Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The Neil Gaiman thread

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Default The Neil Gaiman thread

Well, as many of you know, and for those who don't, I have an unhealthy obsession with Neil Geiman's comics graphic novel series, The Sandman. This thread is for general discussion of the series as a whole.

The following question is for those who've read the entire series (or if you decided to skip ahead and read volume 10 before finishing the other ones, cheater!):

Spoiler:
    If Morpheus had chosen Daniel from the beginning to be the next [aspect of the] Sandman, what do you think Morpheus did in his 'previous' life?

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Questions about Sandman Series

How's it going feev? I was wondering if you (or anybody else for that matter) could give me a little info about the Sandman series.

I'm new to the graphic novel world and when I ask somebody to recommend a series they all say Sandman. I've thumbed through a couple books and the art seems to be a little more harsh than other books.

My question is, what is the series about? What makes it great? I've never read anything by Gaiman. Should I start with one of his novels? Lastly, what is the meaning of life?

Anyway, I'm reading Y: The Last Man series right now and I'm looking for something else to get into once I'm done with that.

Thanks.

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sandman_%28Vertigo%29

This wikipedia article gives some stuff on it. There may be some spoilers in it, so read carefully. People generally mark spoilers on wikipedia, though.

It is hard to say why it is so good. Gaiman is just amazing in everything he does. He is my favorite writer by far in both novels and comics. He started with the comics, so reading his novels first won't hurt, but it won't help either, really. The Sandman is very enriched and interwoven with mythology and magic, and the story is just amazing overall.
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

Mother of Dragons Erin will become famous soon enough Erin will become famous soon enough Erin's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Once I started reading The Sandman I literally couldn't stop reading them. All the characters are amazing and the story is so elaborate and thought provoking.

I highly recommend anyone read them.
    I am Daenerys Stormborn and I will take what is mine. With fire and blood.

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    I've thumbed through a couple books and the art seems to be a little more harsh than other books.
    The style of the artwork, or what its depicting? If you mean the latter, then true, Gaiman doesn't shy away from violence and subsequent gore - but its not excessive when you put it in the context of the story.

I think hes so great, because hes mastered the art of storytelling in a very traditional and at the same time, unique way.

As for his novels, Neverwhere is also fairly "harsh" I'd say, and Smoke and Mirrors - you could start with Stardust, which I liken to SK's Eyes of the Dragon. American God's and Anansi Boys are both quite brutal at times, but his style has mellowed alot with these two books and they're also two of the greatest stories I've read.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post

My question is, what is the series about? What makes it great? I've never read anything by Gaiman. Should I start with one of his novels? Lastly, what is the meaning of life?

This last sentence eliminated any doubt in my mind as to who you were Welcome back Mike!! You're gonna stick around this time, right?

As for your question: one of the reasons that these graphic novels are so good is because Geiman injects human traits into the main protagonist , Morpheus / The Sandman. Instead of following the usual " I am a divine entity, therefore all your puny mortals shall bow to me" template, Geiman places him into situations that we can all relate to. Through out the series Morpheus will love, hate, feel the frustrations of loss, and experience other human emotions. Bottom line: do yourself a favor, pick up the first volume , start this amazing series,you won't regret it.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

This last sentence eliminated any doubt in my mind as to who you were Welcome back Mike!! You're gonna stick around this time, right?
    Heh, I'm gonna try this time. One of these days I will get my hands on a new computer and make my life easier.

Thanks to everybody for their responses (although I'm disappointed nobody answered my meaning of life question) you all have helped me make the choice to pick up the first series of Sandman next time I go to my local comic book shop. I've heard nothing but great things from everybody about the series and I don't like being left out of stuff like that.

Has anybody read the 100 bullets series? People recommend that to me too.

Mother of Dragons Erin will become famous soon enough Erin will become famous soon enough Erin's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

As for your question: one of the reasons that these graphic novels are so good is because Geiman injects human traits into the main protagonist , Morpheus / The Sandman.
    Exactly. That is why I love the series so much. Dream is so complex.

Who is everyone's favorite character?

Spoilers ahead....

I absolutely love Delirium. Brief Lives is by far my favorite portion of the series. Dream and Delirium's journey to find their long-lost brother is awesome. I love the comedic aspect Delirium brings to the series, especially the scene where she and Dream are in a waiting room trying to speak to Pharamond and she is making small, brightly colored frogs appear out of thin air. The receptionist is terrified and she wispers into the phone "The lady....she's making little frogs". That scene just sealed the deal for me with Delirium.

I also cried during the scene when Destiny tells Dream that in order to find Destruction, he must go see his son. Dream falls apart, deeply upset. Realizing that Dream has just lost it, Delirium pulls herself together (her eyes even become the same colors) to help him and for mere minutes becomes the voice of reason. It was such a moving scene, especially when she says "Please get up, I don't know how much longer I can be like this. It hurts very much".

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

I think Delerium is probably my favorite character as well. I like how she is patterned after Tori Amos, and I can see a bit of Neil in Dream, though I suppose tehre is most likely a bit of Neil in all of them. I'm also a big Merv Pumpkinhead fan.

My favorite story arc of the series is The Kindly Ones, though. Everytime I read a thread like this it makes me wish i had the money to start on my Sandman back piece tattoo.

Hey Erin, buy me a Sandman tattoo.
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

Gunslinger Apprentice towerguard is on a distinguished road towerguard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post

Spoiler:
    If Morpheus had chosen Daniel from the beginning to be the next [aspect of the] Sandman, what do you think Morpheus did in his 'previous' life?
    Spoiler:
    I think Morpheus was the original Dream, there was only death before he was. So he came from nobody
    I think we ought to read only the kind of books that wound and stab us. If the book we are reading doesn't wake us up with a blow on the head, what are we reading it for? - Franz Kafka

Gunslinger Apprentice The_Nameless is on a distinguished road The_Nameless's Avatar

Oh my. Brilliant idea.

Gaiman's Sandman series furthur cemented my love of comics.
    It is absolutely brilliant in it's execution, and one of the greatest things the comic industry has ever seen. Actually, one of the greatest things the litery world has ever seen.

It is wonderfully imaginative, and has a cast of lovable characters. (I think Delirium is my favourite.)

Quote Originally Posted by Erin
    I absolutely love Delirium. Brief Lives is by far my favorite portion of the series. Dream and Delirium's journey to find their long-lost brother is awesome. I love the comedic aspect Delirium brings to the series, especially the scene where she and Dream are in a waiting room trying to speak to Pharamond and she is making small, brightly colored frogs appear out of thin air. The receptionist is terrified and she wispers into the phone "The lady....she's making little frogs". That scene just sealed the deal for me with Delirium.
    And I'm pleased to see I am not alone in my love for the character and that story. Delirium always brings a smile to my face, even when she's not saying anything.

Quote Originally Posted by ochriso
    I think Delerium is probably my favorite character as well.
    And another who loves Delirium.

Then again, it is hard not to like here.
    "Help me out here
    All my words are falling short
    And there's so much I want to say"

I painted this on the wall of my bedroom when I was in highschool. My dad painted over it when I moved out, though, so it no longer exists.

I'm glad that I at least got a picture of it.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

OchrisO, it is so good! Even if it gave you nightmares (did it?), it's great.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks.

Haha. Nah. It would have been great if it did though. I love nightmares. It would have been fitting too, since that is the Lord of Dreams.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

the worst nightmares are the ones you don't remember upon waking. So probably the Lord of Dreams did give them to you. Then, probably, they were, or may be are yet to be, reflected in your poems.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Thats so cool Chris - shame it got painted over

I love Death - the High Cost of Living - was great if you're a fan. I've been out of the graphic novel loop for a while though...did any of the others get their own spin offs?

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by OchrisO View Post
    Thanks.

Haha. Nah. It would have been great if it did though. I love nightmares. It would have been fitting too, since that is the Lord of Dreams.
    Hell yeah! Me too! Don't you love that feeling of waking up covered in sweat, with your heart hammering away in your chest?

That's a bad ass picture by the way. I'm going to print it out and paste it on my scrap book.

I want this tattoo
    I think we ought to read only the kind of books that wound and stab us. If the book we are reading doesn't wake us up with a blow on the head, what are we reading it for? - Franz Kafka

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Chris on this site wants a similar tattoo to that. Without the writing though I think.

And thanks for bumping this Ronnie, It reminded me that I bought a really cool print at DragonCon of a watercolor of Death. I'll take a pic when I get home from work and post it.

Yeah, if I ever get it, mine will be Huginn and Muninn, Odin's ravens, Thought and Memory. If any text, I would maybe get their names.Or, perhaps this:

Old Norse:

Huginn ok Muninn fliúga hverian dag
    iörmungrund yfir;
    óomk ek of Huginn, at hann aptr ne komit,
    þó siámk meirr um Muninn.

English:

The whole world wide, every day,
    fly Hugin and Munin;
    I worry lest Hugin should fall in flight,
    yet more I fear for Munin.

That tattoo is awesome, though.

I also plan to get all of the Endless on my back with Dream at the center and the rest floating in mist around him portrait style. I'll probaly add minor characters throughout the mist as time goes by as well. That is, if I ever have the money and time to undertake it.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

That would be beyond awesome...I'll paypal you some funds

Yeah, if I ever get it, mine will be Huginn and Muninn, Odin's ravens, Thought and Memory. If any text, I would maybe get their names.Or, perhaps this:

Old Norse:

Huginn ok Muninn fliúga hverian dag
    iörmungrund yfir;
    óomk ek of Huginn, at hann aptr ne komit,
    þó siámk meirr um Muninn.

English:

The whole world wide, every day,
    fly Hugin and Munin;
    I worry lest Hugin should fall in flight,
    yet more I fear for Munin.

That tattoo is awesome, though.

I also plan to get all of the Endless on my back with Dream at the center and the rest floating in mist around him portrait style. I'll probaly add minor characters throughout the mist as time goes by as well. That is, if I ever have the money and time to undertake it.

Thats cool, I wasn't thinking of getting a sandman tattoo at first, I was specificly looking for Hugin and Munin ideas when I ran across that.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

First time in this thread...

I've read Gaiman's AMERICAN GODS and ANANSI BOYS in the last year and enjoyed them both. After enjoying those books and based on favorable things posted on other sites (from many of you actually), I finally started in on THE SANDMAN. I read Volume I, PRELUDES AND NOCTURNES, and I'm now into Volume 2, THE DOLL'S HOUSE.

There have been only limited appearances by other members of The Endless, but I'm loving this story (these stories?) regardless.

I've already purchased Volume 3, DREAM COUNTRY, as well.

Morpheus rocks.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

I'm always super happy to see more people reading Sandman.

The Kindly ones is my favorite of all the story arcs. Season of Mists is a very close second and is amazing. Season of Mists is right after Dream Country, actually, so you will get t read it soon.

Dream Country is interesting because it is more self contained than the rest of the series in that it is 4 distinct stories that are sort of apart from the main narrative arc.

I need to find my copy of Season of Mists and take a picture of it. It is a really neat copy bound in fake leather with a golden key on the front.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I need to find my copy of Season of Mists and take a picture of it. It is a really neat copy bound in fake leather with a golden key on the front.
    Please do.

The comic bookstore where I'm getting these also has a big ol' faux leatherbound edition that appears to have all ten volumes inside for about $100 (U.S.). I was tempted to buy it rather than the individual volumes as it would look cool and would be cheaper by the time I bought all the volumes separately. But I decided it would just be too unwieldly to actually read the whole thing.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast