Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Cussing/Cursing: What is it really??

Au Naturale theBeamisHome is on a distinguished road theBeamisHome's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

that's great

Human kind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. That is alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange. In those days, we really believed that to be the world's one and only truth.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

yes. The bear likes that, too - please note that it proves my point. The comical effect here entirely depends on our (for example, Grandma's) considering that word "bad".

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes

I'm not of the opinion that there isn't bad language...I think perhaps the term bad is what people maybe objecting to, rather than the concept that there is a time and place for certain words or turns of phrase.

Staying on the topic of children and swearing, I think that whether you mind your children swearing or not - or whether or not you care about minding your language infront of them, only really becomes an issue if you fail to also communicate the appropriateness of such language.

Because even as an adult, if you swear constantly and also out of context, I think people generally assume you are uncouth or even lacking in intelligence - which is a way in which I don't think anyone would want to be judged.
    I think its possible to be non conformist in many ways, but with something like profanity, its hard to do it in a way that maintains your dignity...thats not quite the word I want, but y'know what I mean?

Country
    Country Flag

yes! i agree with you completely Lisa. profanity does make you appear ignorant and i mostly don't curse because of the perception that it gives others.... and because i have a small, cute voice and i speak very proper usually so expletives sound completely ridiculous coming out of my mouth. most people laugh when i curse... which is usually the reason i use the words :laugh:

Human kind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. That is alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange. In those days, we really believed that to be the world's one and only truth.

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I love it more when really cute people swear, it has more shock value!

Country
    Country Flag

yeah, i know if i swear around my dad he starts rolling! he thinks its the funniest thing in the world. Nigel goes "awww.." and laughs. so i just don't really do it unless i'm trying to evoke laughter.. i rarely swear if i'm genuinely mad.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by theBeamisHome View Post
    profanity does make you appear ignorant
    obviously. Anything that makes your language poorer does. If instead of saying, "she is a very/outstandingly/spectacularly/strikingly/extraordinarily beautiful woman" one always says, "she is fucking pretty," and uses the same word and its derivatives at every opportunity, it means he is either unable or unwilling to make free verbal choice.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Darkthoughts View Post
    Yes

I'm not of the opinion that there isn't bad language...I think perhaps the term bad is what people maybe objecting to, rather than the concept that there is a time and place for certain words or turns of phrase.

Staying on the topic of children and swearing, I think that whether you mind your children swearing or not - or whether or not you care about minding your language infront of them, only really becomes an issue if you fail to also communicate the appropriateness of such language.

Because even as an adult, if you swear constantly and also out of context, I think people generally assume you are uncouth or even lacking in intelligence - which is a way in which I don't think anyone would want to be judged.
    I think its possible to be non conformist in many ways, but with something like profanity, its hard to do it in a way that maintains your dignity...thats not quite the word I want, but y'know what I mean?
    Exactly. Also, I think you have to really consider context when "bad" words are used.

For example, I really, REALLY hate it when a man calls a woman "my bitch" when speaking about her. It implies she is his property and makes me want to beat the living shit out of him. Literally. The fact that any woman on the planet would put up with this behavior amazes me to no end. Some of us on this site have said it jokingly to each other, and I have no problem with that, but I also think it's real easy to tell the difference in context between the two.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

I'd love to be able to swear in foreign languages!
    Buddy, you think you look strong? You’re wearing a cape.

Silverloch John_and_Yoko will become famous soon enough John_and_Yoko's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic

Quote Originally Posted by Odetta View Post
    And that is precisely why we have swear words.

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I can swear in German.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Silverloch John_and_Yoko will become famous soon enough John_and_Yoko's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic

Quote Originally Posted by John_and_Yoko View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Odetta View Post
    And that is precisely why we have swear words.
    If some words weren't considered taboo, no one would want to say them.

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Fuck is my favorite swear word, although not very people I know around here know that

Banned The Lady of Shadows is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by LadyHitchhiker View Post
    Fuck is my favorite swear word, although not very people I know around here know that

oh mine as well. but no one here knows that because i so very rarely use it in public.

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

We're such sweet angels...

My Mood
    Worried

One of the funniest swears I ever heard before was "Jesus Joojoo Christ Jumping Around in a G-String!"

I laughed out loud because it was so bizarre!

Country
    Country Flag

which reminds me.... what's Jesus' middle name that start with an.... H, is it?

M.I.A. Unfound One is on a distinguished road Unfound One's Avatar

Hoobastank.

Country
    Country Flag

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by Unfound One View Post
    Hoobastank.

I was gonna say Homer, but that's much funnier.

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

fucktard
    Buddy, you think you look strong? You’re wearing a cape.

Banned The Lady of Shadows is on a distinguished road

odetta you so rock

Satanic Mechanic B Rag will become famous soon enough B Rag's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Aww, shucks, most of what I think about this topic has already been said... so there's not much left for me to say.

I don't believe there are any words that shouldn't be said. Encouraging people to believe that words are bad just leads to people being unhappy over nothing.

There are, however, words that I just don't like. None of them are cuss words, though.
    Have you heard of people with short fuses? Well, I have no fuse at all, and there's a thousand could testify to it if I hadn't stilled their tongues for good.

Quote Originally Posted by LadyHitchhiker
    my itty bitty boy parts need the movie to grow
    You can't ignore my girth.

Country
    Country Flag

cunt is a word that makes my skin crawl for some reason... even if its used in a physiological type meaning... it's just so vulgar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I actually like that word. It makes some of my other female friends physically cringe, but I'm not deterred

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast