+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official End Thread

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

ITA with the whole Randall Flagg thing - he got his in a most humbling way.

Very fitting.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Sleep Controller ZoNeSeeK is on a distinguished road ZoNeSeeK's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

ITA?
    "You can lead a whore to culture but you can't make her think." - Duma Key
    zoneseek@thedarktower.com

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I totally agree

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Default What did you feel when you read the last line of the book?

What did you feel when you read the last line of the book?
    What did you feel when this long and amazing journey finished forever?
    What did you feel as you were sitting there with the closed book in your hand?

Sadness? Happiness? Joy? Lost? Emptiness?

I am interested in your feelings and emotions.
    Let's try to avoid the spoilers. Of course if you would like to write down the reasons - I can imaigne that we will have lots of questions here to each other - that's all right but please mark the spoilers very hard.

Thank you.

Roland would have understood.

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I felt the way I feel when I finish any book where I've; related to or bonded with the characters, felt a part of the story and had my imagination kidnapped by the creations of someone elses mind...I felt empty and a little numb. And also like I didn't want to read anything else for a while because I wanted to more time to dwell with the ka-tet in my mind.

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Elation, sadness, wonder..some more sadness and wonder. It didn't just blow my mind, it blew my soul.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    What did you feel when you read the last line of the book?
    What did you feel when this long and amazing journey finished forever?
    What did you feel as you were sitting there with the closed book in your hand?
    I wasn't sitting.

I was jumping about. Shouting something inarticulate.

There was a moment when I suddently understood everything about the universe, man and God.

It slipped away, of course, like a dream, leaving just the residue - that which I've been trying to put in words for those years at both sites - but the truth contained in Mr.King's powerful vision is always there.

Emotionally, it was elation - ecstasy, to be precise. Remember, unlike Matt I am very optimistic about the end and the future of all those concerned.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    I was jumping about. Shouting something inarticulate.
    This was right before the men in white coats and thorazine in their needles came and helped Jean to a place where he is now making baskets and going over his issues..
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I was physically and emotionally drained for a few days. It was was a milestone kind of like this wedding.

Then end of one chapter and the beginning of another and the funny part is that I have "enhanced" my fan mania more since it ended
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I was physically and emotionally drained for a few days. It was was a milestone
    Exactly the same here.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

It didn't just blow my mind, it blew my soul.
    That is exactly how I felt.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

To be honest, I was furious when I first read the ending...I needed closure damnit! Although I still have a few bones to pick, I ultimately accepted it as the 'right' ending.

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Daghain View Post
    It didn't just blow my mind, it blew my soul.
    That is exactly how I felt.
    *hugs Ann and Matthew because she feels she needs to hug them somehow*

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

And what am I, invisible? Don't I at least get a swift kick to the temple?

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    And what am I, invisible? Don't I at least get a swift kick to the temple?
    I would never ever be able to kick you. Just hug stroke and kiss you. I hope you don't mind.

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Gimme some lovin!!!

Country
    Country Flag

Darkthoughts.. *hugskisses*
    Anyway I wanted to write that I often feel the same way as you have written down above. When I finish a book I feel empty (and full at the same time somehow) and I can't read another book for awhile.
    I need time.
    Sometimes lots.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Its sad and joyful at the same time isn't it.

Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    *hugs Ann and Matthew because she feels she needs to hug them somehow*
    *phew!!* Thankfully its not a huggle...but I love hugs!

Demon of the Prim Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by MonteGss View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gguthrie View Post
    I think the Mordred fight should have been tougher, and then it would have been a more plausible end for Flagg.
    But if we look at Flagg history and his character as described in all related books, we'll see that he never fights. He is just not a fighter. He is a plotter and schemer, but face to face with an enemy he either disappears in a cloud of smoke or else, if he doesn't have the time to, he is bound to lose.
    Agree completely Jean. Flagg/Walter was a great character but I never, ever saw him as some uber-baddie that would be able to fight it out with Roland.
    True, I'll agree here. But Flagg is always brought up as a bad ass. In The Stand you were scared of him. So that residue of fear makes you think of him as the ultimate bad guy, and you think he can kick some butt. Even though he always falters or flees at the end of a story (or outcome), you don't think of him in that light. At least I didn't.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I agree.

It didn't have to be Roland that faced him down and it was fitting that he was killed by his own side but...meh...y'know? I guess SK was sort of showing that evil doesn't pay and that someone who considered himself so important came to an unimportant and unglorious end...but it seemed rushed to me.

I don't think King was trying to show "evil" doesn't pay. More that Walter had gotten old, and way too sure of himself.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, thats pretty much what I'm trying to say - that power (of the red) corrupts in a way that is often detrimental to the weilder...I know what I'm talking about anyway

Sleep Controller ZoNeSeeK is on a distinguished road ZoNeSeeK's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Here's an excerpt from The Road to the Dark Tower regarding Flagg's death:

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent

Readers may be disappointed at the unspectacular demise of this legendary villain who outwitted great minds for centuries without ever truly achieving any of his goals. He failed in Delain, in Las Vegas and in Mid-World. Roland isn't present when this ancient deceiver who bedeviled him all his life finally pays for his prodigious list of sins. Still, perhaps it is fitting that Walter, like Dr. Frankenstein, dies at the hands of a creature he was innstrumental in creating: Roland's ill-begotten offspring. Walter's death also disproves his own prophecy that Roland would have to slay the Ageless Stranger to gain the Tower. Perhaps this is a harbinger that Roland's quest to defeat the endless loop of his existence won't succeed this time.
    "You can lead a whore to culture but you can't make her think." - Duma Key
    zoneseek@thedarktower.com

Along the Path of the Beam Valkyrie is on a distinguished road Valkyrie's Avatar

Spoilers apply

I felt drained when I finished. I was shocked and overwhelmed at the ending. I was a little pissed off at the ending initially. I didn't think Roland deserved it. I remember feeling a deep sense of satisfaction and gladness that I had found the series. I felt like an honorary member of the ka-tet, if that makes any sense. Roland and the ka-tet are "real" to me, even though I realize its a work of fiction. They will be with me forever. I can't see the number 19 and not think of them. There are always things that jog my memory about them. My husband and I use phrases from the book all the time when we talk to each other.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast