Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: The Very Best Book You Read Last Year

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

My best book of 2008 was:
    The Pilo Family Circus

Top marks for originality and being such an engrossing read - totally recommend it

Feev, I bought Fevre Dream last week because you enjoyed it so much

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I have to say Pilo Family Circus was best for the year for me also.

And Feev is right; Fevre Dream is a great book.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

For 2008, it was Clinton Heylin's The Act You've Known for All These Years: A Year in the Life of Sgt. Pepper and Friends.

This was a very interesting look into an album many know inside and out. More than that, it put the whole thing in context. The Sgt. Pepper mythos is huge, but I think this book reigned in the superlatives and gave an honest assessment of the music and culture of the time and where the album fit in.

Though I despise much of what could be labeled "musical criticism" I like Heylin's style. He has enough of a sensibility for history as he does music. I've read most of his work, much of it on aspects of music or the music business in which I am very interested. It helps that he seems to enjoy a lot of the same music I do. His Dylan biography is by far the most accurate and honest appraisal of Dylan I've ever read, as well as being an entertaining read. If I remember correctly without checking the history of this thread, I'm pretty sure I picked his From the Velvets to the Voidoids: A Pre-Punk History for a Post-Punk World as my very best book I read in 2007. There are still a few of his books I've yet to read and they are all on the radar for this year's reading so he could get the 3-peat. Stay tuned...

Gunslinger Apprentice The Cosmic Geek is on a distinguished road

The very best book I read last year was also the most heartbreaking for me.

It's titled Ghost Rider by Neil Peart, the drummer of the band Rush.

It's his bio basically about how he survived the most horrific thing to ever happen to him. In the course of a year his daughter died in a car accident, then his wife died of cancer. The book is about how he packed up his motorcycle and rode along "the healing road" as he called it, trying to make sense out of it all. He rode through Canada (where he lives), the US and Mexico.

Amazing, amazing story, one that literally breaks your heart.

Peart has other books out, The Masked Rider, about a bicycle tour he took through Africa, and two others, which I haven't read yet.

Forgetful Fantasy-Maker Tiffany is on a distinguished road Tiffany's Avatar

Toronto, Ontario (but I'll probably always call Texas home).
    Country
    Country Flag

My favorite book of 2008 is gonna have to be American Gods by Neil Gaiman.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”-Mark Twain

Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me....Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.
    -Shel Silverstein

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I have to agree with Jean: Duma Key. I loved it!

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

My favorite book from 08' was Speaker For The Dead - another excellent entry in the Ender series.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    The best book I read in 2008:

Duma Key
    Quote Originally Posted by Daghain View Post
    I have to agree with Jean: Duma Key. I loved it!
    and Duma Key would be it for me as well. I just loved that story.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

The Lord of Skytop. Gunkslinger has a spectacular aura about Gunkslinger has a spectacular aura about Gunkslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

For me it was "Miranda" by John Little. An unexpected gem.

Gunslinger Apprentice theyspunaweb is on a distinguished road theyspunaweb's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    My favorite book from 08' was Speaker For The Dead - another excellent entry in the Ender series.
    This series has for a long time been considered my favorite. Then I read the dark tower. They are both very special to me, I need to re-read the enders series over again to compare the two realistically.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

bump for year 2009

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

My best book of 2009 was probably Tim Powers Fisher King trilogy, which comprises of Last Call, Expiration Date and Earthquake Weather. Really unique and powerful writing.

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Best book of 2009 was Something Wicked This Way Comes.
    Sloth Love Chunk

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Lovecraft Collection. It competed in my heart with 20th Century Ghosts, and won.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

West Coast sarah is on a distinguished road sarah's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

The Best Book that I read in 2009 was The Pillars of the Earth. It came out several years ago and has been on my bookshelf for a long time. I finally got to reading it and loved it. Recommended.

Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa
    Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa

sugarpop <3

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

My vote has to go to World War Z by Max Brooks. A close second is his The Zombie Survival Guide: Complete Protection from the Living Dead . Both were great.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I have to say it was The Story of Edgar Sawtelle. I had real trouble getting into it, but it was definitely worth the effort.

John

Gunslinger Apprentice lowdown is on a distinguished road lowdown's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

i read DT7 this year so ill bow out ......but i think between duma key and wolves of calla ...its a tough call

I'm nonviolent with those who are nonviolent with me. But when you drop that violence on me, then you've made me go INSANE, and I'm not responsible for what I do

Malcolm X

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Oh this was tough. It would probably be The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield, but a very close runner up would be The Terror by Dan Simmons. It's hard for me to choose one over the other as I absolutely loved both of them.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

The Thermals cody44 is on a distinguished road cody44's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

My favorite book that I read in 2009 would have to go to IT

I regret leaving my soul
    I forgot I needed it, to feel
    maybe when I die
    I'll just grab it real quick

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I read to many really good books to pick a best.

If you rescue me

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

妖怪 ola is on a distinguished road ola's Avatar

I was racking my brain. Then I realized that I read The Dark Tower this year. Duh.

Also, I got excited because I saw jayson's post and thought it was from this year. How sad is that.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

very

If you rescue me

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Flowers for Algernon

Roland would have understood.

Along the Path of the Beam special k is on a distinguished road special k's Avatar

best book i read in 09' was probably world war Z.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast