Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 117 of 267 FirstFirst ... 17 67 107 115 116 117 118 119 127 167 217 ... LastLast
Results 2,901 to 2,925 of 6652

Thread: General Movie Discussion - **please mark spoilers**

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Yeah, I noticed alot of the random movies that you post about are ones that I've seen and really enjoyed. I don't know a single other person that has even heard of Lars and the Real Girl.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Rabid Billybumbler Ruthful is on a distinguished road Ruthful's Avatar

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    I'm jealous. I want to see Big Fan so bad.
    It premiered in New York City this past weekend.

They're crisscrossing the country over the next two months. Here's a list of showtimes:

http://www.bigfanmovie.com/showtimes.html

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    Yeah, I noticed alot of the random movies that you post about are ones that I've seen and really enjoyed. I don't know a single other person that has even heard of Lars and the Real Girl.
    Me either. My friends would never watch a film like that, or many others that I'm interested in. That's why I like to come here and talk to you guys. The people here love film and they know their stuff.

Ruthful, thanks for posting that. It will be coming to CT on October 9th. I will have to see if I can catch that.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

I saw Lars and the Real Girl a whole back. I really liked it.
    It was definitely one that was passed over by a lot of people.

It was better than Juno that I watched for the first time the other night. It was okay, but overrated imo. That's right..I said it.

妖怪 ola is on a distinguished road ola's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Girlystevedave View Post
    I
    It was better than Juno that I watched for the first time the other night. It was okay, but overrated imo. That's right..I said it.
    Oh god, I couldn't stand Juno...some good actors but the dialogue was super distracting. I don't think I would feel so strongly about it if there weren't so many people saying how great of a movie it was - I just don't get it.

I don't hate all twee indie movies either. Juno seemed like it was trying way too hard.

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ola View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Girlystevedave View Post
    I
    Oh god, I couldn't stand Juno...some good actors but the dialogue was super distracting. I don't think I would feel so strongly about it if there weren't so many people saying how great of a movie it was - I just don't get it.

I don't hate all twee indie movies either. Juno seemed like it was trying way too hard.

That was my biggest problem with it. I hate when characters talk like real people don't talk in real life. Especially when it's a freaking teenager.
    I remember being a teenager, and no one I knew was that brilliant when it came to every day dialogue.
    I thought her parents were the funniest thing about that movie.

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by ola View Post
    ... but the dialogue was super distracting.
    though i quite enjoyed the film, i agree with ola.

the dialogue, while clever at times, didn't quite ring true for me which made it somewhat distracting.

it's not that i didn't enjoy that juno (and her friend as well) had her own linguistic style, and much of it was quite clever.

but that's just it, it seemed too clever to be the way someone would speak 24 hours a day, every day.

given some of the stress juno was under, it would seem more likely she'd periodically revert to talking like a regular person for a sentence or two.

perhaps diablo cody talks like that 24/7 but i didn't buy that juno would.

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

honest to blog?
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

Haha.

Yeah, the first twelve minutes or so are incredibly obnoxious, but the rest of the movie wasn't too bad. Definitely not my favorite film starring Ellen Page, but I didn't think it was that awful. Plus, the soundtrack is fantastic, IMO.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I loved Juno.

I can see why some people might be annoyed by her, but I wasn't. I actually know people who talk like Juno and that's before the film came out.

Believe it or not, some people really do talk like that. Some people automatically don't like the film because it was wildly popular. I truly believe that there's a whole section of people that will rebel against anything that is popular.

Gunslinger Apprentice theyspunaweb is on a distinguished road theyspunaweb's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Juno, it goes the same with me. I found it to be a little annoying because of the unrealistic-ness of the daiolouge too. Nobody would respond the way she did! I can't say nobody, but basically nobody. My boyfriend on the other hand loved the movie, it's one of his favorites.
    "The wise are not wise because they make no mistakes. They are wise because they correct their mistakes as soon as they recognize them."
    -Orson Scott Card

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I've just seen (500) Days of Summer at the cinema, which has in fact only been released in the UK today. Now, considering I quite liked The Final Destination, even I admit that my taste in films can be questionable sometimes, but...500 Days of Summer is so brilliant I'm not sure how to describe it.

There were just so many moments in the film that I couldn't help but think, "Too fucking true!", whether it's a laugh out loud moment or one that's just truly heartbreaking. I think the highest praise I can give it is Annie Hall for the 21st century, and considering that's one of my favourite films ever, that's saying something! One of the first films of 2009 I've truly enjoyed and not felt guilty afterwards!
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Gunslinger Apprentice theyspunaweb is on a distinguished road theyspunaweb's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I really want to see 500 days of summer, they are only playing it at one smaller, relatively hard-to-get-to theater, so hopefully I work something out.
    "The wise are not wise because they make no mistakes. They are wise because they correct their mistakes as soon as they recognize them."
    -Orson Scott Card

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Almost everyone that I've spoken to thats seen 500 Days of Summer has said the same, that its nothing short of brilliant. Unfortunately, by the time I decided I wanted to watch it in the theater it was too late - most of the cinemas around here had stopped showing it by then. Oh well, guess I'll just have to wait for the DVD.

Goldmember Melike will become famous soon enough Melike's Avatar

I wonder if anybody has seen The Oxford Murders(a movie between Seven, A Beautiful Mind and Pi; nothing original IMHO. ) and thought about Aronofsky's amazing Pi. Why do they need to repeat same things?

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I've never heard of it. Is it a recent film? And is it worth a watch, or should I just skip over it?

Goldmember Melike will become famous soon enough Melike's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    I've never heard of it. Is it a recent film? And is it worth a watch, or should I just skip over it?
    It is a 2008 movie. It is not so bad, but wait for nothing original. And there are some good quotes, especially the one in the end, rocks.

My Mood
    Gay

Pi is a wonderful film. One of my absolute favorite independent films... ever! It's great.

Went and saw Gamer today... I will regret this for years to come. It was horrible.

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by turtlex View Post
    Went and saw Gamer today... I will regret this for years to come. It was horrible.
    saw the trailer before basterds and laughed, a lot. too bad too because i like several of the people in it. in fairness though, i don't really play many non-sports video games, so i'm not really the target audience anyway.

Achin' to be Seymour_Glass is on a distinguished road Seymour_Glass's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

In all fairness, despite Michael C Hall's presence, I must say:
    Spoiler:
    WHAT THE FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCC CCCCCCKKKKKKKK!
    Big town's got its losers, small town's got its vices...

My Mood
    Gay

Quote Originally Posted by jayson View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by turtlex View Post
    saw the trailer before basterds and laughed, a lot. too bad too because i like several of the people in it. in fairness though, i don't really play many non-sports video games, so i'm not really the target audience anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seymour_Glass View Post
    In all fairness, despite Michael C Hall's presence, I must say:
    Spoiler:
    WHAT THE FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCC CCCCCCKKKKKKKK!
    I'm such a video game geek, I just had to check it out. God. It was so horrible. I mean... B.A.D. It was like all these little snippets of other movies, but not the best little snippets. It was part Running Man, part Strange Days, part of a million other ideas... and it didn't pull the best part of any of the movies they stole from.

Frankly - as bad as Gerard Butler was... his whole acting job was shooting a gun and grunting a lot, Michael C Hall was a joke. Sooo incredibly bad.

When the best part of a movie is Marilyn Manson's interesting coversong of Sweet Dreams ( are made of this ) ... you know you're in trouble!

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

Just watched "The English Surgeon" on P.O.V. last night and thought it was fantastic. Definitely one of the best documentaries I've seen this year.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I have watched a bunch of films in the last couple of weeks:

Frozen River - Very good film. Mellisa Leo is great. The directer really does a great job of capturing the world of the lower class.

The Grifters - I really liked The Grifters. Huston and Benning give amazing performances. Cusak is just as good. I'm a sucker for a good con film.

Max Payne - Another awful video game adaptation. Hollywood just can't seem to get those right.

Body of Lies - This movie got beaten up pretty bad by critics, but I actually thought it was pretty good. It shows war being fought very differently than what we normally see. I guess it shows war being fought 21st century style.

Thief - Michael Mann's first film and one of his best. James Caan is great as a thief looking for one more big score. There's a lot of themes here that Mann would later use again in films like Heat and Collateral.

If you're interested in reading more in depth reviews, you can go to my Rotten Tomatoes page:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/user/734977/reviews/

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

The Informant

Matt Damon proves once again that he is the most versatile actor in Hollywood. I'm not sure any other actor can play a psycho in The Talented Mr. Ripley, a butt kicking action hero in the Bourne trilogy, an all around good guy in the Oceans' trilogy and a villain playing both sides in The Departed.

In the Informant, he adds another character to his arsenal. Mark Whitacre, a white collar company man who gets caught up in corporate conspiracy. Or does he? Matt Damon plays Whitacre so perfectly you're never quite sure if Whitacre is a naive white collar schlub, a genius mastermind or just a guy who is seriously mentally disturbed. In fact, it could be a combination of all three.

Matt Damon's superb performance doesn't mean the Informant is a great film. For a film that's supposed to be a comedy, it never quite elicits more than a chuckle in a few scenes. This is kind of disturbing for the simple fact that The Informant is bursting at the seems with comedians/comedic actors.

Patton Oswalt, Joel McHale, Tony Hale, The Smothers Brothers, Melanie Lynskey, Paul F. Tompkins and many more I'm either forgetting or just didn't recognize.

I'm not sure I see the point of casting comedians if they are never allowed to say anything funny.

The Informant is a good film, jut not a great film. If it wasn't for Damon's performance, it would have been rated a lot lower. It's somewhat uneven and slow in parts. Its failure to provoke laughter is it's biggest problem.

I saw Zombie's Halloween 2 a few weeks back. I have to say I was slightly disappointed. I loved his take on the first one, but for this one, I just had a harder time getting into it. The first time he kinda followed the storyline of the original, but for this one he took it in his own direction. I have absolutely no problem with that, but there were a few things that bothered me.

The direction he took Laurie's character in just seemed a bit too extreme for me. I understand what he was going for, but I felt it would have been more effective had he done it in a more subtle way. Yes she was traumatized by the events of the first film, and is not the same person, but the semi-goth girl just seemed out of place to me.

He didn't disappoint with gore and violence. It was a typical Zombie film in that respect, but there was one scene in particular which I'm not sure why it was even in the film. I'm not sure, maybe he just wanted to up the death count or something but it did not fit with the flow of the rest of the film whatsoever. I'm really surprised it didn't end up on the cutting room floor.

He also populated the film with scenes of his wife, which I suppose I really shouldn't be surprised by. I liked the concept, but again felt he went over the top with them. He pretty much showed her every chance he got and then some. Her character made sense, especially tying into the end of the film, but we didn't need to see her every 5 min.

That being said, the ending was excellent. And as a stand alone film, it was an excellent horror film. I didn't hate it by any means, but I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as the first one. That one I absolutely loved. If you enjoy these types of movies I'd say to give it a shot.

Has anyone else seen this, and if so what did you think?

Now I have to go into a slight rant. It's a Rob Zombie horror film, and it has a rating for a reason. There's going to be alot of blood, violence, and nudity. That's to be expected coming from Zombie. Well in the theater there was one family that brought a little boy that had to of only been around 7-8. Then there was another group of people who not only brought two young girls again probably around 7-8, and a baby that had to of at least been 2. Am I just old fashioned, or does that seem inappropriate to anyone else? I was completely shocked that they would bring such young children to this type of film. And then to top it off, when we went to leave, the theater next door was showing Final Destination. It was already half over, but both families actually snuck into that film with their kids! What on earth is up with these parents. First you bring them to an extrememly graphic horror film (this was easily one of the bloodiest, goriest films I've ever seen), but then you sneak them into another film? I just couldn't get over that.
    Sorry, end of rant.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 117 of 267 FirstFirst ... 17 67 107 115 116 117 118 119 127 167 217 ... LastLast