Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Roland and Eddie *end of series spoilers*

West Coast sarah is on a distinguished road sarah's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Roland and Eddie *end of series spoilers*

So Turtlesong and Arthur Heath were chatting it up in another thread about the relationship between Eddie and Roland.

Are they friends? Could they be friends?

I tend to lean towards Turtlesongs point of view as mentor/mentee, teacher/student.

But I would also like to add that towards the middle and end of The Wastelands, I see Roland respecting Eddie. And in the very end they were more like father/son, imo.

I really love Eddie's role in Rolands life. I think they both were teachers to eachother but never really equals like a true friendship would be.

Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa
    Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa

sugarpop <3

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I swear to Gan, I knew you were going to start this thread Sarah!

West Coast sarah is on a distinguished road sarah's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

you know me so well.

Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa
    Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa

sugarpop <3

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

And in answer to your question(s) - I think that their relationship can be seen as strictly mentor/student for a better part of the series. After all, Eddie does put a knife to Rolands throat, and if I remember correctly, Roland doesn't exactly deny that he would choose the Tower over his ka-tet.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

to me, they are friends, and have been since very soon after their first meet

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Banned The Lady of Shadows is on a distinguished road

in the beginning, i think they were adversaries - without question. then they were mentor/mentee, teacher/student. then i really think they were father/son.

eddie even calls him father as he dies.

i never really thought of them as friends. i never really thought of them as equals. i never thought of roland as equals with anyone in either of his tets. he has always seemed apart to me. separate, alone. that's part of what makes him such a tragic figure imo.

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Good points Feev, but Roland would choose the Tower over his first ka-tet as well but Alain and Bert were still his friends, no?

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm rethinking my position, and I have to say that I wouldn't consider them friends until the latter portion of the journey.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    Good points Feev, but Roland would choose the Tower over his first ka-tet as well but Alain and Bert were still his friends, no?
    I think it's a little different with those two, simply because he's known them from childhood , and their fathers are friends with his father.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by turtlesong View Post
    in the beginning, i think they were adversaries - without question. then they were mentor/mentee, teacher/student. then i really think they were father/son.

I see no contradiction. Friendship, like love, has many faces. Adversaries are closer to being friends than strangers on the street or any people indifferent to each other; teacher/student is an aspect almost every friendship has. I can't see how being friends would prevent one of them to consider the other his dinh - or metaphysical father; but, of course, I don't really believe in equality.

The White! MonteGss is on a distinguished road MonteGss's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Jean, I agree with everything you've written in this thread.
    Roland and Eddie were friends.

M.I.A. Unfound One is on a distinguished road Unfound One's Avatar

My perspective: yes, they were friends.
    I wonder from each of their perspectives what they would consider eachother though...?
    I think among the many things Eddie would consider Roland in his life - mentor, teacher, father - friend would definitely be included. I don't think he could have ever seen himself as Roland's equal though.
    Roland on the other hand, I honestly think he may have started to view Eddie as more of an equal toward the end of their journey. Not from the aspect of what he had to accomplish, but talent-wise, possibly. And yes, I do believe Roland considered Eddie his friend.

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

I agree with everything Jean and SJ said. Their relationship was complex and evolved throughout the time they knew one another, but I would definitely consider it a "friendship."

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

I definitely think their relationship was more than teacher/student, but I don't know if I would describe it as simple as friends.
    Roland and Eddie sort of went through all the relationships with each other: They were partners, enemies, teacher/student, friends, and a lot between.I can't just call Roland a teacher and Eddie a student though, because I believe that Eddie taught Roland just as much about himself as Roland taught the ka-tet about being gunslingers.
    By the end of the story, the closest 'label' I could put on Roland and Eddie would be: Brothers.

With A Fist Full Of Steel Arthur Heath is on a distinguished road Arthur Heath's Avatar

3rd Planet on the left in the Milky Way galaxy
    Country
    Country Flag

I agree with Feev about them NOT being friends, at the beginning that is. Eddie was kidnapped after all and non too happy about it. But I see love developing through time and how can you have love without friendship. I believe that Roland was everything to Eddie, mentor, teacher, father, friend.

"As for gunslingers, Roland," Cuthbert says, "I am here. And we are the last."

When two fit, it makes you think
    I got the cute one, my woman
    She says, "Lovin's all I bring"
    And it's her loving that's a wonderful thing.
    Lovin' yes we are, it's such a wonderful thing
    When two fit it makes you think
    See us both in the black
    She lays on me so relaxed.
    -Big D and The Kids Table

Palaver Castle Chef mia/susannah is on a distinguished road mia/susannah's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by turtlesong View Post

i never really thought of them as friends. i never really thought of them as equals. i never thought of roland as equals with anyone in either of his tets. he has always seemed apart to me. separate, alone. that's part of what makes him such a tragic figure imo.
    what she said.

Banned obscurejude is on a distinguished road

I'm going to think about this some more before going into detail. I lean toward the mentor/mentee relationship but they're are times when Roland seems to come down a little to Eddie's level and Eddie a little up to Roland's and its close to equal. I suppose this is what successful mentor/mentee relationships are supposed to produce- an Aristotelian notion of completed friendship- where the two wills are the same based on a common goal (telos).

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Friends, but in a "father/son" way.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RelevantCloud9 View Post
    I thought that somewhere before the end SK was going to throw in some actual relationship between Eddie and Roland. Like they were really brothers or father and son.
    Would have been interesting.
    Lovers?
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Country
    Country Flag

I thought that somewhere before the end SK was going to throw in some actual relationship between Eddie and Roland. Like they were really brothers or father and son.
    Why should blood relationship be more interesting, important or attractive than kinship in spirit? I sincerely could never understand that, neither in the so-called real life nor in books

Silverloch John_and_Yoko will become famous soon enough John_and_Yoko's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Why should blood relationship be more interesting, important or attractive than kinship in spirit? I sincerely could never understand that, neither in the so-called real life nor in books
    The adage that "blood is thicker than water" was invented by...undeserving relatives?

I think that's a quote from "Camelot"....

Country
    Country Flag

well, anything based on blood or soil, in addition to being archaic, has always struck me as obscure and irrational

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

I think first they were enemies (not just to each other but to themselves as well) but with by the time being they got teacher/student and they were really good friends, too. And when Eddie was dying they got father/son. (As people - and the world around them - are changing their relationships are changing with them.)

If two people are really close to each other their relationship gets really deep and complex so one view is not enough to describe it. Usually words are not enough at all.
    I have a friend who used to be my English teacher, now we are colleagues at the same school and sometimes I am at a higher position than her at this school but I still feel that she is the teacher and I am the student. And when we just hang around I feel we are sisters because I feel her so close.

My love (you know my Moon) is my best friend. He is my teacher many times and it might sound horrible to some but I must admit that time to time he is my father.. my whole family.

So I can't say that Roland and Eddie were just friends... one thing is sure for me. They learned to love and respect each other with all their heart and it opened the gates to an honest and respectful relationship.

Roland would have understood.

Country
    Country Flag

Awesome Letti!
    I love your description. I don't understand how anyone can say they were not friends.

Country
    Country Flag

Wow, I never got the impression that "nobody seemed to like him very much." Do you have any specific quotes or passages you can point to that may help us to understand your point of view? I for one, cannot think of any instances. They were very clearly ka-tet and the way you describe the relationships, they weren't. *shrugs*
    I'm just really confused and want to understand better.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast