Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Wizard and Glass Q&A *spoilers

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    I believe that there are people made for each other.
    I don't. I believe that people make their own commitments.
    How are the two statements contradictory?

I know that you didn't much like this book, but it seems odd that you feel this way about Jonas and Coral while still maintaining that
    Why did Susan fall in love with Roland?

because the time has come that she fall in love with anybody

Why does it seem odd? There's nothing in common about the two couples, their life experience, nor the way they were written.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Nothing in common?! There are quite a lot.

Roland would have understood.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Well, they were people, male and female, the female lived in Mejis and the male was a newcomer; isn't that it? In fact, even if they had everything in common, I would still ask path the same question: how what I said about some people has anything to do with what I say about other people?

Traveler taniatank1 is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

On a scale of 1-10 (10 = best) what would you give to this book and why?
    I would give this book a 9 out of 10, near perfect but I felt the ending was a little rushed.

Which was your favourite part?
    My fave part was the saloon when cuthbert and alain took the coffin gang by surprise.

susan had accepted her life to be as she saw no other choice, then along came roland and he opened her eyes to new possibilities

What did you feel when Susan was dying?
    susan was brave in the face of death - she knew she was going to die and accepted it with dignity and with hope that roland could carry on

What was Roland's biggest mistake in this book?
    rolands biggest mistake was not killing Rhea of the coos on their first meeting but it was Ka

Who was the most disgusting character in this book?
    Rhea was the most disgusting character in this book, spiteful, cruel and happiest when other people were suffering

What do you think about Jonas and Coral's relationship? What was it like? Do you see any depth in it?
    coral and jonas was a meeting of minds abit like bonnie and clyde - it wasn't love but lust and both cold hearted

Whose death made you the happiest?
    Jonas death made me happiest, but I would have liked a bit more chat between roland and jonas before roland finished him off

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    ...If we choose a partner just because of these.. hm.. selfish wishes and instincts..maybe that's not love. It becomes love when you do find something priceless and lovable in that person. You realise that you love them because they are who they are.
    Susan did find lots of amazing things in Roland.
    just my 2 cents
    It's interesting, thanks. Whether this is what happened with Susan or otherwise, she did show amazing things in herself, as well, by the time she did the jailbreak.

I believe that there are people made for each other.
    I don't. I believe that people make their own commitments.
    How are the two statements contradictory?
    You caught me.

They're not. I just wanted to provoke discussion.

On the different couples, however, I may be misunderstanding. Do you not think that any of this
    ...You know where I stand on love - I believe that there are people made for each other. ... I am absolutely sure they were each other's everything in their brief time together, and in different circumstances could have grown old happily together...
    applies in the case of Roland and Susan?

Country
    Country Flag

No, I don't. The statement "there are people made for each other" involves its counterpart, "there are people not made for each other" (picture: winking bear. Note: photobucket won't work); well, such are Roland and Susan (picture: sad bear)

You caught me.
    (picture: dancing bear)

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

(candy: Don't you ever find nature disgusting?)
    i try my best not too, although in real life i have been known too
    odd and contradictory i know

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

...The statement "there are people made for each other" involves its counterpart, "there are people not made for each other"...
    Ah, but in that case, it may indeed be contradictory. There's harmony between doing what we choose and doing what we're made for only when we realize that they are the same thing. If we try to redefine one or both terms over should've, would've, and could've, then there is contrast.

If two people who are not made for each other try hard and get together, that just goes to show that they were made for each other, after all. And who are we to judge? That's just what I meant when I said that I don't believe that some people are made for each other; I do believe in destiny, but I don't believe that it can ever be an excuse.

Anyway, what's my point here? Well, consider: Would Jonas have put his relationship with Coral ahead of his loyalty to Farson? Probably not. And would he have put duty to the abstract good of preserving the Tower ahead of Coral? Again, probably not. So does that mean that his ethics were truer and better than Roland's? Is that what we're saying here?

(What a great thread this really is. In a few simple examples, there are questions on the definition of love, on the difference between fate and mistake, between choice and accident, on the nature of evil, on the difference between convention and righteousness, and many other deep issues. )

Gunslinger Apprentice AcidBumbler is on a distinguished road AcidBumbler's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

10. It's Stephen King, which already makes it at LEAST an 8, but the Dark Tower series is amazing. I'm really attached to all of the characters. ¬_¬

Cuthbert, Alain and Roland showing everyone in the tavern that they weren't just weak little children (the line-up type scene when everyone had weapons pointed at each other).
    Also, the part when Susan visited Rhea for the first time.

Who the hell wouldn't?

Knew it was gonna happen but it was still upsetting as hell.

Leaving Susan alone with Sheemie. He wasn't going to be able to protect her =|

Susan's aunt :@

What do you think about Jonas and Coral's relationship? What was it like? Do you see any depth in it?
    Purely sex. Nothing in it at all.

Jonas.

Country
    Country Flag

Path: the point is in not absolutizing the concept. Being or not being made for each other is as relative a thing as, say, a talent. You may or may not be talented for, say, playing the violin, or architectural design, or nursing; if you still pursue the line you're not talented for, you may or may not learn, and you may or may not become good at it; the more talented, however, you are, the better you will succeed and the happier you will be. Roland was not talented for Susan, while she was in that bloom of first youth when one - especially a girl - is gifted to bestow the force of her love on anyone, like a little child seems to be gifted for lots of things; it's later in life that one can say if he is really talented for anything.

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, I think that I do see better now where you're coming from, Jean. So, to answer your question, I always find it a little odd when positive regard is given to the ostensible villain of a story. It might be just me that is drawing a comparison, but I kind of think that that is partly what villains are for.

In my opinion, it is just as possible to make some absolute statements about talents as it is to make some about love affairs. Not as urgent, though. If you trade the guitar for the saxophone, no one gets hurt.

The thing is that I don't believe that Susan failed at love.
    I certainly don't believe that she should have been more like Coral Thorin. The latter woman was practical to a fault. If Susan had been as "wise" as her, I assume that she'd have gone on to do her business with the mayor and just kept Roland on the side. And, if Roland had been as "objective" as Jonas, he would probably have agreed.

I do think that healthy relationships require some cold reason, but not to the point of inhumanity. As the saying goes, "It's okay to have the boat in the water, as long as you don't have the water in the boat." The people who are most successful within the world are the worldly people... I think we go too far if this becomes our standard of true love.

Country
    Country Flag

path... while agreeing with all you said above, I am at a loss as to how it refers to my point??? Any analogy goes only that far, and my only point in bringing up the talent line was to show how that "made for each other" thing is relative, - only up to the point where the quantity turns quality, of course, as usual. Coral/Jonas relationships don't have anything to do with Susan/Roland, just like nobody has actually to do with anybody, every case and every person being unique. Calling Hendrix (if he traded his guitar for a saxophone, though, the whole mankind would have been hurt, there would be no replacement, by the way) a great guitar player is not the same as calling him a bad architect; calling anybody a poor architect doesn't mean they would make a great accountant; again, the analogy goes only that far, but I am in the complete dark as to where you took the "cold reasons" part, or that Susan should become like Coral.

And no, I don't think Susan failed in love... if was Roland who did, which, in my opinion, proves my point (the one about it taking two to tango as far as true love is concerned)... she, however, succeeded... ultimately... just as she would have if there had been most anybody else at Roland's place.

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

*sigh* What we have here is a failure to communicate.
    I thought that I explained better in my last post.

...Coral/Jonas relationships don't have anything to do with Susan/Roland, just like nobody has actually to do with anybody, every case and every person being unique. ...
    No man is an island. Again, it might be just me that is drawing a comparison... but I don't think that that's an entirely unreasonable means of interpretation.

Let me try to simplify discussion of where I think that you and I differ.

I think it was love.
    I disagree. Or, at least, I would not put it that way. What I said yesterday on the thread "Their Love" http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/...&postcount=135 shows what I think about it. Hopefully, most of what we're talking about can soon move there; I really don't want to mess up this thread, but it's hard to resist responding to some of the comments.
    ...I am in the complete dark as to where you took the "cold reasons" part...
    Why, from Coral Thorin, the businesswoman who thinks
    Folks would always want to drink and gamble and rut, no matter who they kneeled before in church, and no matter in whose name their taxes were collected.
    For the flowers of romance to mature into the fruits of marriage, both people must accept certain facts of life. I could be wrong, but I think that that was what you meant by
    ...Socks, armpits, tuneless whistling, will all be revealed as you live with the person you, allegedly, love... it's then that your love either grows stronger, or disappears, leaving only this frustration of your romantic anticipations (I thought she was an angel, and she belches after a glass of beer)
    Very true... yet the same process will eventually turn to rot. If her glass of beer turns into serious alcoholism, and you just try to cope and you learn to enable her, is that still love? It's one thing to accept that all of us are only humans, yet another to accept that we really are only animals.

...no, I don't think Susan failed in love...
    Okay. Thanks for clarifying.
    ... if was Roland who did...
    That does make more sense. However, I personally still think that in different circumstances R&S could have grown old happily together. They failed to overcome their sick society and the sickness of their cosmos... but that's not the same as not loving one another.
    IMHO, Susan would have failed at love if she had decided for herself that
    ...she would have (succeeded at love) if there had been most anybody else at Roland's place.
    ...and maybe jumping to that conclusion really was Roland's failure.

...Hendrix (if he traded his guitar for a saxophone, though, the whole mankind would have been hurt, there would be no replacement, by the way)...
    Here again, I think that you are begging questions of destiny and holism. You're talking about changing the past, but you're not thinking fourth dimensionally. If someone could somehow take away what Hendrix did, tomorrow, then we'd all have lost something precious... but if he had just not wanted to do it in the first place, then it simply would never have been. That's more than just theoretical: Turn it toward the future... How many fathers in history have insisted that their sons would be hurting all of mankind if they gave up the piano for their crazy architecture hobby? Supposed talent is, necessarily, only a part of the big picture in our lives.
    Anyway, what I was trying to say was not that art is less important than love, but that conscious understanding is generally more important in love, because it is so immediately personal.

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by candy View Post
    (candy: Don't you ever find nature disgusting?)
    i try my best not too, although in real life i have been known too
    odd and contradictory i know
    The problem is that once you'd decided that it would be wrong to hate people for following their natural instincts, you forgot that for you to hate them for that would have been natural.

Traveler yesterday's_eyes is on a distinguished road yesterday's_eyes's Avatar

9. I love the Oz stuff and the riddles with Blaine. I enjoy most of the backstory also.

The confrontation with Flagg and Tick Tock Man. Love love love that scene.

I don't know.

Sad I guess.

Not killing Rhea when he had the chance.

Rhea I suppose. I couldn't stand reading about her.

Not really, I felt like it was pretty pointless.

Jonas. I loved when he talked about how Roland was the fastest gunslinger he had ever seen (or something like that).

Gunslinger Apprentice MPatrick is on a distinguished road MPatrick's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

For me it would be 8.5. I loved Roland's tale, but felt the "current" story was lacking a bit.

Fave is tough. I would say the standoff at the bar to protect Sheemie, and I always get chills when Roland screams, "Hile Gunslingers, To Me!" Gets me every time!

Like a wind, it was Ka. Much like Cuthbert, I would say it's a weak explanation!

Sad. Angry. Felt like taking a blow torch to the whole town. Although, The Good Man most likely did...

I agree with many here, and SK himself (in the narrative). He should have killed Rhea when he had the chance.

Absolutely Rhea. Not a single redeeming quality.

I think the fact that they were both cold hearted pricks matched them up well to begin with. It didn't get into it much more, but you could see they were getting closer. I don't know if I would call it love, but definitely more then just sex. Although she did wind up with Clay.

Jonas, two shots to the face.

Public enemy number 1 Sickrose is on a distinguished road Sickrose's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The first ''if you love me then love me''

I reckon because he was so damn hot! She was lonely and he was all mysterious and from somewhere exotic.

Really sad especially when she says ''bird and bear..''

Not killing Rhea

Aunt Cordelia that woman was awful!

They were similar and, therefore, it worked.

Aunt Cordelia

Gunslinger Apprentice Delacroix is on a distinguished road Delacroix's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Let's being subversive!

=> My favorite part is when Sheemie is forced to lick the Depape's boots (or is it Reynold, I'm always confused between those two) , previously drenched with "Camel piss". Especially when he askes himslef if it can be sort of sexy.

=> Because the poor girl is Ka's toy... and cannot wait until the storm passes away before doing her little bush-buisness.

=> Sweet happiness, at least all this uncertain and naïve love was over, finally Roland could become Roland and stop being a teenage idiot.

=> Think he could have friends, a lover and stop Farson's men in the same time. Greedy boy, so he is!

=> Cuthbert, I'd have kicked his balls the way Avery wanted to if I was givent he chance. I just can't stand his foolish humor.

=> That was something true and somehow touching. Simple, direct and yet so powerfull! As we say I my neck of the wood "Qui se ressemble s'assemble."

Along the Path of the Beam Susan Delgado is on a distinguished road Susan Delgado's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Wizard and Glass
    I always loved Roland. Even when he seemed absolutely heartless he was close to me. But when at last I could read about his childhood and his first love I got to love and respect him even more.
    I couldn't put down this book if I remember well it took me 2 days to finish it.

On a scale of 1-10 (10 = best) what would you give to this book and why? 10. its my absolute fav, could you guess. i was 17 when i read it so maybe that was one reason why it had such an effect. it blew me away like an a-bomb

Which was your favourite part? i loved the Roland-Susan parts

Why did Susan fall in love with Roland? why why? i fell for him too, who wouldnt. dream guy having a dream-love affair with the dream girl

What did you feel when Susan was dying? i was sad ofc but not being entirely devoted to her i rather had sort of ambiguous feelings about it

What was Roland's biggest mistake in this book? altho im not as much as a fan of Susan as my profile would suggest, letting her die was pretty much a wrong move

Who was the most disgusting character in this book? not sure. Rhea was pretty gross but she was a bit too exaggerated at some points, turning into a parody. not sure if it was an intended effect.

What do you think about Jonas and Coral's relationship? What was it like? Do you see any depth in it? nothing it didnt leave a lasting effect

Whose death made you the happiest? not sure. its been a while since i last read the cycle

Along the Path of the Beam Doe is on a distinguished road Doe's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The Gunslingers ambushing their enemy in the field. ''Hile gunslingers, to me''

She needed to fall in love with someone, and Roland just happened to be there at that time, However I still think love is love, and they both were madly in it.

Hope, That somehow Roland would save her, or somebody would.

Not blasting Rhea in the face

Cordelia

I liked it, and partly hoped they would go off somewhere and try to be happy, but alas...they died!

Cordelia

Demon of the Prim RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

8 out of 10. Even though it's not my favorite book of the series, I liked it as a blast from the past sort of thing, which gave another dimension to Roland. And I liked Cuthbert. A lot.

Susan and Roland's first encounter on the road - love the thrill of meeting someone for the first time and the mix of feelings.

Why not? I agree with earlier posts that she was at an age when it happens very naturally.
    Other than that - can we always say why we fall in love ourselves? Sure, I can give a list of what attracted me in someone, but it does not mean that the next person with the same attributes will spark the same feeling.

As far as I remember, when I read the scene for the first time my immediate reaction was anger at the people of Mejis and their herd mentality.

Not realizing that he could not foresee and prepare for everything.

Rhea as an obvious baddie, and Cordelia as someone who was not exactly evil per se but was narrow-minded enough to become a tool.

I felt their relationship was quite interesting. To me, it's an antithesis to Roland/Susan relationship, where Roland and Susan ended up with feelings first and business second, while Jonas and Coral were both hardheaded and sexual attraction did not make them lose sight of other things. As someone else in this thread said, (I'm paraphrasing) for a relationship to work longer than short-term, beyond the infatuation phase, there has to be a certain degree of cold calculation behind it - I couldn't agree more.
    Since Jonas was killed, we had no chance to find out if they had too much of calculation in their relationship at the expense of everything else. But they were enough of 'birds of a feather', so perhaps even if they could not have stayed long as lovers, they would still have continued as accomplices.

Cordelia
    If you are going through hell - keep going

Citizen of Gilead Roland of Gilead 33 will become famous soon enough Roland of Gilead 33's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

it may just be me, from what i read on here, the different views of how this or that was Roland's fault. which partly it may have been there's no doubt. i haven't gotten that far yet. but i think part of it is also Susan's Fault as well. her actions were her own fault as well as his actions were.

so they take good share of the blame in her death as well.

Citizen of Gilead Roland of Gilead 33 will become famous soon enough Roland of Gilead 33's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

On a scale of 1-10 (10 = best) what would you give to this book and why? i also say about an 8. not the best in the series but i'm sure it won't be the worst either. i have yet to read them to before i can say what the worst one is.

Which was your favourite part? i think it was the part where we have Roland's Ka-Tet attack Jonas & His Gang that part was fucking awesome. was better than the actual battle that happend later on i think.

Why did Susan fall in love with Roland? i never gave it much though. i think part of it was cause he was a stranger, she was 16 he was a good looking guy. why do people fall in love? various reasons i'm sure.

What did you feel when Susan was dying? pissed, at how stupid Roland was, on how much he missed, but i don't think it was his fault she died. nor Sheemie's either. i blame Rea actually. i'd love to say her aunt but honestly, it feels like her aunt lost her mind really. than Rea got to her & hypnotized her & made her worse. & if Susan was easy to get hypnotized i wasn't surprised her aunt was as well.

the townsfolk just wanted folks to blame i think. they should have known better but didn't. a LOT of it i'm sure had to do with the cancelling of Reap Fair. & the blame on Roland & the boys. the reason that was given even Jonas agreed made no sense. none of the townsfolk wanted to open their eyes & see what was actually going on. they did open their eyes but it wasn't until Susan died. but by than it was just to late.

plus since everyone else that either Susan or The Blue Coffin Hunters killed. since they were too damn chicken to put any blame on them cause they would have been killed otherwise they put the blame on Susan & the boys.

What was Roland's biggest mistake in this book? i have to agree with thisNot realizing that he could not foresee and prepare for everything. or realize how much of a mistake it was to just leave Susan after she got kidnapped. his atitude of oh she'll be ok wasn't & didn't sound like Roland. which i'm sure he later regretted.

Who was the most disgusting character in this book? that would be Rhea she was pure evil & for me the MOST hated character, Roland should have shot her ass dead when he had the chance.

What do you think about Jonas and Coral's relationship? What was it like? Do you see any depth in it? i never gave it much thought actually. she was a sick twisted bitch & he was a sick twisted bastard so it really didn't matter to me if they hooked up or not.

Whose death made you the happiest? actually since we didn't get to actually see Cordelia die. but just later learn about it, i'd say Jonas actually.

Which was your favourite part? prolly the final fight with Jonas & his gang well part of it anyways, the 1st time we see Roland & his gang in Action. that was as i said already said fucking awesome.

who my favorite character is? that would be Cuthbert, he was funny as hell & i think it was a mistake that sai King Killed him, i know he lives in this book but i'm just talking about at some point.

Gunslinger Apprentice BigSchu22 is on a distinguished road BigSchu22's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

So, I just drove by Gage Park the other day and took a few quick pictures of Charlie the Choo-Choo and a bit of other things around the park if you guys wanted me to post here or another thread...
    Scorpius: Kill her. Then we'll have pizza and margarita shooters. Go on, John. Kill her. Do it. Do it.
    John Crichton: [aims gun at Scorpius instead] Nobody has margaritas with pizza.

Country
    Country Flag

post it in this thread

it seems to be there is another, more general, thread for real-life DT pictures (not only the tower itself), I'll either merge them when I find it or will move your pictures there. I just don't want them to be lost

if you find the other thread before I do, post there

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast