Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Yoopers Unite

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Default Yoopers Unite

I thought I would make a thread for us rare, the few, the people who live in the U.P. of Michigan. To educate and others and to selflessly share the beauty and grandeur of our fair state.

According to Wikipedia:
    The Upper Peninsula of Michigan is the northern of the two major land masses that comprise the U.S. state of Michigan. It is commonly referred to as the Upper Peninsula, the U.P., or Upper Michigan. More casually it is known as the land "above the Bridge" (above the Mackinac Bridge linking the two peninsulas). It is bounded on the north by Lake Superior, on the east by the St. Mary's River, on the south by Lake Michigan and Lake Huron, and on the west by Wisconsin.

The Upper Peninsula contains almost one-third of the land area of Michigan but just three percent of the total population. Residents are frequently called Yoopers (derived from "U.P.-ers") and have a strong regional identity. It includes the only counties in the United States where a plurality of residents claim Finnish ancestry. The peninsula's largest cities are Marquette, Escanaba, Sault Ste Marie, Menominee, and Iron Mountain.*The land and climate are not very suitable for agriculture. The economy has been based on logging and mining. Most mines have closed since the "golden age" from 1890 to 1920, and the land is heavily forested. Logging remains a major industry."

*Iron Mountain is Kingsford's twin city. For some reason they count them as just one city sometimes. Probably because we used to be small enough that we only had one zip code for the two of us. That changed several years ago but the world still hasn't gotten over it.

To start this celebration out right though, I thought we would begin with a song! I made a song to the tune of "Ohio (Come Back to Texas)" and it is called "Come Back to Kingsford"... so here we go!

He said he needed a break
    A little time to think
    But then he went to Houston
    With some gal named Rooster
    That he met at the bank

There's nothing wrong with the south now
    Except the bugs and the heat
    I really like NASA
    And I'd love to see the Dallas Cowboys compete

So when you're done doing whatever
    And when you're through screwing whoever
    Dickinson County will be right here waiting for you....

Come back to Kingsford
    Its just not the same since you went away
    Before you get an accent
    And forget about the Wolverine State
    There's a seat for you at the flivver game
    And we can go watch the sweet bat cave
    Besides the Mexican food sucks more than here anyway

I think I made a mistake
    Its not that easy to take
    He went to make a deposit
    Then he cleaned out his closet
    Guess I'll sit here and wait

For him to come back home (I'd wish you come back home)
    It shouldn't take very long (so long so long)
    I bet he misses the snow now
    And all of the milk cows but I could be wrong

So when you're done doing whatever
    And when you're through screwing whoever
    Dickinson County will be right here waiting for you....

Come back to Kingsford
    I bet you missed your exit
    And drove right through the the Wolverine State
    And I've got every slow dance saved

Da Yoopers want you back
    J. C. Penney's wants you back
    Monette's wants you back
    And the Flivvers want you back
    Trico wants you back
    And BK wants you back

I got a premonition
    I'm taking a petition
    And the U. P.'s gonna sign

Come back to Kingsford
    Before you get an accent

Come back to Kingsford
    Before you get an accent

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

As an LP (Saginaw) girl, I have to point and laugh:

YOOPER!!!!! AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

just kidding

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

At least you've heard of the UP unlike SOME people!

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

True. Do you make the top half of the map with your other hand? I do.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

My Mood
    Worried

Yes! The scarf and the mitten!!!

And I diagram where on the scarf we live all the time to my southern friends...

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Thought so.

My Mood
    Worried

I think it's funny that hardly anyone will know what we're talking about..

Michigan seems like a dream to me now...

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

...it took me four days to hitchhike from Saginaw....

My Mood
    Worried

I wonder if it would take me 4 days to hitchhike to Saginaw...

what a vacation THAT would be...

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

No no, you don't want to hitchhike to Saginaw, you want to hitchhike away from Saginaw.

My Mood
    Worried

So would it take you 4 days to hitchhiker to here?

Because that's why I would hitchhiker to Saginaw is to see you...

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

You'd have to hitchhike a lot farther than that. I live in Colorado now.

My Mood
    Worried

So then I can see the Stargate and Boulder and meet Mother Abigail and see you.......

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Exactly. And Cheyenne Mountain, if you're a Wargames fan.

Oh, and the Stanley Hotel!

- razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough

LadyHitchhiker, since most of my novel is to take place in the upper peninsula of Michigan (unless i am unable to gather suitable information), would you mind is i ask you some questions?

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

So... people actually live in Michigan on purpose!!??!!
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Banned The Lady of Shadows is on a distinguished road

i know, i was shocked (and appalled) as well.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    So... people actually live in Michigan on purpose!!??!!
    No. People escape Michigan on purpose.

My Mood
    Worried

Absolutely not, Razz; I would love to help you!

And for your comment Jon, I've been to most of the states, and this is my favorite.

As for escaping Michigan, I escaped and lived in Mississippi for 2 years. It was one of the stupidest mistakes I ever made, but it made me appreciate what I had left behind, and I ended up with the coolest cat ever because of it...

sometimes you have to leave home to find home..

And besides, the U.P. is VERY different from the lower peninsula; for some reason it's almost like another country. And this opinion is held by the trolls (the people who live below the bridge in the lower peninsula) also. Why, just the other day, a lady strolled in asking about Tim Russert's book. I said, "well ma'am, we have a list; we can put your name on it, but right now we're all out." And to this she said, "oh how quaint. I just was SURE that no one from the U.P. who have even heard of Tim Russert." It took all of me not to tell her that the parking spots out front were for tourists in cars and that our sled dogs are parked in the back.

People still think we travel by sled dog and that we don't have electricity. People who live downstate from us!!! People in our very own state!!!

Palaver Castle Chef mia/susannah is on a distinguished road mia/susannah's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I have never been to Michigan. One day when I am rich I want to visit all 50 states. As far as home is. I live in New York but Georgia is my home state where I was raised and will always be

My Mood
    Worried

My mom's from Georgia. I was just in Georgia in January... I was fed soooooooo much food... I would weigh 500 pounds if I lived in Georgia around my relatives...

I actually have family all over the U.S. and some in Germany which means probably family all over...

And I think I would really enjoy Georgia if it weren't for the heat. I barely survive our heat up here in our little peninsula.

New York is one of the few states I've never been to, but if I ever go, I'm coming to see you, Alex!

My Mood
    Worried

Oh Daggers.. funny but true, Stargate is supposed to be contained within Cheyenne Mountain!!! Also funny but true, there is a janitor closet in the base that truly says, "stargate command".

Gunslinger Apprentice stboling is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Haha, when I saw this thread I had to laugh! Being from Michigan (the LP) we just love to laugh at the Yoopers. All in fun though. You guys are great.

Banned The Lady of Shadows is on a distinguished road

why are they yoopers? and why trolls? enquiring minds want to know.

Palaver Castle Chef mia/susannah is on a distinguished road mia/susannah's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by LadyHitchhiker View Post
    My mom's from Georgia. I was just in Georgia in January... I was fed soooooooo much food... I would weigh 500 pounds if I lived in Georgia around my relatives...

I actually have family all over the U.S. and some in Germany which means probably family all over...

And I think I would really enjoy Georgia if it weren't for the heat. I barely survive our heat up here in our little peninsula.

New York is one of the few states I've never been to, but if I ever go, I'm coming to see you, Alex!
    I hope if you make it to New York, you will come see me as well.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast