Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: The Neil Gaiman thread

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

You should pick up Stardust and Neverwhere. I think you'd like those.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I'm not trusting anything you say after Carnivale! I'm liking it, but I was expecting an incredibly awesome show here!

Seriously, I'll check out more of Gaiman's stuff when I have the reading time. Haven't read any King in a while though, so I might check out another of his books. The Sandman's top of the list for next comic series to read, though.
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Guardian of the Beam alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, what if I tell you to read Neverwhere? It's really good! I'm also loving him book of short stories, Fragile Things.

Demon of the Prim Yaksha has a spectacular aura about Yaksha has a spectacular aura about Yaksha has a spectacular aura about Yaksha's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Neverwhere is amazing James. Trust us.
    If you love me then love me..

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Have you seen the series btw, Yaksha? Is it any good? I heard it let down Gaiman's original vision slightly due to budget, which is why he wrote the novel in the first place. I'm interested in either version, really.

- Melike

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I didn't care for the series at all, but the book was excellent
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes, yes it was. It is what made me love Gaiman.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Demon of the Prim Yaksha has a spectacular aura about Yaksha has a spectacular aura about Yaksha has a spectacular aura about Yaksha's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Haven not been able to find the series but I hear it wasn't that good
    If you love me then love me..

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorDodge View Post
    Ok, just finished reading American Gods finally, after reading it on and off for the past few months. Thoughts? A lot of wonderful ideas, and some truly epic storytelling, although I did find it harder connecting to some of the main characters than in the last book of his I read, Anansi Boys (which I found to be an easier read, though that might be to do with the fact that I liked it's mixture of adult fairy tale with distinctly British comedy more). I think that was the only problem I had with it, though. Definitely keen to check out some of Gaiman's other stuff now.
    I read AMERICAN GODS before ANANSI BOYS, but my reaction was the same as yours. I liked ANANSI BOYS better.

Anyway, as they are all recommending, NEVERWHERE is worth putting near the top of your reading list.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Neverwhere was my first and is still my favorite Gaiman story.

If you rescue me

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DoctorDodge View Post
    Ok, just finished reading American Gods finally, after reading it on and off for the past few months. Thoughts? A lot of wonderful ideas, and some truly epic storytelling, although I did find it harder connecting to some of the main characters than in the last book of his I read, Anansi Boys (which I found to be an easier read, though that might be to do with the fact that I liked it's mixture of adult fairy tale with distinctly British comedy more). I think that was the only problem I had with it, though. Definitely keen to check out some of Gaiman's other stuff now.
    I read AMERICAN GODS before ANANSI BOYS, but my reaction was the same as yours. I liked ANANSI BOYS better.

Anyway, as they are all recommending, NEVERWHERE is worth putting near the top of your reading list.
    So glad it wasn't just me! Neverwhere is definitely going on my "2012 reading list", along with The Sandman series and Good Omens. So much stuff to read and not enough time.

- Melike

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

read faster

If you rescue me

My Mood
    Yeehaw

But then, if I go above 30 pages an hour, how will I remember what I'm reading?

- Melike

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

DD you'd probably like the Neverwhere tv series, it's typical BBC budget sci-fi/fantasy. And what are you saying about Carnivale...didn't you like it?!

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Like I said earlier, I'm liking it, but the way Heather described, I was expecting something amazing. And honestly, my genuine thoughts on it so far after a few eps? It's pretty, almost beautiful to look at, but shallow. All the characters so far come across as rather flat, and the story takes itself way too seriously. Like dark, twisted humour never existed. (Why I love Neil Gaiman's writing: he knows exactly where to include humour where it's needed as well as tragedy and sorrow.) There's little life to it. Even the preacher character, who looked to be at first the most interesting character by far, has become rather two-dimensional. Never do I get a sense of a true struggle of faith, of what's going on in his head as he has these strange visions and powers. It's one of the weaker HBO series I've watched, if I'm honest.

- Melike

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I forgot how serious you are about your tv James

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Really? 'Cause these days, there's hardly any tv that I actually watch! But I'll admit, I'm especially serious when it comes to humour, too, and while I didn't expect Carnivale to be a laugh a minute, I expect some humour from the tv I watch, at least, and Carnivale seemed perfect for some dark, twisted humour from time to time, at least. Ah well. I bought the series 1 set on Heather's word anyway, so I'll keep going through it, although to be honest, it's got a long way to go before matching the Wire, a show that took me a couple of eps to be sure if I liked it or not but is definitely growing on me.

- Melike

a ghost? a ghost. Rjeso will become famous soon enough Rjeso will become famous soon enough Rjeso's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead

The Neverwhere TV series was all right, but I definitely prefer the book. If you have Netflix streaming, it's worth a look, but I wouldn't seek it out if you have to pay anything extra for it.

So, I got Absolute Sandman Vol II for Christmas this year, and I've already finished it. xD The story has been absolutely amazing so far (but what else can we expect from Gaiman?) and I am totally impatient to get my hands on Vol. III.
    you're solid gold // i'll see you in hell

Demon of the Prim Maturins_Daughter is on a distinguished road Maturins_Daughter's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm definitely a Gaiman Girl - started with Neverwhere (given to me as a gift), Stardust, & Good Omens. Then moved on to American Gods, Anansi Boys, and the first couple of Sandman GNs. Love his short story collections. Also really liked MirrorMask & Coraline (the movies). His writing style and his storytelling skill are amazing.

The novel Neverwhere actually came after the BBC series - he wanted to expand on the limitations due to cost/time/whatever, so he wrote a much more satisfying book (but I still really enjoyed the tv show).

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Bonnie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope the talk of how to revive the Riddles has brought you back to us

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maerlyn's Imp sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

anybody looking to buy a rhyme maiden limited to 50 folio signed limited for $400. Its to big for my bookshelf.

Demon of the Prim Maturins_Daughter is on a distinguished road Maturins_Daughter's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Bonnie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope the talk of how to revive the Riddles has brought you back to us

Hello Sweety Jean!
    I didn't notice the riddles thing until I posted here and Brice sent me a message about the riddles forum. I'll try to think of something to post there
    Good to see you again!

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

If you rescue me

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

For the Sandman fans out there, on the 25th anniversary of the first issue, Gaiman has big news for us:

"...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 LastLast