Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: A Clockwork Orange *spoilers for the book and movie*

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

:radioactive: A Clockwork Orange *spoilers for the book and movie*

This thread is for discussion, comparison, and general love of all things A Clockwork Orange be it film or book. It's primary purpose is as a comparison of the two, but a little general love of it won't be frowned upon too much my droogs.

So to begin: What variances do you see in the morality represented by the two?

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm sure this is going to be Sarah's new favorite thread!

I'll answer your question later on in the day, sir.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes, I thought about putting Sarah's name in the thread title.

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

{sneak}Mark spoilers? Put spoiler warning in the title? My whole post is a spoiler... Just use one giant spoiler tag?{/sneak}
    It'll take a lot more than words and guns,
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle.

The hands of the many must join as one.
    And together we'll cross the river.

Puscifer, "The Humbling River"

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I'll add spoilers to the title. I'm glad you thought of that.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

and I will add that radioactive sign... now everything is perfect!

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Thank you Jean!

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Viddy well, oh my brothers, viddy well.

I love the ending of the movie and find the final chapter of the book to be a cop out. We have been introduced to a youth, Alex, who is in love with ultraviolence and all things associated with it. His greatest joy in life is to bring pain and suffering to others. We have also been introduced to his droogs, who are enamored of ultraviolence and all things associated with it, but who do not appear to be as completely immersed in it as our humble narrator. In the final chapter of the book, we are presented with an older Alex who is now rethinking his ways and finding them childish. He runs into Pete, who has abandoned the old gang ways and has integrated into proper society. He (Alex) has begun to carry around a picture of a baby in his wallet and to have feelings/desires to settle down, get married, have a baby even.

Bullshit. I don’t buy it. Alex is a sociopath for the entire novel – even when he has been twisted by the Ludovico treatment he still wishes to be the sociopath that he was. Consequently, I don’t buy for one second that just because he reaches 21 he suddenly realizes that violence is childish and he should get a shave and a haircut and a house and a wife. I buy it with Pete. I’ll even buy it with Dim and Georgie (or would, if Georgie lived). But not for one second do I believe that Alex has begun a 180° change. That boy was too much of a sociopath to start getting mushy over babies with milk on their faces. I see grown up Alex as cultivating new ways to get what he wants or to torture others. Yes, yes. I see what Burgess was doing and saying – or trying to do and say – but I don’t agree with it for this character.

I was supremely disappointed when I first got my hands on a copy of the British release of the novel. I’d been reading the American version, which ends without the final chapter to correspond to the film, and was quite surprised to see everything so glibly excused as “childhood’s folly” because children are like clockwork oranges.

Great topic, Brice! There is just so much in this novel (and film) to love: the concepts of nature verses nurture, governmental thought control, and the power language and music to name a few.

Appy polly loggies for the vehemence, but the final chapter tolchocks me in the gulliver every time I read it.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I'll expound a little more later on, but I don't really think Alex is a true sociopath. Although to be honest I don't consider sociopathy a real psychological disorder any way.

The Decoy Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

love the movie, but i've never been able to read the damn book. I think, at this point, I've seen the movie too often to put up with reading the book, which honestly just annoys me every time I try to read it.
    A true firewasp ninja would never wear such a ridiculous sweater.

There's logic in nonsense.

Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.

The Decoy Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    I'll expound a little more later on, but I don't really think Alex is a true sociopath. Although to be honest I don't consider sociopathy a real psychological disorder any way.
    Interesing. I think you should start a discussing that.

(seriously, though.)
    A true firewasp ninja would never wear such a ridiculous sweater.

There's logic in nonsense.

Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Hannah View Post
    love the movie, but i've never been able to read the damn book. I think, at this point, I've seen the movie too often to put up with reading the book, which honestly just annoys me every time I try to read it.

It's a shame. IMO the book is much better in some ways.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

(seriously, though.)

Maybe I will. Or a general psychology thread where I can point out that 95% of it is bullshit. Really though, I think we as a society are obsessed with labels. Everything is a disorder. Sociopathy or APD is little more than selfishness to the extreme.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I have to admit I'm a sucker for the ending of the novel and the message it conveys - it's never too late to rethink your ways and ultimately better ones self.

(Cheesy , I know)

My Mood
    Worried

(seriously, though.)

Maybe I will. Or a general psychology thread where I can point out that 95% of it is bullshit. Really though, I think we as a society are obsessed with labels. Everything is a disorder. Sociopathy or APD is little more than selfishness to the extreme.
    Sorry for using that word. I used it because it would convey what what you just described succinctly and with little doubt as to what I meant about the character. Carry on.

Banned obscurejude is on a distinguished road

Hey guys, I've recently been turned on to Stanley K. and I now have this movie in my possession. I haven't watched it yet, but its on the radar. Part of the reason I wanted to see it was because of Brice and Woofer, two members whom I really respect. I knew you guys loved it as well as Bergy whom I don't know well but seems like a smart cat too.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Excellent! I hope you enjoy it. It's really a great film.

The White! MonteGss is on a distinguished road MonteGss's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I do plan on reading the book, because I guess I will like it. That said, I really disliked the movie and would probably avoid it in the future.

I'm sorry to spoil the love-fest of Kubrick though... He just isn't all that, imo.

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by obscurejude View Post
    Hey guys, I've recently been turned on to Stanley K. and I now have this movie in my possession. I haven't watched it yet, but its on the radar. Part of the reason I wanted to see it was because of Brice and Woofer, two members whom I really respect. I knew you guys loved it as well as Bergy whom I don't know well but seems like a smart cat too.
    Hey Ryan. You've been known to listen to my suggestions a time or two as well and I have nothing but good things to say about the film. I think it's a spectacular film that gets better with repeated viewings. Probably my only "problem" with it is that since I first saw it I have never been able to see Malcolm McDowell as anything other than Alex, but I suppose that's just a testament to how powerful he is in the role.

I have yet to read the book, but this thread has definitely kindled my interest in doing so and I have added it to my list of books to buy.

That makes me want to watch it even more Jayson. I've just been putting it off because its not exactly a "feel good" movie and things have been a little difficult for me personally here the past few days. I hope to watch by the end of the week and look forward to some good movie discussion.

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

That makes me want to watch it even more Jayson. I've just been putting it off because its not exactly a "feel good" movie and things have been a little difficult for me personally here the past few days. I hope to watch by the end of the week and look forward to some good movie discussion.
    Hope things turn around for you soon Ryan. You could always watch "Dr. Strangelove" as well if you are on a Kubrick kick. If that doesn't make you laugh, your sense of humor is broken.

My Mood
    Worried

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    Hope things turn around for you soon Ryan. You could always watch "Dr. Strangelove" as well if you are on a Kubrick kick. If that doesn't make you laugh, your sense of humor is broken.
    And if it's broken, you'll have to answer to the Coca-Cola company.

Just finished the movie. Maybe because I'm a child of modernity (unfortunately), I didn't find it too shocking. I'm going to think about it some more before I post anything more in depth, but my initial reaction is a pleasant one. I really enjoyed it, but I could see how the Stanley K. enthusiast might find it dragging at points. I watched 2001 about a week ago and there's more dialog in the first five minutes of Clockwork than that whole movie (unless you count the apes).

Anyways, thanks for the recommendation guys. I really enjoyed it.
    Lets talk about some specifics.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it, Ryan. Now, you should get the book. Matter of fact if you're still wanting to come for a visit next month you can have mine (provided I can find it Saturday when I go to my shed).

And yeah, it's not so shocking now (not much in film is anymore), but as a product of it's time it was rather controversial from what I understand. In that context I can see why.

Goldmember Míchéal is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

I didn't even know it was a book. ooops. I love the movie though.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast