32 11.76%
  • 2 - not satisfied, although there are things I liked about the ending

25 9.19%
  • 1 - completely dissatisfied

8 2.94%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 30 of 51 FirstFirst ... 20 28 29 30 31 32 40 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official End Thread

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

didn't i read this somewhere else before??? Hmmmm.....

Gunslinger Apprentice JQ The Gunslinger is on a distinguished road JQ The Gunslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Theres only one point i agree with you. Blowing the horn on the top of the Dark Tower. The rest, well srry but to me that just sounds stupid. Its too easy to say alright all the bad stuff that happened, all he has to do this time is blow a horn. Ik its not a regular horn, but come on

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Patience is a virtue.

Quote Originally Posted by velanthis View Post
    It was also mentioned that he had a possible route for salvation (heaven) this time...
    All I have to say at the moment is that salvation and heaven are not necessarily the same thing.

Demon of the Prim Tatts4Life will become famous soon enough

Country
    Country Flag

You know with the word Ka being used throughout the whole series I wasn't surprised at all with the way the book ended. I started to suspect that type of an ending when I was reading Wolves of the Calla. I thought the ending was good and will probably start reading the series again since it's such a great read.

Quote Originally Posted by All_Hail_The_Crimson_King View Post
    Hell, Letti-love here did her own ending to the Dark Tower series that gave me chills up my arms and back.
    Where can I find her version of how the book ended? I just joined the message board recently and would love to see if there are any other versions that people came up with.

Traveler Emsizz is on a distinguished road Emsizz's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Same. Link me? LoL...

Traveler cbo680 is on a distinguished road

I read the whole series over the course of two months, i do feel a little robbed. It makes me feel like there is so much more that could have been written, the crimson king battle was too quick, i just have some minor issues with the ending but overall i loved the whole series. I was definitely sad to see Eddie and Jake, (ofcourse Oy), die. But happy with the way they were reunited.

Traveler cbo680 is on a distinguished road

Ka is a wheel and WTF KAKA

Au Naturale theBeamisHome is on a distinguished road theBeamisHome's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

i had spoiled it for myself reading stuff on here
    King would have my head
    but i was still upset. now i'm relieved, tho, cuz i feel like the story can go better this time and maybe so many people wont get hurt.

Human kind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. That is alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange. In those days, we really believed that to be the world's one and only truth.

John F. Kennedy JRSly is on a distinguished road

Like many have said, I had, from my point of view, the advantage of reading them all back to back over the course of a few months and that is certainly something to take into account compared to folks who have been following Roland since the '70s.

Unfortunately, I felt angry and cheated most of all, and still do over a year later. I love the series and I've come to terms somewhat with the conclusion and come to appreciate it some more, but the ending I think will always sting.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruthful View Post
    I think the denouement of this series refutes the claim that King is unequipped when it comes to conclusions. I think the conclusion here is just as profound as in The Stand, or his other epic works of horror-fiction.
    I think the exact opposite, but with your same examples. Of what I've read, "The Stand" and "The Dark Tower" both have similarly unfulfilling...I know it'll sound blasphemous, cry pardon...lazy-feeling endings. While I can sympathize with King's oft-repeated "It's the journey, not the destination" sentiment...I don't think him expressing that releases him of trying to deliver a good ending. I find all parts of the story necessary, and just because he likes to warn us about endings not living up to expectations doesn't make a crummy ending sit any better. I just think coming to finales are a weakness in his ability and he tries to make it sound like it's the case with all stories.

I'm gonna go ahead and spoiler the rest to be safe, don't wanna commit a faux pas...

Spoiler:
    Gah...I'm trying not to ramble on too long here..I'll try to finish up here quickly. It was hard to finish the series in any way, cause it's the longest series I'd read, the most attached I'd become to characters, the most invested I'd become in someone's hopes and goals...as deliriously excited as I was to get to the end, I didn't really want to say goodbye either. But immediately after reading the end, as unexpected and thought-provoking as it might be and as much as I enjoyed the series, it almost felt like a waste to have read it. Because everything had been erased...the reset button was pressed. All that I'd been invested in was now gone, it all felt meaningless. It was only shades more satisfying than an 'it was all a dream' ending to me.

I felt a bit like I'd been tricked, getting hooked in by these exciting encounters and harrowing adventures..only to have everything wiped clean at the end. It felt cruel to Roland and to the readers. And then to have him tease us with the horn at the end as if to say, "And here begins the final loop, the actual story...but you won't get to read it." It felt like King managed to find the one loophole where he didn't have to actually write an ending but could still leave the story in an interesting way.

I'm sure I've lost some of my train of thought...so almost done here. But at the same time, I know that it's better than a schmaltzy ending. And in this case, King really was facing an almost insurmountable obstacle of living up to thirty years of anticipation.

Phew...sorry for the length, I don't really have anyone to talk Dark Tower with, so there was a lot bottled up. I hope to discuss many other points of the books with you fine folks in the future.

Au Naturale theBeamisHome is on a distinguished road theBeamisHome's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

wow... welcome JRSly! it's good to have you! and such insight, i love it!

even though many may not agree with you.... lol

Human kind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. That is alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange. In those days, we really believed that to be the world's one and only truth.

Citizen of Gilead stone, rose, unfound door is on a distinguished road stone, rose, unfound door's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I felt really angry at first and I hated King for like 5 seconds. Then I reread the sentence and I felt like I had made the most important discovery in the century. I went out of my room and was really happy telling everyone I had finished it... and handing back the book to my sister's ex-boyfriend because I didn't have enough money to buy it yet and the bookshop in which I always got my books didn't have it in stock in soft cover yet (yes, that was the thing I was waiting for!)

Gunslinger Apprentice Tony_A is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Count me as one of those who loved the ending. It made perfect sense to me when I first read the stories over several years and when I finished my re-read (which began in April or May) last Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by theBeamisHome View Post
    wow... welcome JRSly! it's good to have you! and such insight, i love it!

even though many may not agree with you.... lol
    I'm prepared for that. Just as long as I don't get run out of town for saying it.

Thanks for the welcome!

I'd be very interested in reading Letti's ending as well.

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Don't expect much. Nothing special.
    Here is the thread: http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/...read.php?t=665
    And here is the post: http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/...9&postcount=36

Roland would have understood.

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    Don't expect much. Nothing special.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Citizen of Gilead stone, rose, unfound door is on a distinguished road stone, rose, unfound door's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

All_Hail, I think that most people saying "it couldn't have ended any other way" actually mean that the ending King chose was the "right" one to them (at least, that's how it worked for me) and that, whatever they could have imagined, it just didn't fit really well in the story. I had thought ever since I'd read The Gunslinger that Roland was going to die lamely right in front of the Tower, so I guess you can understand why I liked the "real" ending so much!

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stone, rose, unfound door View Post
    I had thought ever since I'd read The Gunslinger that Roland was going to die lamely right in front of the Tower, so I guess you can understand why I liked the "real" ending so much!
    Yep, I do. I didn't know what was going to happen or if he'd even make it. Reaching the Tower and the end of the last book has been one of those moments in my life that touched me deeply.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

With A Fist Full Of Steel Arthur Heath is on a distinguished road Arthur Heath's Avatar

3rd Planet on the left in the Milky Way galaxy
    Country
    Country Flag

For me it was the entire journey that touched me. For a long time I consider the 'ending' the moment Roland reached the tower and I found the last 20 pages to be anticlimactic and fairly disappointing, but as I stated the sum of the journey was so excellent it could be easily overlooked. Than I started viewing the entire DTVII book as the end and it changed my perception as many of my favorite moments are in that volume. The ending is now my favorite part of the series.

"As for gunslingers, Roland," Cuthbert says, "I am here. And we are the last."

When two fit, it makes you think
    I got the cute one, my woman
    She says, "Lovin's all I bring"
    And it's her loving that's a wonderful thing.
    Lovin' yes we are, it's such a wonderful thing
    When two fit it makes you think
    See us both in the black
    She lays on me so relaxed.
    -Big D and The Kids Table

Traveler Askani is on a distinguished road

Well guys, hi!
    I just finished reading DT and I just HAD TO find someone to talk about it...
    And then you guys showed up! But anyway, can we continue to talk abou the ending or is it old news?
    So, my take on it...
    When Roland gets to the top of the tower, his life resets, all time shifts and there is another chance to do the things right. But, onde thing that kept me thinking was, that, even though the new begining starts in the desert, we have no real proof that it was there that his journey really started...
    Let me explain this a little better...
    When Roland got the pink ball that Rhea loved so much, it just got him trapped untill one of is friends took it from his hands right? And the book itself shows that when this happened his eyes changed and so did his voice, in sk words, he became the man that he was going to be further in his journey.
    Hence, imho, this is where his journey starts...
    Another point to be seen is that Roland is the last gunslinger and the last Eld alive and if Susan had not died, he would have a son, to carry on not only hys name and his legacy but also the excalibur! To me seems that the tower needs an Eld to protect her and when the tower became more important to Roland than life itself, something has to be done to change it!
    One more thing, when Roland reaches the final room, there is nothing waiting for him bacause there is nothing left for him... the search of the tower was his only goal in his life, could it be that the tower gave him what He desired most? Assuming that He could have had a life with Susan, a child and built a real story, He would have a place to GO back and the journey to save and reach the tower wouldnt be na empty jouney at all, He would be doing it in order to achieve a greater goal, being that goal to save the universe for his kin, his kA-tet or else!
    In this run, the journey was the purpose of his life, yet He came to Love his second kA-tet more than He loved the first one I think, and when Love comes to the equation, everything changes... If He now let love inside, his Love for Susan wouldnt let him let her alone and this should be the new beginning!
    Again, to me when re enters the tower, He is transported to the moment when He looked inside the Pink crystal Ball...
    Sorry not to mention names and such, but I am Brazilian and I read dt in portuguese, so names can be a lot diferent...
    Anyway, thanks for your time, great site and what areyour takes on my thoughts?

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by All_Hail_The_Crimson_King View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by stone, rose, unfound door View Post
    I had thought ever since I'd read The Gunslinger that Roland was going to die lamely right in front of the Tower, so I guess you can understand why I liked the "real" ending so much!
    Yep, I do. I didn't know what was going to happen or if he'd even make it. Reaching the Tower and the end of the last book has been one of those moments in my life that touched me deeply.
    So you actually have a heart, All_Hail! I had been wondering for quite a while, but you've shown me you're not as bad as the CK you worship!

Whatever gave you the impression that I don't have a heart? I'm a very caring, loving, sweet individual.

Gunslinger Apprentice theyspunaweb is on a distinguished road theyspunaweb's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Well. I kind of jumped ahead and spoiled the ending for myself on accident. I was searching for the last page just to see how many total pages there were (1031) when I was at about pg 800. And I just couldn't help seeing that very last line. You know, the one:

"The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed".

It's all italicized and even without reading it, I knew what it said. So, it was my fault, I guess for being like Roland, haha I was just too curious to see just how much I had left before I was going to finish and when I read that line, I had a pretty good idea of what was going to happen. Because, how else could Roland be BACK IN THE DESERT FOLLOWING MARTEN? BACK TOWARDS THE TOWER? Ugg.

So that was kind of annoying. But it was a good enough ending. Like I read in a similar post, King emphasized it well, he warned us readers, and if we wanted it perfect we could have left it. But I felt like after reading a lot of these posts it's helped me make up my mind and feel alright with the ending. I didn't really know what I expected but when I was done, I sort of felt like...haha of course, what else would happen anyways. Because, I for sure wouldn't know how to end this series and make it and ending of what it's worthy...I don't think I would have been satisfied with Roland finding a rose on top or dying up there being happy or reuniting with everyone on top happily ever after. The ending really did seem incredible enough for after all of that, Roland must journey again, and I thought the message was clear and well enough (even if there are still some that people question (what the horn means etc.)) I thought it was clear enough that the Tower was forcing him back to the quest because of his choices and what he needed to realize was important in life and not take for granted for the quest of the tower. The horn was a sign of change, and intriguing. Enough for me to put the series to rest and be done with the story. It's probably better that we don't know what happens at "the top" when he completes it perfectly because I don't think S.K. even knows how to write a beautiful enough ending for himself and all of us, or, maybe Roland hasn't finished his quest yet haha cheesy I know.

Gunslinger Apprentice Tony_A is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by theyspunaweb View Post
    Well. I kind of jumped ahead and spoiled the ending for myself on accident. I was searching for the last page just to see how many total pages there were (1031) when I was at about pg 800. And I just couldn't help seeing that very last line. You know, the one:

"The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed".
    I do that all the time (look at the back to see the total # of pages). Luckily, when I looked at the last page in Dark Tower, I didn't see the last line, but I did ruin the ending James Patterson's "Roses are Red" and found out who the Mastermind was.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I always read the last page(s), like Harry (When Harry Met Sally)! I want to know what the author is driving at.

Before we have gone too far off topic, I am happy to tell you that we have Reading Habits thread where such things are discussed!

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 30 of 51 FirstFirst ... 20 28 29 30 31 32 40 ... LastLast