Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Wolves Of The Calla Q&A. *spoilers

Goldmember ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

What was your favourite moment of this book?

All things Oy, duh, but especially when he introduced himself to the Calla folken.

What was your least favourite moment?

Roland dancing. I cringed the entire time I was reading it. Still cringe just thinking about it.

Were you pleased to be reacquainted with Pere Callahan? If you have read Salem's Lot, did it affect whether you were able to like/respect him?

At first I hated him because of the Lot, but he grew on me and I eventually loved him.

Which relationship did you prefer? Susan and Roland or Rosalita and Roland?

If I had to pick I'd say Rosalita because I just couldn't stand Susan. But Rosalita seemed more like a convenient booty call to me.

What was your opinion of the Calla folken? Did you find them cowardly, or did you sympathise with them?

Partially sympathize but mostly just think they were a cowardly bunch.

Did you like Roland more, or less in this story? Did you feel you saw a different side of him?

I liked Roland from ...and the Gunslinger followed...

What was your initial reaction to the Susannah/Mia storyline?

Sybil is that you?

What did you think the wolves would be? Did you think the battle was satisfying or an anti-climax?

Had the wolves figured out very early into the book. The battle was awesome!

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ICry4Oy View Post

Roland dancing. I cringed the entire time I was reading it. Still cringe just thinking about it.
    That's my favourite part from the whole series.

Roland would have understood.

Goldmember ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

LOL! All I could think of while I was reading it was....."riverdancing". I hate riverdancing.

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

But Rosalita seemed more like a convenient booty call to me.
    Not that there is anything wrong with that! I think there was potential for it to become more if he went back to Calla Bryn Sturgiss.

What was your opinion of the Calla folken? Did you find them cowardly, or did you sympathise with them?

Partially sympathize but mostly just think they were a cowardly bunch.
    Most of them were. That was the genius of the plan, is to have cowardice be taught as an acceptable part of their culture for generations. It reminds me of similar situations in this world that I won't go into because it's off the topic of the thread.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Gunslinger Apprentice Django is on a distinguished road Django's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Father Callahan's story. And I haven't even read 'Salem's Lot.

The first todash and Mia part.

Were you pleased to be reacquainted with Pere Callahan? If you have read Salem's Lot, did it affect whether you were able to like/respect him?

As I said, I haven't read 'SL before, but I loved Callahan's character.

Susan. I didn't take Rosalita seriously.

I sympathized with their cowardice.

Did you like Roland more, or less in this story? Did you feel you saw a different side of him?

More. He has a lot of sides to him, that's what draws me to him all the time.

Like most of the people, I thought it was too distracting. I'll have to see where it goes from here.

What did you think the wolves would be? Did you think the battle was satisfying or an anti-climax?

I presumed they'd be something like that. The battle was a great ending, I would've preferred if it ended right there before the epilogue (although there was good stuff there too.) It would have made a great cliffhanger after the Calla chapter was done.

John F. Kennedy Anastasia is on a distinguished road Anastasia's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Roland’s dance
    Oy’s introducing himself
    Roland’s tactics while speaking with people of Calla. As well as his final speech before the battle
    Callahan finding out that there was a book about him

Susannah having split mind once again…don’t know but it was a bit annoying…

I haven’t read Salem’s Lot but in the whole I thought Callahan story was too long, there were too many unneeded details…Yes, the hidden highways and alternative worlds with all that different banknotes were interesting but still. I also didn’t quite like that vampires were involved.

Susan and Roland definitely. She was Roland’s first and true love. But at the same time his relations with Rosalita seemed true and that was what he really needed at that time.

Yes, I sympathized with them a lot!

What did you think the wolves would be?
    First I thought they were just ordinary people in masks…but later all that robots came to my mind and I thought that maybe the wolves were robots too, though I wasn’t sure till we found out the truth.

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

i think out of all the books, WoC is the one on which my thoughts changed completley on a reread so for that reason i have given 2 answers to the questions, and i hope you will forgive me and understand my reasons

What was your favourite moment of this book?[/B]
    1st read Oy introducing himself on the stand - for the whole cuteness factor
    2nd read Rolands relationship with rosalita (see below)

1st read - mia and the whole eating thing (see below)
    2nd read - jakes friendship with benny slightman, knowing what was coming it hurt to know that yet more of jakes childhood would be ripped away

1st read - i hated it, i wondered what the hell he was doing in my book!!!!
    2nd read - i appreciated the fact that i now knew what had happened to him, and that he had quite a part to play for my Ka tet

1st read- didnt really give it much of a thought in all honesty, i just wanted to get to the action
    2nd read - rosalita, as roland had aged and matured and appreciated rosi.
    Susan in my opinion was only the lust of youth and was never really rolands love, that my dear readers was always the tower.
    rosi seemed to be so comfortable with roland and vice versa and i could see him returning to her one day.

cowardly bunch of bastards - apart from the plate throwing women

1st read, not so much
    2nd read - i do! due to his relationship with rosi and also his relationship with jake grows in this book, into a more father figure as opposed to a din.
    he was concerned for jakes friendship with benny because he knew it would come to no good

1st read - what the bloody hell!!!!! why!??????

2nd read - knowing what i knew had to come - i enjoyed this a lot better and appreciated more the complexity of Mia, as she was not really another figment of Susannah but a whole other being. - i actually liked this story line on the 2nd read, esp roland following into the bog

i thought the wolves would be something like the lowmen, so i was surprised when they werent. i did feel the battle was surprisingly short, but then again it would be in real life

Look out! Lily-sai is on a distinguished road Lily-sai's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

When Oy stood up and said 'Oy! Eld! Thankee!'. aww.

All those Mia's visits to the 'Palace' (I'm not sure of the correct name, I read it in Finnish). It just.. disgusted me, but that was a part of the story, so I bore with it.

Yes. I haven't read Salem's Lot, but I liked Pere Callahan instantly. A great addition to Roland's ka-tet, though just temporarily.

I think with Rosalita it was just sweet, gentle affection, not true love. And with Susan it was the love of youth, overdramatic and fierce. So I can't choose between them.

I sympathised with them, because though I don't have children, I have two little brothers I pratically raised all myself when I was 14, and they're very dear to me. So I think I would have mixed feelings about fighting against Wolves - I'd want to destroy them, but I would also be afraid of losing my children.

I liked him all the same, my feelings towards him didn't change.

I felt so sorry for Susannah, and oddly, for Mia, too.

I really didn't know what they would be, I was completely clueless. The battle was great, full of strong emotions and action.

"...neither the stupid jokes nor the easy surface emotions were the truth of Cuthbert Allgood."

Traveler Josh19 is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

The Ka-tet arriving at Calla Bryn Sturgis; Roland's dancing, Oy's talking and Eddie being forced to make a speech by Roland were all good. Also, just before and after the fight with the Wolves when Roland tells off Slightman the Elder

Mia's parts mainly because the split personality bored me in TDotT and was even worse here with yet another personality. The bits when the ka-tet went todash were also fairly boring, mainly because I don't really care for New York having never been there or even into the USA.

I haven't read Salem's Lot but I liked him immediately because it made a change to find a religious person in a King book who isn't the sort of person you'd want to punch such as the Mother from Carrie, and Frannie's Mother in the Stand. He was generally an awesome guy what with the vampire fighting and not talking any crap from the cowards in Calla Bryn Sturgis.

I preferred Rosalita by far; hated Susan because she took Roland away from his friends and upset Cuthbert, who's my favourite character from the "flashback" in WaG.

I despised most of them for only joining in with the good times such as the dancing and the friendly talking with the ka-tet, and leaving the fighting and planning to the others. I admired the people who did fight, however.

My opinion of him didn't change much, to be honest. We'd already seen his human side in WaG and his coldness in the Gunslinger but it was nice to see him feel a lot more comfortable with Eddie, Susannah and Jake, even if he did keep the secret of Mia.

"Great. Another split-personality story" Kept that opinion right to the end of the book and I still have it now.

When I got the book I flipped through to look at the illustrations and saw Eddie shooting Andy which I assumed to be one of the Wolves. So I guessed that the Wolves were robots, which made me right, but for the wrong reason.

Gunslinger Apprentice AcidBumbler is on a distinguished road AcidBumbler's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Hmm... the bit when Oy and Jake sneaked in and caught Andy and Ben out.
    And the battle.
    OOO and the bit where Callahan finds out he's fictional!

