Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Wolves Of The Calla Q&A. *spoilers

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Wolves Of The Calla Q&A. *spoilers

Thanks Maer, for delegating WotC to me - I do love this book!!
    To me, we really get to see our ka-tet in action as gunslingers are meant to be in this story. There's something for everyone - action, suspense, romance, the supernatural...so tell me...

What was your favourite moment of this book?

What was your least favourite moment?

Were you pleased to be reacquainted with Pere Callahan? If you have read Salem's Lot, did it affect whether you were able to like/respect him?

Which relationship did you prefer? Susan and Roland or Rosalita and Roland?

What was your opinion of the Calla folken? Did you find them cowardly, or did you sympathise with them?

Did you like Roland more, or less in this story? Did you feel you saw a different side of him?

What was your initial reaction to the Susannah/Mia storyline?

What did you think the wolves would be? Did you think the battle was satisfying or an anti-climax?

Oh yeah, fuck Greta Shaw

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

what moments are you talking about - it's my f***king favorite book!

everything involving talks is my favorite moment. Debates and palavers and negotiations and backstories

everything involving Callahan or Andy

Mia having dinner at the swamp

Were you pleased to be reacquainted with Pere Callahan? If you have read Salem's Lot, did it affect whether you were able to like/respect him?

I was happy. Not only as a reader - as a man and bear. It was like something important in my own life was finally put straight.

Rosalita and Roland, of course. They were real.

What was your opinion of the Calla folken? Did you find them cowardly, or did you sympathise with them?

I sympathized with them a lot. Tian talking to them the first time is one of my favorite pieces of world's literature.

Did you like Roland more, or less in this story? Did you feel you saw a different side of him?

Of course more, and MORE, and MORE. I forgave him everything when I heard "For Gilead and the Calla". It was more than I ever had expected of him.

Mistrust. I wasn't sure I needed an additional storyline.

What did you think the wolves would be?

I don't think ahead when I read. At one moment (when Eddie knew who they were, and thought something like "should have guessed long ago) I just understood who they were, and then it proved correct.

Did you think the battle was satisfying or an anti-climax?

It was perfect. Unlike some previous occasions, it finally made me believe all those miracles we had known about gunslingers theoretically. Indeed, the preparations took forever, but the battle was the shortest possible with minimum victims - that's how a military genius works.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Palaver Castle Chef mia/susannah is on a distinguished road mia/susannah's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

For one, when Roland was dancing the Calla, and of course, the fight with the wolves, all moments of the book actually

What was your least favourite moment?susannah/mia eating all those nasty things

At first, I disliked Callahan, but as the story went on, I started to like and respect him a little. He would not be a favorite character of mine though

Rosalita and Roland. Rosalita was more mature and down to earth. The relationship seemed more real to me

I sympathised with them. It is hard to fight when you have no one that is willing to fight along side of you and you don't know that you can fight back

I love Roland in all the stories. But I did see a different side to him. He has started caring about others.

I love Susannah/Mia. Did not care for the parts where she ate the nasty things
    What did you think the wolves would be? Did you think the battle was satisfying or an anti-climax?
    I thought they would turn out to be some kind of mutants not robots. I was satisfyed with the battle. I was not happy that Ben died in the battle

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Jean, why did you like everything involving Andy?

Roland would have understood.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    Jean, why did you like everything involving Andy?
    he was, for me, the epitomy of all the more horrible sides of the whole saga. He incorporates lots of cultural contexts (obviously Pied Piper - less obviously the Third Reich, as I argued elsewhere); he is an animated mechanical toy; he is the very bottom of the bottomless abyss of human or non-human meanness; he is abomination incarnate, mocking and then betraying people who trust him... one of the scariest moments for me is when he is leading those laughing, singing kids down the street... and it is not at once that he is seen through by the ka-tet, either, and the whole process of the realization of his read purpose is great, too, - and, of course, the glorious shithouse finale!

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Great, great questions. Thank you, Lisa.

]What was your favourite moment of this book?
    Roland dancing commala. My favourite moment of the series.

I don't think I had any... I am drinking these books. But Andy often pissed me off.

I haven't read Salem's Lot but I did like Callahan from the beginning. He will never become my favourite but I was hooked on his backstory and all his words.

They are so so different that I can't compare them, cry your pardon. I could choose either of them but it wouldn't be correct. Both of them were real, nice and deep but way too different on different levels.

Sometimes I was damn angry with them but the more I read about them the more I got to love them.
    I could live there.

I don't really know... it's hard to tell because he was always my top favourite since my childhood. I can't say I loved or liked him more but my feelings got deeper and when he started to dance... I was crying.

First I was confused.. then surprised... then shocked... and there were things I was much more interested in (so many things were happening at the same time) still I liked it.

I didn't have the faintest idea.
    The battle was excellent.

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

My fav moment of this book is also my fav moment of the entire series.

"Oy. Eld. Thankee."

There really is no "least favorite" moment for me. I love the whole book. Sure, Mia's "feast" was repulsive, but it certainly shed some light on the nature of Susannah's pregnancy and the relationship between Susannah and Mia.

I initially read Salem's Lot so long before the publication of Wolves that I more or less forgot all about him until he reappeared. I was pleased to see him again mostly because of the way he handled himself in the early parts of the book [ie. encouraging the Calla folken to stand up for themselves].

Rosalita and Roland. Roland was much more mature at this point then he was at 14 so I felt the relationship was more honest, and something Roland really needed.

Can't it be both? I found them initially cowardly, but I certainly understand why they were that way since they had been terrorized for so many years. That said, I havementioned before that I have a HUGE amount of respect for Tian [he's one of my fav non-Tet characters in the series] and it is because he chose to stand before he knew about Roland coming and before he even had his neighbors on his side. Tian was the epitome of bravery for me. When the lives of your loved ones are at stake, it's better to stand and die than to cower and hide.

I liked him more, though I've never disliked him. I saw many sides of Roland in the Calla. Going back to my fav moment... when Oy introduces himself to the Calla folken, I saw a few interesting sides of Roland right there. It shows not only that Roland considered Oy part of the Tet, but showed that he knew exactly what he was doing as far as getting the folken on his side. It was a brilliant piece of strategy.

I thought it was cool and it made me a bit more interested in Susannah, who was beginning to get a bit dull.

From the first mention of "all grey horses" I suspected the Wolves were robots. I still think the fight was a good fight. Robots or not, there were a lot of them and they were deadly. I liked watching Roland's plans play out and how the tet and the sisters of Oriza came together to fight.

The White! MonteGss is on a distinguished road MonteGss's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Darkthoughts View Post
    The whole book!! I'm with Jean, this is the best of the series and I loved all of it. I admit, perhaps the long wait between 4 and 5 influenced me as I was sooooo excited when I finally read it but nevertheless, it's my favorite.

Difficult. I don't remember being displeased with anything. I did not like Andy for many of the reasons Jean found him interesting. He was another character I loved to hate.

It was awesome!! I only read Lot once before but I remembered him and I thought it was great. I loved his backstory that he told in the palaver scenes.

No question...easy. Roland and Rosalita. Rosa wasn't a silly little girl.

I agree with R_of_G on this one. Aren't they both? I also remember CK answering this question once and he said something I agree with. They were pretty much like most folk....some are good, some are brave, some are f*cking cowards, some are mean. King did a great job conjuring up a real community and overall my impression of them is a good one.

Roland kicks ass. Period. I'm not sure I would say we saw a different side to him but there is no denying he "grew" throughout the series. My mancrush for Roland never changed.

I liked it but I do wish Mia had been introduced earlier. Clearly, King had this storyline in mind way back in Wastelands. Roland noticed the signs back then and I wish she had made a little appearance maybe in (the crapfest of) Wizard & Glass.

I can't remember. I think I had a feeling but then again I remember being surprised. I liked the idea of the Wolves a lot though.

Great fight scene! I again agree with Jean...the battle should be quick when the brilliant Gunslingers are involved in it, planning it.

Oh yeah, fuck Greta Shaw
    Agreed. She wasn't all that.

Citizen of Gilead Ka-tet is on a distinguished road Ka-tet's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I have an exact part, i dont remember the quote. But its just before the battle with the wolves, roland says somthing that was really meaningful

The whole part with the dogan

Have not read salems lot, but i liked callahan

Susan hands down, Susan was Rolands true love.

Sympathy, i mean how can folk like that fight agaisnt creatures like the wolves?

We saw Roland as he should have always been, as a true gunsliger. I loved the side of Roland we saw in this book

Oh no, not again.

I had no idea what the wolves would be, and the battle was amazing.
    If you love me, then love me-Susan of mejis
    See the turtle, aint he keen? All things serve the fucking beam-Eddie of NewYork
    You burn prettily-Corwin of Amber

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

I love this book and not just because it has wolves in the title. Number 1 moment: "Oy. Eld. Thankee." Words fail me. My heart swells at that scene.

Anything involving the baby.

I was very glad to see him again - and to see him redeeming himself after 'Salem's Lot. He deserved a chance at redemption.

Rosalita and Roland. I really dislike Susan.

A bit of both. Tian's talk at the meeting, as Jean and others note, is powerful and amazing.

A lot more. Once again, I agree with Jean about Roland's calling "...and the Calla" in battle.

Blah. Can't stand babies as plot devices. WARNING series spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Indeed, it all turned out to be a whole lot of nothing. Mordred? Ugh. Mordred's fight with Roland? Double ugh. All those words could've gone to the real plot.

Before I even started reading I thought they might be some sort of Frankenstein monsters or programmed zombies. I forget when, exactly, I began to think they were robots.

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    It was perfect. Unlike some previous occasions, it finally made me believe all those miracles we had known about gunslingers theoretically. Indeed, the preparations took forever, but the battle was the shortest possible with minimum victims - that's how a military genius works.
    ^Again, agreeing with Jean on this. Great battle.
    Last edited by Woofer; 06-28-2009 at 07:59 AM.
    It'll take a lot more than words and guns,
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle.

The hands of the many must join as one.
    And together we'll cross the river.

Puscifer, "The Humbling River"

West Coast sarah is on a distinguished road sarah's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

everything Eddie.

Susannah eating naked at the creek and description of the frog.

Oh I loved that Callahan came back into play. I really liked his whole storyline.

Well, they are completely different. Roland was a child when he was with Susan and a man with Rosalita. I do love Rosalita and would have liked her to continue on with the tet. She would've done well in Blue Heaven.

There were what they were. Scared and trying there best to survive.

No. I saw him the way I always did I suppose. I feel like we got to know Roland for who he was best in The Drawing of the Three and The Wastelands.

Bleh, Honestly, I hoped Stephen King wasn't going to go there but after The Wastelands I guess I got used to the idea.

At first I wasn't sure but when Eddie figured it out, I guess I did too. I thought the battle was great. Loved it.

Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa
    Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa

sugarpop <3

Banned The Lady of Shadows is on a distinguished road

running into pere callahan again. god that moment rocked!

finding out that susannah was actually eating frogs and things - eeeeeewww.

absolutely loved meeting up with the pere again. i always wondered what happened to him after the lot and this was a wonderful surprise. it definitely affected not only whether i was able to like/respect him (yes to both) but it made me see him in a whole new light. i thought so little of him and he became a much larger person for me. a much bigger soul.

definitely roalita and roland. she was a real woman. she knew what she wanted and what he needed. she wasn't some little girl looking to be saved from her life. my greatest hope for roland is that when he is done looping he will find himself back with rosa.

for the most part i disliked the calla folken. there were many exceptions, don't get me wrong. but i thought they were cowards who wouldn't stand up for their children. they needed outsiders to come in and hold their damn hands. i don't care what is going on - you protect your children. period.

i loved roland in this story. he really became a hero for me here. i really, finally, understood what it meant to be a gunslinger. i really, finally, understood what the world must have been like to have gunslinger available. and i really respected his abilities.

i hated this book the first several times i read it. it was at the bottom of my list for so long. now it has moved up, way up. i finally understand it i think. my initial reaction was disgust and anger (anger that this was happening to her again, anger that eddie didn't notice); my reaction this reread was sadness and compassion.

i don't know what i expected of the wolves. but then when the reveal came i thought - of course, what else could they be. and i remember feeling really stupid that i didn't see it coming. i thought the battle was very satisfying. and very dramatic.

Oh yeah, fuck Greta Shaw
    oh yeah, greta shaw is the bomb.

Gunslinger Apprentice Tony_A is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Everything, but mainly Jake's struggles after learning of Slightman's treachery. Really showed his struggle between being a gunslinger and a kid.

Not much I didn't like

EXTREMELY pleased. Good to know that he was given a second chance and used it farily well.

You never forget your first love, but that doesn't mean you can feel for someone else. Besides, she helped him with the dry twist.

They are extremely cowardly. I don't have kids of my own, but my parents would sacrifice themselves for me and my siblings, and I'd like to think I'd do the same. However, it is very easy to accept the seemingly inevitable.

My opinion of him didn't really change much. He's pretty much the same, IMO

My first reaction was "another personality?? How much more can she take??"

After reading Jamie Jafford's story, I suspected they were like Shardik because of the picture of the wolf being killed and Eddie's reaction.

As for the battle, it pretty much went the way I thought it would.

Forgetful Fantasy-Maker Tiffany is on a distinguished road Tiffany's Avatar

Toronto, Ontario (but I'll probably always call Texas home).
    Country
    Country Flag

The introduction of the gunslingers to the calla-folken, especially Oy's. I also loved Roland asking them two of the three questions, then asking Zallia Jaffords the final question very nonchallantly.

The introduction of Mia. I hate her.

It's been too long since I've read Salem's Lot but I did remember him and was happy to see him.

Roland and Rosalita. She seemed good for him.

I sympathised with them. There were definitely a couple that I didn't like (Took, the shopkeeper) but for the most part, I liked them.

I liked him about the same, which is to say a LOT! I did feel like he didn't seem quite so hard in this book.

"I don't care if she DID let Susannah take part in the battle before taking over...I can't stand her already. She made Susannah eat a frog!"

I wasn't really sure what the wolves would be. Like Jean said, I don't usually think ahead when reading. I like to be surprised when I come to the resolution or when a mystery is solved. As for the battle.....LOVED IT. I found it to be very satisfying and exciting.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”-Mark Twain

Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me....Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.
    -Shel Silverstein

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Can I have two? For some reason I found the part when they went todash and found New York (and another set of legs for Susannah) again. It was just such a magical scene. Another was Pere Callahan's back-story. EDIT- Oh yeah, that whole bit with Jake hiding out in the dogan and listening in on Andy and co, I found that very exciting. Ok that's three points..., never mind.

I'm not sure. It was a bit slow going in places, what with the wandering around, and planning... but I didn't really dislike that either. Maybe how quickly the final confrontation played out.

I also thought it a bit convenient that the only long range weapons the Wolves had was their sneetches. True they're fearsome weapons, but easily despatched by trained gunslingers. At the start we were led to believe they had guns too, which would have posed more of a threat. It also seemed a bit convenient that the Wolves were the kind of robots with thinking caps, although I can understand the logic of that, being specialized drones, likely controlled from a faraway source rather than sentient like Andy. That last is small potatoes though.

I was very pleased! I rather liked him in Salem's Lot, and I liked the character he had become, and found his back-story most interesting.

I'm not all that fussed with relationships really. I found the first with Susan a bit sappy, but it was true love so I guess I'll go with that one. I think Rosalita was a good character mind. I just found that relationship rather casual. (For some reason it bugged me that Roland's squeeze so happened to be the best plate thrower besides Suze though. I like 'special skills' to be spread out more fair like, but that's not really life, so fair enough.)

A bit of both I think. I found them a bit irritating at the start, but when they were given a push they stood true. With some exceptions.

More in some ways, less in others. It was certainly interesting to see more of the diplomatic side of him, something we were introduced to in The Waste Lands. I didn't like it when he threatened those men who watched the Riza training though. I understand why he did it, and he likely wouldn't have carried out his threat as he said himself that he knew they would talk anyway, but I didn't like it.

I was very intrigued.... but part of me thought "Oh no, not that other personality nugget again."
    Spoiler:
    Of course it turned out things weren't quite what they seemed, but we didn't know that at this stage did we?
    It felt a bit out of the blue, since we get the impression that those little forays into the wild had actually been happening for quite some time, but I found it all rather fascinating and not a little gross.

At the start I thought they might be the wolfs enlisted from the Territories. But then I thought, why the masks?

>Oh yeah, fuck Greta Shaw

No thank you... although that saying "more bounce for your ounce" has a certain attraction...

Naughty boy! I know....

Citizen of Gilead Empath of the White is on a distinguished road Empath of the White's Avatar

Oops, forgot this part. Heh. In Callahan's tale the meeting with Sayre. I liked the incorporting of the low men and the vampires.

Susannah running off to New York.

I was definitley able to respect him. The part where he refused to abort Mordred was very interesting because I wasn't entirely sure if he had actually regained his faith. It still seemed very shaky, and that even without it he would still follow the traditions was interesting.

Rosalita and Roland; gave me some pick up lines. Thankee sai Kig.

I could sympathise with their plight but not the choices of certain folken. Calling them collectively cowardly seems unfair; look at Tian and the Pere.

Tell ya true I missed the more intimidating side of him. Him getting a bit softer seemed odd.
    Spoiler:
    I kinda missed the Roland who wouldn't have hesitated to kill the traitor Slightman. The dark, slightly scary protagonist is what brought me to the series!

50/50

I thought they would be undead from Thunderclap with augmentation from old Positronics/LaMerk robotics. The final battle was satisfying and true as Roland said.

And cause I wanna be with the cool crowd, fuck Gretta Shaw.

After reading the arguments that are pro fuck Gretta Shaw, I find myself agreeing with the pro fuck Gretta Shaw crowd. I suspect she is/was a sleeper agent of the Red.

empath - do you not have a favorite moment?
    and why do you assume that they are the cool crowd?

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Empath of the White View Post
    as opposed to what?

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Quote Originally Posted by turtlesong View Post
    empath - do you not have a favorite moment?
    and why do you assume that they are the cool crowd?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    as opposed to what?

so woofer? what exactly are you trying to say here?

My Mood
    Worried

I mean: Be the ball, Danny. Be the ball.

Gunslinger Apprentice Whitey Appleseed is on a distinguished road Whitey Appleseed's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The Priest's Tale, all parts of it.

Can't think of one at the moment.

Yeah, you betcha! I've had those same dharma blues, or something.

Neither one over the other. Though I enjoyed the sub-text to do with Rosalita's privy and rather than state the multiple connotations therein, (for me and I don't matter...I'll get off the lawn after I finish Book 7) I'll leave that part of the page blank.

Cowardly, though I could sympathize with their position, to a degree. They don't fit Susannah's perfect definition of a ka-mai: one who has been given hope but no choices. They made a bad choice until the gunslingers arrived.

Though that storyline is developed more in the next book, and one could use that book to make a fairly persuasive argument here in this section of the board about Mia and what may or may not have happened with her and the rose, I dunno, delaying...don't recall my initial reaction, probably enjoyed it because on multiple readings I caught things I missed the first speedy time through.

Took me a couple reads to realize what the wolves are...d'oh! as Homer Simpson is wont to say. How the seven hid hits close to home for personal reasons. Yeah, the battle seemed like it was portrayed as I thought it should have been.

Gunslinger Apprentice EdwardDean1999 is on a distinguished road EdwardDean1999's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Eddie v. Andy
    -or-
    Eddie v. Balazar's men

Jake's coming of age via
    Spoiler:
    Benny's death
    . It was only the least favorite because of the huge downer note.

yes.

Rosalita? She meant about as much to him as Alyce of Tull. Susan by far.

Simple. They reminded me of the people in the small town I just moved too. They don't want to be bothered by change.

I liked him more. I saw Roland more as a father to the katet. In books 1-4 SK kept referring to the relationship between him and Jake as Father-son, but I didn't really feel that bond until W of the C

Seriously? The split personality thing again? I thought we overcame this.

Once you learn the secret from Grandpere you think, man the katet could knock this out in their sleep. I was expecting a slaughtering of the Wolves. I was impressed that they did so much damage. I liked the battle sequence.

Gunslinger Apprentice EdwardDean1999 is on a distinguished road EdwardDean1999's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

[QUOTE= How the seven hid hits close to home for personal reasons. [/QUOTE]

Can I ask how it hit close to home, or is it too personal to bring up?

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by EdwardDean1999 View Post

Rosalita? She meant about as much to him as Alyce of Tull. Susan by far.
    Huh, why do you think so?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast