Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1209 of 1297 FirstFirst ... 209 709 1109 1159 1199 1207 1208 1209 1210 1211 1219 1259 ... LastLast
Results 30,201 to 30,225 of 32416

Thread: Your New Pride and Joy!

Gunslinger Apprentice sullichin will become famous soon enough sullichin will become famous soon enough sullichin's Avatar

Oh my god, my The Stand S/L is here! This is my first BIG purchase

A couple pictures:

https://imgur.com/a/UQ2tRY0

I was extremely nervous removing the glassine wrapper and putting it back on, but I absolutely had to look at the cover and back in person. It's just beautiful! The book is in amazing condition. The box looks great but has a couple of minor small indentations on the front, I can deal

Now, I'll take any and all advice on storing/displaying/caring for such an item.. for now I've put it back in its shipping box in a drawer. That's not where I want it to be!

Honky Mahfah MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Cool

Quote Originally Posted by sullichin View Post

A couple pictures:

I was extremely nervous removing the glassine wrapper and putting it back on, but I absolutely had to look at the cover and back in person. It's just beautiful! The book is in amazing condition. The box looks great but has a couple of minor small indentations on the front, I can deal

Now, I'll take any and all advice on storing/displaying/caring for such an item.. for now I've put it back in its shipping box in a drawer. That's not where I want it to be!
    I know right? I felt the same way when I got mine. It's an incredible book. Congrats on getting one.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

If you have the room, store the book and the case on an easel. I'll post pics in a bit of mine.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Mine is still 9n its original box. I used to take it out (VERY) carefully occasionally just to admire it.

John

Manni Folken The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

A couple pictures:

Congratulations. Enjoy it

Gunslinger Apprentice sullichin will become famous soon enough sullichin will become famous soon enough sullichin's Avatar

RF That would be great, I was looking for some on amazon but don't think I found any big enough

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

You are best off having a plastic shop make one for you. Here is one of mine. Note: for the base where the book rests, I would recommend it be 4" deep, not the 3.25" pictured. You also need a piece of plastic (for the book, not the wood case) to support the page block and prevent sagging. Measure between the boards on your book for the correct size.

Maerlyn's Imp HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

A couple pictures:

Thats awesome! The big kahuna. Yeah, best bet is to have a stand custom made(like RFs)..ive also seen wood ones that look cool.
    Load up the Spaceship with the Rocket Fuel

Wow, dimensions and all, thanks so much. That looks great

Thanks everyone!

Demon of the Prim lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Here's a site where I've ordered many stands: https://www.displaystands4you.com/

I'm not sure if they make custom stands, but I've found that almost everything I want to display can be done with one of two styles, depending on the thickness of the page block:

cs12 Large Textbook Easel (books up to 2.6" thick) and cs5 Wide Book Holder w/o Lip (books up to 1.4" thick).

I've also had some worries about the 90-degree bend being slightly curved, and not perfectly straight, so to prevent spine cocking from the back board being ever-so-slightly-higher than the front board, I've affixed some felt pads to the area where the back of the book touches the stand. This keeps the bottom of the boards both touching the acrylic. (I admit, this may be a manufactured worry. I've also accepted the fact that my books bring me the most joy when I can see them regularly, and if displaying some of them causes minor issues over the long run, it's worth it to me. Obviously I still try very hard to stop any issues from occurring at all!)

One thing I have not tried, and should, is using a plastic block to hold the page block in place, as recommended by RF. Granted, I haven't tried displaying any Stand-sized books (anything thicker than ~2.5"), but I'm definitely going to look into this...

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by lotuz View Post

One thing I have not tried, and should, is using a plastic block to hold the page block in place, as recommended by RF. Granted, I haven't tried displaying any Stand-sized books (anything thicker than ~2.5"), but I'm definitely going to look into this...
    We've had discussions about this before. The problem being that there is no set size for a page block spacer. They must be custom made.

It's something that you can make for yourself if you own a decent saw/router and sander and are at all handy. They sell various thickness sheets at home stores. Just choose the right thickness and cut it to the right size. Polish the edge to avoid damaging your books.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Wood is also an option, and usually available cheaper. As mentioned, as long as it's sized correctly, and is smooth on all edges and ends, you will be fine.

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Wood is acidic. Be careful which species of wood you use. Maple or poplar are good choices. They are still mildly acidic though.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Goldmember Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Br!an View Post
    Wood is acidic. Be careful which species of wood you use. Maple or poplar are good choices. They are still mildly acidic though.
    Correct. I cut a strip of Glassine archive paper the width and length of the bottom of the book. The Glassine creates a barrier between book and block.

Mulleins
    I'm the caretaker of Room 217..............I've always been the caretaker of Room 217

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I dont really know where to put this, so... here

I recieved yesterday my CREEPSHOW #0, the comic books inspired by the upcoming tv series, and a few things caught my eyes

To me, this cover looks like "the survivor type", that was originally supposed to be part of the series

and the other covers suggests that the next comics will adapt the tv series... so there should be one, at some point, adapting "Grey Matter"!

Finally, a 14 years old Stephen from Bangor Maine, wrote a letter to the editor.
    I wonder if he really contributed it, or... not

------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
    ------------------------------------------------

Guardian of the Beam peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Room 217 Caretaker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Br!an View Post
    Correct. I cut a strip of Glassine archive paper the width and length of the bottom of the book. The Glassine creates a barrier between book and block.

Mulleins
    I have a treated walnut stand for it, would you know whether that's OK, in terms of acidity? (I also have pieces of felt which the book rests on, rather than directly on the wood).

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for posting the Creepshow comic, Jeremy. Didn't realize these were out there.
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Here's a site where I've ordered many stands: https://www.displaystands4you.com/

I'm not sure if they make custom stands, but I've found that almost everything I want to display can be done with one of two styles, depending on the thickness of the page block:

cs12 Large Textbook Easel (books up to 2.6" thick) and cs5 Wide Book Holder w/o Lip (books up to 1.4" thick).

I've also had some worries about the 90-degree bend being slightly curved, and not perfectly straight, so to prevent spine cocking from the back board being ever-so-slightly-higher than the front board, I've affixed some felt pads to the area where the back of the book touches the stand. This keeps the bottom of the boards both touching the acrylic. (I admit, this may be a manufactured worry. I've also accepted the fact that my books bring me the most joy when I can see them regularly, and if displaying some of them causes minor issues over the long run, it's worth it to me. Obviously I still try very hard to stop any issues from occurring at all!)

Thanks, I'm thinking about trying the biggest one they have (pictured with a phone book), maybe 2 of them connected, and if that's not good enough looking into a custom option. I really don't have much space to work with and I have to get a bookcase anyway.

I'm thinking the answer might be yes, but is it a stupid idea to display this book standing on its own upright?

peripheral do you have a picture of your stand for your Stand?

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Do not stand the book on its own. There is too much risk of the book falling over, let alone the constant pressure on the bottom of the boards. Same with the case. It can be stood upright, but there is a strong likelihood the lid will fall off.

Thanks then I won't dare! And yeah I DEFINITELY don't want to put the case upright, the lid will absolutely come off

Gunslinger Apprentice BadHatHarry has a spectacular aura about BadHatHarry has a spectacular aura about

What felt do you use? Strips of felt, or the sticky backed felt squares / circles?

Also, sorry for the dumb question, but what's a page block?

I keep some books on an open top shelf in my office, laying flat, but I really like the idea of the stand.

Honky Mahfah MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Cool

I guess I have been lucky with my Stand S\L. I have it standing upright and the cover still stays on the box. But it would be cool to show off the book itself. It's such a great looking book.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by BadHatHarry View Post

Gunslinger Apprentice BadHatHarry has a spectacular aura about BadHatHarry has a spectacular aura about

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post

I guess my question is more what's a block to hold the page block in place? Is it simply something that slides in under the pages to keep them from sliding down?

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I guess my question is more what's a block to hold the page block in place? Is it simply something that slides in under the pages to keep them from sliding down?

Yes

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1209 of 1297 FirstFirst ... 209 709 1109 1159 1199 1207 1208 1209 1210 1211 1219 1259 ... LastLast