a great read but I can't see myself ever reading it again. I'm actually wondering if I'm going to keep all these proofs, ARCs, signed copies, etc.
    Well I love this book
    If you do decide to sell your proofs please let me know. I have a couple of ARCs and signed copies already.

Am leaning towards doing this...
    Thanks to Jerome, he got my US and UK ARC copies of The Passage signed. And my UK buddy Tom got me a signed UK 1st.
    So, I will have a package here of 1st editions US and UK signed AND US and UK Arcs signed. I think that's a cool package...it may be for sale.

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.
    Luke : Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand

Gunslinger Apprentice Calla_Wolf is on a distinguished road Calla_Wolf's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed

Quote Originally Posted by wizardsrainbow View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenny View Post

Well I love this book

Am leaning towards doing this...
    Thanks to Jerome, he got my US and UK ARC copies of The Passage signed. And my UK buddy Tom got me a signed UK 1st.
    So, I will have a package here of 1st editions US and UK signed AND US and UK Arcs signed. I think that's a cool package...it may be for sale.

OVER HERE BABY
    Calla Wolf

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I can't thank Jerome enough for this:

Wanted list:
    Ubris

My Mood
    Gay

Oh! That is super cool !

Congrats, Ari and very nice of you Jerome!

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm telling you...the support that people on this site give each other is OUTSTANDING!!!! Thanks Jerome!!!

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.
    Luke : Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

My newest acquisitions:

Desperation manuscript proof v1:

Desperation manuscript proof v2:

These are different than the ones carlosdetweiller posted in the Stephen King Proofs thread in post #475--his have printing on the covers and spine, mine do not. I'll be updating the listing in the first post of that thread to reflect this.

The Regulators manuscript proof:

Thanks to David for these!

John

My Mood
    Gay

Very nice, John!

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Not sure why, but the first two pictures appear as white.

Servant of Gan e_taylor will become famous soon enough e_taylor's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Not sure why, but the first two pictures appear as white.

Because there is nothing on the covers.

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Exactly!! The ones pictured in Bob Jackson's post back in August 2008 have printing on the covers. Mine don't. I'd say it's a different state. According to Barry R. Levin's Biblio Notes there were only about 12 copies each of Desperation and The Regulators manuscript proofs done. He makes no mention of different states of Desperation.

John

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Duh.
    <-------------

+ Reply to Thread
Page 304 of 1298 FirstFirst ... 204 254 294 302 303 304 305 306 314 354 404 804 ... LastLast