Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 130 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 29 69 119 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Wars Discussion

the new Mr. Amy Pond! Mordred Deschain is on a distinguished road Mordred Deschain's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

ya, when I first saw it I was like, "what just happened? Did Greedo shoot first? and if he shot first why did that shot go way off?" I think I even stopped watching because I felt like I was having a aneurysm (thanks Lewis Black).

The Tardis (Time And Relative Dimension(s) In Space) duh!

The White Guy Chap is on a distinguished road Chap's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

political correctness killed the Solo/Creedo scene.
    They seem to think people are so sensitive these days that a "good guy" (fighting a evil empire) would never have shot first.
    Instead of a "scruffy looking" smugler saving his own life, we get the worst bloody bounty hunter of all time who manages to miss a sitting target at a 1 meter distance.

(and speaking of PC, need I remind anyone of the guns in ET that got transformed into phones?)
    Some are born to sweet delight,

some are born to the endless night.

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Oh yeah , I forgot about that one. I won't even buy a copy of ET because of that.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

[ame="http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7mzbb_slave-princess-leia-kidchucklecom_creation"]Dailymotion - Slave Princess Leia: Kidchuckle.com, a video from kidchuckle. Princess, Leia, Slave, Star, chui[/ame]
    I found this which I thought was kinda cool.

shrewd and knavish sprite flaggwalkstheline will become famous soon enough flaggwalkstheline's Avatar

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Chap View Post
    They seem to think people are so sensitive these days that a "good guy" (fighting a evil empire) would never have shot first.
    Instead of a "scruffy looking" smugler saving his own life, we get the worst bloody bounty hunter of all time who manages to miss a sitting target at a 1 meter distance.

(and speaking of PC, need I remind anyone of the guns in ET that got transformed into phones?)
    the worst change to a great movie is the americanized version of mad max (the first one) where all the voices are dubbed over in generic american english because apparently they thought most people wouldnt understand the australian actors, the end result is a horribly butchered film where everyone sounds like the fat guy who gets tormented by the marx brothers and says stuff like "Hey whats the big idea!"
    It's not like they all were crocodile dundee-esque parodies or anything
    the crazy part is the majority of dvds n vhs copys that I've found are the butchered version!! i had to get 3 different editions of the dvd before I found the (pristine) original!
    if the worlds gonna end then let's get it over with, i got shit to do

Little Bird Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Flagg, WHERE did you get your original?! Right now I feel like I'd kill for a copy. The new parts are just terrible and every single one is completely unnecessary.

Also, I hate seeing Hayden Christiansen at the end of VI. He's so creepy!

the new Mr. Amy Pond! Mordred Deschain is on a distinguished road Mordred Deschain's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

Quote Originally Posted by flaggwalkstheline View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chap View Post

the worst change to a great movie is the americanized version of mad max (the first one) where all the voices are dubbed over in generic american english because apparently they thought most people wouldnt understand the australian actors, the end result is a horribly butchered film where everyone sounds like the fat guy who gets tormented by the marx brothers and says stuff like "Hey whats the big idea!"
    It's not like they all were crocodile dundee-esque parodies or anything
    the crazy part is the majority of dvds n vhs copys that I've found are the butchered version!! i had to get 3 different editions of the dvd before I found the (pristine) original!
    WHAT!?!? Your kidding me? I never heard of that! OH, not that I'm arguing, I just find that amazing. I can understand Australian and like you said it's not like everyone was Dundee or anything. I mean I believe you I really do, but why mess with a good thing?

The Tardis (Time And Relative Dimension(s) In Space) duh!

Along the Path of the Beam Slash281 is on a distinguished road Slash281's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Am I the only one who gets annoyed by the inconsistency in the Stormtroopers abilities throughout the series, especially the books and video games. Sometimes they're portrayed as elite killers and guards, and other times they just get butt fucked by the rebels. You would assume that since all the Stormtroopers had to be trained in the Imperial academy for several years they'd be able to shoot straight. Granted, most rebels went there too, but they dropped out. They couldn't have been as adept in battle as the Stormtroopers, especially since they had so little experience. I'm kind of just on a nerd rant, but is no one else bothered by this?

Banned obscurejude is on a distinguished road

That's a good point Slash, and I've been bothered by it a few times, but not enough to not enjoy the movies. I just figured it had to do with the PG rating. The aim of the rebels is nothing to write home about in most of their occurences either.

I also think that Lucas was trying to make the case that there's virtue in the passion that comes from conviction- what the rebels possessed and the empire lacked in large part. That being said, the bounty hunters (with the exception of Greedo ) were pretty acclimated in combat. I guess they hadn't fallen privy to the malaise that characterized the bland unanimity of the Empire.

Along the Path of the Beam Slash281 is on a distinguished road Slash281's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I never think of these things from the perspective of the film maker. I always think of Star Wars as it's own little reality. So I have to take personal issue with any minor problems I see with it.

Of course the Stormtrooper stuff never interfered with my enjoyment of the movies. Those are my favorite movies ever.

About the Han shooting first thing. Greedo was actually a very low-class bounty hunter, as evidenced in the short story A Hunter's Fate: Greedo's Tale. The thing that bothered me about the scene was how poorly they re-did it. It could have been done much better, and not nearly as many people would've complained.

Quote Originally Posted by Slash281 View Post

About the Han shooting first thing. Greedo was actually a very low-class bounty hunter, as evidenced in the short story A Hunter's Fate: Greedo's Tale. The thing that bothered me about the scene was how poorly they re-did it. It could have been done much better, and not nearly as many people would've complained.
    Yeah, good point, but my beef with it has to do with people not being able to accept that Han, an archetypical rogue space cowboy, would do such a thing as shoot first.

But it was done absolutely horribly. My favorite of the original trilogy remains the pre special editions. I hate cgi with the passion of a fiercely masturbatory baboon.

Han was edgy- it was part of his appeal. I never understood what the big deal over Greedo was. It makes his redemption less significant because of the lack of contrast between the beginning and end of A New Hope.

Banned sarajean is on a distinguished road

I never think of these things from the perspective of the film maker. I always think of Star Wars as it's own little reality. So I have to take personal issue with any minor problems I see with it.

Of course the Stormtrooper stuff never interfered with my enjoyment of the movies. Those are my favorite movies ever.

tales from the mos eisley cantina is one of my favourite star wars books ever.
    Last edited by sarajean; 04-08-2009 at 08:48 PM. Reason: :eta: italics

Country
    Country Flag

One of mine too sarajean. The Tales of the Bounty Hunters was pretty good too though.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

yes, that one was also good. *nods*

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by obscurejude View Post

Yeah, good point, but my beef with it has to do with people not being able to accept that Han, an archetypical rogue space cowboy, would do such a thing as shoot first.

But it was done absolutely horribly. My favorite of the original trilogy remains the pre special editions. I hate cgi with the passion of a fiercely masturbatory baboon.

Han was edgy- it was part of his appeal. I never understood what the big deal over Greedo was. It makes his redemption less significant because of the lack of contrast between the beginning and end of A New Hope.
    I don't think it actually came out making him look more like I good guy, it looks like he did it just to be cool, since his expression never changes.

There's a lot of Death in Star Wars, how many hundreds of thousands of people died when they blew up the Death Star? I don't think it would hurt the kiddies any more if Han shot the prick in the face without endangering himself. In fact, maybe it's some useful advice.

Pro Tip: Don't get shot at.

Country
    Country Flag

tales from the mos eisley cantina is one of my favourite star wars books ever.
    One of mine too sarajean. The Tales of the Bounty Hunters was pretty good too though.
    yes, that one was also good. *nods*
    Don't forget Tales from Jabba's Palace.

I love em' all, but I think Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina was the best.

Quote Originally Posted by obscurejude View Post

I don't think it actually came out making him look more like I good guy, it looks like he did it just to be cool, since his expression never changes.

There's a lot of Death in Star Wars, how many hundreds of thousands of people died when they blew up the Death Star? I don't think it would hurt the kiddies any more if Han shot the prick in the face without endangering himself. In fact, maybe it's some useful advice.

Pro Tip: Don't get shot at.
    That was the reasoning of Lucas, as I understand it. That's why I brought it up, but your points are good ones. I'll take your tip into consideration.

Country
    Country Flag

Here's a good one. Do you think the events of The Force Unleashed broke canon in any way? I seem to be hearing this from a lot of people. I don't agree, but I'd like to hear your opinions.

Also, do you think the addition of the whole Midi-Chlorian thing was a cop out just to explain Vader's weakness in the later films? What's your take?

Here's a good one. Do you think the events of The Force Unleashed broke canon in any way? I seem to be hearing this from a lot of people. I don't agree, but I'd like to hear your opinions.

Also, do you think the addition of the whole Midi-Chlorian thing was a cop out just to explain Vader's weakness in the later films? What's your take?
    I've only played the demo to Force Unleashed, but I'm planning on buying it pretty soon so I'll get back to you on that one.

I hated the biological description of the force. Lucas took something that was mystical, esoteric, and fantastical- and had to fuck it up with science in my opinion. Honestly, I think he introduced it in order to bring in the biblical theme of the virgin birth without having to simultaneously discuss divinity.

Country
    Country Flag

Tales from Jabba's Palace was not the best in the world. The writing was good, but the characters just weren't as compelling. The Cantina stories had "Mos Eisley spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy." bit behind it, and the bounty hunter stories had... well, the bounty hunters. Jabba's palace had no real build up like that behind it.

i'm just going to go ahead and say it:

FUCK the prequels and the reissued original three. they have no place in my heart, none what-so-ever. i pretend they don't exist as they make me sad.

Country
    Country Flag

The whole Midi-Chlorian thing was Lucas's way to try to make Anakin to be some sort of Christ figure. He failed... miserably. Had he left that whole part out, and simply given his father no name, gone with a sexual assault angle, or just said the father was dead before Anakin was born then things would have been just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    The whole Midi-Chlorian thing was Lucas's way to try to make Anakin to be some sort of Christ figure. He failed... miserably. Had he left that whole part out, and simply given his father no name, gone with a sexual assault angle, or just said the father was dead before Anakin was born then things would have been just fine.
    It fucks up the magical ambiance of some of my favorite scenes of the originals. Like when Yoda lifted the X Wing out of the swamp. What am I supposed to say now, "He had a high midi-chlorian count." How can "do or do not, there is no try" fit into the equation as outlined by Qui Gon?

Quote Originally Posted by sarajean View Post
    i'm just going to go ahead and say it:

FUCK the prequels and the reissued original three. they have no place in my heart, none what-so-ever. i pretend they don't exist as they make me sad.
    HEAR! HEAR!

Country
    Country Flag

Again, I never think of it from the film makers perspective. So I never gave much thought to the Bible references. I always thought it was because he needed to make it so that in between the prequels and Star Wars, Vader had to become a huge pussy. How do you do that? Well you make it so that living tissue controls the force, and since Vader is mostly a cyborg at this point he can barely use it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 130 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 29 69 119 ... LastLast