Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
Two of my most anticipated films of the year (Nope, The Northman) by two very exciting directors (Peele, Eggers) turned out to be somewhat disappointing for me. It's interesting that both films were the 3rd film by each director. Has me even more interested in Ari Aster's 3rd film.

To take it a step further, Damien Chazzelle's 3rd film First Man was also a disappointment for me after his first two fantastic features Whiplash and La La Land.
I might be on to something here. I just thought of another disappointing 3rd effort by a director that has had a fantastic start to his career and that is Alex Garland's Men. I have yet to see it, but I know it has divided most people, including our very own Ricky. Garland burst on the scene with Ex Machina and his second showing Annihilation was a strong effort as well.
Don't forget Blomkamp. District 9 > Elysium > Chappie.

I don't think I agree with NOPE being disappointing. I actually really, really enjoyed it. It's not Get Out, but it's definitely a step up over US.

All eyes on Ari Aster. That's his movie with Phoenix, right? Sounds like a rock solid collaboration.
Oh, good catch on Blomkamp.

I will have to watch Nope again, but I think it's a considerable step down from US, which I enjoyed, even more, the second time.