32 11.76%
  • 2 - not satisfied, although there are things I liked about the ending

25 9.19%
  • 1 - completely dissatisfied

8 2.94%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official End Thread

Architect Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic

I'm torn about the ending. My heart literally ached for Roland when I realized he had to do everything over again. But, the fact that he had already done so X number of times explains so much about his personality. On the other hand, I felt like everything was a big cheat. Baradin summed it up pretty well for me. The ending was rushed and contrived in many places.
    People love frozen yogurt. I don't know what to tell you.

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

"It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I loved the ending. It makes perfect sense if you believe Ka is a wheel.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Baradin - I agree entirely about Flagg and the Crimson King! Flagg moreso because as fans we've been so involved with him in so many stories, it was just too sudden and too simplistic and not righteous enough...thus proving I wouldn't have been satisfied with anything

Demon of the Prim Ruki is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

i think the ending was perfect, i loved it. i can't imagine how there could be a more satisfying conclusion to the series.

Gunslinger Apprentice Baradin is on a distinguished road Baradin's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Darkthoughts View Post
    Baradin - I agree entirely about Flagg and the Crimson King! Flagg moreso because as fans we've been so involved with him in so many stories, it was just too sudden and too simplistic and not righteous enough...thus proving I wouldn't have been satisfied with anything
    You know you may be onto something there. (with Flagg at least). I have a vision of how *I* would have ended the DT series, but with Flagg, I don't think any ending really befitted a creature of his "Darth Vader" status, not even a conversion to Roland's side would have been appropriate IMO.
    "And within it, a stairway, perhaps rising to the Godhead itself. Would you dare climb to the top, gunslinger? Could it be that somewhere above all of endless reality, there exists a room?...

You dare not."

Mi him en tow
    Mi tow can de lach.

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

You took the words out of my mouth, so i'll just nod enthusiastically in agreement ...Oops, spilled my beer...

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I think if Roland would have drawn on him like Doc Holiday did Huckleberry at the end of Tombstone--I would have been satisfied.

Just blew his fucking head off.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

My Mood
    Cool

LOL, The ole Marty McFly Vs Bufford Tannen eh? Yeah I coulda grooved to that. At the very least it would have been the Biggest Baddest Badass Good guy taking down the Biggest Baddest Badass Badguy.
    "And within it, a stairway, perhaps rising to the Godhead itself. Would you dare climb to the top, gunslinger? Could it be that somewhere above all of endless reality, there exists a room?...

You dare not."

Mi him en tow
    Mi tow can de lach.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm with everyone on the Roland-should-of-blasted-Flagg compaign. I felt it would of been divine justice for Roland to be the one to dispatch him after all the trouble he caused him.

Gunslinger Apprentice VolsToTheWall is on a distinguished road VolsToTheWall's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I was satisfied with the ending. Like others have said, I have grown to appreciate it more as time has passed. I think the biggest problem I had when I first read the ending was simply that it had ended. All those years of waiting for the next book were finally coming to an end, 'twas sad. I also had an issue with Flagg's demise, I was looking forward to something much more than that, but I quickly got over it. I can appreciate the irony in it. I also thought that Eddie, Susie, and Jake's ending was served up with a side dish of cheese, but I was expecting something like that for them. I guess I was torn on that, I loved the characters, and wanted them to have a happy conclusion to their journey, but at the same time, I like it when there's not always a happy ending, even for characters I am rooting for. Overall, I'll just say that I was happy with the ending, but also say there were a few minor points that I had an issue with, and that those have faded as time has gone on. I have moved on. Roland would understand.

The White! MonteGss is on a distinguished road MonteGss's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I am glad to see that Completely Satisfied is currently in the lead.
    Great series, great ending. I have no complaints.

John F. Kennedy pol is on a distinguished road pol's Avatar

I would have to agree with a lot of you guys....I was Ok with the ending but parts of how we got there really let me down...

The whole bit with Randall Flagg. I had been reading about this character for about 16 or 17 years, under many guises, and he was one of, if not my favorite, character...can you say Richard Fannin. I always took him as "the ageless stranger", one of the guardians of the Tower that Roland would have to face if he made it to the top....and this timeless character gets his ticket from a spider boy just introduced a few hundred pages earlier!! The same character that Roland and Oy dispose of with such ease later down the line. When I read this, and I still remember where I was sitting, I was floored and unable to read the book for the rest of the day. To me this felt rushed, it felt as if King just came up with something, and took us away from where he had been leading us for many years.

I have read a thread before that suggested that the ways we had seen Flagg in the past, meaning all the other books outside DT I-VII, was under the spell of his glamour, as he appeared in "fictional" books...meaning he made himself appear to be a badass when he really wasn't. However when we see him in DT VII we see him as he really is, which is just a pretty ordinary guy who used magic to make himself appear more intense than he actually was...kind of how the Wizard of Oz hides behind the curtain and appears more than he actually is.

I thought this explanation was kind of cool, however it still did not take the edge off of my let down.
    Last edited by Jean; 05-29-2007 at 07:06 AM. Reason: Removed unnecessarily marked spoiler (see Spoiler Requirement for this forum)

Peaches Telynn will become famous soon enough Telynn will become famous soon enough Telynn's Avatar

When people speak of "The ending" they usually mean the loop. I didn't have a problem with that. But other things I did. Suzannah's ending. Bleh. Of course I wasn't really fond of her so for her to be the only one to get a "happily ever after" ending didn't sit well. When she tossed the gun in the garbage I just about closed the book for good.

The book could have been either shorter or better. Soooo much wasted time in 7. I didn't need the deer skinning lessons.

The demise of the bad guys was a disappointment. In fact The Crimson King was a disappointment all around. Thank goodness he only started getting a mention in the later books. If I had been built up to that for 7 books, I really would have not been happy. And I hadn't read The Stand yet or Flagg's death would have ticked me off more.

Overall the last two books had such a different feel about them. Something I can't quite place. Stuff was being brought into the story that was never mentioned before, or wasn't a big part. I dunno what it is exactly that bothers me about them. *shrug*
    Anyways, I'm going to spoilerize my whole post, even though I think anyone coming into a thread with this title has no reason to cry about the ending of the book being spoiled.

Edit: I just noticed how funny my post looks with nothing but a floating frowning face.
    Last edited by Jean; 05-29-2007 at 07:06 AM. Reason: Removed unnecessarily marked spoiler (see Spoiler Requirement for this forum)

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

I didn't hate it,and I am ok with it, but I didn't really like it either. I completely understand it, but I didn't really like it.

A white-haired man who already died
    and a tragic youth with plates on his side.
    The elder told the boy to seek,
    then danced his death with forty freaks.
    What he says is the bool
    where he says it is also a clue
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Pol, I totally get the 16 or 17 year investment. I'm at 20+.

Of course, I totally understand King's obsession with his own mortality and the need to finish Roland's story. So maybe I'm a BIT more lenient in that regard. Hey, if I had gotten hit by a van and lived, I would have totally pulled a Jane Austen ending out of my ass in two seconds flat. It would not have taken me three books. So I give Sai King kudos for that, at least.
    Last edited by Daghain; 05-24-2007 at 10:16 PM. Reason: Because I can't drink and spell!

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Banned sarajean is on a distinguished road

i thought it was perfect.

but, then...i'm of the opinion that the browning poem is the true end of the story, and in that, he blows the horn and finally gets peace.

who'm i, though?

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

^Thats a good point, I like that.

I'm like your personal theory groupie!
    Last edited by sarajean; 05-29-2007 at 08:53 AM. Reason: you're to your

Banned sarajean is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by Darkthoughts View Post
    ^Thats a good point, I like that.

I'm like your personal theory groupie!

My Mood
    Cool

Hahahah and I am *still* the only completely dis-satisfied!!

You dare not."

Mi him en tow
    Mi tow can de lach.

Demon of the Prim Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

4 Satisfied, but with small reservations.

Like King says at the end, do we really need to see what happens in the Tower? I thought no. The fact he got there was good enough for me, and it was the journey, not the climax that interested me. But then again I liked the ending of The Wastelands, too. *shrug*

But if we were going to see the inside, it made as much sense as any. What else would there have been, a royal court and welcome, Gan, a cockpit of some sort that allows him to see all the dimensions, or his own death? So I had no problem with the outcome because it was probably better than the alternatives.

Someone else mentioned, the killing of Mordred belittled Flagg’s death, and I agree. I had no problem with a child of Roland and The Crimson King killing Flagg, because at the point we were led to believe this thing was basically a deity of some kind, which would have meant he was way more powerful than Flagg. The problem was how easily pathetic Mordred was disposed of. This, in reflection, made it seem sad that Flagg couldn’t win against Mordred. I think the Mordred fight should have been tougher, and then it would have been a more plausible end for Flagg.

Susannah? Yea I guess it was pretty cheesy. I never really though about it, though. I guess the reason would be because I didn’t have a problem with her ending.

And finally I liked the battle with the Crimson King; I thought it had some good action. Also we gotta remember The Crimson King was a certified nutto at this point, so we never got to see The Crimson King in his prime. I guess the only disappointment is that he wasn’t fully killed off.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by gguthrie View Post
    I think the Mordred fight should have been tougher, and then it would have been a more plausible end for Flagg.
    But if we look at Flagg history and his character as described in all related books, we'll see that he never fights. He is just not a fighter. He is a plotter and schemer, but face to face with an enemy he either disappears in a cloud of smoke or else, if he doesn't have the time to, he is bound to lose.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I'll agree with Jean on this one. But yeah, as an (unpublished) writer, I'll say, yeah, at some point, you're like "would someone take this sucker out, already?"

I totally understand why King thinks his characters are moving about on their own. They DO.

The White! MonteGss is on a distinguished road MonteGss's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gguthrie View Post
    I think the Mordred fight should have been tougher, and then it would have been a more plausible end for Flagg.
    But if we look at Flagg history and his character as described in all related books, we'll see that he never fights. He is just not a fighter. He is a plotter and schemer, but face to face with an enemy he either disappears in a cloud of smoke or else, if he doesn't have the time to, he is bound to lose.
    Agree completely Jean. Flagg/Walter was a great character but I never, ever saw him as some uber-baddie that would be able to fight it out with Roland.

Sleep Controller ZoNeSeeK is on a distinguished road ZoNeSeeK's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I thought the ending was great, he prepares you for something unexpected (if that makes sense) and then waps you with it.

The RF death did frustrate me at the time, the villain of the Stand, Eyes of the Dragon, the entire DT series etc is so easily disposed of.

But if you remember the hints at RF's position in the scheme of things - towards the end it was becoming tennuous at best. He was playing an incredibly dangerous game, with Roland and the CK, trying to manipulate the outcome. So what happens to RF is his sweet justice - he doesn't die in some spectacular showdown with Roland or his ka-tet and there's no more slinking off into the shadows at the end of this story. RF has meddled and interfered and brought down entire nations with his insidious scheming so the poetic justice of being defeated (humbled) by his own arrogance was shocking in its brevity at first but then is completely fitting.

As for the CK, I dont know if he was ever fully realised by King to begin with, or maybe it was such that by the time they reached the tower, the CK and his heirarchy had eventually suffered as the world moved on.
    "You can lead a whore to culture but you can't make her think." - Duma Key
    zoneseek@thedarktower.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast