Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 246 of 266 FirstFirst ... 146 196 236 244 245 246 247 248 256 ... LastLast
Results 6,126 to 6,150 of 6646

Thread: General Movie Discussion - **please mark spoilers**

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

So this is a thing

I kind of hate how this classic film with so much great work is just been reduced to "IT'S RACIST". It's from the freaking 30s when the world was a far, far more racist place. I'm not sure why we're so hellbent on erasing a film like this rather than using it to compare times and attitudes and eras for purposes of learning and reflection. It might actually help grant youth some perspective on how actual depictions of race 80 years ago versus how we depict race now. There's a reason our biggest concern in film in terms of race is just representation, not having an Academy Award winning character literally named Mammy. I think it's also important to note that despite how racist the films content may be now, the film itself was actually quite important for black people in film and the fascinating tale of the times that was Hattie MacDonald (someone really should make a biopic about her as it's one I would totally want to watch). There is so much to learn socially from Gone With the Wind from the film itself, to how it was received, to the treatment of MacDaniel that burying or reducing it to some just an old problematic film is a travesty imo.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

I keep seeing the trailer for this on FB and it looks hilarious. There are a handful of clips on Youtube but it looks like you have to download their app to see the whole thing.

https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/quibi-...off-rob-reiner
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Not real sure where to put this but I thought this was pretty cool. There's also a second trailer out for the movie.

Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

With the Emmys going virtual this year, what do you guys think about the Oscars?
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    With the Emmys going virtual this year, what do you guys think about the Oscars?
    The problem with the Oscars is there aren't any films! I don't want to see Da 5 Bloods win everything. A terrible film that people seem to love for some reason.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, I know they postponed it but you're right. There's really no films regardless. One thing I was thinking was what if this year (if the movie theater shutdowns last through Oscar season) they do away with a traditional awardsy Oscars and dedicate 100% of the show to honoring movies and celebrating the moviegoing experience. They could have comedic bits, performances (pre-recorded or live), the film montages we all love, and all the other good movie stuff that ends up amounting to less than 30 minutes of the show's runtime. I'd love that.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, I know they postponed it but you're right. There's really no films regardless. One thing I was thinking was what if this year (if the movie theater shutdowns last through Oscar season) they do away with a traditional awardsy Oscars and dedicate 100% of the show to honoring movies and celebrating the moviegoing experience. They could have comedic bits, performances (pre-recorded or live), the film montages we all love, and all the other good movie stuff that ends up amounting to less than 30 minutes of the show's runtime. I'd love that.
    I'd watch that! I don't know how many other people would care, but it would be cool. Last summer one of the networks did a great job with movies of the decade. They were fantastic.

Country
    Country Flag

In two days it will be six months exactly since I've been to the movies.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

The Tax Collector currently sitting at %20 on RT. Ouch. Sorry Shia, I was really rooting for you this time

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_tax_collector

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Heather it seems to me that I have heard you say you didn't enjoy mother!

bears still can't get over the shock!

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Heather it seems to me that I have heard you say you didn't enjoy mother!

bears still can't get over the shock!
    It's true. So sorry. Maybe one day I'll give it another shot. I do love most of his other films, so it was a disappointment to me as well.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Country
    Country Flag

Mother was one of the most WTF movie watching experiences of my life.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Mother was one of the most WTF movie watching experiences of my life.
    Yeah, I had no clue what was going on.

Country
    Country Flag

Me either. I had to Google "explainer" articles and videos after I got out of the theater. Some of it made sense, but there's no way I would've come up with those explanations/symbolism on my own.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Me either. I had to Google "explainer" articles and videos after I got out of the theater. Some of it made sense, but there's no way I would've come up with those explanations/symbolism on my own.
    Me too!

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Mother! is such a fever dream. While I was off in the end, I had a pretty good theory going that the film was an alegory for the creative process and that we were seeing it through the eyes of a writer. In many ways, I wasn't far off with the creator theory.

It's kind of interesting that Darren Aronofsky is an Athiest because he certainly loves making movies about the Bible (he also directed Noah).

Country
    Country Flag

My problem was that the whole movie and plot (if you could call it that) was in service of the allegory of creation. Take that away and there's no story. The characters should heighten the metaphor, but the ones in Mother are really just pieces for Aronofsky to manipulate.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

My problem was that the whole movie and plot (if you could call it that) was in service of the allegory of creation. Take that away and there's no story. The characters should heighten the metaphor, but the ones in Mother are really just pieces for Aronofsky to manipulate.
    Yeah, no argument here. That was also my main issue with the film.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

JUST GOT MY TICKETS TO IMAX TENET. Next Thursday! Wed was sold out!!!!!!! AND FAST!!!
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    JUST GOT MY TICKETS TO IMAX TENET. Next Thursday! Wed was sold out!!!!!!! AND FAST!!!
    I'm genuinely happy for you.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm peanut butter and jealous, but I'm also very happy for you. Hopefully it lives up to that Nolan legacy.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    When you see it, even if you think it's the best movie since the invention of cinema, you better not hype it up and get my expectations all high (not that I plan on being able to see it any time soon).
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I’ll give you my honest opinion guys. I’m worried it may be difficult to understand by that “word” that’s out there. Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

+ Reply to Thread
Page 246 of 266 FirstFirst ... 146 196 236 244 245 246 247 248 256 ... LastLast