Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 37 of 102 FirstFirst ... 27 35 36 37 38 39 47 87 ... LastLast

Thread: The DC Film Universe

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

Default Affleck as Batman?????

No no no no no no!

I sat by while Disney swallowed Star Wars... I even sat quietly while Pluto was demoted... but this???? I cannot allow this to happen!!!
    Buddy, you think you look strong? You’re wearing a cape.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

That was my reaction as well.

... however now that I'm past the knee jerk reaction, I'm actually sitting down and thinking about it, and I think he might be able to pull it off. He has proven himself as a director, and he is anxious and eager to prove to the world that he's as capable in front of the camera as he is behind it. Maybe this will be his opportunity.

Kevin Smith blogged a few days ago about he and Affleck would spend ridiculous amounts of time in the latters' home drinking beer and talking about their favorite Batman issues, so at least - in the outset - it seems he understands and loves the source material.

We'll see. At this point I'm willing to keep an open mind and remain optimistic. Shit, I remember when I heard about the Heath Ledger casting I thought WB had committed suicide, but look how that turned out.

Little Bird Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Exactly. I really liked Affleck in Argo (yeah, I was surprised too) and nobody thought Ledger would be good until he redefined the role.

What I really want to know is why we feel the need for a new Batman movie. We just had three really good ones come out. Can't we take a break? With this happening so soon, they're just going to be compared to the Dark Knight trilogy instead of judged in their own right. Not to mention that a lot of people would like to see a Wonder Woman movie (which will probably never happen) and some people are just getting sick of superhero movies.

Okay, that last point might just be me.
    A lady always remembers her courtesies.

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

Matt Damon says, "You know, he's not playing King Lear. It's Batman! Certainly within his skill set."

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    Matt Damon says, "You know, he's not playing King Lear. It's Batman! Certainly within his skill set."

good point

(maybe they should bring back Michael Keaton )

Rabid Billybumbler fearless-freak will become famous soon enough fearless-freak will become famous soon enough fearless-freak's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Odetta View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post

good point

(maybe they should bring back Michael Keaton )
    maybe if they did a live action The Dark Knight Returns

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ka-mai View Post
    What I really want to know is why we feel the need for a new Batman movie. We just had three really good ones come out. Can't we take a break? With this happening so soon, they're just going to be compared to the Dark Knight trilogy instead of judged in their own right.
    Reason - $,

Batman as a cinematic IP is now bringing in enough cash to rival that of Star Wars or Harry Potter. It's a worldwide cultural phenomenon.

I do agree that it's a bit soon to be rebooting the series since Nolan's trilogy just concluded last year, but the great thing is that it's an almost entirely new creative force so we're going to see a new tone, approach, artistic vision etc., Batman is a character that thrives on interpretation. Plus there's also the novelty that this will be the first time we see Batman's universe colliding with another existing property, in this case Superman.

Not to mention that a lot of people would like to see a Wonder Woman movie (which will probably never happen) and some people are just getting sick of superhero movies.

Actually, a Wonder Woman film is on the wish list of lots of pop culture enthusiasts.

And I don't mind superhero films, granted that the teams behind it have a respect for the source material and don't just scattershot campy elements to sell tickets. The Avengers, The Dark Knight trilogy and Man of Steel are example of teams that have a love for the source material and want give us the best possible stories involving those characters while also introducing them a younger audience.

If we're going to lambaste superhero films because of their frequency then there are lots of other genres we could go after, like animated films. It's just a matter of choosing the right ones to see.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Isn't this more of a Superman movie? I was under that impression.

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Only if Matt Damon plays Robin. Haha....and Jay and Silent Bob are the Joker and his henchman.
    Sloth Love Chunk

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post
    Isn't this more of a Superman movie? I was under that impression.
    Well technically this is a Superman sequel, but it seems Batman is receiving equal billing. Workings titles are 'Superman vs Batman' and 'Batman vs Superman'. I'm not entirely sure how they're going to balance it to be honest.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh, it's just like the comics.
    Once in a while a bright team of artists appear with a story that shows just how fine the concept of a particular title can be.
    And then a gaggle of overgrown pubescent hacks step back in, laughing manically over the fresh chance to sell action figures with stale, half-baked melodrama in that concept's name.

Goldmember Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future

My Mood
    Inspired

Ah Commisionah, I pahkd Mah Cah in tha Hahvahd Yahd

Little Bird Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ka-mai View Post
    What I really want to know is why we feel the need for a new Batman movie. We just had three really good ones come out. Can't we take a break? With this happening so soon, they're just going to be compared to the Dark Knight trilogy instead of judged in their own right.
    Reason - $,

Batman as a cinematic IP is now bringing in enough cash to rival that of Star Wars or Harry Potter. It's a worldwide cultural phenomenon.

I do agree that it's a bit soon to be rebooting the series since Nolan's trilogy just concluded last year, but the great thing is that it's an almost entirely new creative force so we're going to see a new tone, approach, artistic vision etc., Batman is a character that thrives on interpretation. Plus there's also the novelty that this will be the first time we see Batman's universe colliding with another existing property, in this case Superman.

Not to mention that a lot of people would like to see a Wonder Woman movie (which will probably never happen) and some people are just getting sick of superhero movies.

Actually, a Wonder Woman film is on the wish list of lots of pop culture enthusiasts.

And I don't mind superhero films, granted that the teams behind it have a respect for the source material and don't just scattershot campy elements to sell tickets. The Avengers, The Dark Knight trilogy and Man of Steel are example of teams that have a love for the source material and want give us the best possible stories involving those characters while also introducing them a younger audience.

If we're going to lambaste superhero films because of their frequency then there are lots of other genres we could go after, like animated films. It's just a matter of choosing the right ones to see.
    Yes, I think people want to see Wonder Woman, but I don't think anyone actually wants to make it. When's the last time we had a female superhero movie? The Catwoman atrocity? Seriously, I don't know, I don't pay enough attention to this. But the last two female superheroes I remember seeing were in other movies - The Avengers and DKR. They generally don't get their own film.

This is not my idea, sadly, but imagine: Joss Whedon makes Wonder Woman starring Gina Torres. I would watch the shit out of that.

I think my problem with superheroes in general is the constant rewrites. There's not much (or too much, depending on your view) canon - some characters have three or four origin stories, their powers change over time, there's 500 "Superhero A vs. Superhero B!" plots of varying stupidity... there's just too much material to keep up with and too much variation. But trust me, this is not the only genre I have issues with.
    A lady always remembers her courtesies.

Rabid Billybumbler fearless-freak will become famous soon enough fearless-freak will become famous soon enough fearless-freak's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

isnt an 'amazon' supposed to be appearing in arrow season 2

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Affleck rules, guys. Glad he can direct actors because Zack Snyder couldn't direct a guy to fall if he was already halfway down the mountain. Just a shame Affleck wasn't directing instead of that hack.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

You can't compared animated films with superhero films as one is a medium, the other is a genre. Superhero movies are very uninspired. You're going to get one great one, one or two decent onesfor every ten, the rest are tripe.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm still waiting for this.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    Affleck rules, guys. Glad he can direct actors because Zack Snyder couldn't direct a guy to fall if he was already halfway down the mountain. Just a shame Affleck wasn't directing instead of that hack.
    I would have preferred him directing instead of starring.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

You can't compared animated films with superhero films as one is a medium, the other is a genre. Superhero movies are very uninspired. You're going to get one great one, one or two decent onesfor every ten, the rest are tripe.
    We're comparing the frequency with which both style of films are released. How is that not a valid comparison?

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    I would have preferred him directing instead of starring.
    I agree, feevie!

Gunslinger Stebbins is a jewel in the rough Stebbins is a jewel in the rough Stebbins is a jewel in the rough Stebbins's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Bale will always be my Batman, Batman Begins cemented that.

Brownings: hell yes!

Country
    Country Flag

you heard who wants be The Riddle now?

Justin Timberlake

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

I never liked Justin Timberlake, until I did. He's actually got some acting talent, and The Riddler is probably more within his skill set than Batman is genuinely within Affleck's.

Gunslinger Stebbins is a jewel in the rough Stebbins is a jewel in the rough Stebbins is a jewel in the rough Stebbins's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    I never liked Justin Timberlake, until I did. He's actually got some acting talent, and The Riddler is probably more within his skill set than Batman is genuinely within Affleck's.
    I agree totally.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Stebbins View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    I agree totally.
    He might have a modicum of acting talent, but I'm glad that the current films are still ditching the camp factor because the thought of seeing him hamming it up as the Riddler physically upsets me.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 37 of 102 FirstFirst ... 27 35 36 37 38 39 47 87 ... LastLast