Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: A Clockwork Orange *spoilers for the book and movie*

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

You should read the book, Micheal. It'll scar you for life - in a good way.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes, and it's an excellent book at that.

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Yay! I'm so glad you liked it, Ryan. I think you'll enjoy the book just as much. I'm anxious to hear your thoughts on it.

I first saw the movie in 1980. While by then it had lost its total shock value, it still packed quite a punch. A friend's mom told me that went to see it in the theater when it was released and literally walked out when Billy Boy and his droogs were raping the young devotchka.

I'm supposed to be going to ScreamFest in October, and Malcolm McDowell (young Malcolm McDowell = ) is scheduled to be there. I hope that I can get him to sign my copy of ACO. I'm so at the prospect.
    It'll take a lot more than words and guns,
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle.

The hands of the many must join as one.
    And together we'll cross the river.

Puscifer, "The Humbling River"

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

I read the book AND saw the movie and I totally agree with Woofer about the ending of the book, thank ye sai big big. I think the movie's ending was better.

Goldmember Míchéal is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

I'm gonna look for it this week.

Banned obscurejude is on a distinguished road

Brice is going to give me a copy of the book.

Alex voice:

Hey thanks ol' chap.

Satanic Mechanic B Rag will become famous soon enough B Rag's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

So, a couple months ago, my cousins and I were discussing getting together to watch a movie. I suggested A Clockwork Orange, because I'd heard such great things about it on .net. It turned out that one of my cousins owns the movie! So we watched it, and thought it was great. A couple weeks ago, I decided to check out the book from my school's library (My dad said he thought we have the book, but we've no idea where it is). I just finished reading it today, and enjoyed it a lot too.

I'd say I like the movie better, but they're both really badass.
    Have you heard of people with short fuses? Well, I have no fuse at all, and there's a thousand could testify to it if I hadn't stilled their tongues for good.

Quote Originally Posted by LadyHitchhiker
    my itty bitty boy parts need the movie to grow
    You can't ignore my girth.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes, indeed they are. The movie is definitely visually and sonically striking. In my opinion both are brilliant.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

shrewd and knavish sprite flaggwalkstheline will become famous soon enough flaggwalkstheline's Avatar

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

i like the movie better, i guess the books ending was more humane but the whole story was a fable on how deep down all people r beasts so i didnt think that last chapter really fit
    if the worlds gonna end then let's get it over with, i got shit to do

Silverloch John_and_Yoko will become famous soon enough John_and_Yoko's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic

The last chapter fit with the author's intent, but personally I'm going to have to go with Kubrick on this one.

It has an "Orwellian" feel to it, and Orwell would NOT have had Alex redeemed.

Thing is, Anthony Burgess's point was that true goodness requires the CHOICE to do good, which really means having the option of doing bad. So to have true morality one must risk having just the opposite, counterintuitive though it sounds. That's why he wanted to have Alex be redeemed at the end, because he saw firsthand how all his former victims had it, and matured beyond his love for ultraviolence and rape.

However, I think Kubrick's ending is first of all more realistic (he seems more the type who'd want revenge on those who have wronged him than to become enlightened--especially growing up in such a decadent society anyway), and also more right for the kind of story being told (he doesn't need a character arc, thus he doesn't need to "mature" beyond what he is--and also Kubrick wanted to point out the immorality of the brainwashing itself, regardless of who it was being done to, so he had to have Alex remain evil even at the end).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2