Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Wizard and Glass Q&A *spoilers

Forgetful Fantasy-Maker Tiffany is on a distinguished road Tiffany's Avatar

Toronto, Ontario (but I'll probably always call Texas home).
    Country
    Country Flag

On a scale of 1-10 (10 = best) what would you give to this book and why?
    I'd say 9. My first time around was 10 but now, it's a nine. I say that only because The Drawing of the Three usurped W&G as my favorite.

Which was your favourite part?
    When they lured the men into Eyebolt, the places where Susan stood up to Cordelia and of course, the catch-22 between the young and the old men.

Why did Susan fall in love with Roland?
    I don't really know. I like a mix of other people's answers: She's 16, she's vulnerable, she recognized Roland as a strong person.

What did you feel when Susan was dying?
    Sorrow, sadness, grief.

What was Roland's biggest mistake in this book?
    I always hated that he let Rhea live.

Who was the most disgusting character in this book?

It's a toss-up between Thorin and his sister.

What do you think about Jonas and Coral's relationship? What was it like? Do you see any depth in it?
    I think it was as close as those two could have been. They suited eachother well but I'm not sure it was much more than sex.

Whose death made you the happiest?
    Cordelia's.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”-Mark Twain

Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me....Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.
    -Shel Silverstein

Gunslinger Apprentice Tony_A is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

On a scale of 1-10 (10 = best) what would you give to this book and why? 7 - I thought there was too much of the backstory. It was important, but not as important as devoting most of the book to it.

Cuthbert bringing Roland to his senses.

Why do any of us fall in love? She found her soul mate.

What did you feel when Susan was dying? Sadness, even when I re-read it this past summer, and I'm 39.

Not killing Rhea, and forgetting the face of his father.

Cordelia and Coral

What do you think about Jonas and Coral's relationship? What was it like? Do you see any depth in it?

I actually liked the relationship. Even morally corrupt people can find love.

]Whose death made you the happiest?

Cordelia's.

Banned The Lady of Shadows is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by Tony_A View Post

<snip>

Not killing Rhea, and forgetting the face of his father.

<snip>
    the second part of this is very interesting. how do you think roland forgot the face of his father? when do you think he remembered it again? do you think he made a deliberate choice to forget it or do you think other things conspired to make him forget?

Gunslinger Apprentice Whitey Appleseed is on a distinguished road Whitey Appleseed's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

First time through, a 10. 2nd, still a 10. 3rd,4th...ah, 10. this last read...9...it's a great story...this last read seemed to drag a bit...maybe things happening outside the book made it that way.

I think the showdown in the saloon. Maybe when they tapped Oy's red slippers and he "simply looked at his own feet with a kind of disgusted bewilderment."

He was a big stud muffin compared to that old buck with the Roebuckers.

Probably early on...can't say for sure just when.

Not seeing Marten in himself, when he was with Susan...."unhappiness and shame are often no match for desire"...great quote close to the end.

Cordelia

What do you think about Jonas and Coral's relationship? What was it like? Do you see any depth in it? I asked a question like this on another thread, about Susan and Roland's love. How did their time "doin' in" differ from when Susan and Roland were "doin' it"? They seemed to pine for each other when part and made plans to be together, as did Roland and Susan. In the end, Coral took up with Reynolds, and they were a kind of Bonnie and Clyde. Why couldn't Roland see some of Marten, in himself, when he took up with Susan? Perhaps that realization would have helped him forgive his mother. Maybe his greatest fault in this book is that he couldn't forgive, couldn't see that the Bright Tower that was Steven and Gabrielle was that way (and did sai-king portray it that way?) because Steven knew for two years...the subtext being, I reckon, that for whatever reason, we can work it out was at play.

Dunno...death, what can you say...the death that upset me the most was the death of the old bastard.

Gunslinger Apprentice Whitey Appleseed is on a distinguished road Whitey Appleseed's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Probably early on...can't say for sure just when.
    RTFQ, Whitey...horrible way to go. I'm glad she was strong to the end, at least in that regard, not letting the bastards beat her by showing her pain. Hoo-yah.

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

I'm don't see the Roland:Marten::Susan:Gabrielle analogy being as straightforward as all that on either side of the equation.

Let's take the ladies first... Gabrielle was the wife of Stephen. Assumedly she married him because she wanted to of her own free will. I don't know what the divorce rates are in Gilead, but I assume this is a lifetime commitment she made to Stephen. She had an affair with Marten for whatever her reasons, but ultimately, she committed adultery. Susan, on the other hand, did not make a lifetime commitment to anyone, nor did she act entirely upon her own freewill. She was coerced by Cordelia into promising Hart Thorin one night of action and nine months of womb rental. After that, her deal was done. She said as much to Roland. For her to get involved with Roland is not equivalent to breaking marriage vows. If anything, I think Susan's decision to follow her own heart and mind was more honorable than what she had been promised to do.

And on the other side of things we have Marten and Roland. Is it really a simple matter of overpowering lust on both of their parts? I doubt it, and in the case of Marten, I also doubt that it was Gabrielle he was lusting after. She was a tool to him to manipulate both Stephen and Roland. There's been endless debate about whether what Susan and Roland had was love, or lust or just two stupid teenagers who don't know the difference, but whatever they had, it was not at all the same thing as Marten and Gabrielle. Roland had no ulterior motives to manipulate the power structure of Hambry by sleeping with Susan.

Country
    Country Flag

Well, look at it from the woman's point-of-view, then. It takes two to tango...trying to understand why Roland couldn't forgive Gabrielle...his fault then, was failing to realize that his mother is human, just as Susan had a desire, ka like a wind, when she met Roland...why couldn't he see, through Susan, that his mother may have had the same kind of desire for Marten as Susan had for him...no, their commitments weren't in the same league, but each had made a commitment prior to breaking that vow. "Unhappiness and shame are often no match for desire," from the end.

Susan was certainly unhappy with what she was forced to do. Was Gabrielle unhappy? We're not told that. Roland considers the marriage of his parents as a Bright Tower. That there could be some darkness within that tower is unacceptable to him. He can't understand how his father could know for two years. I wonder how the whore's bed, after the manhood test, plays into this?

Was Gabrielle simply a tool to Marten. For two years? Or is Gabrielle, like Jake's mother, Laurie/Megan Chambers, simply someone who "has a long history of sleeping with sick friends"?

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

: Sorry, thread lurker here :

Quote Originally Posted by Whitey Appleseed View Post
    ... ka like a wind ...
    Whitey - Do you mean Ka Is A Wheel .... or did I miss a Ka reference someplace in the books?

Just trying to follow along.
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

why couldn't he see, through Susan, that his mother may have had the same kind of desire for Marten as Susan had for him...no, their commitments weren't in the same league, but each had made a commitment prior to breaking that vow.
    I think you answered your own question. The vast difference in the nature of the commitments can't be ignored. Gabrielle broke marriage vows, Susan a vow to bear a child for someone. Again, if we presume Gabrielle entered the marriage of her own accord it contrasts greatly with the situation Susan was coerced into.

Also, don't discount the fact that Roland was a 14 year old boy. His disgust with his mother's actions are deeply personal. Gabrielle dishonored her marriage and thus, her family. Despite his abilities to carry out the actions of a much older man, Roland was nonetheless a 14 year old boy.

Was Gabrielle simply a tool to Marten. For two years? Or is Gabrielle, like Jake's mother, Laurie/Megan Chambers, simply someone who "has a long history of sleeping with sick friends"?
    The question switches from Marten's motivation to Gabrielle's, but I don't see the two as mutually exclusive. Marten could view Gabrielle as a tool and she could view him as a sexual escapade.

Quote Originally Posted by turtlex View Post
    : Sorry, thread lurker here :

... ka like a wind ...
    Whitey - Do you mean Ka Is A Wheel .... or did I miss a Ka reference someplace in the books?

Just trying to follow along.
    I believe it's a Susan Delgado thing. Didn't her dad tell her ka was like a wind? It's something I remember her saying a couple of times in W&G.

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Wow. I had completely blanked on that reference. Thanks, Jayson.
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Banned obscurejude is on a distinguished road

I think it was a subtle tie in to the Wizard of Oz Turtlex. It was only in Wizard and Glass, but Jayson is right.

Country
    Country Flag

Jayson, so you're saying that Roland probably did realize his mother could have desires for someone other than Steven? I'm a bit befuddled from reading the responses on another thread, wondering about some other things that have happened....the wonderful world of computers...anyway, thanks for the response. I'll continue to ponder the questions and they ought to provide enough grist for another read...amazing story.

And yeah, I think it was Susan's father that used the expression ka like a wind.

Jayson, so you're saying that Roland probably did realize his mother could have desires for someone other than Steven?
    Yes. I think he was old enough to realize that and it was confirmed for him when he caught Gabrielle and Marten together.

Country
    Country Flag

Still befuddled, trying to make sense. I'm sorry for what I am, to quote John Coffey. But...Steven spoke about many things over the whore’s bed to Roland. “About Roland’s mother, who was, perhaps, more sinned against than sinning.” W&G/Long After Moonset/Chap IV/Sec 1/p170

Am I high-jacking a thread? That's not my intent. That is an interesting phrase, from King Lear, fwiw...why would Steven say such a thing? Wasn't he the one wronged?

“If you really do love me, don’t let me dishonor myself. I’ve made a promise. Anything might come later, after that promise was fulfilled, I suppose…if you still wanted me…” w&g/vii/9/p270 (the blood kiss) Susan to Roland, on the Drop. Where am I going with this? Roland's fatal flaw, his inability to forgive his mother maybe.

Another kiss…she stepped forward at once.

“She was, at least for the moment, no longer her own mistress; she might consequently be his. He could do to her what Marten had done to his own mother, if that was his fancy.” Wg,vii/9/270

So Roland blamed Marten for what happened and he realized that by taking Susan he would become just like Marten. Gotta admit, first time or two through the story, Roland could do no wrong in my eyes. Now, maybe he's not such a giant.

He's wrestling with the idea of Marten and Gabrielle:
    “The thought broke his passion apart, turned it to coals that fell in a bright shower, winking out one by one in a dark bewilderment. His father’s acceptance.
    (I have known for two years)
    was in many ways the worst part of what had happened to him this year; how could he fall in love with this girl—any girl—in a world where such evils of the heart seemed necessary, and might even be repeated?”

I guess he does see, through his interaction with Susan, that his mother is to blame, as well as Marten. He's afraid of love. What is he more afraid of? Susan betraying him, or him betraying Susan?

Gunslinger Apprentice Django is on a distinguished road Django's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

OK, so I have just put down this book a moment ago and it's definitely my favorite of the series thus far. So, let me try and answer some of the questions.

9/10. It would have been a clear 10 if it only stuck to the story of the old. The Kansas parts didn't make much sense to me. Perhaps they will later on.

Which was your favorite part?

The first part of the "Come, Reap" book, when things are building up. I read that part in one day and then the rest took me a while again.

I expected it to happen, but I imagined it would be in a more gruesome way.

Thorin. I loved how Jonas was written; the typical western bad guy.

I don't see any real depth. They are not the loving kind, I guess.

Eh. None really.

Glad to hear you liked it Django. A lot of people don't. A lot do (and I am one) but there isn't a lot of middle ground with this book. I think it's somewhat dependent on whether or not you view the Mejis story as a distraction from the "main story" or a greater part of the whole story regardless of chronology. I love W&G.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    I think it's somewhat dependent on whether or not you view the Mejis story as a distraction from the "main story" or a greater part of the whole story regardless of chronology. I love W&G.
    No, at least not in my case: bears love distractions. Bear's favorite is Wolves, and the favorite part in Wolves is Callahan's story... generally, I think distractions, backstories, sidesteps, beating around the bush is King's forte.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bears indeed have their own reasoning.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Traveler Hoot is on a distinguished road

Eh, so I absolutely loved this book. I was reading Romeo and Juliet [for my English class] the same time as Wizard and Glass, and they didn't exactly mirror each other, but the similar aspects were definitely there. It was quite interesting; after finishing Wolves of the Calla [I'm on Song of Susannah now, it's starting off a bit slow...] I saw numerous similarities between the two stories as well, but nothing major. I have to say I preferred Wizard and Glass to Wolves of the Calla. The feeling of... I can't articulate it, but it just felt more epic than Wolves. In particular I absolutely loved the characterization in this. Young Roland was done superbly I believe, and Cuthbert was a treat. I do believe that Rhea was an extremely shallow character though. Would've done better to flesh her out a bit more...

I'd say around an 8.5. Although the Mejis scenes were amazing, I felt the Oz scenes and others stole the fire a bit. Though being in an alternate Kansas was cool and all, Mejis beat Kansas in cool[ness?] by miles. Although I'd rate Wolves better than Wizard and Glass, I enjoyed Wizard and Glass more, ye ken? Sorta strange, but it makes sense in my mind.

The confrontation of Cuthbert and Roland. Personally I would've been even more pleased with this scene if the conflict went further, say Roland striking back, but I suppose that'd ruin it a bit. I also loved the thought that came into Susan's head upon seeing Cuthbert smile sweetly or something... If I'd met this one first...
    The showdown at the bar comes a close second. t'was an excellent face off.

Apparently he's hot and he's witty. All it takes. Mercutio [still in my Romeo and Juliet mindset. Our class is currently on Act V] would laugh at them. But eh, they're teenagers. I thought I was in love once too. =P After that story ended, with many mistakes along the way, I just saw it for what it was: teenage infatuation. I also thought Romeo and Juliet weren't in love, and say if Romeo lived, and you'd hurl a girl foxier than Juliet onto him after [say Juliet died] Juliet's death, he'd be quick to recover from his mourning. I did think Susan and Roland was a tiny bit deeper than that, but not by much. They weren't star crossed lovers, just teenagers. This is what they do. Just they did it on a much more epic scale I guess. =P Anybody heard of the two 14 year olds who were forbidden to see each other and committed suicide? This wasn't that long ago, I believe, my rather young teacher told us about the story. ((Whoops, I trailed off a bit, but it's an interesting topic...))

I felt sadness. And anger at her aunt and to a smaller extent the townspeople.

As a gunslinger, I was dissapointed at him for letting fondness for a girl cloud his judgment. [I understand this was necessary, and I like the twist to his character though =P]
    As a person, I don't like how he never forgave his mother.

Cordelia.

Eh, they got a good shag, and they were similar people. They were fond for each other. That's it.

Cordelia's for sure. I never really cared for Rhea that much, either way.

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

4 - this out of all the series is my least favourite book, i felt too much time was spent on rolands time in mehjis and susan. i love the eddie ka tet and could not gell in the same way with the cuthbert ka tet, and the second time of reading i was very tempted to skim read (but i didn't)

any of the moments with the eddie ka tet, esp Oy's reaction to the red slippers (and esp the fact that Oy had red slippers, think an awww escaped me at that point)

because he was there, i always felt that if Cuthbert had been riding past that night susan would have fallen for him, she was scared and lonely and need reassurance after her visit with rhea. i think all the love that came after was down to that night (and to be honest i am still undecided if this was love or young age lust)

1st read - anger at the people / roland / cordelia / coral - even susan herself
    2nd re read frustration,

forgetting the face of his father, letting his penis rule over his head and letting his ka tet down. i beleive that if he had done the job he had been sent to menjhi to do no one would have had to die (but it would have been a very short book)

i was torn on this - everyone has mentioned cordelia, but she was just behaving in her nature. coral i actually felt quite sorry for her. thorin again is just behaving within his nature and being allowed to get away with it

so i cant say as anyone disgusted me, but susan did annoy the hell out of me and quite a few times i would find myself harrumphing in annoyance with her

i think they used each other, any feelings and depth that they had came from the fact that they needed each other (both bitter and twisted) and saw a lot of themselves in each other, but i would never have called it love

- picture either one or the other taking a bullet for the other, see you just cant see it can you

Whose death made you the happiest?[/QUOTE]

i cant say that any death made me happy, but like a lot of people have mentioned cordelia death held a certain kind of justice

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    I believe that there are people made for each other.
    I don't. I believe that people make their own commitments.
    I know that you didn't much like this book, but it seems odd that you feel this way about Jonas and Coral while still maintaining that
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post

because the time has come that she fall in love with anybody

Letti, why did you ask that question, and not ask why Roland fell in love with her?
    Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    Because she needed someone a lot she was lost and lonely and because Roland was a real man, a gunslinger she could trust and love. So it was because of her hopeless state and because of Roland's true inside.
    Maybe that is correct... but, if so, is that really love at all? It's all self-interest.

On a scale of 1-10 (10 = best) what would you give to this book and why?6
    Meh. It's not that great. I might have gone a little higher, though, if not for the corniness in the ending.

Which was your favourite part? Blaine

Why did Susan fall in love with Roland? I'm not at all afraid to say ka.
    Ahem. Ka.
    So there.

What did you feel when Susan was dying? Unbearable lightness of being.

What was Roland's biggest mistake in this book? Shooting Gabrielle, of course.

Who was the most disgusting character in this book? I'm gonna go with TMIB, whose nasty fingerprints were, as usual, all over. (candy: Don't you ever find nature disgusting?)

What do you think about Jonas and Coral's relationship? What was it like? Do you see any depth in it? Depth? Sure. No true love... but it was fairly realistic. It was like... utilitarian.

Whose death made you the happiest? None, really. I guess it was a relief when the canyon worked... but also very troubling. I suppose that I'll agree with Jean's point, regarding Cordelia.

Look out! Lily-sai is on a distinguished road Lily-sai's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm not going to read the others' answers, so I won't be influenced by them. I'll read them afterwards when I've finished answering.

At first it was 4 or something - I really didn't like this book. But after a recent reread, I started to appreciate it a little more. So now it would be around 6.

Getting to know Cuthbert Allgood. I really, really love him, you know.

A combination of ka and crazy young love.

It was sad only because it scarred Roland so much.

Ignoring his ka-tet and thus forgetting the face of his father.

Rhea of Cöos!!! And her awful pets. Cordelia, too.

I kind of saw it in that way that they just enjoyed and also used each other.

Happy would be a wrong word for my feelings, but.. I hope Cordelia is stuck somewhere in the todash with those monsters.

"...neither the stupid jokes nor the easy surface emotions were the truth of Cuthbert Allgood."

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    1. Letti, why did you ask that question, and not ask why Roland fell in love with her?
    Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    Because she needed someone a lot she was lost and lonely and because Roland was a real man, a gunslinger she could trust and love. So it was because of her hopeless state and because of Roland's true inside.
    2. Maybe that is correct... but, if so, is that really love at all? It's all self-interest.
    1. Good question. Maybe because Roland's love is much clearer to me. But sure it would have been a good question, too.

2. It's still love.
    Most of us try to find a partner not to be alone.. to be protected.. to belong to someone. We don't try to find our other part only because of the feeling of love... we try it so hard because we need to love and we need to be loved because of many reasons.
    If we choose a partner just because of these.. hm.. selfish wishes and instincts..maybe that's not love. It becomes love when you do find something priceless and lovable in that person. You realise that you love them because they are who they are.
    Susan did find lots of amazing things in Roland.
    just my 2 cents

Roland would have understood.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast