Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 255 of 266 FirstFirst ... 155 205 245 253 254 255 256 257 265 ... LastLast
Results 6,351 to 6,375 of 6642

Thread: General Movie Discussion - **please mark spoilers**

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    Dropping that King knowledge!

I would love to see an adaptation of The Long Walk. Also, I don't remember the Rose Red adaptation at all.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Traveler MisterNoobnoob will become famous soon enough MisterNoobnoob will become famous soon enough

Country
    Country Flag

One of the worst movies in ages - imo - It just tries way to much and cant deliver, in every aspect. poor manus. poor acting, poor character building, poor fight scenes, poor well everyting just poor - if I was to rate it up to 6 stars, i would give it 1,5 star ---- sad when you feel you wasted hours watching something that did not give you any joy at all....

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

So, 2022 Oscar thread time?

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I think it's still a bit too early! I feel like most of the films that will get Oscar attention haven't even been nominated yet.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Country
    Country Flag

Country
    Country Flag

Very interestingly derived list:

https://letterboxd.com/prof_ratigan/...s-of-all-time/
    There are many statistically-minded lists available. Generally, they are either based on averages or cumulative presence in lists. This list attempts to bring the two together, with a composite score that uses Letterboxd, IMDb, Metacritic, and Rotten Tomatoes scores as well as a quantification of the movies' presence on several lists (enumerated below). I would describe the results as a consensus opinion of the films someone "should" see.

I started with a list of about 30k titles gleaned from many Letterboxd lists, IMDb data, and other sources and crunched the numbers. I limited composite scores to those above 500 IMDb votes. Votes were normalized against the maximum votes on that website to account for the differing traffic, so the Highest Voted movie would be a 1.00 and the lowest 0.01. I weighted the differing website rating according to my own sense of importance with Letterboxd about 10x Rotten Tomatoes and Metacritic about half of IMDb. I also included weighting by year to account for the significant recency bias in online vote tallies. That weight was Votes x (1+((2000-Year)/100).

The way that I quantified movies on lists like Sight & Sound was to give those films a sort of fictional rating as if it were from IMDb. So, for instance, Vertigo, at #1 on Sight & Sound's Top 250 got 100, Citizen Kane got 99.96. Lists where there was no ranking all received 100. Sight and Sound, Palme D'or, and Oscar Winners received the greatest weight, which was about 10x a Oscar nomination outside Best Picture and about twice the Golden Bear or AFI Top 100.
    There is also a 5,000 version: https://letterboxd.com/prof_ratigan/...s-of-all-time/

Country
    Country Flag

Country
    Country Flag

Country
    Country Flag

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

General movie question about IMAX screens snd projectors:

A new AMC opened near us and we have seen two movies there - one IMAX and one not. During the IMAX movie - Dune - I noticed a strange multicolored moire-like effect in the image, particularly noticeable during scenes that were light and monochrome. I then realize the effect was there all the time, it was just less noticeable in other scenes.

I haven’t had a lot of experience with seeing movies in IMAX, but given how IMAX is supposed to be have amazing picture quality, I assume this isn’t normal? Does anyone know what this effect might have been? Was the projector not calibrated or focused correctly? Was it an effect of the screen it was being projected onto?

HBJ
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven (Zafon)
    Ilium (Simmons)

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm not sure what you were experiencing, but what AMC is branding as IMAX isn't true IMAX.

Real IMAX is typically displayed in 70 mm film. It's become a selling point for AMC, but in all honesty, the difference between Dune in IMAX and Digital is almost nothing. IMAX might have better sound in some cases. IMAX that displays something other than 70 mm film is called "LieMax."

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Not only is Imax 70 MM film, it's a special type that is much larger than regular 70 MM:

IMAX technology uses the largest commercial film format in motion picture history -- 70mm, 15-perforation -- three times the size of regular 70mm, and ten times the size of conventional 35mm which you would see in a normal movie theatre.

https://ewh.ieee.org/reg/7/millennium/imax/imax_technical.html

Country
    Country Flag

Unfortunately there aren’t that many true IMAX screens around. The closest to me is probably the one in New York City and I’m not going there every time I want to watch a movie when my local AMC is twenty minutes away. Sure it’s not real IMAX but it’s still the largest screen around and the best sound. I’ve also enjoyed AMC’s Dolby Cinema, but that tends to be a smaller screen.

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    I'm not sure what you were experiencing, but what AMC is branding as IMAX isn't true IMAX.
    It looks a bit like this:

https://build.com.au/files/images/moire1.jpg

It’s as if there were film grain, but instead of being random, individual pixels of the same color were arranged in concentric circles. As I say, really noticeable in the desert scenes when there’s lots of featureless space on the screen, but it was there all the time.

It’s like the pixelation of the image was interacting with the texture of the screen it was projected on, causing an interference pattern. If that’s the case, I’m stunned that a movie theater would not try to resolve this issue.
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven (Zafon)
    Ilium (Simmons)

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Hunchback Jack View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    It looks a bit like this:

https://build.com.au/files/images/moire1.jpg

It’s as if there were film grain, but instead of being random, individual pixels of the same color were arranged in concentric circles. As I say, really noticeable in the desert scenes when there’s lots of featureless space on the screen, but it was there all the time.

It’s like the pixelation of the image was interacting with the texture of the screen it was projected on, causing an interference pattern. If that’s the case, I’m stunned that a movie theater would not try to resolve this issue.
    That looks like laticing to me. My guess is they need to recalibrate their projector or something.

I have a museum about an hour away from me that has a real IMAX theater. A few years ago, we just happened to take my godson there to see the animals etc. It just so happened they were playing Dunkirk. I was dying to see it. We waited around all day. My mom and sister were kind enough to agree to occupy my godson while I went to see the movie. Alas, they had a power outage and had to cancel the showing. I'm still bummed about it today.

Country
    Country Flag

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Lost me with Disney.

Honky Mahfah MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Cool

I think the the Regal theater near me has true IMAX. They re-did a lot of their theaters and they advertise IMAX (I know it could still be Lie-Max), ScreenX (which I have seen and it was sort of cool), RPX, and 4DX. I have not been in the last two.
    I do like the Dolby Cinemas though at AMC. And I know they re did the IMAX theater. That theater was really good. It was probably Lie-max but the screen seemed bigger. But both of the theaters near me have stepped up their game for sure.

Country
    Country Flag

Country
    Country Flag

https://twitter.com/MikeJudge/status...62912113508352
    Beavis and Butt-Head will be returning this year with a brand new movie and more on Paramount+. No exact date yet, but soon. They need some time to get back in shape.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Country
    Country Flag

Looks like it will be another good year! And I’m sure many surprises await us!

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    Looks like it will be another good year! And I’m sure many surprises await us!
    It's always so exciting to see films that I wasn't aware of pop up as the year goes on. I have to say, there are quite a few big directors that are releasing a film this year.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 255 of 266 FirstFirst ... 155 205 245 253 254 255 256 257 265 ... LastLast