Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: The Neil Gaiman thread

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

I just finished Vol 1 Preludes and Nocturnes earlier. (This is the time where I take a moment to thank Feev for being a f'n graphic novel peddler and once again turning me into a junkie.....Thanks FEEV!!...)
    Anyway, I really enjoyed this first volume. The artwork is very cool and the color schemes are amazing. (I love, love, love the blue of the Sandman's hair and cloak.)
    What I realy enjoyed about it was how, at the beginning of each story, you are kind of in the dark as far as what is really going on. I like how characters and plots are slowly revealed instead of just thrown out all at once at the beginning of the story. It definitely evolves at a perfect pace.
    There were a lot of moments in the book that I really liked. Him travelling into hell to reclaim his helmet was probably my favorite. Naturally, I liked the duel with Choronzon, but I loved Sandman's response when told that he had no power in Hell. "What power would Hell have if those imprisoned here were not able to dream of Heaven?"
    And of course the battle with Dee was great. Especially when he first challenges him and we see him put on his helmet and invite him to the dream world. Badass!
    I'm really looking forward to reading more of these.....I've started a bit of Vol 2, but put it down, wanting to savor it for another day.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Girlystevedave View Post
    I loved Sandman's response when told that he had no power in Hell. "What power would Hell have if those imprisoned here were not able to dream of Heaven?"
    I love that quote too - I think I had it in my sig back at .net. And yes, the duel with Choronzon is bad ass!

Glad to know you enjoyed it.

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Spoiler:
    Firstly: I see you Feev

I just finished The Sandman: The Doll's House and all I can really say is WOW. It was awesome.

Spoiler:
    I think the part when Rose calls for Morpheus and he saves her from Nathan was one of my favorites. Of course, pretty much all of the story involving Rose/the vortex was brilliant. Especially the build up at the end when Unity reveals that she was supposed to be the vortex, and gives up her life to save Rose.
    And shit! Morpheus calling Desire out at the end and telling him/her to basically not f*ck around with his realm. Morpheus really is one badass when he needs to be.

Awesome..awesome..awesome..
    After seeing the complexity to his personality, I'm really starting to fall in love with Morpheus.

Edit: I'm sure I'll be back in here repeatedly when I remember other parts that I liked.

Gunslinger Apprentice Rider_of_Discordia is on a distinguished road Rider_of_Discordia's Avatar

I have met Neil Gaiman a number of times at signings and Comic Cons, he is a top guy, really friendly, willing to chat for far too long and really interesting.

I can confirm that the regular Season of Mists graphic novel has those old fake bio's in it as well. I am not certain about any reprints, though I don't see why DC should change it.

Achin' to be Seymour_Glass is on a distinguished road Seymour_Glass's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I've read the first two volumes. The Doll's house was freaking epic. I loved how it all tied together. It was all over the place, but always awesome.

Gunslinger Apprentice Rider_of_Discordia is on a distinguished road Rider_of_Discordia's Avatar

The Sound of Her Wings, the issue that starts with Dream feeding the pidgeons is one of my favourite comics of all time!

I am not certain which volume its in as there was some mix up and different editions have it bundled at the beginning of Doll's House and others in Preludes and Nocturnes. Don't know why, I have it in both collections ... which seems a tad of an overkill (and the original comic ... so three times!) ... such a good story though.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

It's the concluding story of Preludes & Nocturnes.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks to Feev, I checked out this series. I've read the first seven volumes, so now I'm trying to wait longer in between to make them last longer.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Feverishparade wrote... It's the concluding story of Preludes & Nocturnes.
    Makes more sense there .. leaves the whole of THE DOLL'S HOUSE as a complete story in the one volume. I was poking around afterwards and came across the explanation that Doll's House + Sound of her Wings was published first (before any other bits of series) as a kind of sampler for the series. Which is obviously when my volume dates from. I bought it because I wanted to loan out the comics to friends to get them into the series, but didn't want to loan the originals out. Having a graphic novel was an ideal substitute to loaning comics out. Now I don't read my original comics at all. Just a hassle and probably my daughter wouldn't thank me when I shuffle off to the clearing at the end of the path and she wants to ebay the whole collection.

"Sandman #1-75 slightly pawed and scuffed" is not going to be a bid catcher the same as "Near mint and sparkly"

Mother of Dragons Erin will become famous soon enough Erin will become famous soon enough Erin's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I convinced my friend Josh to start reading Sandman. He's on Brief Lives now and loving it.
    I am Daenerys Stormborn and I will take what is mine. With fire and blood.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Aaron loaned them to me, I'm enjoying the shit out of it.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

I started Dream Country last night. So far, I've only read the first story, with Calliope. I really liked when:

Spoiler:
    Morpheus gave Madoc too many ideas to the point where it dove him mad. And he was trying to 'write' the ideas on the wall using his fingers.

With A Fist Full Of Steel Arthur Heath is on a distinguished road Arthur Heath's Avatar

3rd Planet on the left in the Milky Way galaxy
    Country
    Country Flag

I consume everything Gaiman. He has a new book, The Graveyard Book, in 7 weeks. Effin A! I just noticed he'll be in Seattle in October. ROAD TRIP!

"As for gunslingers, Roland," Cuthbert says, "I am here. And we are the last."

When two fit, it makes you think
    I got the cute one, my woman
    She says, "Lovin's all I bring"
    And it's her loving that's a wonderful thing.
    Lovin' yes we are, it's such a wonderful thing
    When two fit it makes you think
    See us both in the black
    She lays on me so relaxed.
    -Big D and The Kids Table

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Did you know that Gaiman is going to start writing Batman in January 2009?

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    Did you know that Gaiman is going to start writing Batman in January 2009?
    Sweet!

He doesn't discuss Sandman in this, but mainly Stardust and graphic novels in general. Here's a 5-minute Gaiman interview video:

[ame="http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=15214 595"]Short Gaiman Interview[/ame]
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Question: Is this thread, as the name implies, focused on only the Sandman series?

Should we start another thread for Gaiman's many other works, or convert this one to a more general Gaiman thread?

Thanks.
    - Patrick

p.s. I am going to see/meet Gaiman this Sunday. Only 100 people get to go.

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Hmmmmm. And shouldn't this thread be in the Comic Tower?!?
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Patrick - Thanks for reminding me, I was actually going to suggest making this a General Gaiman discussion thread a few weeks back. I think that would be better, that way we can discuss the series and all of his wonderful novels.

Pam - Since we're going to change the title anyway so that the thread is all-encompassing , I think we can leave it here

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

give the thread a new name, and bears will rename it

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

How about... The Neil Gaiman thread?

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

done!
    Buddy, you think you look strong? You’re wearing a cape.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    Patrick - Thanks for reminding me, I was actually going to suggest making this a General Gaiman discussion thread a few weeks back. I think that would be better, that way we can discuss the series and all of his wonderful novels.

Pam - Since we're going to change the title anyway so that the thread is all-encompassing , I think we can leave it here
    I thank you,

And the boy thanks you.

The Thermals cody44 is on a distinguished road cody44's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Well, I have have been really interested in Gaiman's works, but haven't decided where to start. Can anyone help me out? I was thinking American God's sounded like a great place to start. Where did you guys start at when it comes to Gaiman?

I regret leaving my soul
    I forgot I needed it, to feel
    maybe when I die
    I'll just grab it real quick

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

All I have read is Coraline. I really enjoyed it, but I am wondering if he has anything that is geared to an adult audience. I liked Coraline and would read and enjoy similar works, but I am more interested in something with a little more meat.
    Sloth Love Chunk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast