Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: If you HAD to choose, which would you pick?

Voters
141. You may not vote on this poll
  • Original Gunslinger

73 51.77%
  • Revised Gunslinger

68 48.23%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Original or Revised, if you HAD to choose

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

it nearly happened to me - I also mentioned somewhere that if I hadn't had Book 2 at hand and if I hadn't been in hospital with no choice of books, I would have probably dropped the whole thing. But. After reading the whole thing, Book 1 makes perfect sense, exactly as it is.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Citizen of Gilead tamez is on a distinguished road tamez's Avatar

:rose:

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Book 1 makes perfect sense, exactly as it is.

yes!
    There are other worlds than these.
    "You brought your bitch to the Waffle Hut?"

"(859): You were wearing a sombrero. And a crown. And told me to use the nerf gun to protect your room from the cat. You don't have a cat."
    ~ texts from last night

Gunslinger Apprentice VolsToTheWall is on a distinguished road VolsToTheWall's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by sarajean View Post
    here's why i'm amused by this conversation:

for years, (prior to the release of the final three volumes) whenever i would convince someone to read the dark tower, i had to tell them to just push through the first one, cos it wasn't all that great in comparison to what came next. most people that i met/talked to about the subject agreed with that. now, suddenly, everyone is saying that it's their favourite. maybe it's just cos there are so many people who came into it late in the game. i don't know. what i do know is that i think the additions to the revised edition are fun. it's kind of like a bool hunt, you know? i don't think it feels forced at all. but that's just my 2¢.
    I hear ya Sara, I found this thread amusing at first for the same reason. In fact, I remember when I first joined dot net before there was a revised edition of The Gunslinger, and how there were these threads dedicated to how people hated the original version and how they had to just push through it, and like you said, how it was difficult to get others into the series because of the first book.

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

[QUOTE=VolsToTheWall;18980]
    Quote Originally Posted by sarajean View Post

I hear ya Sara, I found this thread amusing at first for the same reason. In fact, I remember when I first joined dot net before there was a revised edition of The Gunslinger, and how there were these threads dedicated to how people hated the original version and how they had to just push through it, and like you said, how it was difficult to get others into the series because of the first book.
    Oh yeah I noticed that a lot.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

the new Mr. Amy Pond! Mordred Deschain is on a distinguished road Mordred Deschain's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

I just re-read the original again. I love it. I just started to listen to the revised edition (hate who's reading it though), But, I'm not sure if I like the add-ins and fixing the mistakes. I hate when art is messed with.

The Tardis (Time And Relative Dimension(s) In Space) duh!

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mordred Deschain View Post
    I hate when art is messed with.
    You sure sound like you're starting off without any bias...
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

the new Mr. Amy Pond! Mordred Deschain is on a distinguished road Mordred Deschain's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

Quote Originally Posted by All_Hail_The_Crimson_King View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mordred Deschain View Post
    I hate when art is messed with.
    You sure sound like you're starting off without any bias...
    LOL...ya...that's how I roll....

The Tardis (Time And Relative Dimension(s) In Space) duh!

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by tamez View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Book 1 makes perfect sense, exactly as it is.

yes!
    Let me join the club.

Roland would have understood.

Traveler stevesnow is on a distinguished road stevesnow's Avatar

I said the original. I'm rereading it at the mo, the first time I've read it in these post DT7 years and it seems like a much better and somehow "easier" read now than it was before.

Anyway, I'm not totally against the revision. Its a good piece of work for purely ironing out some of the inconsistencies that arise from the original version. What really stood out as annoying for me was the gunslinger and Brown (I think, and likely others too) speaking like the Calla, with all the do ya's and that. For me, that was something Roland picked up from the Calla, it seemed weird seeing it shoe-horned into the revised Gunslinger.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I agree with that, it was kind of weird after cutting my teeth on the original one to see that exchange happening.

Not sure it was totally necessary either.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, that ticked me off, too.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Psychopath William50 is on a distinguished road William50's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

To me, there is nothing better than the original!
    I have no faith in human perfectability. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active - not more happy - nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. - Edgar Allan Poe

Bunch together a group of people deliberately chosen for strong religious feelings, and you have a practical guarantee of dark morbidities expressed in crime, perversion, and insanity. - H.P. Lovecraft

Demon of the Prim Ruki is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

*scowls at revised gunslinger*

Breaker Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Original~it was my first Stephen King book, and is still very close to my heart

Traveler Sinistar is on a distinguished road Sinistar's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Definitely the original. Great point by some of you when you said that the revised felt like it was forced just to go with DT2-4. I disagreed with SK when he stated that he wasn't crazy about the original.
    "What have I become? My sweetest friend...everyone I know goes away in the end...and you can have it all...my empire of dirt...I will let you down...I will make you hurt..." --Trent Reznor

The White! MonteGss is on a distinguished road MonteGss's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by stevesnow View Post
    I said the original. I'm rereading it at the mo, the first time I've read it in these post DT7 years and it seems like a much better and somehow "easier" read now than it was before.

Anyway, I'm not totally against the revision. Its a good piece of work for purely ironing out some of the inconsistencies that arise from the original version. What really stood out as annoying for me was the gunslinger and Brown (I think, and likely others too) speaking like the Calla, with all the do ya's and that. For me, that was something Roland picked up from the Calla, it seemed weird seeing it shoe-horned into the revised Gunslinger.
    I like to think of The Dark Tower books as a loop. I start with the original Gunslinger and I read the series through and after DT7, I pick up the revised edition and read that through. It is an interesting way to see what happens after Roland reaches the final door. That would be a possible explanation of his calla speak.

Let the Right One In CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Original.

The original is harder to read and the revised is more accessible, but in the end, most of the changes were either pointless or ended up confusing the series' continuity more than it already had. If King were to dramatically alter events he should have done it in a way that it would still go seamlessly with the other books. There's so much from Walter's identity crisis to the shoehorning of the Crimson King that just wasn't need in the long run.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Gunslinger Apprentice sai delgado is on a distinguished road sai delgado's Avatar

My Mood
    Confused
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm biased as I haven't read the original, but I think that the revised one would be better as it would make more sense and flow with the rest of the series-it would be easier for people who are reading the gunslinger for the first time to make sense of it all as well.
    'He bowed low, right down to the ground, in front of the man sitting there motionless, whose smile reminded him of everything that he had ever loved in his life, of everything that had ever been of value and holy in his life.' Herman Hesse

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

I prefer the original. I read it so many times in that form that to me it rings as the "truer" one. Sure, it leaves a bit more up to speculation, but that's what I like about the series. If all my questions about DT were eventually answered, what the hell would I think about?

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by MonteGss View Post

I like to think of The Dark Tower books as a loop. I start with the original Gunslinger and I read the series through and after DT7, I pick up the revised edition and read that through. It is an interesting way to see what happens after Roland reaches the final door. That would be a possible explanation of his calla speak.
    I agree with this. I've read the original twice and the revised once (on my third read through) and really, from memory, I don't recall anything that blatantly stuck out as being a tremendous difference. I think King just wanted the first book to feel like Mid-World, maintain certain consistencies etc. The original is like a second draft and the revised is like a third. Going back after so many years. It's not uncommon for ideas to greatly change, especially in a series so long.

I think it comes down to which you read first. My friend started with the revised and the original would probably feel more wooden and vague than the revised.

Let the Right One In CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    I don't recall anything that blatantly stuck out as being a tremendous difference.
    Off the top of my head, the inclusion of the Crimson King, Walter's identity crisis and the addition of "19" absolving Roland of his role in Allie's death all come off to me as being pretty big differences.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

The White! MonteGss is on a distinguished road MonteGss's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

If I had to choose between the original or revised audiobook, I would choose Muller's original over Guidall's revised.

Quote Originally Posted by MonteGss View Post
    If I had to choose between the original or revised audiobook, I would choose Muller's original over Guidall's revised.
    so would i monte! no offense to guidall, but i prefer muller. guidall does a nice job finishing up the series though.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I like Muller. I still prefer King reading though. I wish he'd do the whole series, although I suspect that won't happen.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    I like Muller. I still prefer King reading though. I wish he'd do the whole series, although I suspect that won't happen.
    same here, i have king doing drawing of the three and that is fucking cool to hear the author himself like my douglas adams' books.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast