Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 34 of 267 FirstFirst ... 24 32 33 34 35 36 44 84 134 ... LastLast

Thread: General Movie Discussion - **please mark spoilers**

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I love them both. What makes them both so good is they off two alternating view points. Days was horrific in awaking, with Jim, in the aftermath of the outbreak, dealing with remants of the pure and the infected. What made that movie so horrific was knowing nothing and dealing with characters we don't meet until after this. Who they were before is not important, but who they have became. Jim is pure when we first see him, representing someone before Rage spread and, you see by the end, he's been so twisted by his experience
    Spoiler:
    that Selena cannot discern Jim from the infected

28 Days is the superior film. From the directing to the acting to the writing it was a combination that doesn't happen in horror, if only a couple times.

In 28 Days Later we catch but a glimpse of the infected, leaving only with stories to fill it in. Weeks gives us a chance to see how quick it actually spreads. The way in a matter of moments it was all over and lost. The opening scene in Weeks was more intense than anything Days offered, though the tunnel scene in Days is great. The acting is not as good, though Carlyle was great and the supporting cast were good, especially in comparison to most horror/action movies. I loved the action sequences in the movie and as a zombie movie (though not classic zombies) it is really good. I loved the ending (better ending than Days) and am anxously awaiting the next in the series.

Still the best zombie movie franchise yet.

Gunslinger Apprentice To The Dark Tower Came is on a distinguished road To The Dark Tower Came's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm looking forward to Cloverfield as well. A friend and I were watching the "more revealing trailer" (yeah, right), and when they give that very brief glimpse of the monster going behind the building, we both immediately asked, "Gamera?" and cracked up laughing.

Lordy, let's hope good ol' JJ is a bit better than to borrow that idea...heh.
    "...quiet as despair, I turn’d from him..."

Posts made by user To The Dark Tower Came
    are his opinion. Any feelings of anger, angst,
    or weltsmertz please see a licensed mental
    health professional immediately.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Do you have a link to that trailer. I think the only one I saw was the teaser one that was released this summer.

Gunslinger Apprentice To The Dark Tower Came is on a distinguished road To The Dark Tower Came's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    Do you have a link to that trailer. I think the only one I saw was the teaser one that was released this summer.
    Here's the Apple trailer http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramo...eld/large.html

Quicktime required. You can also search YouTube for it, but the Apple one is best quality I've found as-so-far.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

thanks, I do remember seeing that one now.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Yanked the words right out of my mouth, Mattrick!

Also, it is rumored that Boyle will return to direct the third and final film.

World Leader Pretend Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    I saw I Am Legend tonight, I really enjoyed it. It was much much more emotional than I thought it would be from the previews.
    As a movie, I liked it.
    As an adaptation of the book, it sucks ass.
    They completely ruined the ending(actually the entire 2nd half) and ignored major plotlines that made the book the classic that it is. Nearly everything that struck me as a very powerful moment in the book was removed or changed so heavily (fate of his family), that for me it ended up being a vaguely similar story with the same name.

The book is very psychological, so not all of it would transfer to a film, but much of it would have been very very effective and they just ignored it. What a let down.
    Now I have to try and think of it as not even being related to the book...

Where did you hear that? That's great news if it's true because the second film would have been a lot better if he was behind it. I had no idea there was even talk of doing a third.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Scoogs View Post
    As a movie, I liked it.
    They completely ruined the ending(actually the entire 2nd half) and ignored major plotlines that made the book the classic that it is. Nearly everything that struck me as a very powerful moment in the book was removed or changed so heavily (fate of his family), that for me it ended up being a vaguely similar story with the same name.

The book is very psychological, so not all of it would transfer to a film, but much of it would have been very very effective and they just ignored it. What a let down.
    That's pretty much happened to me with every book I've liked that's been made into a movie. I haven't seen I am Legend yet, and it's one of those I'll wait for PPV, or the DVD to come up for rent. There's a cavalcade of movies that could be rattled off where the movie was just a "good movie" if you didn't know it came from a book.

The Lord of the Rings movies come to mind. Good movies, beautifully filmed, well acted, special effects bonanza, but it would be hard to craft movies (even giving three, three hour films) that could do the books justice. While I haven't read the Legend books, I would guess the same applies. The need to make a mass-appeal movie means the need to pick the original material apart.

As a fan of comic books, also, it's a double whammy. Every time something comes to the big screen that I've read issue after issue of, I am almost always exiting the theater with "but why didn't they just..."

It's hard to be a fan of something and see it "made flesh", because we're already invested. And the people making the film are not-so-much. They have to make moola for the studio.

World Leader Pretend Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Good points, all very true.
    I was hopeful, with Legend only being about 180 pages long, that they would be able to translate just about everything with relative ease and not really need to make many changes. I forgot that this is Hollywood and their writers/executives always think they know better than the original authors.

Still, it is worth seeing and isn't a bad movie by any means.

Citizen of Gilead TerribleT is on a distinguished road TerribleT's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by To The Dark Tower Came View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoogs View Post
    As a movie, I liked it.

That's pretty much happened to me with every book I've liked that's been made into a movie. I haven't seen I am Legend yet, and it's one of those I'll wait for PPV, or the DVD to come up for rent. There's a cavalcade of movies that could be rattled off where the movie was just a "good movie" if you didn't know it came from a book.

The Lord of the Rings movies come to mind. Good movies, beautifully filmed, well acted, special effects bonanza, but it would be hard to craft movies (even giving three, three hour films) that could do the books justice. While I haven't read the Legend books, I would guess the same applies. The need to make a mass-appeal movie means the need to pick the original material apart.

As a fan of comic books, also, it's a double whammy. Every time something comes to the big screen that I've read issue after issue of, I am almost always exiting the theater with "but why didn't they just..."

It's hard to be a fan of something and see it "made flesh", because we're already invested. And the people making the film are not-so-much. They have to make moola for the studio.
    I have kinda learned to just appreciate each for their own medium. Books are just different than movies. I felt that Jurassic Park was an incredible movie, but it didn't carry even a small amount of the complexity of the book. So I decided to just like it for what it was, a really great movie. I have not read I Am Legend, but will probably get it on my list now. I loved the movie, and sometimes movies prompt people to read books they might not have in the first place.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    Yanked the words right out of my mouth, Mattrick!

Also, it is rumored that Boyle will return to direct the third and final film.

Let's hope Garland is writing it, also. They were both on hand with film two so this doesn't surprise me very much. I wonder where the next one will take place.

Country
    Country Flag

Are the movies 28 days later, and 28 weeks later related to eachother in any way? If this is addressed earlier in the thread, I apologize, I've not really been reading the thread. I haven't seen either movie, and am concerned about spoilers. I have them both in my Netflix que, do they need to be viewd in any order, if they are related to eachother?
    Thanks!!!!!

28 weeks later is a sequel to 28 days later. I would definately view them in order, but if you were only going to see, I would definately go with days. In my opinion it is far superior to weeks.

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

I didn't like the ending to 28 weeks later as much as the ending to 28 days later...

TOTP WOOT! WOOT!

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Come on hitchiker! No way that the ending to Days is better.
    Spoiler:
    Jim and co being happy and spreading a signal out.
    compared to
    Spoiler:
    Nice, subtle showing of the rage spreading in the chopper and going out from then on.
    If you're thinking final sequence (army guys in Days) then yes, it is better. But for the actual end, Weeks wins.

Along the Path of the Beam Vasagi is on a distinguished road Vasagi's Avatar

Where did you hear that? That's great news if it's true because the second film would have been a lot better if he was behind it. I had no idea there was even talk of doing a third.
    28 Months Later?

thanks for the link, could be interesting

Country
    Country Flag

I watched 28 Days last night...interesting movie. I'm going to get 28 Weeks next.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

The first 10 minutes of Weeks is fucking insane!

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Vasagi View Post
    28 Months Later?
    I guess after that is 28 Years Later.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I seriously doubt Boyle will name the third installment 28 Months Later, or even set the story for the third film 28 months later for that matter. In Weeks it is revealed that the timeframe of the virus breaking out and the time that the last infected died of starvation is only a few weeks. There would be no way to justify the idea of the infected still being alive after 28 m onths...unless they decided to start taking smaller bites

Using the ending to Weeks as a starting point, I think the most likely/logical title and way to base the story of the third film is by using the header

Spoiler:
    Another 28 Days.

-Fin

Psychopath William50 is on a distinguished road William50's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

What's next, 28 years later? Or 28 centuries?
    I have no faith in human perfectability. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active - not more happy - nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. - Edgar Allan Poe

Bunch together a group of people deliberately chosen for strong religious feelings, and you have a practical guarantee of dark morbidities expressed in crime, perversion, and insanity. - H.P. Lovecraft

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

*see above post*

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm sorry you only ruled out 28 months later in that post.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 34 of 267 FirstFirst ... 24 32 33 34 35 36 44 84 134 ... LastLast