Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: What was their love like?

Voters
107. You may not vote on this poll
  • A deep faithful one.

61 57.01%
  • Hot but light.

39 36.45%
  • I don't understand this question...

7 6.54%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9

Thread: Their love

Gunslinger Apprentice RolandLover will become famous soon enough RolandLover will become famous soon enough

Country
    Country Flag

Hello, newbie here

I just finished the books a week or so ago. I'm late to this messageboard but I just wanted to post my opinion on Roland and Susan. I voted their love as hot but light. For me I didn't get anything that was so deep about their love. Love at first sight was what Roland did as like many other male characters in other "romance novels" have done. Susan fell in love with a boy who could take her out of Mejis so they came together. They both kept saying how they love thee but it was passionless to me. I noticed that their lovescenes were described mostly from Susan's pov. Also I think their love was missing some elements like laughter. They came together only to have sex. I guess *I* was expecting more a real deepness there. I'm brand new to the DT series so I was expecting R&S to be a little bit older and personally I do not find teen romances deep.

But since I love love love love Roland, so to him it was deep. I liked Roland little romance with Rosalita better. Hell I even liked him with Allie better than Susan because it was adult and cold but they weren't boring as I found R&S's romance to be. Just my two cents

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Welcome to the board. I hope you will like it here.
    And why do you love Roland so much? I am totally interested in it so please let me know. : )

Roland would have understood.

Gunslinger Apprentice RolandLover will become famous soon enough RolandLover will become famous soon enough

Country
    Country Flag

Thank you! I already love it here! I fell in love with the character of Roland first because of how badass he was and is. I know at the heart of him like Roland has said, he's a romantic. I know he's made some terrible mistakes and became obsess with the DT but, as I traveled along with Roland on his quest for it, he's a very deep character. I don't know. I just haven't loved a character like this at all hee!

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by RolandLover View Post
    Hello, newbie here

I just finished the books a week or so ago. I'm late to this messageboard but I just wanted to post my opinion on Roland and Susan. I voted their love as hot but light. For me I didn't get anything that was so deep about their love. Love at first sight was what Roland did as like many other male characters in other "romance novels" have done. Susan fell in love with a boy who could take her out of Mejis so they came together. They both kept saying how they love thee but it was passionless to me. I noticed that their lovescenes were described mostly from Susan's pov. Also I think their love was missing some elements like laughter. They came together only to have sex. I guess *I* was expecting more a real deepness there. I'm brand new to the DT series so I was expecting R&S to be a little bit older and personally I do not find teen romances deep.

But since I love love love love Roland, so to him it was deep. I liked Roland little romance with Rosalita better. Hell I even liked him with Allie better than Susan because it was adult and cold but they weren't boring as I found R&S's romance to be. Just my two cents
    bears concur

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Wow, well it seems that I can sense it when someone revives an old thread even when I'm not online. Just remembered this one for no apparent reason yesterday. Welcome.

I don't think that Roland and Susan was particularly boring. Like, more boring than other love stories. Maybe not the best ever written, but good for its place in the saga. (Unless y'all think that the author intended to make it lack meaning.) Also, I think that it might be a misstep to overgeneralize the kind of feelings which teenagers have: what they are like actually varies a good deal, especially if they're of a different culture and in a society that's not set up like what we may be most familiar with.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    Wow, well it seems that I can sense it when someone revives an old thread even when I'm not online. Just remembered this one for no apparent reason yesterday. Welcome.

I don't think that Roland and Susan was particularly boring. Like, more boring than other love stories. Maybe not the best ever written, but good for its place in the saga. (Unless y'all think that the author intended to make it lack meaning.) Also, I think that it might be a misstep to overgeneralize the kind of feelings which teenagers have: what they are like actually varies a good deal, especially if they're of a different culture and in a society that's not set up like what we may be most familiar with.
    Thank you! I do think that during R/S when that their situations weren't that of normal teens. Roland and his ka-tet were sent to Mejis to count as teens boys doing a job that men were doing. Susan's situation of basically being the Mayor's gilly a better than "whore" was definitely not a teen situation either. I just felt their love was passionless. Just because they said they love each other all the time and had sex didn't make me believe it was that deep.

Also Roland's love for Susan withered after he went todash in the Grapefruit. He was willing to let her move on with another man who would've raised his baby. He also said that Susan is not his ka or she not him. Something like that. Had Susan lived, I think knowing that Roland didn't want to marry her anymore would have hurt her deeply.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, if it would have hurt her deeply, that suggests that at least Susan really cared. I guess that maybe I just don't understand love relationships in quite the same way that many others regard the concept. Not sure that "passionless" is equivalent to "uncommitted." Your summary of the things which Roland said after coming out of the Grapefruit is accurate, but I don't know if it means that his love for her ever withered. You think that deep feelings for someone always make one stay with them no matter what other circumstances the world might present?

... Susan's situation of basically being the Mayor's gilly a better than "whore" was definitely not a teen situation either. ...
    Sadly, that is the situation for many girls that age in the real world. It's not Disney Channel, but it happens.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    Well, if it would have hurt her deeply, that suggests that at least Susan really cared. I guess that maybe I just don't understand love relationships in quite the same way that many others regard the concept. Not sure that "passionless" is equivalent to "uncommitted." Your summary of the things which Roland said after coming out of the Grapefruit is accurate, but I don't know if it means that his love for her ever withered. You think that deep feelings for someone always make one stay with them no matter what other circumstances the world might present?

... Susan's situation of basically being the Mayor's gilly a better than "whore" was definitely not a teen situation either. ...
    Sadly, that is the situation for many girls that age in the real world. It's not Disney Channel, but it happens.
    No I do not think that at all but I think Susan believed that. She told Roland she put everything into him to take care of her. Once the glam got hold of him, he chose the Tower over her. To me it felt passionless their love. To me it felt like they were just saying the words and basically the outcome somewhat proved it. Roland decided to put the Tower above his love for Susan which led to her unfortunate death. That is what haunts him.

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

... basically the outcome somewhat proved it. ...
    Key words. I can agree when it's put it that way. But to me, Roland being willing to let her move on with another man does not conclusively prove that he stopped caring or no longer meant to take care of her in any way. I concur with the point that his decision haunts him since her death, but I'm not convinced that he was "just saying the words" all along. That sounds like dishonesty.

Country
    Country Flag

Pathoftheturtle, no i don't believe Roland was dishonesty about his love for Susan.

Traveler GranChi is on a distinguished road

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I got that it was supposed to be a beautiful, true romance and all, but it didn't seem that way a lot of the time. There's a lot in the book about them going around meeting in different places and, well, doing it (when you think about it, they really screwed a lot for 14 and 16) but not that much about them developing a meaningful connection... I think a lot of their talk with each other seems pretty basic and simple, if you go back and look at it. But it meant something to Roland, obviously, and I think that's what matters most in his later life.

John F. Kennedy Ross will become famous soon enough

I like this point. When I first saw the post I thought "True love for sure". Jean made a wonderful point and so did you. In the back of my mind though, I am still slightly pushed towards the True Love option for some of the same reasons. I have been with my wife for almost 16 years now. When we first met, it was True love at first sight. I realize that this feeling I had would have come to me regardless of who I as with (A teenage boy will fall in love with a beautiful girl 9 times out of 10 in my estimation). I think the difference between whether it is hot but light or deep and ever lasting has to depend on the beholder. Self actualization and the ability to understand yourself and what you feel is important at that specific time (regardless of whether it is true or not, it is still love). I don't think this can be answered to be honest. If Susan didnt die and they left the Mejis as they had planned and went back to Gilead and the story continued, we could have possibly been able to answer this question. Having the story of their love cut off so soon means that we will never know for sure. In Roland's mind it was true and everlasting and I don't think Mr King wanted us to see it any other way. Like with my wife (retrospect), there are times when I don't love her every minute of every day. But in the end, my love is everlasting and regardless of circumstance it can never be taken away. Not sure I like what I just wrote here.. I think I am still on the fence, but what the hell, hitting the post button anyways

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9