Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 130 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 25 65 115 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Wars Discussion

shrewd and knavish sprite flaggwalkstheline will become famous soon enough flaggwalkstheline's Avatar

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by The Cosmic Geek View Post
    Darth Maul died off way too early and easy in the series. I was hoping he'd make it to Ep 3 and fight Vader.

Though, in an issue of Star Wars Tales, a comic, Vader and Maul fight and Vader kicks Maul's butt, so cool too.

In another issue Han Solo meets Indiana Jones. Sort of.
    I also read a comic series involving darth mauls clones ala joruss c'baoth
    (from Zanns' heir to the empire story)
    if the worlds gonna end then let's get it over with, i got shit to do

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The biggest problem I has with the prequels was this:
    The original trilogy was full of surprises. You were surprised when Darth Cader first walked out, you were saddened when Obi Wan was killed, you CHEERED when the Death Star blew up, you were stunned by Lando's betrayal, you were puzzled when Yoda said "No. There is another.", you were SHOCKED when Darth Vader proclaimed "I am your father.", and stunned even further to learn "Your father he is." Those were what the trilogy was about: the shocks, the surprises. Lucas forgot that and concentrated the prequels on the special effects. Yeah, it's a space opera so you know it's special effects, but it looked more REAL in the trilogy than it did in the prequels. It looked used to use Lucas's words while the prequels looked computer generated. I have honestly seen animated films that seemed more real because they weren't about the animation, they were about the story.

And as far as surprises went, name three. Cause I can't.

I knew, for fact, before The Phantom Menace started that Qui Gon was going to die. I saw it on opening day, the first showing at midnight and had avoided any Star Wars press prior to the film. Yet I still knew because I had seen the soundtrack CD and it FUCKING TOLD ME ON THE BACK OF THE GOD DAMN THING!!!! I knew before the movie ended who Luke's mother was. The only real surprise was Uncle Owen not being Obi Wan's brother. That was the big surprise for me through ALL the sequels.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

shrewd and knavish sprite flaggwalkstheline will become famous soon enough flaggwalkstheline's Avatar

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

Actually the thing is that the surprises in the old ones are still surprises since they still came out first and the biggest surprise in the new trilogy is cancelled out by the old trilogy namely: anakin turning to the darkside
    watching from an objective point of view anyway that is in order without being familiar with any of the other ones that would be the biggest surprise

also I think the fact that everything looks shiny and new in the prequals compared to the original trilogy is cool, it means everything went to hell and nobody took care of their ships as well when the empire took over

Otter of the Prim cozener will become famous soon enough cozener will become famous soon enough cozener's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Say what you will, like Star Wars...hate it. But if you don't think that watching Yoda go super ninja with his lightsaber with Dooku and then Palpatine was about as cool a thing as you've ever seen on film youre just straight up fucking lost.

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

I though watching Mace windus (unfairly lost) fight with the emperor was one of the most intense things Ive ever seen on a film
    The first time I saw it I barely surpressed an urge to yell "Say What again Mother Fucker!"
    it looked like he was going to win

Country
    Country Flag

I didn't say the movies weren't cool and that I didn't care seeing Yoda go all whoop ass on Dooku and Palpatine. I loved it. I'm just saying that Lucas forgot how to tell a great story. He forgot the suspense and the surprises that could have been put in there.

Imagine if you will this image.

Kamino: You see a man who is obviously the donor for the clones since they all look like him (forget about him wanting a clone to raise) and Obi Wan comes to Kamino. The man hides until Obi Wan leaves having learned the truth. The man then says his time to leave has come and he leaves, but before he leaves you see his closet open and you see not the armor of Jango Fett, but of the infamous Boba Fett instead. HOLY SHIT!!! Boba fucking Fett is the guy they cloned?!? And he heads to Geonosis where you get to see HIM really fight, in his heyday, in his prime. Wouldn't it have been just a fucking awesome to see Boba Fett fighting in the same film you got to see Yoda start whoopin' him some ass? That would have been one neat surprise IMO.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

Country
    Country Flag

It was a bit of a shock to see Anakin kill Windu, but you KNEW Windu wasn't going to survive. The real shocker for me was Anakin killing the children. THAT was a stunning and emotional scene.

Banned obscurejude is on a distinguished road

I thought it was shocking that the clones were hispanic. I just didn't see that one coming for whatever reasons. Not saying it was a bad thing, just surprising. Especially considering how mythic Boba Fett's identity has been all these years.

Good points Sam. I think the prequels just weren't directed very well. All the cast are phenomenal actors, but it was like they were forced to remain subdued besides a few scenes. There's also the sense that the special effects ball just couldn't stop once it got rolling. The older ones were filmed on sets, and I think you just get better performances when the majority of it isn't in front of green screens. The fucking Jedi Temple was CGI.

Country
    Country Flag

Exactly!

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

I have to agree that all the CGI takes away from the new trilogy. Especially when any aerial shots of the Storm Trooper army was CGI too. WTF?! Use real actors for crying out loud.
    But, as much as it irritates me, I can at least understand why Lucas chose to shoot 1-3 this way. I mean look at the first three movies. They were filmed when there weren't a whole lot of options as far as creating special effects, beings from other planets, etc in a 'galaxy far away'.
    Jump ahead 20 something years and he has basically every resource at hand for creating an awesome fictional reality. Of course he's gonna create elaborate CGI beings rather than using muppets. I mean, the man finally has the ability to show the story how he wants with no limitations.

Gunslinger Apprentice The Cosmic Geek is on a distinguished road

Wow, these are excllent SW related posts!

OK:

Flaggwalkstheline: Zahn's novels are just awesome. They helped rekindle the love of SW back in the 90's, and the comic adaptations are pretty cool too.

Sam- I agree totally with you about the surprises in the OT trilogy, and yeah, they do seem sort of canceled out if you watch them in order, which kind of sucks.

Cosener- I love the Yoda/Dooku fight.

I wish Jango Fett didn't die so quickly, he was a pretty cool character.

Is anyone watching The Clone Wars series? I did see the movie and didn't really love it, but the series is actually pretty good. I plan to get the DVD when it comes out since I've missed a few episodes.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I am saddened by the prequels. The took the worlds greatest villain and turned him into a whiny little baby. Even Luke was stronger, resisted the dark side of the force even if it meant he was going to die.

The also ruined Yoda for me.

But I love the original three. When Han comes out of the sun to shoot Vader off Lukes back, one of the best moments in movie history. I saw originals on the screen when I was a kid and people literally stood up and cheered.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Its not that I didn't like the CGI Yoda, but I prefer the Frank Oz puppet by far. Even though its only 10-15 years later in Empire there's this huge disparity between the bouncing coke fiend of the prequels and the K and S Dogobah early bird of the originals.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

It wasn't even that for me. Yoda told Obi Wan that they could not lose. It was the whole reason he went after the emperor.

Got punked and then slipped away. Obi Wan didn't get the job done either but he sure as hell made some headway.

Yeah, good point Matt. That being said, I guess Luke and Leia were always the aces up the sleeve.

I was really surprised when Obi Wan got his ass kicked by Dooku in Clones. I was further perplexed that he beat Anakin in Revenge. Neither duels were as cool as his battle with Maul in my opinion. I guess I just expected more since he was basically a lone survivor the originals and kicked a Sith's ass.

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Pfft!! Luke and Leia--sure, we'll let the Empire rape the universe for 20 years and hope for the best.

I prefer Yoda as a puppet, especially in Empire and Jedi, Oz did such great work. And while Yoda was so many years younger in EP 1, I really didn't like how the puppet looked, but that is a minor complaint. I understand the need to do Yoda CGI for the fight scenes, but I don't know why they just couldn't have done a puppet for all the other scenes than match it up CGI for the fight ones, that would seem to make more sense to me at least anyway.

And, while the final battle between Obi Wan and Anakin was very emotional and good, I wanted more. These guys had a father/son reltationship for so many years, and than were like brothers, they meant dearly to each other.

After their exchange before they fight (and I love the shot of over Anakin's shoulder is dark skies and lava and hatred, and over Obi Wan's is a cloud shining through that ashy sky, like a final glimpese of hope before all goes to chaos) I feel Obi Wan just gave up too easily on his friend. During the battle I would have liked to seen Obi Wan, while fighting, trying to bring Anakin back to the Light Side of the Force, so that, when he finally has to strike him down, it is because there was no other way.

Also, after he wounds Anakin and he lays there on the ground in pain, when Anakin begins to touch the lava and erupts into flames, I would have liked to seen Obi Wan try to reach down and grab his friend, only to see Anakin, in so much pain both physicall and mentally, Force Push Obi Wan aside, that he would rather burn alive than be helped by his former friend.

At least that is what I would have liked to have seen.

Sorry that was so long!

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I think after Obi Wan saw the security tape of Vader (because he was Vader by then) killing the little kids...he figured it was a lost cause.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I think after Obi Wan saw the security tape of Vader (because he was Vader by then) killing the little kids...he figured it was a lost cause.
    True, good point.

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

And, while the final battle between Obi Wan and Anakin was very emotional and good, I wanted more. These guys had a father/son reltationship for so many years, and than were like brothers, they meant dearly to each other.

As many complaints as I have about the second trilogy, I still get chills when Obi Wan screams "You were the chosen one!"

[a tear]

Quote Originally Posted by Girlystevedave View Post

As many complaints as I have about the second trilogy, I still get chills when Obi Wan screams "You were the chosen one!"

[a tear]

Yeah, that is a great scene. I like it since he is showing his emotions in that scene, something a Jedi really doesn't do.

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

a scene that really got to me was in attack of the clones when anakin slaughters the camp of sand people in a fit of rage, not as bad as killing the kids but nonetheless pretty harsh

That is a good scene.

Love in Jedi when Luke gives in to his rage for a moment and is striking Vader, knocks him down, takes his hand, and before giving the final blow realizes he is on the path of the Dark Side like Vader was, and throws away his lightsaber, not destroying Vader.

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Girlystevedave View Post

[a tear]
    I think Obi Wan is the best feature of the 2nd trilogy
    Buddy, you think you look strong? You’re wearing a cape.

I loved Obi Wan in the prequels. Ewan McGregor was excellent casting. He did a pretty good Alec Guiness voice and I like how in each film you can see Obi Wan go from young Padawan to teaer to Jedi Master. Each film representing each stage in his Jedi career was handled very well.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 130 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 25 65 115 ... LastLast