The bits with Tia in... she annoyed the hell out of me for some reason.. o.O

I loved being able to read about him again! I really liked him in 'Salem's Lot, so it was good to know what happened to him. Also, it definitely made me respect him more and I was glad to read that he recovered from Barlow's ''bite'' in the end.

There's no contest... Susan.
    Bird and Bear and Hare and Fish

I found Took very cowardly and conceited. I sympathised with the ones who went against Roland's ka-tet at first, but eventually I just ended up annoyed at them for being so pig-headed. Notice how the ones who weren't threatened were the ones to go against the uprising? Wonder why...
    Although I'll admit I did feel a little sorry for him when they knocked the hat off his head and drove him away. Though he did deserve it, so... =/

More. Much more. The more I read about Roland, the more I love him. He's brilliant.
    And I really don't like the dry twist and rheumatiz getting at him... he's too amazing to end up like that ¬_¬
    Plus, I think Wolves of the Calla shows a much more vulnerable side to Roland. A more human side, if you get me?

Not much surprise... it had to happen.
    BUT I still really liked and welcomed that turn; it definitely made it much more interesting.
    It was pretty revolting when she started eating frogs and all that, but it was really effective.

I didn't have any idea, if I'm honest...
    The closest I could've come to guessing was that they might've been some kind of mutie human with a sensitive spot on their foreheads.
    The battle was very satisfying; I felt really scared for Jake and Benny when Frank screwed up like that. It was horrible that Benny died, too, but that made it more epic.
    Brilliant example of King's genius.
    Last edited by AcidBumbler; 06-22-2009 at 01:53 PM. Reason: Forgot to add about Roland's 'human' side :)
    If you love me, then love me - Susan Delgado

The world eventually sends out a mean-ass Patrol Boy to slow your progress and show you who's boss - Stephen King

Will always love Paul Aaron Mills; He is the Roland to my Susan

Gunslinger Apprentice AcidBumbler is on a distinguished road AcidBumbler's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Lily-sai View Post
    I forgot about that!
    Definitely that bit, too xD
    And the bit when Oy says "Kiyet, ka"

The world eventually sends out a mean-ass Patrol Boy to slow your progress and show you who's boss - Stephen King

Country
    Country Flag

Oh and, just to add... another of my least favourite bits was Callahan being a complete tw** by not allowing Susannah to even contemplate abortion.
    What right did he have to force his beliefs down on them like that? None whatsoever.
    I partially blame him for Mia having her little triumph at the end there.
    Chap indeed... ¬_¬

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by AcidBumbler View Post
    Oh and, just to add... another of my least favourite bits was Callahan being a complete tw** by not allowing Susannah to even contemplate abortion.
    What right did he have to force his beliefs down on them like that? None whatsoever.
    I partially blame him for Mia having her little triumph at the end there.
    Chap indeed... ¬_¬
    Callahan had no other choice. He stood for his belief and for his God.

Roland would have understood.

The Thermals cody44 is on a distinguished road cody44's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Since I just finished this story, I'll contribute.

Pere Callahan's story, and the skipping between different whens. I also liked Andy's death by Eddie, and of course the final battle.

Susannah and her midnight outing. I really don't like Mia.

I loved having Pere Callahan back, he was so emotionally scared at the end of Salem's Lot, and I love seeing him have a shot at redemption.

I think Susan was Roland's real love, and it seemed to me Roland was just enjoying Rosalita's company and the body rubs. I don't however think Rosalita and Roland would have ever been able to love as deeply as Susan and Roland.

I sympathized with the people who tryed to stand up for their town, like Pere Jafford and Molly, but I thought a lot of them were weak. I did like a few of them though, the Jaffords, Sisters of Oriza, and Benny.

I think Roland was true to his character in this story, he acted how I thought he would, and I think he knows the tower is drawing close.

I hated it at first, but I want to see what happens. The end was a huge cliffhanger.

I thought they would be creatures out of Thunderclap, but I thought they may be robots because of the Dogan. I'm more interested in who Finli O'tega is. The battle as awesome, and one of my favorite parts. A lot of building up to that moment.

I regret leaving my soul
    I forgot I needed it, to feel
    maybe when I die
    I'll just grab it real quick

Gunslinger Apprentice lisaki is on a distinguished road lisaki's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Q

When Jake asked Roland if he could spend the night in Benny Slightman and we feel that his chlildhood is so fragile but very much alive. King ended that chapter saying something along the lines "he said to his new friend that, yes, they'd play". I cried.

The introduction of Mia. I started to like the character much later.

I ve read "Salem's Lot" and I was very happy to "see" Pere Callahan again. I was also happy to read about Ben and Mark.

I was surprised to see so many people prefer Roland's + Rosa's relationship over Roland's + Susan's. We dont know anything about this relationship! We learn almost anything about them, except that they sleep together. We don't even know how they feel about each other, and we never learn Rosa's story or see a narration from her point of view. In SoS there's a nice scene with Rosalita but that's it. There's no comparition...

Some very interesting characters in Calla. Tian's family was great, loved the playground scene with Eddie. The Slightmans were also excellent, and I loved Margaret.

I didn't like the fact that he tried to keep secrets from the ka-tet. I'd like the ka-tet in this story to be stronger, not weaker. But he was Roland. And all this physical pain he went through made him more loveable in my eyes.

Like someone else said "NOT AGAIN!!!"

I figured it out early, the book has many-many hints. I liked the battle because it was short. I don't like reading about battles a lot. I prefer dialogue

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by lisaki View Post
    [B]
    I was surprised to see so many people prefer Roland's + Rosa's relationship over Roland's + Susan's. We dont know anything about this relationship!
    We do know far more than enough about the other one, though.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    We do know far more than enough about the other one, though.
    So? Does this fact give us the "right" to decide which relathinship was "better"? It's like chosing the best girl/boyfriend for your kid. What about his/her opinion? Im sure everybody knows that Roland would chose Susan without a second thought if he could. He wouldn't even consider staying with Rosalita if he had to make a decision like that. And, maybe, we know that much about that relationship and so little about the other because the writer himself decided which was and wich wasn't important. Im sure SK could easily make SoS another 300 pages long (WoC is already a big novel) if he wanted us to consider Rosa as an important character.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I am sorry lisaki, it was only a joke. Seriously, though, I do believe that Roland/Susan relationship had no future, while Roland and Rosalita could be a success, under propitious circumstances; developing it further in this thread would be off-topic, but there's a long discussion on the subject here.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    I am sorry lisaki, it was only a joke.
    I know
    But I thought I should answer anyway
    Thanks for the link

Traveler yesterday's_eyes is on a distinguished road yesterday's_eyes's Avatar

Oy introducing himself/Jake shooting the plates.

The whole banquet hall Mia thing

Loved Callahan.

Rosalita and Roland

Depends on who it was. I really hated some of them and liked others.

More definitely. I love Roland in this one.

Not my favorite storyline but what can you do.

I really hadn't thought that far ahead. I really love the battle though.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by yesterday's_eyes View Post
    <...>
    Loved Callahan.

<...>
    Rosalita and Roland

<...>I really love the battle though.

Gunslinger Apprentice MPatrick is on a distinguished road MPatrick's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I've been slowly reading through the series again, and finally read this book for the second time. I LOVE this book! From Pere's story, to Oy's greeting, all the way to end with the bookcase. Of course, it's based very highly on one of my favorite movies as well, and I loved that there wound up being 7 of them to stand.

I loved this book so much I can't just pick one. I loved how it really got into how diplomatic you need to be when you are a gunslinger. I know we were given pieces of information regarding the old ways, but seeing them in action was a blast.
    One of my favorite lines of the series has to be: "For Gilead and the Calla! Now gunslingers! Now, you Sisters of Oriza! Now, now! Kill them! No quarter!" Just awesome at it's awesomest!

Jean's moment of Mia in the woods is up there for me. I was concerned about the new "other" in Susannah's mind.

When Benny the Younger died. I could almost feel Jake's pain.

I've actually never read Salem's Lot. Saw the bad movie and the more modern day mini-series. But I hardly remember the old movie, and I saw the mini series after reading Wolves. I did like the tying in of another of his worlds though.

Susan is the "one", while Rosa was more of a companion. Apples and oranges really.

I have to say both. I could understand the fear they live with, but at the same time how do you not protect your children? For the most part, I sympathized.

Definitely more! I loved the struggle he had when holding secrets. Loved the conflict we really get to see going on his mind.

First reaction was "Uh-Oh"! Really worried about it, and was afraid that it was going to ruin what otherwise was a fantastic story.

At first, I thought the Wolves would be some kind of vampire or supernatural creature. Once the talk of the horses all looking the same, and more hints that they had seen this type of thing before, I started figuring what they really were.
    I loved the battle! I love the fact that it wasn't this sprawling 100 page battle, but a snapshot of the 5 minutes Roland talks about. I could almost hear the "light sticks".

Look out! Lily-sai is on a distinguished road Lily-sai's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by AcidBumbler View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily-sai View Post
    I forgot about that!
    Definitely that bit, too xD
    And the bit when Oy says "Kiyet, ka"
    Forgive me for asking this - where was this again?

"...neither the stupid jokes nor the easy surface emotions were the truth of Cuthbert Allgood."

Public enemy number 1 Sickrose is on a distinguished road Sickrose's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Roland remembering Jericho HIll

The start of the Mia storyline

Yes and I have read Salem's Lot but a while ago. I had more respect for him after reading about his life after the lot.

Susan and Roland

I sympathised but also found them annoying when they thought they could tell Roland and his Tet what to do. It's not for them to tell Knights of the Eld what to do!

I liked him more especially the blossoming father-son relationship between Roland and Jake it's touching.

I didint like the whole Multiple personaility thing. Again with that!

I thought they would be vampires and I found the battle satisfying. Roland's kept saying that it would all end in those five minutes. i liked how they all sprang up from the ditch and kicked arse!!

Gunslinger Apprentice Delacroix is on a distinguished road Delacroix's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

=> The whole Dogan stuff. I really like to have a glimpse at a whole mysterious strcture thourgh a detail. The Dogan is a detail, a small part of the whole North Central Positronics and Lamerk business.
    There is nothing I enjoy more than uncovering, step by step, the skeleton of a dead giant. Understanding all the rules of the ancien world, trying to see how they lived and discovering all what they had set up for a futur that never came. I found all this in Andy and the Dogan, even if that's a very small part of the book.

=> Meet Black Thirteen. I loved the feeling of absolute power coming out of that glass ball.

=> Gosh when I saw the name of Stephen King inside his own book, I felt like screaming. I just can't stand authors featuring their own story.

=> Never heard of him before.
    He really attracted me at his first appearance as a strong old guy, during the Town gathering. I didn't really enjoy his story though, and I was as pissed as Eddie when he refused Susannah to get rid of the monster inside her. But again, all things serves Ka, so did he.

=> Wow, I can't compare that. The Roland and Susan relationship is very set on a very long period, unlike Roland and Rosalita's.

I'd rather compare Roland/Rosalita to Jonas/Coral, both aren't much told about. Both are quite subtle and very true. Roland and Susan are very classical and like Romeo and Juliet.

=> First I was confused, I didn't know who was who. Even if it got better as the story went on, I kept looking up from the book and think hard each time I saw the name of Overholser, Eisenhart or their wives'...
    In the end the one I prefer is Slightman the father.

=> The folken as a whole aren't really easy to think of. I can't really say if I like them or hate them.

=> LESS, I'm stupid and I know it, but each time Roland steps away from who he was in the first tome, my affection for him decreases. I fell in love with that man that could let a kid fall to his death, just to chase his Tower.

=> I thought it was a good idea. It really fits the wild creature always sleeping in Susannah's body. Detta was another version of that same creature. I'm not the tiniest bit disturbed by Mia eating raw frogs (cuz I'm french, duh!) or other stuffs.

=> I thought the wolves would be some kind of vampires or human-like creatures. I thought they would be incredibly clever, incredibly strong (even bare-handed) and that combined to their amazing weapons, their skills would make them the toughest enemies Roland had ever met. :-/

You can imagine my disappointment.

=> ANTI-CLIMAX. A whole big book coming down to that. I was really disapointed.
    During pages and pages you're given the impression that Roland is preparing a great plan with lies and traps and ambushes (yes, many of them) and various battles. In the end they spurt out of a ditch and take down all the said-to-be-dreadfull wolves that turn out to be...Marvel characters?!
    I'm sorry to say so but I didn't like it.
    -What do we usually do about bad things that aren't of our concern?
    -Well...we laught about it.
    -Then, my friend, once you're in the grave death might be a lot more fun than what we expect.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast