Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 181 of 267 FirstFirst ... 81 131 171 179 180 181 182 183 191 231 ... LastLast
Results 4,501 to 4,525 of 6652

Thread: General Movie Discussion - **please mark spoilers**

Citizen of Gilead Roland of Gilead 33 will become famous soon enough Roland of Gilead 33's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

oh i know that which is why i kept the tv series part short. as for the Ninja turtles films i just got one question uh WHY? i loved the CGI film when i 1st saw it and i wanted that to get a sequel. but it unfortunally did not. i prolly at some point will see the new one but i really doubt it will be in the theatre

Goldmember mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I saw the original series growing up and when they made the live action versions i saw the first one in the theater....it was cool back then. the ones they are making now are just rehashing old stuff I think. I also like the CGI version they did a few years ago.

Does whatever a spiderman does.

Citizen of Gilead Roland of Gilead 33 will become famous soon enough Roland of Gilead 33's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

oh i agree 100% it's kinda like why are they re-telling Superman's story for the 1,0000000000000000000000000000000 time? we all know it by fucking heart by now. hell if i asked my 6 year old niece she can prolly recite it. well if not her than any 6 year old. i dunno if she's ever seen a superman film but either way you see my point.

now don't get me wrong i love superman movies. but do something original for a change instead of keep rehashing it. at least with the batman films those told one long story. and it made sense.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Roland of Gilead 33 View Post
    why are they re-telling Superman's story for the 1,0000000000000000000000000000000 time?
    A: $

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

It's a great year for the S.F. fan in you: Superman (if you don't get goosebumps during previews, you're not human (kidding. maybe not, dunno.) I could watch it on repeat for an hour), Star Trek and Pacific Rim. There was also Dredd. Heck, even Oblivion was a perfectly servicable pulpy S.F. flick. It did what pulp S.F. does-entertains, has great visuals and then you forget about it.

Rabid Billybumbler fearless-freak will become famous soon enough fearless-freak will become famous soon enough fearless-freak's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Riddick trailer is online

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Roland of Gilead 33 View Post
    why are they re-telling Superman's story for the 1,0000000000000000000000000000000 time?
    A: $
    Cynical, but not untrue

Apart from the obvious reason^, super heroes are icons that thrive on interpretations that mirror the times they're in. From the campy, acid dropper friendly vibes of the 60's Batman, to Tim Burton's dark Batman echoing the arrival of grimy titles like The Dark Knight Returns, to Nolan's recent trilogy which depicted Batman in an age of advanced technology. I know Nolan has had a very intimate involvement in Snyder's Superman reboot so I'm excited to see how he relates the dynamics of Supes existence in a mortal word with real world applications.

Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post
    It's a great year for the S.F. fan in you: Superman (if you don't get goosebumps during previews, you're not human (kidding. maybe not, dunno.) I could watch it on repeat for an hour), Star Trek and Pacific Rim. There was also Dredd. Heck, even Oblivion was a perfectly servicable pulpy S.F. flick. It did what pulp S.F. does-entertains, has great visuals and then you forget about it.
    Absolutely. A fantastic year for sci-fi fans.

Quote Originally Posted by fearless-freak View Post
    Riddick trailer is online
    I saw that! I need to watch the second one, never got around to it. How does it stack up against the first?

Rabid Billybumbler fearless-freak will become famous soon enough fearless-freak will become famous soon enough fearless-freak's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

in my opinion the second riddick film falls into the sequel catergory

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Our culture is clearly just going to hell.
    Science fiction used to mean something.
    Now get off my lawn.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Now get off my lawn.
    I think it's because at this point, everything has been done and redone and rehashed to hell.

Check this out :

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2013/04/1...-still-matter/

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Pfft. It's true that the old ideas have been over-used, but I never bought the argument that there are no new ideas; that's only what the uncreative conclude. Sci-fi film never was as good as the literature, anyway, really. Mostly, I don't agree with that writer's approach. He's right about Beyond Thunderdome and about Waterworld... kind of. They just stunk because they're phoney and meaningless flicks from shallow, pretentious creators. But I respect you looking into the subject, tracking down such articles and giving it thought. Have you seen Matinee (Joe Dante, 1993)?

Citizen of Gilead Empath of the White is on a distinguished road Empath of the White's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    Now get off my lawn.
    I think it's because at this point, everything has been done and redone and rehashed to hell.

Check this out :

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2013/04/1...-still-matter/

Has there been a sci-fi film that focuses on how the characters cope with the decay of a futuristic society? I read a book called A Cure for Cancer that would make an excellent sci-fi film. It is about the Vietnam War engulfing the whole of a futuristic Europe. America sends all its forces over to Europe. We follow around Jerry Cornelius, who is really more a villain than a hero; he is just a lesser villain than his nemesis, a corrupt Bishop.

To spare everyone the details, the book basically looks at what the world would do in such a situation and how it affects the characters. I think this is still viable; less focus on the futuristic trappings and more on the humans who're reacting to them.

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Now get off my lawn.
    Hey, it still does, if you know where to look. Why do you think I read Judge Dredd, and indeed 2000AD in general? Yes, the violence and action is awesome, but it's satire and dark reflection of modern life as well as showing where our society could be heading is what I really enjoy about it. That, plus it's a great reminder of what a pair of writers and artists can do and how effective a story can be even when those writers are just having fun with the story and that story's 6-12 pages long. That shit seriously inspires me to write scifi more than anything else I've read.

Oh, and feev: compared to Pitch Black, overall, Chronicles sucked. I loved Pitch Black, and honestly, I may love the video game Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay even more (seriously, it's one of the only games based on a film that wasn't just leagues better than the film it was marketed for, but was a pretty solid game in its own right), but with Chronicles of Riddick, they tried to take this seriously cool character and give him an epic story, and it just didn't work. You've got this "evil empire" trying to take over the universe, but you just can't find yourself caring about any of it. Taking it down from an R to a PG-13 for the sequel didn't help. The middle part, where everything is stripped back to what Riddick does best (ie ending up somewhere that's impossible to escape from and, well, you know, escaping), that I liked the most. But the huge sprawling epic mess around it? Notsomuch. If you are going to watch it, you'll probably get a little more satisfaction if you watch the Director's Cut right after completing Butcher Bay, as there's a few tiny things in that game that do have greater significance in the Director's Cut, specifically.

As for the new Riddick film...I'm in 2 minds about that. On the one hand, I'm glad they've stripped back, they've gone for the R-rating again like Pitch Black did and seemed to have kept the story simple again...but on the other hand, I was hoping for something a little more, well, original. Not that Pitch Black was original, but come on: bounty hunters arrive on dangerous planet, they capture Riddick, then they get attacked and of course, they need Riddick's help. Pitch Black didn't have the exact same plot (they weren't all bounty hunters, which I liked even more,) but it's pretty bloody close. Now hopefully, the trailer is just misleading and there is actually more to it than that, and anyway, more than anything else, it's not the idea that's important, it's the execution, at least in the case of what made Pitch Black so enjoyable. Will I see it? Probably. I'm gonna wait nearer to the release date and look out for reviews. If I hear comparisons to Pitch Black in terms of quality at least, then I'll definitely see it.
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Pitch Black was fairly good as slice-of-life speculative fiction made just to tell a story rather than tackle grand ambitions. A bit too gimmicky and hyperactive, but refreshing compared with sprawling franchises set up to justify merchandising. Milking it with a series therefore defeats what small value it possessed.
    The point about contemporary culture I (half-jokingly) made in reference to American movies is not detracted just on account of a few good British comics.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

honestly i don't mind 'water world' it's no classic by any means but i was working at a theatre at the time it came out and i took my dad to go and see it and we got in free i believe. so i had a good time with it. and dennis hopper was badass in it. also i'd rather what that anytime over 'the postman' which is just fucking awful. and i agree beyond thunderdome is a weak film. i never cared for that one.

also "Matinee' is a great film. i love Joe Dante he is easily one of my favorite directors of all time. as for waterworld don't get me wrong it's got plenty of problems but it's a fun little film. and there are some films i enjoy that were flops and people hate that i enjoy. and there are some that were hits and i dunno why cause they were so fucking awful.

one of my favorite Roger Corman films is "Rock & Roll HIgh School' that is indeed a classic. but some people hate the sequel. and yes it's bad but it's another fun film that you watch cause of how bad it is. it's got plenty of faults as well. and why was it even made? i have no idea? but the actress that plays Ms Toger is one of my favorites as well .

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

True; compared to The Postman. Waterworld is not really bad.
    But hardly any movie is bad when compared to The Postman!

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

true but i was thinking more so of another Kevin Costner film that is bad and that's the 1st one that came to mind. i think i heard that the work print for waterworld is suppose to be a great cut of the film. but i've never seen it so i dunno if this is true or not.

Little Bird Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Just watched Wreck-It Ralph... I loved it. Although obviously the video game jokes were amazing, the one that really got us was the Wizard of Oz/Oreo joke. I ALWAYS thought they were saying that when I was a kid, and so did my mom, so it was great to see we weren't alone there. Paperman was also really cute.
    A lady always remembers her courtesies.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I haven't seen the movie, but I loved Paperman.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

As a diehard gamer I'm ashamed to admit I haven't seen that yet. I'll get around to it though. That therapy session scene alone looks worth the price of admission.

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Wow - Man of Steel is getting a lot of mixed reviews! I'm still kinda eager to see it, but I was expecting it to do better. Not Dark Knight Trilogy better, but better than its doing!

- Melike

Maerlyn's Imp allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte's Avatar

My Mood
    Confused

I heard the same thing. I am disappointed because it finally looks like they made this right. Superman gets to use his true powers and fight people like himself. They seem to have done it right and the director has done an amazing job with Batman and Inception. I am seeing it Sunday regardless if everyone says it is crap.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by allasorte View Post
    I heard the same thing. I am disappointed because it finally looks like they made this right. Superman gets to use his true powers and fight people like himself. They seem to have done it right and the director has done an amazing job with Batman and Inception. I am seeing it Sunday regardless if everyone says it is crap.
    Ah, that's probably the problem - Nolan's only producing this one, it's zack Snyder who's directing. Still, i've enjoyed his stuff on 300 and watchmen, and i thought nolan may have given him some nice direction to take the film in. Well, like you I'm still gonna check it out for myself, anyway.

- Melike

Goldmember mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

finally got to watch Dredd....That was an awesome movie...at least I thought it was. would have liked to have seen it in the theater...the 'slo-mo' scenes were cool.

Does whatever a spiderman does.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by mystima View Post
    finally got to watch Dredd....That was an awesome movie...at least I thought it was. would have liked to have seen it in the theater...the 'slo-mo' scenes were cool.
    Glad you enjoyed it, mystima. Actually saw it 3 times at the cinema, myself, and you're right, the slo-mo scenes were definitely cool. Really do hope that a sequel does get made (as impossible as that sounds, considering the profit it made box office wise) and more of the comic mythology is allowed to be explored.

- Melike

+ Reply to Thread
Page 181 of 267 FirstFirst ... 81 131 171 179 180 181 182 183 191 231 ... LastLast