Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 50 of 130 FirstFirst ... 40 48 49 50 51 52 60 100 ... LastLast
Results 1,226 to 1,250 of 3234

Thread: Star Wars Discussion

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I may... and I say may... be eating my words about the largest weekend ever. Reviews are the best of all 7... with a 95% Rotten Tomatoes. Buzz is HUGE.... I will admit defeat if I am wrong guys!!!
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I have just come back from watching Episode VII....

Meh.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by T-Dogz_AK47 View Post
    I have just come back from watching Episode VII....

Meh.
    What a guy. Lol
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Servant of Gan DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold

Sooo good. I will say that I'm pretty happy with my order predictions for where the scenes from the trailers fell in place in the movie. I was only really off on one or two from the end of the movie. Overall though I'm pretty happy with how it came out. It left me wanting more, which is always a good sign. It really felt like the movie never stopped to take a breath and was over before I even knew it. Can't wait to see it again on Saturday.

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Well, that was underwhelming. Don't believe the hype, people. It's great if you want to see inferior remixes of scenes from the "real" trilogy, I guess. Just proof they don't make them like they used to.

Servant of Gan DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold

Well, that was underwhelming. Don't believe the hype, people. It's great if you want to see inferior remixes of scenes from the "real" trilogy, I guess. Just proof they don't make them like they used to.
    I'll have to agree to disagree my friend.

Demon of the Prim skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorDodge View Post
    Oh, where to even begin? There were a ton of twists that I really liked.

I think my favourite though (and I'm sure this must have been more than a nod to the EU) was Kylo Ren's identity. That added a real emotional weight to Han and Leia's return and made the whole "finish what you started" thing actually make sense without shitting on the franchise by, say, having Luke behind the mask. There were a lot of theories as to who he was, but I liked what Abrams went with.

Kylos's downfall is one thing that people will be eager for EU material of, that's for sure!
    I think Kylo Ren is Luke's son and Han and Leia raised him after Luke went into exile. I think Ray could be Leia's daughter. Her British accent implies another father. Who is Kylo Ren's mother though?

Quote Originally Posted by skyofcrack View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DoctorDodge View Post
    Oh, where to even begin? There were a ton of twists that I really liked.

I think my favourite though (and I'm sure this must have been more than a nod to the EU) was Kylo Ren's identity. That added a real emotional weight to Han and Leia's return and made the whole "finish what you started" thing actually make sense without shitting on the franchise by, say, having Luke behind the mask. There were a lot of theories as to who he was, but I liked what Abrams went with.

Kylos's downfall is one thing that people will be eager for EU material of, that's for sure!
    I think Kylo Ren is Luke's son and Han and Leia raised him after Luke went into exile. I think Ray could be Leia's daughter. Her British accent implies another father. Who is Kylo Ren's mother though?
    Have you seen the movie yet? I thought Kylo's parentage was pretty well defined in the movie. Ray's not so much.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Someone gets my years of pessimism once Disney hopped on. They only care about making a movie just good enough you'll pay to see the next one.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Country
    Country Flag

I was desperately hoping to like this movie. Desperately hoping that the studio would learn from the mistakes made with the prequels. Desperately hoping that they would deliver some fresh perspective to the franchise....

Instead, I was fed a poor Xerox copy of A New Hope....

New Hope?....'No Hope' more like!!!

I was desperately hoping to like this movie. Desperately hoping that the studio would learn from the mistakes made with the prequels. Desperately hoping that they would deliver some fresh perspective to the franchise....

Oh man I totally disagree. Similar themes and a few similar plot points, but they way those themes and plot points where executed was drastically different. I feel like it was just similar enough that you get the wink / nod to A New Hope, but it was different enough that it didn't feel the same. I honestly just can't wait for more.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Chewy, pissed in your cornflakes again?
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Country
    Country Flag

Different generations are going to have different takes on it. I grew up with the originals, so the story in this one sucked ass from my perspective. More holes in it than a kilo of swiss cheese....

#awfulplot #wtf

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Different generations are going to have different takes on it. I grew up with the originals, so the story in this one sucked ass from my perspective. More holes in it than a kilo of swiss cheese....

#awfulplot #wtf

I guess I can understand to a degree. I recall watching the first film when it came out and just being totally amazed at what was on the screen. I mean, if you think back, NO ONE had EVER done anything like that in film before!!!! It was groundbreaking and just like watching "The Usual Suspects" a second time, you'll just never get that same feeling again.

For the record, the story line of "A New Hope" was really never much more than a Sci-Fi version of a very old and tested fantasy story done in similar fashion a hundred times over. It was the "feel" of the original that was unique and new and wonderous. Very hard to top that again. IMHO
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Country
    Country Flag

At least Jar Jar Binks, didn't show up.... That would have finished me off!!

Demon of the Prim killjoy72 is a jewel in the rough killjoy72 is a jewel in the rough killjoy72 is a jewel in the rough killjoy72's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I just got back from seeing it this morning. Thanks to being jaded by the prequels, I pretty much went in neutral- I've avoided much of the hype, leaked production developments and any spoilers. Like many of my generation, I've always loved Star Wars. Not SW everything; the toys maybe, but I never read the EU books, comics, or video games growing up. It just wasn't the same.

However, I really enjoyed The Force Awakens. No, not The Greatest Movie Ever (neither was anything from the original trilogy), but then again it didn't have to be. It's supposed to be fun, escapist, sci/fantasy adventure. And TFA delivered.

Now that the story is established, here's hoping that they get a bit more bolder the next time out. It was great visiting this universe again (it did feel a bit like coming home) and I am looking forward to seeing it again next week.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

After letting the events brew in mind for the past few days, I've decided that I really liked, but not loved the new film like I thought I would.

It was a very fun, very kinetic, and gorgeously shot Star Wars films, but as another here mentioned it played it too safe. There were several key new elements, yet there was always a lingering sense of deja vu that never dispelled throughout.

Having said that, I still think this film is different enough to stand on its own two feet. The two leads worked very well together. Abrams' bag of tricks meshed perfectly with the Star Wars aesthetic. Driver was fantastic as the unremitting, remorselessness Kylo Ren. Some of the slapstick between Rey, Finn and Solo did not work for me, but Disney was always going to consider the young crowd so I had no problem with it.

I'm glad the story was bare bones. The original trilogy - which we all agree is the superior trilogy - was always about elemental good and evil. The prequels bogged down the mysticism with politics so I'm happy to see this trilogy has jettisoned all that narrative dead weight and went back to what works.

The aerial dog fights were exciting, yet I found myself wanting more hand to hand (lightsaber) combat, although I understand it wasn't possible because of story reasons. The moment Luke's lightsaber switched on I felt giddy at the thought of hearing it clashing against another once again. I'm fully expecting the sequels to feature this more prominently as Luke trains Rey in the ways of the Force.

I loved the Kylo/Solo reveal and the fact that Luke, for all of his vast powers, was not able to reverse Ren's descent into the dark side. Echoes of the past. The encounters between these two in the next films will be pivotal to the overarching story.

All in all, a solid entry and worthy successor of the original trilogy. I'm beyond excited to see what Disney has in store for us in the near future.

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Perfectly put, Feev. You've summed up everything I enjoyed about the film as well as the slight problems with it. Definitely agreed on the Kylo/Solo reveal.

By the way, shall we finally talk about the elephant in the room? What did everyone think of Solo's death and how it was handled? I really liked to say that I cried at that point, but for me, it fell just a little bit...flat. Partially because it was just a little too predictable. Still a bit shocking, admittedly, but not as much of a tearjerker as it should have been, considering it's the death of a childhood hero. Or was that just me?
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I saw the movie last night. I agree with Feev's post. I also agree with DoctorDodge. Han Solo's death was a bit flat. I think they could have done better for an iconic character who hasn't been onscreen in 30+ years.

Otherwise, great movie.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Gunslinger Apprentice mtdman has a spectacular aura about mtdman has a spectacular aura about mtdman's Avatar

My Mood
    Angry
    Country
    Country Flag

I've seen it twice now, went on Thursday night and again today. I liked the movie, didn't love it. But it was enjoyable and I don't care if it mirrored ANH. It should, they are setting up the new characters to continue the story of light vs dark and the continuing story of the Skywalker family. And if you look at real life, generations of the same family often make the same mistakes over and over again. It is interesting to see that play out with this new generation of Skywalkers/Solos. I thought Abrams and Disney did a great job in creating a movie like the originals and help to take the horrible taste that the prequels left behind. I was 5 when ANH came out, and remember seeing it for the first time in the theater as a kid. This movie brought back the excitement and adventure of the originals.

I thought they did a GREAT job overlapping the old characters with the new ones, and giving the new guys a 'rub' if you will. The writing was pretty good too, not that convoluted nonsense from the prequels. Dialogue was funny. And these new guys have a lot of depth, the characters are well written. And well acted. You really care about what happens to them and that helps to get you into the movie.

But who really stole the movie was Harrison Ford. You could tell he really liked his role this time, he really enjoyed playing Han in this movie, and really excelled at the part. I have always thought he kinda phoned it in in ROTJ. This was Han at his best, a la Empire.

Carrie Fischer looked horrible. Chewbacca never seems to age though.

The chase scenes with the star ships and the space battles are very well done, look real and not cgi like the prequels. Overall there's a big feeling of realness to this movie, in contrast to the last 3 Lucas did that were all green screen crap.

After seeing the movie for the 2nd time, I came up with some new things the 2nd time through.

1. When Rey is getting the flashback from the light saber, I swear I heard a voice calling her name, and it sounded like Obi Wan.
    2. Han is afraid to face his son, you can see it on his face. I think he knows he's going to die when he goes to face him on the bridge.
    3. Rey's face when she finds Luke in the end and holds out the light saber to him. She goes from being scared and uncertain to calm and confident in the course of 5 seconds and it's all on her face. Great acting.
    4. Luke is standing in front of a small vertical stone at the end when Rey finds him. It looks like a grave marker. Is he standing in front of his wife's grave? Is Rey his daughter?
    5. I took my employees to see the movie with me, my treat. We were discussing the movie after. They complained about Kylo Ren, and how he seemed a little petulant like a little child. I pointed out, he was acting like Anniken when he was younger.
    Is Rey Luke's daughter? Or a secret kid from Leia and Han? Time will only tell.
    I'm excited to see the Han Solo movie after this. I hope Ford is in it, a little bit. Maybe a little back story leading up to the movie. They better pick a good actor to play him.

Gunslinger Apprentice Johnny Alien is just really nice Johnny Alien is just really nice Johnny Alien is just really nice Johnny Alien is just really nice Johnny Alien's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

It was lots of fun but I do agree they chose a very easy path by copying new hope so closely. It's pretty much a framework duplicate of that film. I would argue that it's actually a better film than ANH though. I think Rey is the younger sister of Kylo Ren and she was moved to protect her when Snoke lured Ben away from his family. In the original trilogy Luke followed up the destruction of the death star by finding yoda and training with him. This is clearly set up to once again mirror the original except with Rey and Luke. Like Empire I expect the family reveal to happen in the next film. Great film but WAY to familiar.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I got spoiled on Han dying, then again, I totally expected it since he was this film's Obi-Wan it seems.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Country
    Country Flag

I really resented this "passing of the torch" to the "kids" bullshit. Fuck off, my generation's characters are Star Wars!

Take your emo remix of Vader and shove it up your ass, J J Abrams.

Gunslinger Apprentice mtdman has a spectacular aura about mtdman has a spectacular aura about mtdman's Avatar

My Mood
    Angry
    Country
    Country Flag

I really resented this "passing of the torch" to the "kids" bullshit. Fuck off, my generation's characters are Star Wars!

Take your emo remix of Vader and shove it up your ass, J J Abrams.
    Then you should go stick your head in the sand and keep watching ep 4-6. The rest of us will enjoy seeing where the story goes from here.

And btw, I'm your generation and I can't wait to see where the new kids take us.

Guardian of the Beam cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Went last night with a large group f friends - 17 in all - we went in waves to get in line and try to get everyone together. As it was, red team, the first group to depart (all the guys - 4 adults who grew up on the original - all in their 40's and 4 boys - age 7-13) actually was first in line. So we ended up getting great seats with everyone together. There was a casualty from gold team (isn't there always?) as someone wanted to tag along but the movie sold out about 30 minutes before show time.

I've watched them all, and am one who will not care to watch the prequels, will only watch the "original Han shoots first and only trilogy (fortunately I have that on DVD before those prices went through the roof) and have now enjoyed watching animated clone wars and rebels with my 7 year old (as he enjoys playing with my original figures from the 70/80's - as my parents kept a huge box of my original childhood toys). When we watched the real trilogy to get ready it was a wonderful experience with my son. So that's my Star Wars background leading up to the new trilogy.

I have to say I enjoyed myself. I'm not getting into all of the comparisons, Yada, Yada, Yada. I enjoyed all of the little iconic throw ins from the old movies (even seeing the blaster ball that obi wan used for Luke from ANH). I enjoyed the fact the it was all about the characters and their development and that they took center stage - not a screen full of CGI characters with a mass of humanity in the background - and that they filled the screen like the originals. I'll catch all of the things I missed when I eventually watch the DVD (I'm good seeing it once in the theater).

Afterwards the group consensus was that they all enjoyed it. There was a large discussion afterwards - and that was great to see. All f the women had an enjoyable time - even though most weren't raised on the series, nor had seen all of the other movies. The kids loved it and we're at the forefront of the discussion and that was great to see.

My only sadness was from the boys - when I asked a simple question - did Han shoot first? Of course they said no, greedo does, but they've heard rumors that there exists a movie out there where Han shoots. And they have to deal with the crap of seeing a slithering jabba in the bastardized ANH - which ruins the feel of that movie for me - and takes away the mystique of the later originals. So for that I feel a little bad for them. Not my son, since I raised him right .

I'm looking forward to the next two. They improved upon the sour taste of the prequels. Just my two cents.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 50 of 130 FirstFirst ... 40 48 49 50 51 52 60 100 ... LastLast