Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 98 of 130 FirstFirst ... 48 88 96 97 98 99 100 108 ... LastLast
Results 2,426 to 2,450 of 3233

Thread: Star Wars Discussion

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

Mae, sure, and that’s great, in that they are building a consistent world, but it also constrains your storytelling. The more you overlaps characters and settings, the more constrained you are.

I think the first season did it pretty much perfect. They were references to things we knew, but not so many that anything really needed to be explained; Those references were not constraining. There was no overlap with other stories or characters to any great extent.

Similarly, I think you could mention Boba Fett in passing in an episode, acknowledging that he exists in this universe, but once you bring him on screen, he brings with him his whole history throughout every medium. It’s the fact that everything is Canon which creates a storytelling problem whenever someone with in universe history is introduced - You are not allowed to contradict what went before.

So I’m not saying you don’t need to be consistent with the rest of the universe – you always do. But it’s easier to do that, and still tell the story you want to tell, if your story takes place in a small pocket of the universe using characters who are completely new.

Servant of Gan DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold

Ehh I'm not worried about it. They did a good job with Season 1, and Filoni has always done a good job tieing the stuff he's involved with together / back to the greater overarching Star Wars Universe. So as long as Dave Filoni is still involved then I think we're good and I'm really not worried about it.

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DanHocker View Post
    Ehh I'm not worried about it. They did a good job with Season 1, and Filoni has always done a good job tieing the stuff he's involved with together / back to the greater overarching Star Wars Universe. So as long as Dave Filoni is still involved then I think we're good and I'm really not worried about it.
    Yeah, you're probably right. Given Season 1, they deserve more credit than I'm giving them.

HBJ
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven (Zafon)
    Ilium (Simmons)

A couple of weeks late, I just saw the announcement of the Squadrons video game - a space combat simulation game along the lines of X-Wing and Rogue Squadron sone 30 years ago.

I’m not much of a gamer, but I played X-Wing and it’s successors for many many hours back in the day. One of the best Star Wars video games ever made-you really felt like you were a pilot in one of the space battles from the original trilogy. If this new game-which has both single player and multiplayer mode – is anything like that series of yore, I’m in. And it will be released on PC, which means I might need to dust off that old USB joystick.

HBJ
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”

Ilium (Simmons)

Servant of Gan DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by Hunchback Jack View Post
    A couple of weeks late, I just saw the announcement of the Squadrons video game - a space combat simulation game along the lines of X-Wing and Rogue Squadron sone 30 years ago.

I’m not much of a gamer, but I played X-Wing and it’s successors for many many hours back in the day. One of the best Star Wars video games ever made-you really felt like you were a pilot in one of the space battles from the original trilogy. If this new game-which has both single player and multiplayer mode – is anything like that series of yore, I’m in. And it will be released on PC, which means I might need to dust off that old USB joystick.

HBJ
    I was partial to the Tie Fighter game myself. I wonder if this will be more "simulation" in the sense of the X-Wing and Tie Fighter games or less like the Rouge Squandron games. I haven't really followed too many of the details on this game, other than the fact that it exists.

There’s a trailer, but it’s hard to tell from it whether the game is more like XWing or rogue squadron. There is one section which seems to take place near the surface of a planet, where there is a definite “up“ and “down“, more like rogue squadron. However, the space battle missions seem to have the same look and feel as XWing and tie fighter, and I hope they have full three dimensional motion and orientation.

Ilium (Simmons)

There’s a trailer, but it’s hard to tell from it whether the game is more like XWing or rogue squadron. There is one section which seems to take place near the surface of a planet, where there is a definite “up“ and “down“, more like rogue squadron. However, the space battle missions seem to have the same look and feel as XWing and tie fighter, and I hope they have full three dimensional motion and orientation.
    Mostly I'm wondering how "simulationy" they'll be. I'm sure they won't be essentially on a flat plane like Rouge Squandron was. Tie Fighter and X-Wing were simulation heavy games, where Rouge Squandron was more of an arcade style. I'm leaning towards more Rouge Squandron, just because those types of games have a lot more "wide" appeal than the simulation heavy games like Tie Fighter and X-Wing.

Mostly I'm wondering how "simulationy" they'll be. I'm sure they won't be essentially on a flat plane like Rouge Squandron was. Tie Fighter and X-Wing were simulation heavy games, where Rouge Squandron was more of an arcade style. I'm leaning towards more Rouge Squandron, just because those types of games have a lot more "wide" appeal than the simulation heavy games like Tie Fighter and X-Wing.
    How are you distinguishing "simulation" from "arcade style"? While I agree that X-wing had quite complex controls (a la a flight simulator), I thought the gameplay was quite arcade-y, in that there were specific missions you had to complete, usually involving combat, and there was an overarching story line.

HBJ

Ilium (Simmons)

How are you distinguishing "simulation" from "arcade style"? While I agree that X-wing had quite complex controls (a la a flight simulator), I thought the gameplay was quite arcade-y, in that there were specific missions you had to complete, usually involving combat, and there was an overarching story line.

HBJ
    Generally speaking when it comes to games it's controls and game physics. I don't think game physics will play much of a part here, as it's Star Wars, so it'll largely have to ignore physics. But the breakdown of the way they approach controls / the difficulty curve will be what really determines what camp the game falls into. Rouge Squandron isn't really a good comparison as it was largely limited by the platform it was on. A better comparrison would probably X-Wing / Tie Fighter vs. The flight modes in the new Battlefront games. I haven't played enough air plane games to make a good comparison there, but I know that comparison exists in that space.

Personally I prefer the simulation style, but this game is probably going to be on consoles and PC so it probably won't be heavy on the simulation front, as simulation heavy "flight" games tend to really work better with a joystick than a controller.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Did you guys hear this crazy ass rumor?? I've seen in on a couple different outlets.

New rumor suggests Disney will reset ‘Star Wars’ universe, erase ‘The Last Jedi’ and ‘Rise of Skywalker’

An unconfirmed and potentially bogus internet rumor suggests Disney may reset the entire “Star Wars” cinematic universe, erasing “The Force Awakens,” “The Last Jedi” and “Rise of Skywalker” from the main timeline of events.

The rumor — which comes from the a YouTube channel — suggests there’s some inner turmoil at Disney about the new direction of the “Star Wars” franchise. (The YouTuber previously reported “Rise of Skywalker” spoilers and details about the “Captain Marvel” sequel.)

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    Did you guys hear this crazy ass rumor?? I've seen in on a couple different outlets.

New rumor suggests Disney will reset ‘Star Wars’ universe, erase ‘The Last Jedi’ and ‘Rise of Skywalker’

An unconfirmed and potentially bogus internet rumor suggests Disney may reset the entire “Star Wars” cinematic universe, erasing “The Force Awakens,” “The Last Jedi” and “Rise of Skywalker” from the main timeline of events.

The rumor — which comes from the a YouTube channel — suggests there’s some inner turmoil at Disney about the new direction of the “Star Wars” franchise. (The YouTuber previously reported “Rise of Skywalker” spoilers and details about the “Captain Marvel” sequel.)

Id be ok with it. Lol
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

I think they should leave it be, and strike out in a new direction. Eps 7-9 weren't great, but they exist, and they are done.

HBJ

Ilium (Simmons)

Gunslinger Apprentice Kongo is just really nice Kongo is just really nice Kongo is just really nice Kongo is just really nice Kongo is just really nice Kongo's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

"Some YouTube channel" What's done is done, and they need to just focus on the future of Star Wars. If they were to strike it from canon, it would just come off as a sign of weakness imo. Everyone wanted the same for the prequels at one point, and now the harsh opinions have softened, and there's a large cult following for them. Relegating it to a "legend" or "what if?" seems like a cheat. You released the films Disney, own it.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

It's not a rumor, I think this is just a troll. Why would someone take it seriously?

Also, I really enjoyed the sequel trilogy, all the hate for it would be a bit amusing, if it weren't so toxic.

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    It's not a rumor, I think this is just a troll. Why would someone take it seriously?

Also, I really enjoyed the sequel trilogy, all the hate for it would be a bit amusing, if it weren't so toxic.
    I agree. I like the sequel trilogy as well. It's certainly better than the prequels, and it was never going to be as good as the original trilogy. You just can't recreate what the original trilogy did. And largely the hate for it is very toxic (not all of the hate, but a large part of it).

I also enjoyed the sequel trilogy. I think the lack of a single vision for the three films is very evident, but it was a fun series, and I’m glad they were made.

I also think this is just a troll. What are Disney going to do, pretend these movies don’t exist and soft-reboot a new sequel trilogy? That would be a disaster. You’d never get any of the original trilogy cast back, and Star Wars would become a complete joke.

Ilium (Simmons)

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I think the sequels were fun and entertaining enough, that was never the issue. The lack of a singular vision as you mentioned, the retconning, and the groan inducing plot twists. Say what you will about the prequels but at least they followed and singular vision and didn't feel like a disassembled mess.

Citizen of Gilead Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag's Avatar

My Mood
    Amazed
    Country
    Country Flag

I thought the sequels were overall bad. Too much fan service in the two JJ entries. I think the prequels are better as at least Lucas had a vision and showed us different things. The only sequel I liked was The Last Jedi because at least Rian Johnson tried to be different and I actually enjoyed the Star Wars fans losing their minds over it. I can be thankful Disney has given us The Mandalorian and Rogue One.
    Looking for Suntup Brother ARC and Suntup Seed ARC

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Some actual concrete information about the future of Star Wars:

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    Some actual concrete information about the future of Star Wars:

This all sounds very promising; the key will be in the execution.

I think Star Wars can work really well as TV series, and they should do more of that ... but not too much more than that. Or, at least, they need to have variety of subject matter and tone across the different series. Like The Mandalorian, there are stories that can be told in the small corners of this universe, which just occasionally reference each other enough to unify them.

I have no idea what they should do with the movies, but taking a break to regroup seems like a good idea. Honestly, I think the option to move away from movies altogether should be on the table. Star Wars could become a TV only thing like BSG or Expanse. It wouldn't be a terrible idea. But failing that, a few standalone films might work before launching into a series.

Honestly, I'd prefer if Favreau stayed with Mandalorian as showrunner, but I can see why Disney would want to move him to oversee future films.

(Incidentally, I haven't watched this guy's video before, but I had to roll my eyes a little at his optimism. I can imagine that every Star Wars video of his is "Admittedly, Star Wars has been disappointing in the past, but the future is going to be GREAT!" That's very unfair of me to say from just one video, but the shill vibe is definitely there)

HBJ

Ilium (Simmons)

Honestly the path forward seems pretty clear to me, at least for the time being. For the main story I think they need to either jump forward in time a lot or go back in time to the old republic. Tell stories that are largely disconnected from episodes 1 - 9. Save your 1 - 9 connections for TV or spin off movies like Rouge One.

Dan, I agree, but I think they would do well to do some spin off movies first, to win back the fan base a bit. Launching a new trilogy, with new characters, and only tenuous connections to the Big Nine is risky - particularly if fans are skeptical of any Star Wars movie being good at this point.

A Boba Fett movie that connected into The Mandalorian Season 2 would have been ideal. Too late for that, unfortunately. An Obi Wan movie also would have worked.

Ilium (Simmons)

Honky Mahfah MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Cool

A link that indicates that Disney may want to try and forget that the last three movies happened and go in a different direction. But it's just a loose rumor.
    https://www.deseret.com/entertainmen...e-of-skywalker

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDuke View Post
    A link that indicates that Disney may want to try and forget that the last three movies happened and go in a different direction. But it's just a loose rumor.
    already been posted days ago man.... and discussed as well...
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Honky Mahfah MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Cool

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeDuke View Post
    already been posted days ago man.... and discussed as well...
    Sorry. Must have missed it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 98 of 130 FirstFirst ... 48 88 96 97 98 99 100 108 ... LastLast