Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: What was their love like?

Voters
107. You may not vote on this poll
  • A deep faithful one.

61 57.01%
  • Hot but light.

39 36.45%
  • I don't understand this question...

7 6.54%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Their love

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by maerlyns_rainbow View Post
    Perfect post, Jean, I couldn't have said it any better myself!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I said that they were because I truly believe the "love" can be established in a second between the right people.

I fell in love with my wife after one meeting and we have been together 10 years.

Weather they would have fulfilled the commitment is a different story but weather or not what they felt was true love? I think it was.
    This is the reason that I believe in ka and true love/soul mates. I fell in love with Austin the moment I met him, and we have been together for over 5 years, lived together 1 and a half of them. But while I knew he was perfect for me and we should live our lives together, I also didn't have a deep and strong connection to him. That was something that took a lot of time and togetherness to bring about.

A real, strong, deep love takes time. No one with a love like this would leave behind their other half for anything, in my opinion of course. Without this person in your life, you are just not complete. And I also believe that finding this person, out of all the billions of people you could potentially bump into on the planet, is something that just isn't possible without some sort of ka pushing you along.
    I totally agree with this. We have a weird thing that our souls were joined before, ripped apart to be put into us and then spent all this time searching. When they see each other again after all that time, its there no matter what.
    when intense HOT love ebbs...and real love remains..
    This is also something I have never understood because our intense hot has lasted for 10 years and is only getting better as they go on. It never ebbed.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Daghain View Post
    I think, when you're young especially, first love is the most intense and immediate love you ever feel. So at that age, and at that time, I believe for them it was true love.
    I am quite young and I feel I was in love twice in my life. My first love was a nightmare and my second... I have been loving that man for almost 6 years happily.
    For me love is love. (Brice often says it.) They are different. We don't feel the same way. Sometimes they love can rock worlds and tear universes apart and sometimes it's just a hot flame. Sometimes it's real sometimes we make it real because we would like to be in love so much. We are hungry for it.

But I believe it doesn't depend on age.

Roland would have understood.

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MonteGss View Post
    Hot but light. If events had been different and Roland hadn't had his vision in the Rainbow about the DT, perhaps it could have grown into a deep faithful love. As soon as Roland saw the DT, Susan became secondary.
    I agree 100% Monte!
    Roland's quest was his one true love.
    Buddy, you think you look strong? You’re wearing a cape.

Breaker Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

I'll third that, at least til he met the new ka-tet

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm still with Letti. I think that true love can burn just as brightly for a short time as it can for a long time.

I fell for my Dora in the 5 minutes after we first met, forever and always so I'm not sure if the time is a qualifier for depth of love

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

I'm still with Letti. I think that true love can burn just as brightly for a short time as it can for a long time.

I fell for my Dora in the 5 minutes after we first met, forever and always so I'm not sure if the time is a qualifier for depth of love
    I think it can, too... I just don't think it did for Susan and Roland. She would always be second fiddle to the Tower

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

And I can agree with that too, it is the basis of his horrible obsession. But remember, he didn't know all that much about the tower when they met so at first, it was just him and her.

that is true

Breaker Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm woth the whole love disscusion, that the feeling is there throughout time not matter what, just, like O said, not ment to stay with them

Traveler Sinistar is on a distinguished road Sinistar's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

It was probably hot but light and the physical attraction was the main aspect in the relationship. Roland only thought this to be true love later on after he loses Susan and reminisces on what once was. It always seems better when you look back on something rather than live through it.
    "What have I become? My sweetest friend...everyone I know goes away in the end...and you can have it all...my empire of dirt...I will let you down...I will make you hurt..." --Trent Reznor

good point, sinistar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm still saying it was real and not only that, would have saved Roland from his damnation as love often does.

Citizen of Gilead TerribleT is on a distinguished road TerribleT's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    the real test of love is whether or not you're annoyed by where your second half puts his/her socks. Extremal situations breed crushes, infatuations, raging passions, whatever; true love is a phenomenon of every-day life.
    I think that kinda depends on what your definition of true love is. If it's putting up with someone's bad habits, I'm not really sure I would call that true love.

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I think he just meant that most true love is quite common--the markers I mean.

Its not about the words "I LOVE YOU" written in the sky, its about every day things that make it strong.

But I don't think he and I agree on this issue so there you go.

For me, their love was as real as it gets.

Citizen of Gilead TerribleT is on a distinguished road TerribleT's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

when intense HOT love ebbs...and real love remains..
    This is also something I have never understood because our intense hot has lasted for 10 years and is only getting better as they go on. It never ebbed.
    AMEN BRUTHA...PREACH IT!!!!!

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

She's some kind of woman, that's for sure.

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Sinistar View Post
    It was probably hot but light and the physical attraction was the main aspect in the relationship. Roland only thought this to be true love later on after he loses Susan and reminisces on what once was. It always seems better when you look back on something rather than live through it.
    Not always.
    Sometimes things seem to be much worse when you look back at them and you have no idea how you could tolerate the other one. But then comes the answer... because you loved him/her and that's what painted everything acceptable.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by TerribleT View Post
    the real test of love is whether or not you're annoyed by where your second half puts his/her socks. Extremal situations breed crushes, infatuations, raging passions, whatever; true love is a phenomenon of every-day life.
    I think that kinda depends on what your definition of true love is. If it's putting up with someone's bad habits, I'm not really sure I would call that true love.
    I meant - and I believe I made it more or less clear in other posts, too (at least I tried) that true love is love that lasts no matter what, and this "what" isn't evil dragons or malicious witches or other romantic stuff. If you want it in other words, time is the only test of true love (as opposed to other similar phenomena, such as infatuation or passion). If the feeling was never subjected to the test of time, there's no telling whather it wasn't just a passing phantom created by the longing to love and be loved, so characteristic for certain age. Socks, armpits, tuneless whistling, will all be revealed as you live with the person you, allegedly, love... it's then that your love either grows stronger, or disappears, leaving only this frustration of your romantic anticipations (I thought she was an angel, and she belches after a glass of beer)

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

(I thought she was an angel, and she belches after a glass of beer)
    Alas! Jean and I are not to be

Actually, even though I disagreed with you previously - I totally agree with what you just wrote.

Country
    Country Flag

And can love change, Jean? I mean you still love that person after many years too but not the same way. What do you think about that?

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Depends on what you mean by "the same way". I am sure we love differently every day, because people change, and feelings change.

Country
    Country Flag

Anyway... I don't think that time is the only test of true love. I mean... if a husband beats his wife for 30 years BUT he doesn't leave her he doesn't have a lover because he loves her but it's a bit hard for him to express his feelings, is that true love?
    If a man loves a woman for 7 beautiful years but he changes so does his love - because that's how our world works - and after 7 nice days they break up because they are not similar enough to belong to each other anymore, that's not true love?

I might be just stupid to understand your point or we just simply disagree as usual.

Country
    Country Flag

the first example doesn't work because the situation is different. If I say that gold can be recognized because your teeth can make imprint on it (that's how gold coins used to be roughly tested), it wouldn't mean I said that chocolate or chewing gum was gold.

The second example is ok. They may have had beautiful romance for 7 years, but love for me is, you know, "'til death do us part".

Country
    Country Flag

Okay.
    We think damn different.

Country
    Country Flag

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast